Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Directed by: Betty Thomas
Starring: Gary Cole, Shelley Long, Michael McKean, Christine Taylor

I feel dumb even trying to describe the plot of this movie, because it's the freakin' Brady Bunch Movie. I feel like every single person over the drinking age has seen this at some point since it came out in 1995. Just in case you fell through the cracks, though, here's the deal:

It's the Brady Bunch. Exactly as they were on the TV show back in the 70s. Except it's the 90s. There's no explanation, no time warp, nothing whatsoever to set this up. They live next door to a horribly skeevy real estate developer and his boozed-up wife, they go to school with kids who are fully entrenched in the Grunge Era, and they've never heard of condoms, French kissing, or the dangers of red meat--which, of course, stems not from their living in the 70s but from their living as a squeaky-clean 70s TV family. But they have no idea they're any different from the people around them (who mostly despise the Bradys for being so hosed-up, of course).

This is undoubtedly the only way a Brady Bunch movie could have worked. It's not the absolute cleverest movie in the world, but seriously, if you actually watch it and consider it, it really does have a lot of great touches. By far the best of the movie's several subplots is Jan's descent into dementia from a lifetime of being overlooked by beautiful and popular Marcia (whose best friend is a hopelessly lovelorn lesbian). Jan's session with the school counselor (played by RuPaul) in which she battles the multiplying voices in her head before shrieking out every response is hilarious.

I am also deeply fond of the Davy Jones cameo, including a kickass cover of "Girl"; Greg's repeated attempts to become a rock star with the pussiest song ever conceived; and Peter's impossibly cute crush on a bully's girlfriend (played by Marissa Ribisi, sister to Giovanni and future wife of Beck).

It's a dorky movie, it's not a movie to make a big deal out of, but when you're sitting around at home and it comes on TBS, you get your money's worth. That's all I'm sayin'.

RATING: 4

PROS: Funny... that's pretty much it, but isn't that enough?
CONS: Well, it IS the Brady Bunch Movie.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112572/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU