Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

vanilla slimfast posted:

There is no difference between the red, white, and yellow cables other than the color of the connector. You can carry coax digital audio (SPDIF, normally orange) over a standard RCA cable as well

Is there a difference between composite and component cables? I've used a set of composite cables (yellow/red/white) to hook my DVD player's video to my old TV's component input without a problem, but when my friend tried it on a newer HDTV, he didn't get a good video signal (I don't remember if i was full of static or if the color was off). It went away when he replaced the cables with standard component cables, but I can't figure out why it would matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, okay. I was going from an old DVD player to an SDTV while he was going from an upcoverting DVD player to an HDTV.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Crows Turn Off posted:

I see something like the SONY HT-SS360, but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. At first glance, it looks like it has what I need. Here's Sony's site. Their site says, "The receiver detects and receives the best possible video and audio signals from all connected devices" and then plays it through the HDMI output. Am I reading that correctly?

Sure, except that there are only HDMI inputs for video, so you are SOL when it comes to using component, s-video, or composite.

I'm sorry I don't have enough experience to recommend you a better system. Someone else should do that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, that is a good segue into my question:
I think I'm going to get some decent speakers this weekend and need a receiver. I was all set on the Onkyo 507, but the inability to go analog to HDMI and being limited to only three inputs suck. I was looking at the Denon 590, but the 1610 looks good, too.

I currently only need to hook up an xbox 360, my TV audio out, and my laptop (a 1/8" plug would be nice, but I already have a y-splitter so that shouldn't be a problem), though I'd like to be able to hook up my PS2 or GameCube in the future (composite). I'll also probably end up getting a BluRay player sooner or later. I'd like it all to connect to my TV with just an HDMI cable.

On the output side, I think I'm going to go with a 2.0 setup for a while. Don't have the space to be stringing up wires for surround sound and don't want a big sub in a small apartment. However, 5.1 in the future is almost guaranteed.

It seems like the extra $30 for the 1610 is for the B speaker output. I don't see any other advantages. Am I reading that wrong? Are there any other recievers that I should be looking at while I'm at it?

EDIT: Also, anywhere I should be looking for audio equipment beyond my usual standbys of Amazon and NewEgg?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 25, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Slightly different question. Of the receivers I posted above, I decided on the Denon AVR1610. However, my friend also linked me to a Sony STR-DN1000, which is on an amazing sale and cheaper than the Denon. It has better features (mainly better upcoverting), but I'm always wary of buying Sony products for some reason.

Thoughts?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What gauge wire do I need? I'm going to have about 6 feet from the receiver to each speaker. I'm thinking 16AWG.

Are banana plugs worth the expense? They sure look cool, but it's not like I'm going to be switching components around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I ended up with the Sony STR-DN1000 because I just couldn't pass up the price. Plus, it seems to have better upconverting. I was thinking 1610 over the 590, though, because of the Zone B which, for a boring reason I don't feel like going into, may make sense for me in the future.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

qirex posted:

Let us know how it turns out, I'm curious what their mid-level offerings are like nowadays. I do know the DN1000 has one of the same annoying things as my ES which is that if you're using HDMI only you have to use the "HDMI 1-4" inputs on the remote.

Are there any brands that let you disable inputs you're not using?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Looking at this large image seems like every input (at least the video inputs) has its own button.

I'm just hoping I can get it to run my TV. All I currently do with the TV remote right now is use the power button. With a proper receiver, I will have even less use for the remote. Or vice-versa as the receiver remote doesn't have a zoom function.

VVVV
Ah, gotcha. We'll see. I think this is a slightly old model, though. Not a 2010.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wouldn't go with that Onkyo. I was all set to buy it, but it seems like you can connect up to 3 sources MAX. The system forces you to choose between using HDMI 1-3, analog 1-3, or a combination there of. Also, it seems like you still need to hook up analog wires to output analog sources (ie, you can't just use one HDMI cable to hook it up to the TV).

On the previous page I posted about a Denon in the same price range that I liked. I ended up with a Sony that I also linked to on the previous page.

I was looking at this page as a basic guide and there were some decent suggestions in the related thread:
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-guides/how-to-shop/entry-level-receivers-comparison-guide

I'm not sure about availability in the UK, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

Uthor: You can connect more than 3 sources I'm sure, since I've got that receiver. You have 4 HDMI inputs and in total 8 different sources that you can all assign to HDMI, conponent or composite.

Huh. I think I only seen one report that supports what I said. However, I see a couple of people that do mention that you have to output analog sources through an analog cable and not HDMI, which was also a deal breaker for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

Maybe i misunderstood you from the start.

No, you understood me just fine. I misunderstood the Amazon reviewer. Still, running separate cables for each type of input is weak.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Do you have the cable that's on the right side of this picture?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Does your TV have an audio out in the back? If yes to both, try hooking it up that way. Maybe your TV lowers the volume for the headphone jack.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SMP posted:

Yep, I have the cord. I checked the back of the TV and it does have an audio out. However, it's the same as the red/white ends so I can't connect anything. :arghfist::(

Yeah, it's weird that they'd give you female ends on that cord. I have a ton of male/male cords laying around, though, and didn't even think you'd have a problem hooking it up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I would get one 3.5 mm to RCA cord and one 3.5 mm y-splitter. RCA cord into the TV, y-splitter to send signals to both sets of speakers. You'll get left and right audio out of each set of speakers. Of course, you'll also have two sets of speakers when you have to change volume and it'll be a PITA to keep them at the same volume unless you can control the output audio volume through your TV.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Does the TV not have an audio out in the back? You could just get a y-splitter and plug it back there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My sis asked me to help her pick out a stereo receiver for her husband for use in the garage. I gather it's just gonna be used for AM/FM and Bluetooth, maybe piping in audio from the TV. The one part that is throwing me is that he has four speakers setup in the garage, hanging from the ceiling, and I'm getting all confused by the impedance discussion. Unfortunately, she can't get a good look at them, so I don't know what the specs on the speakers are; is 8 ohm the most common? I was assuming that he would hook them up in an A+B configuration.

I'm looking at a Pioneer SX-10AE, which says:

quote:

Note that when connecting to both SPEAKERS A and B terminals, connect speakers with 8 ohm to 16 ohm impedance to both A and B.

And a Yamaha R-S202, which says:

quote:

SPEAKERS A and SPEAKERS B 16 ohm or higher(except for North America model)

Seems like the Pioneer will work properly with a larger range of speakers in this case.

I dunno, halp?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

True home theater teen answer: install the biggest sub you can under her seat so she gets all the vibrations. :shlick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

lol if you guys think smart features are the thing that’s keeping us from $2k 90 inch TVs.

Don't the smart features bring income for the TV manufacturers as fees to get included in their interface (and as data to sell)? Kinda like how Roku makes money from companies that want good placement and not from the $30 boxes they sell.

It actually drives the cost of TVs down.