Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Blaise posted:

Uhm, just have the given zipper attachment that comes with whatever pants you buy sown into the jacket. I've been meaning to do that myself actually.

Yeah, I did that already, I even asked you how you were planning on connecting your set earlier in this thread. Just would have preferred to not spend the $20 on kevlar thread. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

pr0zac posted:

:confused: I was simply responding to you responding to me? I suppose I want a new 600rr, but thats probably not what you meant?

Nono, I just see that apparently you went ahead and bought some pants, but would rather have others, I'm just confused and wanted clarification before offering some advice is all.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Mapless posted:

You know that MotoGP and Berik are one and the same, right?

Do you know anything about this Berik company? I see that they put their name on one of the MotoGP suits but I don't think I've seen any stores in the US carry their other stuff nor have I heard anyone ever talk about them

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

iroc_dis posted:

Do you know anything about this Berik company?
Sorry, not much to be honest.

It's my understanding that all former MotoGP branded items are now Berik items, which I learned while buying some of their knee pucks.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Oops. How did this get on me

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've never been a huge fan of mesh jackets and when I had the Speed Triple, my perforated Dainese jacket was quite good at keeping me cool. Now that I have the Sprint ST I'm not getting much air to my chest. I went over to Moto Liberty and picked up a Fieldsheer High Temp mesh jacket. It's a really nice jacket for the price ($168). I also tried on the Olympia Air Glide jacket but it had way too much room in the chest area and it was $50 more expensive.

I wear a 52 euro in the Dainese jacket and the medium Fieldsheer fits perfectly. It's a bit snug with the insulated liner but I bought this jacket only to serve as summer commuting gear. It has CE approved armor in the elbows and shoulders and it has a pretty decent back protector which most brands don't include.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

iroc_dis posted:

Oops. How did this get on me

That's a fantastic suit... 'roo leather? :D

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Blaise posted:

That's a fantastic suit... 'roo leather? :D

Thanks, and I wish it was kangaroo but unfortunately the Kangaroo Titanium is like $1300. I like it a lot though, fits a thousand times better than my Alpinestars 2pc did.

edit// Suit looks funny with my old sport-touring Alpinestars GPS3 boots. Thats the next upgrade. I'm thinking Oxtars

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 24, 2007

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

question about cleaning leathers: How would one go about cleaning grass stains and dirt off a leather jacket? I was thinking getting a stiff bristle or horsehair shoe-brush kind of thing and scrubbing. Are there any cleaning products to use? Water, no water? I have some leather cleaner for a non-riding leather jacket but it is a cream and I think it would make a huge mess with on a fairly well soiled jacket.
What are your experiences and advice?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Dainese/Ducati er... Ductai leather auction

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005

Hahaha, that is beautiful.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Finally decided to upgrade my Gaerne boots (with chunks missing on the toes from dragging them on the pavement due to boredom while slabbing).

All ordered up and awaiting my new:

Sidi Vertigos...

Oh god i can't wait.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 28, 2007

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
Picked up a Dainese Zen jacket in silver recently:

--haven't been able to go riding with it yet due to a broken gear shift lever.

Of course now I need something to zip it to.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I'm looking for a tail bag for my 06 GSXR 750 for the trip to Laguna Seca this year. I've been heavily eying these:

Nelson-Rigg CL150

Anyone know anything about them? Have any other suggestions? This is going to be a two week trip, and, though I'm packing very light, I'd like to keep as much stuff out of my tank bag and in the tail bag as possible. this one seems to have a lot of room.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ If I were to buy a tail bag it would be the Bags-Connection Cargobag.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Braincloud posted:

I'm looking for a tail bag for my 06 GSXR 750 for the trip to Laguna Seca this year. I've been heavily eying these:

Nelson-Rigg CL150

Anyone know anything about them? Have any other suggestions? This is going to be a two week trip, and, though I'm packing very light, I'd like to keep as much stuff out of my tank bag and in the tail bag as possible. this one seems to have a lot of room.

I have the smaller version of that. Works somewhat well, although I think it was designed assuming you would still have some sort of massive plastic undertail to attach the bag to. I ended up just having to use some extra bungee cords to get it down tight

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

ChiliMac posted:

Picked up a Dainese Zen jacket in silver recently
I have the same jacket, only in all black. I went to the local Cycle Gear and tried on nearly everything in my size and this was the only jacket that fit perfect. I haven't been down in it - thankfully - so I can't comment on how well it holds up in a crash.

Did yours come with the inner liner?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Braincloud posted:

Finally decided to upgrade my Gaerne boots (with chunks missing on the toes from dragging them on the pavement due to boredom while slabbing).

All ordered up and awaiting my new:

Sidi Vertigos...

Oh god i can't wait.

I have these. Very nice boots, and pretty comfy. They take a little getting used to but other than that. *shrug The little side vents work just so so, my feet tend to get pretty sweaty in them

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

greg_graffin posted:

Did yours come with the inner liner?

Do you mean the quilted bit? Yes, but I sized it without so I'm not sure if I can even get the jacket on with it in there.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I'm looking to start commuting with a 17"(!) laptop to work on my bike. I'd like something with an interior closure, like this. That one looks like it just might fit the bill, and the price ain't too shabby either, but I'd like to know what my options are if anyone else knows of some other interior zippered bags.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

swanage posted:

I'm looking to start commuting with a 17"(!) laptop to work on my bike. I'd like something with an interior closure, like this. That one looks like it just might fit the bill, and the price ain't too shabby either, but I'd like to know what my options are if anyone else knows of some other interior zippered bags.

I don't have that particular model of backpack, but I do own another MobileEdge backpack designed to fit 17" laptops and have only good things to say about it. I've gotten caught in the rain with it a couple of times and it kept water out of the main compartment, there are no frayed seams or stitching anywhere on it after almost a year of daily use, and there is a shitload of room in the pack. It's hands down better than any Eastpack/Jansport/etc. pack that I've ever owned, and for me it's more convenient than the Timbuktu messenger bag I used to ride with.

A++ would buy again.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 2, 2007

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I found this Ogio bag that looks like what I'm looking for but it's a tad pricey.

I can squeeze the laptop into an old backpack I've got with a waist strap so I'll have to see how that holds up at highway speeds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
So my Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0 jacket broke right before my three hour ride today. The snap the tightens the elbow armor onto my arm ripped off. I never liked the snaps on this jacket, always being concerned that they would unsnap in a fall, letting the armor move out the way, but I never thought the snap itself would rip. I've owned the jacket about 9 months, but 3-4 of those months were in the winter when I didn't ride, so the jacket only has 6 or so months of fairly light use. Here are some pics of the snap.

The unbroken one (for now...it also has a crack appearing):

The broken side:

A terrible picture of the cheap-rear end rubber snap:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this. Right now, the left elbow armor is loose on my arm. I really don't want to buy a new jacket. If I were to buy a new one, I wouldn't want another Joe Rocket (at least with the same snap design), but I just bought some Joe Rocket pants and I would like to have something the zips into them without alteration. I don't know how I could go about fixing the drat snap.

I'm going to write Joe Rocket an e-mail with the pictures I'll see if they'll fix it, maybe for a fee (better than buying a new jacket). Either way, I'd like them to know about this and maybe redesign the snap on future jackets. Ideally, I'd like them to replace the snaps with buckles.

As for now, I would have to tell anyone looking to buy a Joe Rocket jacket with a similar snap to stay away.

EDIT:
Just checked the website. The jacket has a one year warranty. I'll give them a call on Friday.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 4, 2007

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
Can someone recommend me some "regular" looking motorcycle gear? I'm looking all around the sites listed above, and all I see are either tacky looking clown suits, or something an old man would wear. I don't ride a crotch rocket, nor am I 55 years old.

Is this asking too much? I mean, I care about being safe, but why not get something you'll look good in?

I just want to be able to get on my motorcycle, ride somewhere, be able to get off and go walking around, go to a restaurant, and not look like I just stepped off a space shuttle. Is there a company out there that specializes in gear for this purpose?

Keep in mind, I'm not at all interested in going to track days, taking corners at 500 mph, popping wheelies, or anything like that. I ride a 500cc Honda cruiser from 1982.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nbv4 posted:

Can someone recommend me some "regular" looking motorcycle gear? I'm looking all around the sites listed above, and all I see are either tacky looking clown suits, or something an old man would wear. I don't ride a crotch rocket, nor am I 55 years old.

Is this asking too much? I mean, I care about being safe, but why not get something you'll look good in?

I just want to be able to get on my motorcycle, ride somewhere, be able to get off and go walking around, go to a restaurant, and not look like I just stepped off a space shuttle. Is there a company out there that specializes in gear for this purpose?

Keep in mind, I'm not at all interested in going to track days, taking corners at 500 mph, popping wheelies, or anything like that. I ride a 500cc Honda cruiser from 1982.

Dainese. Italians know stylish and I can personally vouch for the quality and safety. Mine held up incredibly well when I went in a ditch recently. There stuff is a bit pricey but I think it is worth it. They do one-piece moon suits like everyone else but their street apparel is quite nice and not all flashy yellow lightning and poo poo.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

nbv4 posted:

For non-spaceman riding pants, I'm looking into the Olympia Recon Transformer pants. They look just like khaki cargo pants, but they've got the usual Cordura reinforcements and whatnot. They make matching jackets too, but I'm more into leather for jackets, like my Cortech Coaster jacket, which is totally non-Power-Ranger.

Or there's the usual selection of Kevlar-reinforced jeans, like Draggin' Jeans or the Teknic Rage jeans or a bunch of other brands that make that kind of stuff.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nbv4 posted:

there are more bland items out there you can get, just not a huge number of them. thumb through an online store like http://www.newenough.com/ and you'll see some. keep in mind though that if it really is good safety gear it's gonna have armor in it at the knees and elbows and stuff, so whatever it might look like, it's not going to FEEL like a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt while walking into that restaurant.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So I've been puzzling and puzzing about how to clean the grass and dirt stains out of my leather jacket. I tried a horsehair brush, and while it knocked off some of the heavier stuff, it barely touched the more rubbed in dirt. On a whim I picked up a microfiber cleaning cloth from the household cleaning aisle in Crappy Tire (Hero brand, if anyone wants to know). That poo poo is nothing short of miraculous! First I just started wiping the jacket with the dry cloth and it lifted pretty much all the surface dirt and almost all the stuff that was worked into the creases and pores. The worst part was the left forearm that had some seriously ground in dirt. I just ran the cloth under the tap and wrang it out to make it damp and went over the jacket again. It is pretty much new condition now, except for a few scuffs! All the ground in dirt came out with the damp cloth. I highly recommend a microfibre cloth for cleaning your leathers. They're cheap and boy howdy do they ever work well!
Next step is some mink oil and that should be that.
Unfortunately I didn't take before or after pictures because I didn't really expect it to clean up so easily and quickly.

edit: I tried it on my textile pants too, because what the heck.
I apologize for the incredibly lovely cellphone pics, my digital camera is broken right now. This was just with the damp cloth, no detergent. The after pics are dry, not wet.
before:

after:

It is hard to tell, but those stains are ground in dirt and grass.

edit part le deux: Before I go getting all crazy with the mink oil, is there any reason not to use Kiwi brand mink oil? That's what I've got but I've read it contains silicone. It worked fine on my workboots, but should I get a "purer" mink oil for my jacket or is Kiwi fine?

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 8, 2007

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

there are more bland items out there you can get, just not a huge number of them. thumb through an online store like http://www.newenough.com/ and you'll see some. keep in mind though that if it really is good safety gear it's gonna have armor in it at the knees and elbows and stuff, so whatever it might look like, it's not going to FEEL like a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt while walking into that restaurant.

What do people typically wear when just riding around town? I'm planning a trip in a few weeks where I ride down to L.A. (3 hours), then just ride around the town, stopping at various places along the way.

I'm thinking of maybe getting some kind of jumpsuit that I can wear while on the bike, then when it's time to get off, I'll just takeoff the jumpsuit and wear my regular clothes underneath...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

nbv4 posted:

What do people typically wear when just riding around town? I'm planning a trip in a few weeks where I ride down to L.A. (3 hours), then just ride around the town, stopping at various places along the way.

I'm thinking of maybe getting some kind of jumpsuit that I can wear while on the bike, then when it's time to get off, I'll just takeoff the jumpsuit and wear my regular clothes underneath...

You should look into some sort of overpants, probably textile or mesh if you're in Cali. They should fit right over your regular pants. Then just grab a jacket that will zipper into them. Remember that you will most likely need to get a size larger to fit over jeans. If in doubt, e-mail New Enough about their sizing. If in more doubt, they have been known to mail you two pairs of whatever so you can try both on and send one back.

swanage posted:

For some reason, I really want that Mobile Edge backpack. I don't carry a laptop, nor do I carry a backpack in any crowded areas, but I still want one.

Anyway, if you can stand the camo, Amazon has it for $46. The black is out of stock.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 9, 2007

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

nbv4 posted:

For oversuit purposes, I love my Fieldsheer Highland suit. It's got all the usual armor, can be put on or taken off in under 10 seconds with some practice, and it's waterproof as gently caress, as I was delighted to find out while traveling through the Godforsaken Yukon a few weeks ago.

Also, it's only $260. For what it does, that's wicked cheap, even though it makes me look like a fat fighter pilot. Probably should have gotten one size smaller.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ClockworkZero posted:

edit part le deux: Before I go getting all crazy with the mink oil, is there any reason not to use Kiwi brand mink oil? That's what I've got but I've read it contains silicone. It worked fine on my workboots, but should I get a "purer" mink oil for my jacket or is Kiwi fine?

I don't know about Kiwi brand stuff, but Red Wing brand mink oil worked perfect on my leather jacket. I didn't have any discoloration occur and the leather felt great afterwards. Just be sure to test it beforehand.

threadshit:
The production of micro-fiber is very nasty. The plant I work at used to make micro-fiber until the EPA banned the chemical used to un-sheath it. Polyester is already nasty enough without the added process needed to remove the protective polymer coating surrounding the micro-fiber filaments. Also, all that polyester blended into clothing is primarily composed of ethylene glycol. You're wearing anti-freeze! :aaaaa:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Terminus Est posted:

I don't know about Kiwi brand stuff, but Red Wing brand mink oil worked perfect on my leather jacket. I didn't have any discoloration occur and the leather felt great afterwards. Just be sure to test it beforehand.

threadshit:
The production of micro-fiber is very nasty. The plant I work at used to make micro-fiber until the EPA banned the chemical used to un-sheath it. Polyester is already nasty enough without the added process needed to remove the protective polymer coating surrounding the micro-fiber filaments. Also, all that polyester blended into clothing is primarily composed of ethylene glycol. You're wearing anti-freeze! :aaaaa:

Better than drinking it! They also hose down airplanes with it for de-icing. It makes everything sticky.
I did not know that about micro-fiber! Well it cleans leather really well. On second examination it didn't do nearly as good a job on the grass stains on the textile pants as initially thought though.
As long as Red Wing brand mink-oil contains silicone, Kiwi should be fine. I'll see if I can find out. I'll definately test in an inconspicuous place first.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Red Wing brand contains Lanolin and Silicone. You should be ace as far as the Kiwi goes.

Don't take my threadshit as ranting though; I own a micro-fiber couch and love-seat. It sure is a comfy fabric. Just really bad for my conscience and the environment, Southern China's environment! :downsrim:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Uthor posted:

Anyway, if you can stand the camo, Amazon has it for $46. The black is out of stock.

thanks, just ordered one. $60 total with tax and shipping

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
What do you guys think of armor, such as this?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Bionic_Protector_Jacket--35-ALP05-1.html

Or this?

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 12, 2007

Swingline Savvy
Aug 10, 2005
Leather for sale!

Both are Dainese 1pc suits and both are size 42US.

This is the 'Laguna Seca', worn a couple of times.

It has a small are where the outer part of the seam has come unstitched. Not a big deal, there's two there.

Does not come with cat.

Dainese Flanker.

It's got a little ripped area next to the crotch.

I've only worn each a few times, they need to go to fund my fork (and Gap trip) fund however. More pics available on request.

Seriously, cat not included.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The local store to forgot/didnt charge me for the pants I was buying, so I got these Firstgear Air 2.0 Overpants Entirely for free. Normal retail $190-$200. :v:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 13, 2007

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Mapless posted:

Leather for sale!

Both are Dainese 1pc suits and both are size 42US.

This is the 'Laguna Seca', worn a couple of times.

It has a small are where the outer part of the seam has come unstitched. Not a big deal, there's two there.

Does not come with cat.

Dainese Flanker.

It's got a little ripped area next to the crotch.

I've only worn each a few times, they need to go to fund my fork (and Gap trip) fund however. More pics available on request.

Seriously, cat not included.

Just out of random curiousity, how much are you looking for for the flanker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.

Fart Car '97 posted:

The local store to charge me for the pants I was buying, so I got these Firstgear Air 2.0 Overpants Entirely for free. Normal retail $190-$200. :v:

You left something out here...did they forget to charge you? If so, come on. That's not cool. Someone's gonna pay for 'em, you can count on that.