Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Most guides I've seen recommend post heating the vinyl to 90'C to avoid bubbling particularly in concave or over-stretched areas. I don't really want to be taking a heat gun to a helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah it's generally recommended to not expose helmets to excessive heat if you can avoid it.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any crash/test info on Cordura Denim? I'm just curious where it falls in the spectrum of protection.

I'm looking for a summer jacket, but I am not a fan of the sport racing look of most mesh jackets. Rev'It makes an armored cordura denim jacket that costs about the same as a mesh jacket and I'm considering it; I really like their seesmart armor and Rev'It stuff usually fits me perfectly. But I can't tell if I'm buying something that looks cool but does fuckall in a slide.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

If by some miracle I did, I probably wouldn't be happy with the end result.

Oh no, if you removed those rim strips (which looked perfect) over an imperfection, you could not handle the vinyl wrapping process.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is this going to be the new thing you evangelize after Forma Lows and those putty earplugs?

I have good relevant suggestions to problems people ask about, based on extensive research and experience. I'm not sure what you want from me.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Most guides I've seen recommend post heating the vinyl to 90'C to avoid bubbling particularly in concave or over-stretched areas. I don't really want to be taking a heat gun to a helmet.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Isn't vinyl a dreadful choice for helmets because you need to heat treat it to get it to maintain its stretch properly?

LOL I don't know what this is but no. You could probably wrap a helmet without a heat gun. Even if you needed one, the helmet wouldn't experience any of that heat. Even if it did, it wouldn't compare to just wearing it on a hot sunny summer's day.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I have good relevant suggestions to problems people ask about, based on extensive research and experience. I'm not sure what you want from me.

I just like how excited you get about the stuff that works for you is all.

PS I tried Forma Lows because you wouldn't shut up about them and they don't work for me and now I feel like I'm missing out on something good like people who are allergic to weed or something.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh, well that's ok then. I am pretty entusiastic about good things. You should hear me talk about supermotos.

I'm sorry the forma lows didn't work for you. Or the awesome easy to use putty earplugs. Thank you for trying them anyway, even if it really is you missing out on awesome things.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Oh, well that's ok then. I am pretty entusiastic about good things. You should hear me talk about supermotos.

I'm sorry the forma lows didn't work for you. Or the awesome easy to use putty earplugs. Thank you for trying them anyway, even if it really is you missing out on awesome things.

Those ear plugs are good. The forma lows are bad because they are not God's one true boot - the mx boot.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I really wanted to like them. Compared them alongside the Icon Elsinores and the TCX Drifters. The Elsinores are too narrow and have no ankle roll protection at all. I don't remember precisely what I didn't like about the Formas, but I tried both the low and high to be sure. Probably something with the ankle fit. The TCX Drifters are tits, though, and I'll be buying them as soon as I can scrape together the pennies.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I didn't care for the forma lows for the same reason- they didn't give enough protection and felt like a sutrdier hiking boot than a motorcycle boot. I ended up going with icon field armor 2 instead. Wish they had a shin plate but they're stiffer than the formas, in both the ankle and sole.

Edit: drifters are awesome unless you have big legs. No one would say I'm in shape (then again round is a shape) but I do a decent amount of hiking and my calves barely fit, but I couldn't tuck in my pants and it chafed like crazy.

They do fit wide though, for bigfoot people like myself. TCX runs like a 2E, the field armor 2s are like an E width. Do with that as you will.

Edit:VVV

That's fair, honestly I'm basing​ this off a few days of trying them about a year ago so the forma lowss may be better than I remember. Apparently my memory is poo poo, my old posts tell me I had a pair of forma terras not tcx drifters.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 20, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

As Nero Danced posted:

I didn't care for the forma lows for the same reason- they didn't give enough protection and felt like a sutrdier hiking boot than a motorcycle boot.

As much as I care about your feelings about stuff, they do have good ankle protection. Not like full on mx boots, but my 690 topped down stairs and landed on my ankle, pinning it good, and it was as if it never happened.

My feet fit wide, so there are probably lots of other great options in the normal foot realm. :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The Formas definitely felt safe enough to me. The footbed was perfect as I recall, and they have basically the exact same sole as my hiking boots. They felt like they'd be great for walking in, which I want, but that ankle protection just didn't quite line up right.

I think the Drifters probably offer a little more protection than the Formas at the expense of walk-around-ability, but I'm cool with that. They are a bit slim around the calves, you're right about that. I probably couldn't tuck pants into them, but I never do anyway so I figured it would be a reasonable compromise.

In my experience, when a boot really fits perfectly, it's not terrible to walk in regardless of how stiff it is. Sure, a perfectly fitting mx boot won't let you run bleachers, but you could get around in one better than a fashionable moto boot that fits like poo poo. I get around just fine in snowboard boots all day and they don't even bend.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

I didn't care for the forma lows for the same reason- they didn't give enough protection and felt like a sutrdier hiking boot than a motorcycle boot. I ended up going with icon field armor 2 instead.

Have you worn the Field Armors much? I just picked up an unworn pair off craigslist for cheap, and they seem decent but they're so stiff I can't really get them under the shifter. I'm hoping they'll break in.

Lateral stiffness is way better than the SMX-1s I bought last year, though. Not sure those would do anything for me in a wreck.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Fats posted:

Have you worn the Field Armors much? I just picked up an unworn pair off craigslist for cheap, and they seem decent but they're so stiff I can't really get them under the shifter. I'm hoping they'll break in.

Lateral stiffness is way better than the SMX-1s I bought last year, though. Not sure those would do anything for me in a wreck.

Sometimes you just have to get used to moving your body differently to shift.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Fats posted:

You can adjust the height of the shifter.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Yeah I cranked the shifter way up. Still not 100% on MX-style boots, but I'll give em a fair try.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can adjust the height of the shifter.

I had to do this, the toe doesn't get any more flexible, or at least not appreciably. It didn't take much to do, just a few minutes with some hand tools.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-41-ds-hi-vis-helmet

AFX FX-41 crash report:

I've been holding off on this for a couple weeks, because I wanted to see longer results of my health, and simply didn't have time. Obviously, it's the least scientific report possible, because I know nothing about what is "Acceptable" in head injury with a helmet, nor the force my helmet took on impact. I kinda am curious for ya'lls more experienced input, as well as to just provide my perspective.

At the time of impact, my helmet was beyond it's last legs, and I even had a replacement sitting at home that I'd just purchased. In 2 years it's had over 30k on it, in extreme heat and cold, been dropped several times, and basically been through hell. I'm pretty sure the back of it never touched the pavement a month ago when I had a pavement spill, or any other time. Cycle gear employees unanimously have checked it out before the crash and declared it should be replaced immediately due to wear, but they are biased (if experienced). The helmet had already been through hell before impact, but I don't know how much that affected how it protected me.

Two weeks ago I was doing some off roading on sumo Sunday, and was at the front of the group on a wide, straight, hard packed clay road. Feeling pretty overconfident, I was going about 25-35mph when I came up on a line of fresh mud puddles across the path. I didn't even slow down, and couldn't evade, and just let the crash happen. So, at probably 28mph, my front wheel went into a deep mud puddle, stopped, and washed to the side. My legs hit the bars (mirrors left two nice bruises), and I was whipped straight into the ground, the top rear of my head taking all the impact.

It felt like someone had taken a good swing with a baseball bat to the back of my helmet. I knew instantly I had a concussion, but it was off road riding where offs are expected, so I put in another hour or two of hard dirt riding before I came to my senses and quit for the day. Over two weeks later, I'm still dealing with the symptoms, and will probably get my head checked soon. I never vomited, made it through the night, so I never went to the ER or anything. A good honest "probably should have gone to the ER" concussion, but not a BAD one, you know?

So, either the AFX is a great helmet that did a really good job protecting me in spite of being worn out and possibly compromised, or it's a poo poo helmet and an Arai or something would have been like hitting a pillow. I don't know, this is just what happened.

The helmet shows no signs of an impact, btw, inside or out. The foam looks undamaged, and the shell has no spider cracks or anything visible. Never buy used helmets, ever. :lol:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

IIRC, motorcycle helmets are designed more to prevent skull fractures than concussions. I don't remember where I read that particular tidbit, but I've had 2 helmeted concussions, one with a bike helmet and the other with a ski helmet. At any rate, I did a bunch of reading after my last one for future helmet shopping because I thought I'd gotten an inferior one that allowed the concussion. The thing I took away was that no truly good helmet, regardless of brand, will prevent a concussion because in order to prevent skull fracturing, the design inherently allows for concussion at some level. I've since forgotten the specifics and I think it was in reference to bike/snow helmets, but I'd imagine some of the engineering scales up.

So I would bet you'd have come away with a concussion from most helmets. Glad you're ok and you can still post and feed yourself and stuff.

edit: I think it has to do with the fact that concussions come from your brain sloshing against the inside of your skull upon rapid deceleration of your head and fractures come from a direct impact. So a helmet absorbs the impact and dissipates it before the force reaches your head, but your head still comes to a rapid stop with your brain slightly later. For a helmet to prevent a concussion, it would have to be able to slow the deceleration of your head much slower, and in order to do that, would have to contain a comically large amount of compressible cushioning inside so that we'd all be in bighead mode all the time.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 25, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't even see how a helmet could prevent a concussion. You would need like a foot of impact absorbing foam around your head.

You should have still went to the ER though, I'll be that guy. Even if you seem like you are fine it's completely possible there's real damage.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Buhbuhj posted:

Even if you seem like you are fine it's completely possible there's real damage.

Yeah, this is true as well. I know a guy who has epilepsy now from a head injury.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
go see a doc if you're still fucky.

I landed that same helmet face first with 185lb of goon behind it at about the speed of plaid with no concussion.

2 years later though my neck still gripes at times.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Concussions are a bitch and can have nasty, long-lasting effects (headaches, vertigo, whatever the medical term is for "fuzzy-headedness"). I hope you don't end up in that boat.

Helmets can't really do much to prevent concussions since there's no real way to prevent your brain from slamming around in your skull short of not bouncing your head off of something in the first place.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Jazzzzz posted:

Concussions are a bitch and can have nasty, long-lasting effects (headaches, vertigo, whatever the medical term is for "fuzzy-headedness"). I hope you don't end up in that boat.
Hey-o! I crashed at 120mph last year and had to get airlifted some 200 miles because my brain was swollen and bleeding. I've got mild tremors, sometimes see what looks like smoke in the air, and my short-term and long-term memory are really bad. Having a good neurologist and occupational therapist has done wonders and I should fully recover in a few years.

Little more severe than just a concussion, but you should probably get your head checked out. I also had a hairline T5 spinal fracture. Didn't require surgery or anything, but my doctors constantly monitor it. Never would have known about it otherwise.

Yeah, this is true as well. I know a guy who has epilepsy now from a head injury.
Good friend of mine also suffered from a head injury (in a car) and she now has seizures quite often. In her case they're commonly triggered by pain; she legit had a seizure in the doctors office while having an IUD put in. Fun poo poo.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
A bunch of dirt helmets (and presumably, soon enough, most road helmets) have rotational protection as well. Supposedly to protect more against this sort of thing. Glad you're doing OK. Fwiw, I think you probably want to deweight/loft the front end in that situation and try to throttle through.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

A bunch of dirt helmets (and presumably, soon enough, most road helmets) have rotational protection as well. Supposedly to protect more against this sort of thing. Glad you're doing OK. Fwiw, I think you probably want to deweight/loft the front end in that situation and try to throttle through.

Ya my replacement has mips(Fox V3 carbon). I'll be sure to spill the details when it gets put to use.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is there a good reason not to wear MX boots for street riding if all I care about is protection?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Dutymode posted:

Is there a good reason not to wear MX boots for street riding if all I care about is protection?

It's a pain to find pants that fit over them.

cursedshitbox posted:

Ya my replacement has mips(Fox V3 carbon). I'll be sure to spill the details when it gets put to use.

Nice. I have Fly's F2 carbon with mips but so far been lucky enough to not really use it. Here's hoping it helps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

It's a pain to find pants that fit over them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Dutymode posted:

You can't really use the foot controls on sportier bikes with them. I do wear them on my SM bike; my leather pants tuck into them, and my textiles do fit over them (barely).

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I ordered a pair of forma adventure boots. They came in today and I was super excited until I tried to put them on. Couldn't even get them over my ankle. I checked and sure enough, the boots are labeled size 47, and what I ordered and need are US 15/EU 49. So I have to return them. Too bad, they look awesome. Here's to hoping the size 49s actually fit because I can't find a decent looking pair in size 50.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

I ordered a pair of forma adventure boots. They came in today and I was super excited until I tried to put them on. Couldn't even get them over my ankle. I checked and sure enough, the boots are labeled size 47, and what I ordered and need are US 15/EU 49. So I have to return them. Too bad, they look awesome. Here's to hoping the size 49s actually fit because I can't find a decent looking pair in size 50.

You have to undo the buckles to get them on your foot. :downsrim:

IIRC, motorcycle helmets are designed more to prevent skull fractures than concussions. I don't remember where I read that particular tidbit, but I've had 2 helmeted concussions, one with a bike helmet and the other with a ski helmet. At any rate, I did a bunch of reading after my last one for future helmet shopping because I thought I'd gotten an inferior one that allowed the concussion. The thing I took away was that no truly good helmet, regardless of brand, will prevent a concussion because in order to prevent skull fracturing, the design inherently allows for concussion at some level. I've since forgotten the specifics and I think it was in reference to bike/snow helmets, but I'd imagine some of the engineering scales up.

So I would bet you'd have come away with a concussion from most helmets. Glad you're ok and you can still post and feed yourself and stuff.

edit: I think it has to do with the fact that concussions come from your brain sloshing against the inside of your skull upon rapid deceleration of your head and fractures come from a direct impact. So a helmet absorbs the impact and dissipates it before the force reaches your head, but your head still comes to a rapid stop with your brain slightly later. For a helmet to prevent a concussion, it would have to be able to slow the deceleration of your head much slower, and in order to do that, would have to contain a comically large amount of compressible cushioning inside so that we'd all be in bighead mode all the time.

This is very good information, and makes sense. I'm glad to know that my helmet isn't inherently bad.

I really appreciate the feedback and recomendations from the rest of you, too. And thanks I guess for scaring me about my head injury. I was already deciding to get it looked at, and now I definitely will.

builds character posted:

Fwiw, I think you probably want to deweight/loft the front end in that situation and try to throttle through.

Yeeeeaaah, I'm really kicking myself for basically doing nothing in that situation. Even when I chose to crash, I still knew I was being dumb.

I've turned into kind of a poo poo rider this year, and I'm not happy about it. On my 250's I was pro mode always, it seemed.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Dutymode posted:

You're not going to be able to feel the controls at all. Also you're going to have to move your shift lever way up to clear the boot

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wouldn't say you'd have to move the controls for all MX boots. the Tech 7 and Tech 5 are around the same size as my Scout WP and I can shift in those just fine. Not feeling the controls will definitely be A Thing, though. I've had boots with no real control feel, and it never bothered me. It really depends on the rider IMO.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I do not recommend any MX boot for a new rider on the street. Buy something with feel so you can modulate the rear brake.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I'm not new, I've just had CG poo poo for boots for years now. It seems like MX boots are cheaper than sport boots, and from what I can tell all the touring boots (hello Formas) aren't near that level of protection. Dirt riders have to operate the clutch and brake, too, so can it really be that different? I also much prefer upright seating positions, and there's a good chance my next bike will be a CRF250L.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I wear Spidi Crossfire 2 boots all the time, and love them. I had to adjust the shifter position on both my WR250R and my SV1000, and they arent suited well to the sport bike, so I plan on getting some race boots at some point. I got used to the feeling of them after a week or two, and now they feel totally natural and comfortable.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Hey, are either of these things garbage?

https://www.amazon.com/ONeal-Rider-Boots-Black-Size/dp/B00MGD5PVI/ref=lp_404825011_1_20?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1493393199&sr=1-20

https://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Supe...68HKYYZXE20BCJC

Also can someone recommend some decent tank grips?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

FWIW I've got the matching Cortech saddlebags and I've always been pretty happy with them.

As for grips, Stompgrips if you don't mind eventually wearing out the inner thighs on your gear, or Techspec for something that's a bit kinder, albeit less grippy.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Techspec is amazing but also amazingly expensive. I love mine, but to be completely honest, I'm sure a less expensive brand would be serviceable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

why are these strips of rubber $60? :saddowns: