Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Another big BMW gear fan here. I used to go for the cheaper middle of the road products, like Tour Master, Alpenstars and Fieldsheer, the gear was nice and held up ok with a few lose threads here and waterproof being a myth.

I picked up an F650 GS Dakar a couple of months ago and it came with a BMW Rallye 2 suit that was a bit too big for me. At first I thought of it as a nice extra chunk of change that'd I'd sell and use to buy some extra tires or something. After a 1200 mile ride home in freezing early February temps I'm convinced, it's the nicest gear I've ever worn. The suit was too big for me so I sold it and bought a new Rallye 2 Pro jacket and I'll likely soon buy a set of Dakar pants from Rev'it (many claim their gear is right up there in quality with BMW) or a set of BMW's Savanna II pants. The goretex liner in the pants is as nice as some of my North Face and Mountain Hardware clothing that I use for mountaineering. The logical and useful vent placement as well as the adjustable contoured armor makes the jacket feel more like a fitted suit jacket than a bunch of material that I'm stuffing between me and asphalt. I've never felt a drop of rain, and with the wind and water proof liner in I feel like I'm wearing an environment suit.

It's expensive stuff, crazy expensive as a matter of fact, I could have bought a new business suit and taken my girlfriend out for a full dinner at the nicest restaurant in town for less. I don't regret the purchase for a second.

My other gear consists of Tour Master Apex II pants which I like just fine for pavement non-rainy riding. The mesh liner inside them is starting to tear in a few spots after ~40K miles. I'll likely wear the new pants more often once I get them.

I have an Icon Motorhead leather jacket which would be great if I lived in Southern California, here in Denver I need to pair it with a heated liner in all seasons other than summer. I like the fit and the vents are ok but nothing in comparison to my Rallye 2 Pro.

My HJC AC-12 Carbon is a nice helmet if the visor didn't have a few distortions and if it was a little quieter I'd say it was perfect, but as is it's a nice looking very light helmet. I expect my next one will be an Arai to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm also leaning more towards Shark too. I wish I had a Shoei shaped head so I could use their kick rear end visors and retention system. I'm still bothered by the Arai side pucks that make changing visors a pain.

I've been really happy with my Alpinstars SP II gloves and my Tour Master Winter Elite 2s. The Winter Elites are truely water proof and have served me well down to 9F. The SP-IIs are a little thin but I like the feel of the controls with them on.

I had a set of GPS-3 boots which were great and I logged ~30K miles in them, after that they were pretty worn and I've passed them onto Xaine. I now have a set of Garene Explorers which are black and don't have any velcro, they're lacking in ankle support but are easy to hike in. I also have a set of BMW GS 1 boots, I like these but I can't wear them indoors as it sounds like I'm walking on a bed of ducks with all the squeaking and quacking that the plastic does. Their protection is second to none though.

My faviorite piece of gear still remains my heated liner, it lets me ride year round and keeps my focus on the road rather than on the temperature. It has never dissapointed me and after ~25K miles it still works as well as the day I bought it.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the gear.

For those that have the Shoei X-11 and have tried Arai helmets how does the fit compare? I love Shoei's stuff but I have a very Arai shaped head, (the Quantum feels like angel hands cupping my face.)

For those that have the Arai helmets, how often do you change visors? After a while can you do it in the dark by the roadside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm looking for a full-face helmet and really like the design of the ones with a flip-up chin...Like this Shoei one.

Do ya'll like the flip-up ones vs. a solid helmet? And would you recommend that Shoei one?

The Shoei ones are nice but if you have a Shoei shaped head I'd look more into getting a Schuberth, they have internal sun visors, and are some of the best helmets for noise isolation. The venting is pretty nice too. I'd own one but have more of a long oval head shape rather than a round or earth head. Both use metal in all their latching mechanisms though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Uthor posted:

I have a "Professional Strength" aerosol glass cleaner that I use on the windshield of my car. I have a bug-splattered face shield on my helmet. Is there any danger of messing up the face shield if I use the glass cleaner on it? I could always use Windex, but this stuff is ten times better.

I completely removed the mirror finish from a visor using standard windex and Rain-X. I'd go with something gentler if it's a tinted visor.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

I was just looking at some gear for when I get a new bike, and I saw this kid on the Schuberth website:

And I fell in love. I honestly think it's the nicest helmet I've ever seen. Some people may not like the pattern on the exterior, but I think it's sex. So I decide "right, I will own this helmet" and whipped onto froogle to see what average prices were. £750! :aaaaa:. That's coming up to what the bike itself will cost! Dreams shattered, I suppose I'll have to find something else :(.

There's the HJC AC-12 Carbon. I've got it and aside from it being a bit noisy I've been very happy with it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/carbon/

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

That's a nice helmet, and much cheaper, but it doesn't have the built in sun screen. Unfortunately, I imagine that all helmets with built in sun screens are well expensive.

The new Scorpion 1000 helmet has a built in sunscreen and that funny Rebock Pump cheek pads. I like the idea of internal sunscreens a lot, but the schuberths that I've tried on the screen ends just below my eyes causing me to have to look through the edge of the screen depending on the helmet's position on my head. It's a really cool idea, but I'd rather see one that slides down closer to the visor rather than closer to the eyes.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Phat_Albert posted:

Just FYI, I have a Joe Rocket coat, but I am certainly not married to the brand. Are there any of these that you would or would not buy for any reason, or should I just go with the best deal?

Don't own any of them but the Tourmaster Apex II pants I have have the same stretch pannel in the crotch that the MotoGP pants have. I find that makes them very comfortable compared to my Fieldsheer leathers that don't have the stretch panel.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Couple of pics of some extra weight I added to the Dakar recently:

This tried to convince me that a house in the middle of a residential neighborhood was a hardware store:

This keeps the liar around, I'll likely use the ram arm for a camera mount at some point too. I replaced the thumb screw with an allen screw for some extra security.

I painted my side tanks with smooth Durabak-18 bedliner. I'm happy with the result but the foam roller I used caused some air bubbles that show up as little bumps on the material. It's not as smooth as I wanted orginally but I'm still very happy with it. I'm sure that I'll drag it over some rocks soon and add some further surface imperfections.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Antifederalist posted:

What are people's opinion on gear like this:

My cousin works at a bike equipment store and he was singing their praises, they apparently fit really well under pants and are pretty comfortable. I know they're not as good as real riding pants, but they seem a pretty good compromise.

It's good stuff for dirt riding but on the street your more likely to take abrasion damage rather than impact damage. It's best to have on something that will prevent abrasion, if you want additional impact resistance then wear shin guards like that under something like overpants.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Terminus Est posted:

TZR

I had a TZ-1 for a while and loved it except for my non-shoei shaped head. The TZR is such an awesome deal and I really wish I could wear it for more than a couple hours without feeling like there's a 50lb weight on the crown of my skull.

Shoei still has the best visors and mechanism that I've used though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I am looking for a specific motorcycle jacket, and I can't find it anywhere, as I don't think they make it anymore. I tried to snag it on NewEnough at closeout for $45, but the Large doesn't fit right in the chest so I sold it to a buddy.

If anyone has any or any leads where I can get a Joe Rocket Meteor 4.0 in Men's XL in Gray/Red/Black, I'll pay a finder's fee

I might have one of those that I got when I bought one of my bikes, I'll check the sizing tonight, if I have it I'll gladly sell it to you for 45 shipped.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Cool I'll check it tonight and let you know.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Kruzen posted:

Anyone have some advice on the Icon Timax 2 jacket? I'm a new rider and looking for as much protection as possible, washington is pretty cold most of the time so I don't think i'll get too hot in it.

http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/icon/timax_2_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

If protection is your chief concern I'd avoid Icon's gear, their stiching is sub standard and their thread is poor quality too. If you really want a jacket that's as safe as you can get I'd wear a 661 Pressure Suit under a Vanson Jacket. Or just a Vanson with CE armor.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Kruzen posted:

Where can I find a 661 pressure suit? not seeing it on newenough

edit: drat, vanson poo poo is expensive.

Check newenoughmx.com in their protection area: http://newenoughmx.com/sixsixone_pressure_suit_a_y_page.htm

Yeah Vanson stuff is expensive but the leather their use is some of the thickest that you can buy. Other options are to go with brands like Komodo that use a bunch of kangeroo skin which has higher abrasion resistance than leather but is often thinner.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I gave an orginal recomendation that's somewhat overkill but you did ask for what's the best protection out there.

For the street you really want good abrasion resistance, the vanson with it's ultra thick leather will provide this. However there's still plenty of hard things in the world and if you fall over it's likely that you'll hit one. The Pressure suit combines CE armor with additional reinforced plastic stuff and foam underneath that. It's ment for you to crash in the dirt and bounce off trees and rocks without breaking too many bones. The chest protector and the back protector on those can be removed if you don't want it to be as bulky, but the quality of hte armor is equal to that of the expensive aftermarket armor. Most street riders get either a leather (for more abrasion resistance) or textile (for more comfort in a variety of weather conditions) jacket and just use the CE or GP armor that the jacket comes with. Adding the pressure suit under a jacket is more than likely overkill, but it would provide the best protection. You would not want to armor the vanson in addition to the pressure suit, that would restrict movement too much.

You can wear a pressure suit without a jacket over it but you're risking taking damage in a slide down asphalt as the suit isn't designed to hold together when you're sliding down the road at 80 mph, the vanson is. The Vanson isn't really designed to preven your back from breaking or your arms from becoming limp tentacles if you side off the road and into a pile of rocks, the pressure suit has a chance of preventing some of that.

If you're just looking to start out, I'd say go after an alpinestar leather jacket as their quality is good without being crazy expensive. Hein Gierke also sells some nice quality leathers. I've been happy with my Fieldsheer and Tour Master leather pants and I felt I got a good deal of them at less than 180 each, but others complain about the stiching and the placement of the armor.

If you do go the Vanson and pressure suit route I'd get the vanson 1 Euro/chest size bigger and then make use of new enough's awesome return policy. The nice thing aboug the pressure suit is that you can wear anything over it since the armor is locked into place around you and not tied to the jacket. Most motorcycle clothing is pretty form fitting to try and prevent the armor from moving around in a crash.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
It's been my experience that most leather pants are the same. I wear a set of tourmaster apex pants and love them. For colder weather I have a set of Rev'it Ultimate textile pants. I really like thigh padding even if it's not full armor. Pants that will zip to your jacket are very nice but most pants will come with the second half of the zipper so that you can sew the second half to a non-matching jacket.

An Alpinstar jacket would work fine with a pressure suit but you'll want to make sure you can remove the armor that comes with the alpinstar jacket so that the pressure suit will fit under it. First Gear makes their clothing a bit bigger so you may try them but their build quality is often compared to Joe Rockets and is lower than that of most alpinestar gear.

I really like Tour Master stuff for their price and fit, after ~40K miles mine is seeing a bit of wear where my knees rub the tank but I have no problems with them otherwise.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm just about to go up and dig through my attic again. I know it's up there somewhere. I'll drop you a PM as soon as I find it, should be today.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

quote:

I want scary helmet

I never thought I'd recommend an Icon Helmet product...http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Icon_Mainframe_Helmet_Skull_Fusion--32-ICON05-7.html

This has a wierd shaped Visor that looks a bit angry:
http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Simpson&prod=Speedway+RX

This is a neat looking black:
http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Craft&prod=New+RX+13

The Shark RSX Dual Touch Mark is both gloss and matte black..
http://www.motowebshop.com/de/shop/helme/integral_helme/shark_rsx_high-tech_line

More Icon (Caution their website induces seizures):
http://www.rideicon.com

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 24, 2007

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

DILLIGAF posted:

Not really fond of any of those, but that Icon website does have a helmet called the Solid Rubitone Domain that looks pretty cool...

So far, it is the best of the bunch...
New Enough has those and the Alliance which has fewer parts to break. (Icon helmets are somewhat known for falling apart after a year)
http://newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/icon/alliance_ss_solid_rubatone_motorcycle_helmet.html

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Anonymous Name posted:

I need a 3/4 ("open-face") helmet, not for a motorcycle, and I'm looking for something very light. Anyone have recommendations? Besides "get a full-face" I mean, and yes I've seen that impact-probability diagram.

Many dirt bike helmets get close to the 1200g mark since they don't have visors. Typically I've found that the cheaper helmets are heavier than the pricier ones.

This is 1050 grams: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/urban-helmets/n350-moto.htm

1179 grams: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/dainese/jet-stream-tourer/

You can get into full face helmet weights around 1400 grams. BMW makes a crazy $1000 full face helmet the Sport Intergal Carbon that weighs a straight 1 kilo.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

pr0zac posted:

I've got the same jacket and pants. After my ~500 mile ride today I have to say, its a good combination. Just wondering, how'd you get the set to connect? My method involved my friend Jen, a sewing machine, and way too much thread.

Don't use thread unless you have kevlar thread, the thread will be the weak point and it'll come apart with enough force. I use strong fishing line or strong dental floss when I add zippers to jackets.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

BlackMK4 posted:

Does anyone know how dirtbike boot sizing works? I'm looking at buying a pair of Gaerne Boots online, but I can't find any in a store to try on.

My Gaerne boots fit pretty true to size, a 44 is a 10, 43 9.5, 42 9, etc. If you have wide feet you might want to go up a size.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Sedge posted:

Also, does anyone know what full faced helmets would be most accommodating to a pair of glasses? There are days when I don't feel like putting in contacts.

Arai's helmets have grooves in the padding to allow for large sunglasses, I can wear a pair of Oakley XXs under it. With thin wire eye glasses most helmets should work.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Fantastipotamus posted:

Cool, thanks.. Do you have the regular cut jeans? It looks like they have a looser cut as well as a 'carpenter' cut with the utility pockets and such.

I find that the carpenter cut sits pretty high compared to most of my other jeans, they also seem to fade more than my other jeans with more washings. They do feel really well constructed though.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

NumptyScrub posted:

Probably a noob question but I got myself some of these gloves for riding, as I wanted something "waterproof" to go with the waterproof textiles (I'll be commuting on the bike in traditional English weather :rolleyes: ). They work fine, the knuckle vents help keep the temps down in hot weather, but they are starting to garner some rather unpleasant odours. Should I be getting a pair of lighter "summer" gloves and just put up with the odd shower (saving these for the winter / major storms), or is there something I can do to keep them odour free?

Personally I've never found a pair of gloves that are truly waterproof, some are water resistant longer than others but unless you use a goretex or goretex like material as a seperate outer layer I find in long rainstorms my hands get wet or cold.

REI sells some overmitts that are pretty nice and do a good job keeping heat in and your hands dry but they're regular mitts so no finger seperation. Makes working the brake with 2 fingers wierd. http://www.rei.com/product/725077?vcat=REI_SEARCH

Aerostich makes these: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Triple-Digit-Rain-Cover-p-16447.html
Which I expect are awesome as they would world the same as the tourmaster Winter Elite glove (it has a little pocket that stores it's goretex outer shell in), but these can be too hot for summer rain riding.

I'd say use your summer weight gloves with a liner, but you can buy small packets of ceder chips and put them in a nylon stocking and tuck that into the gloves when you're not riding and that should kill most of the oder. Works well for boots too.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 31, 2007

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Retarded Pimp posted:

Any opinions or experience with armored shirts, like this: http://www.bohnski.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGCRBH/Y

Seems like that just may be the thing to wear in hot weather if it does indeed protect.

They're best when you don't have to worry about lots of abrasion damage. Dirt bike riders use them since they don't have to worry about sliding down the asphalt. They do provide great impact protection from rocks, but at best the material that's holding the armor together is the same as a lightweight motorcycle mesh jacket. At worst they're a stretchy meshy material that's supposed to be worn under a jacket or jersey that dosen't have armor in it.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

23reasons posted:

Can anyone offer an opinion on armoured shirts, such as this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-armor/velocity-gear/juggernaut.htm

The review there is very positive, and I tend to trust their opinion, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiance with them?

This kind of armor works great when paired with something that has high abrasion resistance. This armor is designed to help prevent impact injuries and while if you were to fly off the bike and into a tree this type of armor would help more than say an armorless Vanson jacket this armor will quickly fall apart if you're sliding down the road. It's designed to hug your body tightly and to do that it often uses some sort of lycra or other thin stretchy material. This material is not abrasion resistance and will just fall apart if you end up sliding or tumbling down asphalt.

Most of the riders who use this type of armor are riding off road where abrasion resistance is less of a concern than falling on rocks, trees, etc.

The ones that I've used are the 661 pressure suit and it's a nice set of armor but I would not wear it for street protection.

I've known a couple of people who like this as well: http://www.rockymoto.com/thor_7_impact_rig_page.htm

The 661 suit gets a bit warm if you're standing still for a while but it's pretty comfortable considering how many hard pieces of armor are on it.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm really enjoying the used pair of Lee Parks Design gloves that I picked up. The leather is cotton soft and they feel more like some sort of old driving glove rather than a motorcycle gauntlet. They're very light and I feel the controls of the bike more clearly than ever. They are so light compared to the other gloves I've had that they feel like they're not even there by comparison.

They do lack all forms of impact protection, but after riding around and crashing in the dirt many times in my Alpinstar SP-2 gloves I've come to the conclusion that impact protection in gloves is a bit of overkill, and the carbon fiber knuckle guards are more of a hazard than they're worth.

My only complaints are that if worn without a jacket the sharp velcro sticks out under the seam of the gauntlet and it scratches. The velcro of the two straps also catch on each other when I stuff them into my helmet or bag. There is quite a bit of black grime and such on the deer skin from the previous owner, but that just seem the nature of these.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

rope kid posted:

Do you have the DeerTours PCis? I have some mighty Tour Master Winter Elite Deathlord 5000 gloves that are 8" thick and feel terrible, but with my imminent heated grips, I might want to ditch them in favor of lighter gloves.

I've got the deer sports black and tans, they're not insulated at all but if the black and tans are any indicator the PCIs might be very flexible.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 27, 2007

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

the_reject posted:

I'll be echoing a sentiment from back on page 1, but last week I purchased my riding gear for the upcoming season and beyond. I'm a new rider and I got into it knowing I'd be spending a lot of dough on gear, so I wasn't going to cheap out. A friend and I stopped at a BMW dealer here in the Atlanta area last week, and after several hours of trying on different jackets (Commuter 3, Santiago, etc, and some non-BMW brands), I finally settled on the BMW Rallye 2 Pro. What sold me was the more than adequate vents, the Gore-Tex liner, and above all, the back protector. I could have walked out of the shop with a Santiago (which actually has better fabric than the Rallye 2, but the armor isn't as good) in my size, but the back protector in the Rallye 2 really swayed me more than the increase in price so I placed the order and waited for it to come in.

It arrived today, and yeah. It's awesome. My only remorse is that I didn't purchase it online. I would've saved a lot of bread versus buying it at the dealer. But I see this jacket as something that I can easily wear year-round, and something I don't mind putting on before going out on a ride - which is kind of the point with gear anyway.

I love mine, I expect you'll really enjoy yours. One thing that took me a while to figure out: When you open the sleeve vents have the zippers meet in the middle to keep the elbow armor secure and close to your arm.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

the_reject posted:

I just did this, and will be sharing it with my riding buddy who also has a Rallye 2. I swear, this thing should've come with a 50-page instruction manual!

This week hasn't been all that cold here in Atlanta, so I've been running without the liner. Tonight I got stuck in a light shower on my way home (first time in rain coupled with first time riding after dusk). I was certain that I'd get a little damp without the Goretex liner (as well as cursing the fact I'd taken it out right before hopping on the bike because I was a little warm), but I made it through 10 minutes of it without problem. I'm in love with this jacket - I'm hoping that it won't be too hot in the summer because I don't want to sacrifice the protection it offers, but at the same time, I don't want to be so miserable wearing it that I'm discouraged to put it on.

I just made it through baja and death valley wearing it in areas where the temp was over 100. I think it's a perfect traveling jacket. I also find it gets even more water resistant without the liner the dirtier it gets :)

Some people have told me they don't like it in cold weather as the liner dosen't keep them warm enough. Personally I prefer it not to have a thrid insulating layer like the Rev'it jackets since I run a heated liner in the extreme cold and the jacket gives me a bit more room to move than other liners that have more insulation.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

abunchofnumbers posted:

How do you keep your visor from fogging up? I'm wearing the scorpian exo1000, and I leave it in the locker room at work which is usually pretty warm (high 70s). When I leave work and put it on it's in the lower 50's and it fogs up pretty bad. I've been riding with the visor open so I can see but that really sucks.

After riding for a bit when the temperatures evens out it stops fogging, but I'd like to see if there's a way to get it unfogged quicker.

Take shaving cream (not gel) and rub it on the inside of your visor, then wipe it off, you'll be good for 5-10 commutes, then just reapply. This may be less effective if the visor comes with an anti-fog pre treatment. You could always just put on a fog city screen but I always get finger prints somewhere I don't want them when I try those.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

bung posted:

I think I've found my new "long trip" riding gear. I went Eurosport and checked out the new Triumph clothing line. I really like the Sympatex Pantha Jacket ($315) and the Sympatex Pants ($282). Right now I have some Frank Thomas stuff that is great but the jacket is 3/4 length but it worked better on the Speed Triple than on the Sprint ST due to position. Soon I will be a total Triumph gear queer. :gay: The jacket also has a wallet pocket just inside the storm flap which Tony, the shop owner, told me will accommodate a medium sized pistol perfectly. :woop: Texas concealed carry laws!

I really like how those pants look.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jay_Zombie posted:

I was wondering the same. It's on my short list of jackets. I especially like the belt loops for attaching them to my Draggin Jeans.

Another one I was looking at was the AlpineStar Dragster. I love the look, it reminds me of the older Simpson firesuits.

Keep in mind that belt loop fasteners are not likely to keep the jacket joined to the jeans in an accident. The belt loops themselves will pull off pretty easily under crash forces.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Dean! posted:

Can anyone recommend some noise canceling earphones? Here is what I am looking at so far:

* Etymotic Research Isolator Earphones - $90

* Sennheiser CX300 - $60

Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you know of something better?

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides. The cord on the Sures is thicker which I think helps prevent getting wierd noise artifacts from the cord whipping around or rubbing under jacket. I switched to the ER-6s and the ear piece is smaller but you need to check them somewhat often as they do collect wax which can damage the speaker. After having ridden ~25K with the headphones I'm switching to the helmet speakers. All of the in ear headphones I've used give me a massive ear ache if I use them for all day rides. While both worked well I'm moving to the helmet speakers so I can still use ear plugs and be comfortable all day rather than have a hard speaker body in my ear.

Xanie really loves his EAR monitors with the custom molds, but they are quite expensive.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jolci posted:

I have a pair of Shure e2c's and they've worked great for me, and I never had any problems with my helmet. My Shoei X-11 has a bit more room around the ears than most other helmets I've tried seem to have though, so that might be why. They're a pain when you take your helmet off, but if you've put them in right than it usually isn't too bad. I don't get a head ache from having them in, but sometimes because there's such a seal between them in your ear it's just uncomfortable -- like you want to equalize your ears or get the poo poo out of them for a second. I imagine that would happen with any close fitting earplugs though, and I don't use the foam inserts, I use the rubber ones which may make them feel weirder with ear wax and all.

yeah the e2cs do work well and all but I found that with any in-ear monitor I was getting a lot of pain after a few concecutive days of all day riding. They're great for a day out in the mountains or even a weekend trip, but for a week long trip my ears were in agony. I have found that cleaning my ears with hydrogen piroxide every night, and buring through a lot of q-tips did stretch it to a couple more days of comfort. When my ears finally had enough though it was pretty bad. My ears were hurting bad enough that my teeth were starting to throb. I'm switching to the helmet speakers for that reason.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Uthor posted:

I've been wanting to get a set of cold/cool weather gear (40F-65F (I'm cold blooded and like to be warm)). My current JR leather coat works great down to about 60F, but them I start adding layers and eventually look like a bloated snowman, so I want something proper for the spring.

I've been hearing some good things about textile gear for cold weather, so I've been leaning toward that. It also seems a little cheaper than leather, which is nice. In addition to being warm, I'd like it to be windproof and relatively water resistant. Obviously, I want something that'll hold up to a fall, with CE approved armor being a plus. I don't have a need for pockets or storage on the coat itself. I would like the coat to be red or yellow if possible; all black doesn't really work for me. I'm looking for a jacket and a pair of overpants for about $400, though I'm willing to go higher if it's worth it. I've got a couple months before the bike comes back out, but I want to start looking.

I started off looking at some of A*'s stuff, but I only see two jackets that could work. Also, I don't see them selling textile overpants to mate with the jacket and the only color I see is black.

Sigma Drystar Jacket
+In my price range
+Full sleeve liner
-Black only
-No mention of the type of material (how strong is it?)

Space Drystar Jacket
+Full sleeve liner
+600-denier polyester fabric
-Black only
-Close to the limit of what I want to spend before even looking at overpants

I then took a look at Cortech/Tourmaster's stuff. Everyone raves about Tourmaster, but I have a few things from them and have had issues with zippers coming off, so I'm a little apprehensive about them. They do have really good prices, though (~$300 for jacket and pants).

Saber Series 2 Jacket
+Cheap
+Comes in Red
+600 Denier Carbolex shell
+CE shoulder and elbow armor/foam back protector
-No upgrade for the armor
-I'm sick of snaps to arm adjustment

Transition Series 2
+Looks to have more features and be warmer than the Saber Series 2 jacket
+Red or yellow and more visible than the Saber Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex and 600 Denier ballistic polyester shell" sounds pretty strong (better than the Saber Series 2 jacket)

Master GX Sport Series 2
+"600 Denier Carbolex shell incorporates 1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester impact panels;" Sounds really strong
+I like the styling on it
-Doesn't look as warm as the Tourmaster stuff

The plus on those three jackets is the available overpants (Venture or Caliber).

There's also an expensive FirstGear Jacket, but that comes close to $600 once I add in the overpants. The cheaper pieces don't seem to use as good material for abrasion protection.

I've only been looking at NewEnough right now. Are there any other brands I should take a look at? I'm leaning toward the Tourmaster Transition Series 2 jacket.

For the price I'd really look at just getting a set of heated liners rather than another set of great. While another set of gear will keep you non-hypothermic down to maybe the 40s liners will keep you warm and comfortable down to the low 30s to 20s. As long as your JR jacket isn't too perforated you'd be fine with just a t-shirt, liner, and then your JR jacket. https://www.warmnsafe.com is a good company so is https://www.gerbings.com

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Xlyfindel posted:

Now that springs about to roll around and I'll be riding more, I've made note of all the things I now deem unacceptable in my current riding gear and would like to begin replacing it. What I really am looking for is hard data showing specific weights, size, materials used, etc, between several manufacturers models of similar products.

I would like to start with helmets, and I've been assured that if it passes DOT and Snell that it will protect me adequately, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about are things like weight, liners, visors, and venting. I'm kinda at a loss because I can find maybe one decent review with that info, but only for really top of the line stuff that would cost me more than what I was planning to pay for my next three helmets combined.

Fake Edit: This isn't pure racing gear here, I'm going to need to use it for the road too so it needs to be bearable under any condition I would consider riding in, not just sunny track days, but the criteria is still pretty much the same.

I'd look at mid line shoeis like the TZ-R which is a great all round helmet in the low $200s. If you have a more oval shaped head like me, I'd look at the scorpion Ex-700 line, or Shark's lineup but Shark will cost a bit more. You can usually find out 80% of the things you need to know about a helmet by going and trying them on for 10-15 mins each. If it fogs up a bunch in the store it'll fog up at street lights. If you can't use your glasses/sunglasses you'll need to change visors, if changing the visor is hard now it will be worse on the side of the road in the dark. The only things I find hard to judge in the store is helmet noise, and lining durability.

Webbikeworld seems to be the end all and be all bike gear review site. I do find Pauls' comments about fit and sizing to be very accurate on Newenough.com.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Terminus Est posted:

I guess it depends on how you define ridiculous, but I just picked up a pair of Sidi Saber MX boots for street riding. They come almost up the bottom of my knee right next to the knee pads in my riding pants. My legs feel like tanks with them on I couldn't be happier with them. I wore them around the house for a few days to break them in and today I went out for a good hundred mile ride and they were very comfortable on my Honda 599. I wouldn't wear them to a meeting or walk around all day in them, but I think they're pretty bad rear end in the Mad Max kind of way.

$175 here: http://www.rockymoto.com/sidi_saber_page.htm

You also might want to look into the Aerostitch Combat boots.

I also wear MX boots on my street bike and find that they're quite comfortable and they don't look crazy. I wear the Gaerne Explorer http://www.rockymoto.com/gaerne_7_explorer_page.htm and the Gaerne Balence http://www.east-texcycles.com/Boots.html

The explorer is nicer for hiking but has less (none) ankle protection.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

bung posted:

I am also looking at getting the ER6i headphones because my X11 doesn't get along with my E2cs. Would someone who owns the ER6is be so kind as to post s picture of them next to a quarter or something so I can get an idea of size? There are no local Etymotic dealers in my area.

Sure thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Jazzzzz posted:

Is there a waterproof quasi-offroad boot out there that doesn't cost $300+? The closest thing I'm finding are the Sidi Discovery (water "resistant', $300) and the Gaerne Oiled Balance ($330, brown boots won't match my black pants and will force me to buy all new gear + Coach handbag).

I have Gaerne GT waterproof touring boots right now, but they're losing their waterproofness and they aren't too comfortable to walk around in. A few people recommended I look at some dual sport boots to address the comfort issue, but I would like them to be waterproof as well since I ride in the rain a decent amount.

My Garene Explorers are waterproof provided I coat them in minkoil about 3-4 times a year. But I've ridden through streams with them and they've done a good job no complaints in the rain either, they run ~100. Other than that I'd think you'd want to look at a real touring road boot, or just see about mink oiling and seam sealing your current boots.