Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neck Tooth posted:

Ha, but I think my issue is that it really DOES feel like the visor/helmet's gonna break when you change them out. I just can't get used to bending a piece of (expensive) plastic like that without getting all worried. I'll go to a therapist, maybe that'll help.

My HJC CL14 feels the same way. It always feels and sounds like its breaking, but it never does, and the mechanism has never loosened up. Its just loud and scary.

Does anyone have any experience with the KBC VR-2 visor? How are they to change out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But thats still ALOT of money, for most of us anways.

Now, I know this is more race-oriented than ride-oriented, but 1-pieces can be had for less http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WP471-230

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

That's interesting... I ended up with an HJC CL-15 and the visor swap process is extremely simple and works great. Maybe when we meet up for the BMW Rally I'll have to take a look at yours just cause I'm curious about how much its different.

Oh, the process is simple on the CL-14, it just sounds like its breaking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I am getting prepared for my first track day :dance: and I need some leather pants. Money is also an issue, so I am trying to go on the cheap, while still getting something that wont turn me into beef jerky if I go down.

Here is what I have found so far:

FieldSheer Tracker Leather Pants $199.96

Teknic Chicane Leather Pants $179.96

MotoGP Apex Leather Pants $199.88

Joe Rocket Blaster 2.0 Perforated Leather Sport Pants $238.49

Just FYI, I have a Joe Rocket coat, but I am certainly not married to the brand. Are there any of these that you would or would not buy for any reason, or should I just go with the best deal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think I am going with the MotoGP pants since they come with knee pucks, and they have super patented crotch-flex technology.

Anyone have a reason that I shouldnt buy these pants?

EDIT: The technics apparently have crotch-flex as well, and they are goatskin? Is that better?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ravyn posted:

I have these pants and love them. I've worn them on both the track and on short trips, as well as on a 10-hour 650-mile trip, and they were comfortable the whole time. Hot in the summer sun (obviously) but did a fantastic job of handling the rain I was stuck in on the way back from Chicago last fall. All but 30 minutes (on the road) of that trip was spent riding in the rain. Break-in wasn't too bad - took only a few rides before they started to stretch and fit well. Crotch has breathable mesh over it too to keep you from getting too uncomfortable down there. I give them a thumb's-up.

I am liking the Teknics the more I read about them, and they are the cheapest to boot. Did yours come with knee pucks, or will I have to buy some?

Also, how do they fit? Tight, loose, or same as comparatively-sized jeans?? Is there any stretch or adjustability in the waist? I find I am usually smack dab inbetween sizes, so adjustability is a plus. If I could buy a size up and adjust it down, that would be great.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 3, 2007

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

I totally agree that the Teknic suits are going to take less numbers of crashs, but they will protect you well. You might have a bigger repair bill if you do blow a seam, but that stuff isn't too expensive to have fixed. Usually a leather shop can repair suits for very modest pricing.

Oh well, as long as they protect me well once, at $178, I'll just get another pair down the road.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone own a helmet from the KBC VR-1X line? I'm thinking of getting the Lightning Force: http://www.revzilla.com/product/kbc-vr-1x-light-force-helmet

From their sizing chart, they seem to run the exact same sizing as HJC. My current HJC is too big, and always was, so I'm assuming I can go one size down on the KBC and be OK.

Anyone have anything to say about the VR-1X (good/bad/other) or its sizing as it relates to HJC?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum: Fine Pakistani Suits

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I have some friends who have their stuff and are quite happy with it. But it hasn't been crash tested or rained on yet. They're a newish company but I may pick up one of their jackets soon as a textile daily.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Sport Rider just had a crash report in a Revit leather suit, and it came out favorably.

I may be mistaken though, so dont take my word for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Anybody have any input on the newer-model Icon Alliance?

Even after 2+ years my EXO700 is still *slightly* too tight. I guess I'm in-between Scorpion sizes, because my medium is still too tight, but a new large is slightly too loose. Bah! So I want another long-oval shape replacement.

The silver bits are reflective.I think it looks good, and I hear Icon's helmets are nice. I'll be trying to find one in person in the next few days.

Arent HJC's oval shaped? A good HJC will be a better helmet than the Icon.

Also, is that $40 bag deal still going on? I missed that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have opinions on the HJC RPHA ST vs Scorpion T1200 vs AGV K3 SV?

I'm looking for a good sport touring helmet with an integrated sun visor and these three seem to stand out in the $200-300 range. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on these or what else I should be looking at?

For reference, my past HJC's have fit like a glove, so whatever shape they are is what works for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A handful in every riding jacket, pants pocket, and tankbag is the way to go. That way you can be a good samaritan and hand out pairs when other people lose theirs or need some.

http://www.theonion.com/article/pool-owner-has-bathing-suit-that-touched-his-penis-33222

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

I got a visor with a transition tint last weekend, and today marks the third day I thought, "better hurry, looks like it's about to rain," after a bright day suddenly got darker. I might be too dumb to ride.

What helmet/visor? I'm in the market for a new helmet, and a transitions visor is high on my list of must haves.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is the Bell Qualifier DLX? It gets a 3 sharp rating presumably because of that Bluetooth comm pocket.

E: I'm basically down to that, the HJC rpha ST and the shark d-skwal

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 25, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How much noise and head-yanking does that visor introduce? I'm just thinking of riding with an MX helmet on the highway and it sounds like torture

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

-Inu- posted:

Arai's old shield mechanism from the RX-Q/Corsair V/etc is actually the fastest shield change on the market. I can do one in 3 seconds or under. The new one is actually slower and clunkier, thought I think I got my time down to around 6-8 secs.

I also work on a NASCAR pit crew

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

builds character posted:

It's a pain to find pants that fit over them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Yo room look like a dishrag

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, there isn't much that's worse than fake carbon patterns. I mean, it sucks that happened to your helmet but it might be for the best

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Carbon fiber bedpan

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Taste aside that helmet is completely loving ruined now. God bless her majesty's consumer guarantees act that would get me a brand new replacement helmet if that happened to me.

We have the Better Business Bureau here, but it's mostly a useless manifestation of a well intentioned document these days. I guess just like most of our government.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

UFC fighter tattoo jacket

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Been thinking about getting this helmet from HJC. It comes with the amber face shield. And the Poe Dameron jacket off of Amazon. And then getting a personal plate of Red Six. Is that too much?

Do not buy open face helmets they are bad and not cool and no one doesn't look like a doofus in them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Good heated liners? I know gerbing used to be the go-to, but people have been complaining about their recent stuff because they switched factories or something. I’m an icy bitch.

Piggybacking on this, how much electric stuff can an SV650 reasonably run? I’ve lost 65lbs of pure fat (lol goons) since January and I am now no longer cold-resistant.

I’ve become everything i used to mock *shivering*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you crash just flex super hard before you hit the ground. Give the road human rash.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 13, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a dude with a big weird head I never knew this was a thing and now I’m intrigued.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I think z3n has one but come to think of it I haven't seen him post here in months.

:ohdear: z3n buddy you ok?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Stop trying to look cool on motorcycles.

Can we make this the AI forum name?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bead seats are dorky as gently caress but also work really really well so get a bead seat

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make slim over-ear heading protection that will also fit under a helmet? Long shot I know but I can’t really wear ear plugs these days and I also don’t want to go without hearing protection, and the only “slim” over ear protection i can find is this stuff:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

right arm posted:

this is a joke right

It’s not

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What’s the issue with wearing earplugs?

They cause crud to get impacted in my ears because apparently my body was built to create ear wax at a superhuman rate.

I wind up having to go to the walk in clinic like once a month to get my ears cleaned after I go deaf in one or the other

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The act of cleaning them jams more in. It’s hosed up!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmm, will those stay on during helmet putting-on-ing and the like?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I actually own one of those ear canal water piks. It’s not super loud although I’m very used to it.

It is extremely satisfying when you go from deaf in one ear to “hearing as a superpower” levels of hearing for sure though

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa. Someone makes what I was talking about

https://www.webbikeworld.com/quiet-ride-helmet-review/

And they make a kit to retrofit your current helmet

http://quietridemuffs.com/order_now.html

Essentially it’s slimmed down over-ear muffs with an air bladder in the back to allow you to get your helmet on then pump up the bladder to push the muffs against your ears. Strongly considering this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I ordered them, we’ll see how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I edited the first post because I don’t think Nerobro posts here anymore, but yeah I think we need a new thread anyway.