Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

I have two questions:
Are mesh pants really going to do much more than jeans for me? Would they be comfortable to wear over shorts? They don't look all that sturdy but if mesh pants +shorts is better than just plain jeans which is what I wear now I'll do it for the shorts.
Edit: Obviously I am talking about just driving around town at low speeds, not racing or anything.

All mesh is not created equal. I bought a mesh jacket (FirstGear) and mesh pants (AlpineStars) at the beginning of last summer, when I started riding, and wore it all summer until it got cold. Then, I shelled out for a leather jacket. I will never go back to the FirstGear jacket - it's a joke compared to leather, and compared to the AlpineStars pants.

These pants: http://newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/alpinestars/air_flo_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html

Are nice and thick, incredibly easy to get on and off (I commute), and have already proven their worth in one low-speed spill. I would not, repeat, would not use them for everyday highway commuting, though. For that poo poo, buy leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002

Leroy Diplowski posted:

flake edit: there's something about wearing black leather gloves that makes me want to do a mob hit, or crack a safe or something.

When I got my gloves that had armored and padded knuckles, I went around the house punching stuff. Gloves do funny stuff to 'ya.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
Just rec'd my Scorpion exo 400 helmet the other day - so far I like it, but the cheek pads are a little too big for my pudgy-rear end face. I think I'd be in heaven if I could keep the rest of the pads as is but swap the L cheek pads for XL - does anyone know if Scorpion does the same thing as HJC in that you can adjust your fit by buying different pads?

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
I was within inches of buying one for the interior drop-down sun shield. That's sweet.

And my tinkering has revealed that it's trivial to remove the cheekpads and get directly at the foam in there without messing up the liner at all. Then you can start trimming for a custom fit. I've just about got it perfect now.

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002
I typically ride with a pair of Alpinestar mesh pants over a pair of jeans. When I ride without those, I wear a pair of carhartt work pants made out of 12oz. canvas. It's not ideal, but I've slid on this stuff before riding a pedal bike, and a 15mph asphalt skid just scuffed the fabric - I'm assuming that at around-town speeds, it will offer enough protection to at least minimize the road rash. I'll say this much - typical jeans shed in a loving INSTANT on road surfaces. Then you have shreds of fabric to get out of your wounds in addition to road crap. Fun.

To address the "impact protection" issue, Aerostitch sells what is essentially a double-front version of my work pants that have access under the double-front to add kneepads:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Arborwear-Gusseted-Canvas-Pants-p-16909.html

Of course, if you want to save some coin, you can just buy canvas work pants with double fronts right from a Carhartt retailer and stick some pads in there. Most double-front work pants don't stitch up the bottom of doubled up area, because a lot of people who buy them stick pads up there to kneel on anyways.

http://carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32068&langId=-1&categoryId=10935

If I could find a version of this pant with a double front and a doubled-up seat as well, that would be all I'd ever wear around town on the bike.

If you like the look of jeans, carhartt also sells a double-fronted logger dungaree made out of 15oz (!) denim.

http://carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32099&langId=-1&categoryId=10935

Hell, I might have to check those out...

EDIT: poo poo - just found these: http://carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=96509&langId=-1&categoryId=10935
Those look like they might do a decent job.

emil_muzz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 10, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emil_muzz
Apr 14, 2002

Skier posted:

Aerostich. It's Aerostich.

Jesus. I never caught that. I've always just seen "stitch". I'll attempt to reprogram my brain.