Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

A journey never truly has an end...

Phat_Albert posted:

Teknic Chicane Leather Pants $179.96
I have these pants and love them. I've worn them on both the track and on short trips, as well as on a 10-hour 650-mile trip, and they were comfortable the whole time. Hot in the summer sun (obviously) but did a fantastic job of handling the rain I was stuck in on the way back from Chicago last fall. All but 30 minutes (on the road) of that trip was spent riding in the rain. Break-in wasn't too bad - took only a few rides before they started to stretch and fit well. Crotch has breathable mesh over it too to keep you from getting too uncomfortable down there. I give them a thumb's-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

I am liking the Teknics the more I read about them, and they are the cheapest to boot. Did yours come with knee pucks, or will I have to buy some?

Also, how do they fit? Tight, loose, or same as comparatively-sized jeans?? Is there any stretch or adjustability in the waist? I find I am usually smack dab inbetween sizes, so adjustability is a plus. If I could buy a size up and adjust it down, that would be great.
I'm a big fan of Teknic and I'm honestly sad that NewEnough stopped carrying it. The pants come with pucks, and the pucks are in the perfect position, and work well (as well as pucks should, I guess).

As for fit: They're very comfortable now. I'm a 34x34, so I bought the 34 pair. The waist fit great right from the start. It has a zipper as well as a velcro pull-through belt, so it can adjust out or in a little ways if needed. The tightest part of the pants was the knees, but really only during break in. Now the accordian-like stretch zone in the knee area has softened and they fit great. The legs zip down tight to your leg, but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. Just right to fit inside of a boot. The loosest part on the pants are probably the rear end, at least in my case. Maybe I just have a flat butt. Sorry ladies :( Actually, the more I think about it, they're only loose there when walking around - when in crouched riding mode they hug the rump perfectly.

As a recap: Teknic makes some great gear, and it fits well, and is priced quite agressively.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

honclfibr posted:

:words:
Good advice from someone who's had experience. I didn't know this. I guess that makes me a little more concerned about my jacket. Thanks for the head's-up.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

My pants came with the thicker ones, and I've chewed through half of them.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

My Joe Rocket leather gloves got wet (I wore them dirt biking, hurr) and now the right glove is formed in the shape of my hand grabbing a ton of throttle. It's very uncomfortable. Any ideas on fixing that?
Get it soaked and wear it around with your hand relaxed!

Okay, kidding aside, just wearing it and breaking it back in is probably your only option. I hate getting my leather gloves wet because they do the same thing. You just need to wear it back in. Maybe some leather lotion would help.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Yuns posted:

Has anyone seen the new BMW neck brace? I just read about it on autoblog and engadget.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/09/bmw-motorrad-intros-neck-brake-system-for-motorcyclists/
It looks ridiculous but it's shown to really help the looks wouldn't stop me from using one.
That's pretty slick. Basically just using the Hans device as a template, I'm assuming? I wonder if we'll start to see this more often on the track now, or if it'll become enforced?

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

JAlfredPrufrock posted:

I doubt it, it looks impossible to get any sort of mobility out of it.

As the article posted:

The idea is of course to stop the head from moving too far in any direction whilst in a collision, but the team does state that "the rider is also able to retain freedom of movement needed when driving."

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

The suit should be a little loose while you're walking around. I know mine is. It's best if you can get the suit on and go sit on a bike, while one of the dealer monkeys holds it upright for you. You'll see how the suit changes to fit your crouched form. When I'm on my bike it fits me like a glove.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

C_H_A posted:

I just received my Scala Rider Teamset bluetooth headsets.
I'll post a review of them after I recover from knee surgery in a couple weeks.
The girlfriend and I tried them out yesterday and the range between the two helmets was about 30 feet. Call quality with my bluetooth phone was outstanding but that's in a non-riding environment.
If anybody has any questions about these please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
They seem very well built, they mount up easy, they're not waterPROOF but they're capable of being operated in light moisture (as per the booklet), they are easy to use with gloves, they respond well in VOX mode.
Do you both wear full-face helmets? How well does the mouthpiece work in that situation? I see it on their site being used that way - I'm just curious if you get that issue where it sounds like you're yelling in the mic. Looks pretty nice though!

Product link here

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

C_H_A posted:

Yes, we both have FF helmets. HJC CS-12, and an HJC CL-MAX.
We didn't have to yell at all but, again, this was in the house and not riding.
Oh, I meant with the mic position being close to your mouth. Did it sound like you were eating the mic?

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Ahh. Just wanted to make sure the positioning was comfortable with it. Neat. I'm seriously considering it.

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Taisa posted:

Was looking at the gloves offered by leeparksdesign.com, and was wondering if anyone has tried them out, and how well they work. Specifically, these.
I've never used those, but if they live up to what they claim, those gloves would be really nice for touring. And they drat well better be for $180!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravyn
May 8, 2002

Now, I'm a gear advocate, but of course, I've stated in the past that nothing feels better than the wind blowing by your face as you cruise down some back country roads. The funny thing is, the whole WEAR GEAR movement has really changed and taken hold, which is for the best.

Thinking back, back when bikes of old, the japanese standards and cruisers of the 60's, 70's and 80's were common sights... Back then, helmet laws were much more lax, so no one was wearing helmets. But, thinking about it, on those kinds of bikes, it just seems natural to NOT wear one. That was just the look that came with it.

Now, with sportbikes, you're burned at the stake if you don't have your gear on, at least by a lot of people here and many of the people I ride with. It's just funny how that works. Bikes of old were just as deadly as the bikes of today. The bikes of today just take you there much faster. Without the gear, though, you just look misplaced.

I still love going up to my parent's place, getting out my dad's '78 XS400, and heading out for a 30 mile cruise with nothing but a jacket, gloves and a pair of shades.