Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

HClChicken posted:

I'm looking to get a better fitting leather suit, I like the corkscrew (motogp) http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/moto_gp/corkscrew_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html one on newenough. How is it's quality?

I still need some pants, and I already have a textile jacket for warm, firstgear, kilimanjaro, I just need a full riding suit.

What would you recommend for a smaller person for pants, I'd like them to match the blue jacket.

I got this jacket and its great. Good quality (especially for the cost) any fits great. One problem is I can't find MotoGP pants anywhere in my size which means I'm going to have to get a zipper changed out to get stuff that connects. Might want to check that first before you buy stuff.

rope kid posted:

Fun fact that I just learned: Triumph brand pants and jackets all come with upper and lower halves of zippers. Why does this matter? Because you can take off the other piece and have it sewn into gear to make it match. :)

So far all the gear I've bought has come like this.

Though I just realized its all been Joe Rocket/MotoGP stuff so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

pr0zac posted:

So far all the gear I've bought has come like this.

Though I just realized its all been Joe Rocket/MotoGP stuff so who knows.

My Joe Rocket jackets have mating zippers, my Tour Master pants don't.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

rope kid posted:

Fun fact that I just learned: Triumph brand pants and jackets all come with upper and lower halves of zippers. Why does this matter? Because you can take off the other piece and have it sewn into gear to make it match. :)
You can add Joe Rocket and FirstGear to the list of companies who do this.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

You can add Joe Rocket and FirstGear to the list of companies who do this.

And Alpinestars and Fieldsheer and TourMaster/Cortech and Dainese and Spidi and and and and and - pretty much any company that puts a connecting zipper into a piece of their protective outerwear will include the connecting half so it can be sewn into non-matching gear.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
Ok, I got some new gear today from New Enough.

- $199 Tourmaster Decker leather overpants: My Alter Ego textile pants gave me too many problems, and one of the side zippers broke for the second time, so I decided to retire them.

This is my first pair of leather pants. They probably weigh about 5-6 pounds. They are thick. They have excellent-quality and heavy YKK zippers that feel nice and solid. I disregarded the advice on New Enough and got a pair in the same size as the jeans I wear so they wouldn't be too loose. I probably should've taken their advice, but I think they will work out better this way because I've been losing some weight recently and they are already stretching a little and breaking in nicely.

I have a lot more confidence in the protection these offer too.

- ~$45 MotoGP RPM gloves: I needed some summer gloves to wear during warm weather, instead of my Winter Elite gloves. These gloves have incredible feel, even compared to my old lovely Joe Rocket summer gloves. They are also very comfortable in warm temps. We'll see how they hold up over time, but they are leather, so they should last.

- $50 Tourmaster two piece nylon rainsuit: I really needed one of these, but I haven't gotten to test it yet.

freeride88
Mar 7, 2003

by elpintogrande
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2436319

Gear for sale, yo!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Portable591 posted:

... We'll see how they hold up over time, but they are leather, so they should last.

Just because they're leather doesn't mean they'll hold together - stitching, etc. make a big difference. Not saying they're going to fall apart the second you look at them funny, but materials don't mean poo poo without high quality construction.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Portable591 posted:

$199 Tourmaster Decker leather overpants

So you're not having a problem with the hip pads bunching up on you when you put them on? I must being doing something wrong, 'cause they always bunch up and it takes me way too long to put them on.

Otherwise, I like the construction. They are starting to break in and get flexible. they block the wind nice and stay warm. I'll probably get a different pair once it hits 90 degrees, though.

Portable591
Oct 3, 2002

Kagari Mafia Ringleader and ray tracing EXPERT
Honestly, I haven't worn them much yet. I noticed that the hip pads make the fit pretty snug on me, but I haven't encountered any bunching up.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

23reasons posted:

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.
http://www.caberg-helm.com/home.aspx?xL=e
Caberg are cheap helmets and they do a few models with built in sun visors. Mines a godsend on sunny days (obviously) and winter mornings and evenings when there's low sun right in your eyes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jazzzzz posted:

And Alpinestars and Fieldsheer and TourMaster/Cortech and Dainese and Spidi and and and and and - pretty much any company that puts a connecting zipper into a piece of their protective outerwear will include the connecting half so it can be sewn into non-matching gear.
I guess that's what I get for buying "off" brands. :(

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

echomadman posted:

http://www.caberg-helm.com/home.aspx?xL=e
Caberg are cheap helmets and they do a few models with built in sun visors. Mines a godsend on sunny days (obviously) and winter mornings and evenings when there's low sun right in your eyes.

I think I might have to pick one of these up. I'm digging that flip-down sun visor.

What sort of helmets do they fit like?

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_FTL260BZ38_G&tier2=47

Is that suit a good buy? I'm shopping around for jacket/pants and I came upon that suit. I'm going to see if they have it in-store so I can try it on there as well. Any opinions on it?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Motorcycle Closeouts has the Shift supermoto one piece for $299. If you require sliders, there is a link whithin the above link for velcro patches.

*ETA* Here is the 2 piece version direct from Shift for the same $299 price.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

That 1-piece on their site is 199.99.

http://shop.shiftracing.com/ecomm/P...e=70038002F.jpg

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

dangerz posted:

Holy poo poo, the only size they have is XS. I just bought saddlebags and a new jacket, but I might have to buy this one peice.

AdeptaCheese
Oct 14, 2003

Sovereign Swiss

dangerz posted:

do they ship to australia blaraahghadhgajdfga no they dont gently caress. goddamnit.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

I just picked up the 1-piece. I'm a pretty small dude (5'6"), so hopefully this'll fit.

Now I just need to pick up a new jacket for when I'm riding to work and back and I'll be set.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well I've just destroyed my credit card buying this:

I'm always prepared to pay extra for good gear and this time around wasn't going to be an exception. Now all I need is a pair of pants that will zip up to it and i'll have a top-notch set of leathers.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just bought an EXO-700 from NewEnough, can't wait to have a full-face helmet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I am getting prepared for my first track day :dance: and I need some leather pants. Money is also an issue, so I am trying to go on the cheap, while still getting something that wont turn me into beef jerky if I go down.

Here is what I have found so far:

FieldSheer Tracker Leather Pants $199.96

Teknic Chicane Leather Pants $179.96

MotoGP Apex Leather Pants $199.88

Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 Perforated Leather Sport Pants $238.49

Just FYI, I have a Joe Rocket coat, but I am certainly not married to the brand. Are there any of these that you would or would not buy for any reason, or should I just go with the best deal?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I really like those pants, I definitely need perforated, and will be picking them up soon.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Phat_Albert posted:

Just FYI, I have a Joe Rocket coat, but I am certainly not married to the brand. Are there any of these that you would or would not buy for any reason, or should I just go with the best deal?

Don't own any of them but the Tourmaster Apex II pants I have have the same stretch pannel in the crotch that the MotoGP pants have. I find that makes them very comfortable compared to my Fieldsheer leathers that don't have the stretch panel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I am going with the MotoGP pants since they come with knee pucks, and they have super patented crotch-flex technology.

Anyone have a reason that I shouldnt buy these pants?

EDIT: The technics apparently have crotch-flex as well, and they are goatskin? Is that better?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2007

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...

Phat_Albert posted:

Teknic Chicane Leather Pants $179.96
I have these pants and love them. I've worn them on both the track and on short trips, as well as on a 10-hour 650-mile trip, and they were comfortable the whole time. Hot in the summer sun (obviously) but did a fantastic job of handling the rain I was stuck in on the way back from Chicago last fall. All but 30 minutes (on the road) of that trip was spent riding in the rain. Break-in wasn't too bad - took only a few rides before they started to stretch and fit well. Crotch has breathable mesh over it too to keep you from getting too uncomfortable down there. I give them a thumb's-up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ravyn posted:

I have these pants and love them. I've worn them on both the track and on short trips, as well as on a 10-hour 650-mile trip, and they were comfortable the whole time. Hot in the summer sun (obviously) but did a fantastic job of handling the rain I was stuck in on the way back from Chicago last fall. All but 30 minutes (on the road) of that trip was spent riding in the rain. Break-in wasn't too bad - took only a few rides before they started to stretch and fit well. Crotch has breathable mesh over it too to keep you from getting too uncomfortable down there. I give them a thumb's-up.

I am liking the Teknics the more I read about them, and they are the cheapest to boot. Did yours come with knee pucks, or will I have to buy some?

Also, how do they fit? Tight, loose, or same as comparatively-sized jeans?? Is there any stretch or adjustability in the waist? I find I am usually smack dab inbetween sizes, so adjustability is a plus. If I could buy a size up and adjust it down, that would be great.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2007

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

I am liking the Teknics the more I read about them, and they are the cheapest to boot. Did yours come with knee pucks, or will I have to buy some?

Also, how do they fit? Tight, loose, or same as comparatively-sized jeans?? Is there any stretch or adjustability in the waist? I find I am usually smack dab inbetween sizes, so adjustability is a plus. If I could buy a size up and adjust it down, that would be great.
I'm a big fan of Teknic and I'm honestly sad that NewEnough stopped carrying it. The pants come with pucks, and the pucks are in the perfect position, and work well (as well as pucks should, I guess).

As for fit: They're very comfortable now. I'm a 34x34, so I bought the 34 pair. The waist fit great right from the start. It has a zipper as well as a velcro pull-through belt, so it can adjust out or in a little ways if needed. The tightest part of the pants was the knees, but really only during break in. Now the accordian-like stretch zone in the knee area has softened and they fit great. The legs zip down tight to your leg, but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. Just right to fit inside of a boot. The loosest part on the pants are probably the rear end, at least in my case. Maybe I just have a flat butt. Sorry ladies :( Actually, the more I think about it, they're only loose there when walking around - when in crouched riding mode they hug the rump perfectly.

As a recap: Teknic makes some great gear, and it fits well, and is priced quite agressively.

honclfibr
Oct 19, 2004
I am the frito bandito
Regarding teknic...all of the large manufacturers have a number of suits that satisfy various price points, but I would recommend staying far away from the teknic chicane suit, unless they've changed it significantly (mine was a 2004 model iirc). I was involved in a minor lowside at VIR (~35mph) where I sustained no injuries, however my chicane suit did not fair so well.

The problem is that the chicane (as well as many low end suits) was comprised of a large number of leather "panels" sewed together. These panels were sewed together with poor quality thread (good suits used kevlar thread, the chicane threading was definitely not kevlar) and the threading simply exploded on impact, leaving me with leather panels that were barely rashed but completely worthless unless I wanted to have the thing restitched. Given the speed of my lowside, I decided I would not trust this suit in a crash again, and replaced it on the spot.

Actually, this is an important thing to look for in a suit. Especially on the low end where the stitching does not tend to be good (a high quality suit will be double or triple stitched with kevlar threading in all impact areas) the key is to minimize the number of leather panels that the suit is comprised of. For low $$$ suits this means avoiding flashy multicolor suits as very often each color will be a different panel as was the case with the chicane.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
I've also got the teknic chicane pants and they work quite well. I've done 6 trackdays in them and numerous other sprited rides and they're great.

I'm not a fan of the knee pucks (they're thin), so I got some upgraded ceramic ones.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

honclfibr posted:

:words:
Good advice from someone who's had experience. I didn't know this. I guess that makes me a little more concerned about my jacket. Thanks for the head's-up.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I've crashed 2x in a Teknic chicane suit and it held up just fine - or maybe it was 3? There is a reason I don't do track days anymore, I love to crash.

I did end up totally cooking through the arm in one spot in a pretty highspeed lowside and getting a bit rashed. Oh well, it took a week to heal and it wasn't a big deal.

I totally agree that the Teknic suits are going to take less numbers of crashs, but they will protect you well. You might have a bigger repair bill if you do blow a seam, but that stuff isn't too expensive to have fixed. Usually a leather shop can repair suits for very modest pricing.

orinth posted:

I've also got the teknic chicane pants and they work quite well. I've done 6 trackdays in them and numerous other sprited rides and they're great.

I'm not a fan of the knee pucks (they're thin), so I got some upgraded ceramic ones.

How can you not like a puck you barely used? I think I had JR pucks and they worked as advertised, I got a knee down and they slid - good times. They look a LOT like the puck on the left, wouldn't be surprised if they are just the same thing.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

My pants came with the thicker ones, and I've chewed through half of them.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

n8r posted:

I've crashed 2x in a Teknic chicane suit and it held up just fine - or maybe it was 3? There is a reason I don't do track days anymore, I love to crash.

I did end up totally cooking through the arm in one spot in a pretty highspeed lowside and getting a bit rashed. Oh well, it took a week to heal and it wasn't a big deal.

I totally agree that the Teknic suits are going to take less numbers of crashs, but they will protect you well. You might have a bigger repair bill if you do blow a seam, but that stuff isn't too expensive to have fixed. Usually a leather shop can repair suits for very modest pricing.

How can you not like a puck you barely used? I think I had JR pucks and they worked as advertised, I got a knee down and they slid - good times. They look a LOT like the puck on the left, wouldn't be surprised if they are just the same thing.

I think his point was he wanted something that gives him another inch or 2 of feel with his knee.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone had experience with this Joe Rocket jacket? It's the best looking mesh/leather one I can find and has some cool things like a shield pocket and hole for headphones. Most of the other jackets I like (got to be perforated) don't fit me. (36" chest / 30" waist / 72" tall)

Reactor 2.0

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Anyone had experience with this Joe Rocket jacket? It's the best looking mesh/leather one I can find and has some cool things like a shield pocket and hole for headphones. Most of the other jackets I like (got to be perforated) don't fit me. (36" chest / 30" waist / 72" tall)

Reactor 2.0

I have the Pheonix 4.0 jacket. It doesn't have any leather, but it seems to have similar features. My biggest complaint is the forearm adjustment snaps coming undone really easily. The Reactor's Velcro adjustments seem to take care of that.

Speaking of mine only, I find it pretty comfortable and cool no matter how hot it gets. I didn't like it if the temps dropped much below 70 degrees. The waterproof liner works pretty well, though I've had water seep in under my collar. It also cuts out the wind as the temperature drops.

I just don't wear it much because I like my leather jacket better. We'll see if this gets any use this year as the temperatures got up.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

I have the Pheonix 4.0 jacket. It doesn't have any leather, but it seems to have similar features. My biggest complaint is the forearm adjustment snaps coming undone really easily. The Reactor's Velcro adjustments seem to take care of that.

Speaking of mine only, I find it pretty comfortable and cool no matter how hot it gets. I didn't like it if the temps dropped much below 70 degrees. The waterproof liner works pretty well, though I've had water seep in under my collar. It also cuts out the wind as the temperature drops.

Thanks for the input, that helps. My FirstGear mesh jacket's liner is more of a pain because it doesn't cover the zipper and a bunch of air gets in there and negates any blockage the rest of it has. The JoeRocket jackets seem a bit more well-designed.

I really want a full-leather jacket, but haven't found one that fits correctly and is perforated. It's entirely too hot in Houston for eight months out of the year. Besides, I can accept spending less than $200 on a jacket that fits 'pretty well', but when it comes to almost $400 for a leather setup that I'm going to have for many years, it's going to need to fit perfectly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

Oh well, as long as they protect me well once, at $178, I'll just get another pair down the road.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

Thanks for the input, that helps. My FirstGear mesh jacket's liner is more of a pain because it doesn't cover the zipper and a bunch of air gets in there and negates any blockage the rest of it has. The JoeRocket jackets seem a bit more well-designed.

The liner in this jacket (as you can see in the picture) has full sleeves and its own zipper. The ends of the sleeves have buttons. It's a pretty waterproof/airproof design.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm in the market for new pants and warm-weather gloves now. I'm a bit torn as to what I should be looking at for pants. I previously used a set of Tourmaster pants, and while they were extremely comfortable and very well padded, they formed a hole in the top of the thighs when I went down at about 35mph. I wouldn't be too upset had I gone down at a higher speed but I expected them to hold up better at 35. I never got a chance to try them in really warm weather, the warmest they saw was in the high 60s. They performed extremely well in the cold/wet (one ride took me into the mid 30s in driving rain and my legs never once felt cold or wet).

Since I'm buying new pants anyways, I figure its time to switch to leathers. Does anyone have any reccomendation for some decnent year-round leathers? Pants that have good ventilation but wil still keep me warm when the temperatures drop are what I'm looking for. I'm partial to A* gear right now as my jacket took the crash like a champ. Joe Rocket and I aren't really on speaking terms, unless you can convince me otherwise.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I have absolute monster thighs. I'm a 34-36 inseam, but typically have to wear size 38 pants just so the thighs fit.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You're not going to be able to comfortably wear one set of leather pants in all weather. For warm weather you're going to need a set of perforated and normal leathers for colder weather.

35mph is not a slow crash, and frankly even leather is going to take some damage at that speed. Mesh/textile is sort of a one crash affair. If the hole isn't too bad, you could probably have a textile patch sewed in for not too much money, but you'd want to be careful how the seams were sewn in.

EDIT: for warm weather riding you should be able to find perforated leather gloves.