Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Also, I've been looking for a good leather jacket for a while now. I want one that's neither harleyish, nor one of those carnival colored crotchrocket jackets.

ICON is making a ton of black jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gateoraade posted:

I keep hearing this and my dumbass bought ALL icon gear minus my helmet. Everything fits fine and feels like it would protect me in a fall... but I have no experience in falling as I've only been riding for 6 months. I'm starting to think that the guy at the shop totally bullshitted me into buying expensive, lovely gear.

If/when you crash, post pictures of your gear (and skin!) and let us know how it holds up.

Do you guys still wear your crashed jackets? I've got an all black 'River Road' leather jacket I got for $40 from a powersports place that closed not that long ago, I got in a 40mph crash and slid on my back/arm for a bit, it's a little scuffed but not in that bad of shape. I have new stuff though, so I don't wear it. My friends called it my Knight Rider jacket :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Lets talk dirt gear for a second

I just got my first dirt bike from another goon. Hell it's still in his carhole until I go riding with him somewhere. I rode it for about 3 minutes in a cornfield, it was pretty fun.

What should I get? Helmet? Chest protector? Gloves? What else?

It's a YZ125, 99 or so? I'm not sure.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Got some boots:

MSR MXT boots, got them from a local guy who used them once but they were too big. $75

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

n8r posted:

Since it sounds like you know nothing about dirtbikes please be aware that you now own a very high maintenance race machine. You should be cleaning/oiling the air filter every 2-3 rides (maybe every ride if we're talking sand). Change the transmission oil every 2-3 rides as well, I use the really cheap walmart brand ATF Type-F in my 125 and it worked great. Also I'd encourage you to run silkolene 2stroke oil premixed at 50:1. You can't just run the cheap poo poo that they make for lawnmowers as that oil isn't designed to handle the RPMs a dirtbike puts out.

You're right, I know jack about dirtbikes. I've been riding on the street for a couple years with 4 different bikes but it will be my first summer on the dirt.

All my buddies that ride have been telling me about changing the oil and filters regularly. They've all recommended different oils too:

Mobil 1 2 cycle synthetic
Belray Synthetic
Yamalube semi-synth 2 stroke

I was told to run 85W in the actual engine itself. That's a huge difference from ATF, which is basically what, a 0W oil?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Whats the science of ratios? Guys are telling me to run 30:1

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

:colbert:

I've been wearing a Teknic Violator and I love it. Great padding, seems solid. I don't have a red bike anymore, that's the only downside.

My Joe Rocket leather gloves got wet (I wore them dirt biking, hurr) and now the right glove is formed in the shape of my hand grabbing a ton of throttle. It's very uncomfortable. Any ideas on fixing that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone had a custom jacket/suit made from Pilot USA?

I saw their ad in the back of Sport Rider, claiming custom jackets for $350. A couple friends and I thought about getting identical jackets made up, even though it might look kind of stupid.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trintintin posted:

This may be off topic, but how in the hell do you upshift in sandals. I've ridden in tennis shoes before and shifting was loving horrible after using riding boots only.

Just ride around in 1st. Liters can hit 100 in 1st gear these days, why shift?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking for a new 'cruiser' jacket.

Arlen Ness has a couple that I like:

Any other suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

8ender posted:

I just have to say that I hate when gear makers put letters and logos all over their jackets. This jacket would look killer without the drat letters all over it.

The "Live on the edge" poo poo is kind of lame, but I don't mind most logos.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm looking for some boots, myself, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge with River Road. They seem to be more cruiser-style, but I like that a lot more than the sport styles that look like moonboots or something.

You get what you pay for. I have a RR jacket that held up good in a crash, but you can tell it's not a $300 jacket.

Get some real motorcycle boots. I was dirtbiking this past weekend and my ankles make me wish I hadn't sold my old MX boots and instead wore my steeltoes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Drew Tyler posted:

Do these modular helmets hold up well in a crash? http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/is_max_solid_and_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html
I've already purchased and used it. The chin seems very sturdy but flips up with a large button on the chin which worries me. I was looking for reviews online and found none that weren't regular consumers.

Ahhhh, the beer-drinker helmet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Went to the local shop, being winter they were full of snowmobile and ATV helmets, but there were some street helmets left.

Snagged this Scorpion. Now I just need a bike...

Not a huge fan of the graffiti style logo, but it's alright. That store had a hundred of those lovely Vega helmets.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

What do you guys think of Shift Leather Jackets? This seems like a pretty good deal to me...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+deals/weekly+specials/shift_primer+leather+jacket+-+black

I'm looking for a vintage and/or understated leather jacket. Any other suggestions?

Go for it. What size are you? I've always liked this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICON...lQ5fMerchandise

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here are my current jacket/helmets. My all white HJC helmet is MIA. That's okay because everyone called me 'spaceballs' when I wore it.

Teknic Violator jacket and KBC helmet. My favorite jacket by far. It's getting a little snug, though. It has a ton of armor in it, it's heavy, and it's warm. The helmet is old and has a pressure point on my forehead so I almost never wear it.

My new Scorpion helmet. ICON textile jacket. Bought this a few years ago, it looks cool because it's white. Parking lot posing duty, or when it's really, really hot. Virtually no protection with this thing, it's like wearing a mesh sweatshirt. It had elbow pad inserts but I can't fit my forearms in the sleeves so I took them out. I took most of the faggy patches off the thing when I got it.

If you buy a white jacket, just remember that you will have to wash it every other ride. You know all the bugs you get on your helmet? There you go. This jacket usually looks gray or camouflage when I'm wearing it.

River Road jacket. First jacket I bought, probably 8-9 years ago. It was way too big when I first got it, but now it fits okay. Not much for armor or anything inside it, and it's HOT in the summer. It's black and it doesn't breathe. Saved my rear end one time when I t-boned a car (not my fault), you can see the scuffs on the back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

M.C. McMic posted:

That's a pretty cool jacket. Maybe I'll look into it. Is Icon a good brand? I think I read a disparaging comment about it on the first page.

(I'm a Large, by the way)

If you buy their leather jackets, they're fine. If you buy their mesh jackets, they're poo poo just like almost every other textile jacket out there.

Joe Rocket has some decent stuff for low prices.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frozenphil posted:

My only other complaint with Joe Rocket is that apparently they base their arm lengths on great apes and not humans. I'm not built like a T-rex and yet their elbow and forearm armor hits me a good 2"-3" low when standing. Sure, it sits right when I'm on the bike, but when I need that armor for protection I won't be sitting on the bike.

You will go fetal when you crash and the jacket will fit correctly. They're for riding, not lounging around in.

I have the biggest pet peeve with people wearing bike jackets like a regular jacket :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That jacket looks like it it would tear/melt upon impact with the asphalt.

Just because you don't plan on 'riding highways', don't skimp. Would you jump out of your car going 45mph in town?

I also think it looks silly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

What is with the new collar-less trend in jackets?

:argh:

LOOK AT IT! JUST LOOK AT IT!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

frozenphil posted:

Why do you need a collar?

My neck gets cold.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

redscare posted:

That's ok, I prefer to be gainfully employed instead

Okay then, when I'm wearing my jacket with a dress shirt and tie underneath, you can see it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

schreibs posted:

I ride to work wearing a button down shirt and tie, khakis and dress shoes, gloves/textile jacket/helmet. Doubt they would like me showing up in my track gear.

You could always change at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NewEnough has Joe Rocket textile jackets, Honda CBR design, for $39.99

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/honda_cbr_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

They only have blue, though.