Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

PlasticSun posted:

For those that have the Arai helmets, how often do you change visors? After a while can you do it in the dark by the roadside?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfuA9b_75g

It is very easy once you have done it a few times, but goddamn the first 10 or so tries at getting the visor to latch into the pods is :argh: :ssj: :argh: I still don't even bother trying to do it with the helmet on my head, but it's no problem in low light areas.

I emailed KomodoGear about that "Classic" jacket of theirs - turns out it is perforated, so I'll be putting in an order for one once I find a new bike.

Bob Morales posted:

ICON is making a ton of black jackets.

ICON is the riced-out V6 Mustang of motorcycle gear - all show, no go

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Also, I've been looking for a good leather jacket for a while now. I want one that's neither harleyish, nor one of those carnival colored crotchrocket jackets. I went into a local leather shop the other day, and found one that I really liked, but I'm not sure it it's going to offer the protection of a name brand jacket. It was obviously meant for riding, with a zip out inner liner and vents. The material seemed pretty thick, but how can I tell if it's going to be as safe?

Check out newenough, kneedraggers, motorcyclecloseouts.com, ridegear, etc. FirstGear makes a few understated jackets; RevIT has a really nice one, the style is called "Moto". IMG here (not my host): http://www.autoserviciomotorista.com/images/productos/cuero/4005.jpg

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Road_Warrior posted:

So can anyone give me some feedback on Teknic stuff, like their leather jackets and suits. I got my eye on a particular jacket but I don't want to buy any of their gear if it is like the stories I have heard about Icon's stuff.

Teknic is OK if you stay away from their lower end stuff (Lightning/Chicane) - the stitching isn't so great.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Neck Tooth posted:

Ha, but I think my issue is that it really DOES feel like the visor/helmet's gonna break when you change them out. I just can't get used to bending a piece of (expensive) plastic like that without getting all worried. I'll go to a therapist, maybe that'll help.

Agreed - the prices they charge for replacement visors are loving ridiculous, and I still get a little nervous when I can't quite get one side or the other to line up just right without "forcing" it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

rope kid posted:

That's true. I guess I was just surprised, because the way people talk about them, I figured they would be 2 grand or something.

I told a friend of mine I was looking at buying a Darien two-piece a few weeks ago and Aerostich sent me a bill for $24.95 :cb:

pr0zac posted:

I know my size from trying on stuff from a local shop, but I'm not sure how universal I can assume that size is.

I go from a 44 in A-*s to a 40 in Joe Rocket to a 42 in Teknic, and the fit in the same size across the same brand differs depending on the model of jacket/pant you try on. If you're gonna buy from the internet, do it someplace that has a great return policy (NewEnough)

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 27, 2007

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

The jacket has all the armor I need as do the gloves. The pants seem more than adequate for perforated leather. Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

Mapless likes it, I think it's cheaply made. My dislike applies more to their textiles than their leathers, though. Still, I'd probably put my money in someone else's pocket (Alpinestars or KomodoGear, probably - Dainese and Spidi are loving ridiculously expensive)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sir Tonk posted:

FirstGear's Honcho? The Honcho looks like it'd vent better, but I don't know if either would suffice when it hits 100 with high humidity.

If you're riding in 100 degree heat with high humidity, you want perforated leather. It's still going to be hot as balls, but it will breath a shitload better than solid leather with zippered vents in it. If you spend a lot of time riding in those kinds of temperatures you might want to look at a mesh jacket with perforated leather on the impact points (arms/spine/chest) or dropping the coin on a MotoPort kevlar mesh jacket.

I had a Joe Rocket mesh+perf'd leather jacket that I wore during the summer that I lowsided in last year. It was hot as gently caress in 90 deg. weather in that thing anytime you were at a standstill. A solid leather jacket with vents would be like sitting in a sauna, and fully perforated jacket would only be a mild improvement unless you were constantly moving. In the kind of heat you're talking about, you'd be soaked with sweat almost instantly.

edit: goddammit I keep winding up with the first post on a new page and flipping out thinking I hit post instead of reply

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Blaise posted:

How did it hold up?

I only landed/skidded on the perfed leather, which scuffed up a bit but otherwise did fine. The JR textile pants I was wearing, which were a much heavier fabric than the mesh on the jacket, melted through in about 3 or 4 spots. Not tore, MELTED. If I hadn't been wearing jeans underneath them I would've been picking polyester out of my legs for days.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Blaise posted:

Sounds like I'll be buying more leather gear. How fast of a lowside was it?

25mph on new, smooth blacktop

Skier posted:

Weren't those "Moto GP" brand leather suits having some serious construction issues? Seams bursting and whatnot?

Barnacle Bill posted on the fireblade.org forums about a few of the MotoGP kangaroo leather suits sent to him looking like they exploded when the wearer landed on the speed hump, a few people responded saying that they'd crash tested theirs and hadn't had any problems - might've been a run of a few suits, or the people w/ no problems were just lucky

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

aventari posted:

... while I couldn't make the Scorpion fog up. That and $200 less sealed the deal.

All of the other helmet manufacturers need to steal Scorpion's fog-proofing system. Even after repeatedly cleaning the inside of the visor, I could never get my EXO700's visor to fog unless it was below freezing outside. My Arai's visor will fog if there's more than 50% humidity in the air, meaning it fogs every single summer night here. I'm importing a pinlock system from the UK for it - the Shoei system that's available in the US works great, no idea why they haven't started selling the system for the Arais here yet.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

I used one of these (the Fog City version though) and the tinting stopped working in about 4 months.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

orinth posted:

I was wondering how those work. Guess I won't try one out.

It's just the ones that change from clear to tinted that have problems. If you get one that's clear all the time or tinted all the time, they last for about a year before they get sort of cloudy and have to be replaced. Those usually cost half of what the color-changing versions do, so they're worth the money.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

You can add Joe Rocket and FirstGear to the list of companies who do this.

And Alpinestars and Fieldsheer and TourMaster/Cortech and Dainese and Spidi and and and and and - pretty much any company that puts a connecting zipper into a piece of their protective outerwear will include the connecting half so it can be sewn into non-matching gear.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Portable591 posted:

... We'll see how they hold up over time, but they are leather, so they should last.

Just because they're leather doesn't mean they'll hold together - stitching, etc. make a big difference. Not saying they're going to fall apart the second you look at them funny, but materials don't mean poo poo without high quality construction.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Uthor posted:

Should the armor be in the correct position while standing (i.e. if I fall off the bike and extend my legs) or while on the bike?

Riding - you're probably not going to extend your legs that much either willfully or just as part of being flung around should you come off the bike.

And yes, buy the CE armor, it's cheap peace of mind.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Mapless posted:

Are you really wanting to buy a helmet with inflatable bits?

your experiences with inflatable girlfriends may not necessarily transfer over to inflatable helmets :iceburn:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

shoafer0 posted:

Honestly I'm just worried about the summer, or is this a non issue?

Your hands will sweat a little bit and it can make the gloves stink after a few months of solid use. Otherwise it's a non issue.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pr0zac posted:

Great deal on a Teknic coat over at newenough right now:
http://newenough.com/closeouts/leather_suits_jackets_and_pants/teknic/chicane_perforated_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html
Can actually find pants that attach to this thing too as opposed to that MotoGP Corkscrew jacket I bought a few months ago. Not that I'm bitter or anything. :colbert:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=86-5212

That didn't exactly take much :effort:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

swanage posted:

I'm looking to start commuting with a 17"(!) laptop to work on my bike. I'd like something with an interior closure, like this. That one looks like it just might fit the bill, and the price ain't too shabby either, but I'd like to know what my options are if anyone else knows of some other interior zippered bags.

I don't have that particular model of backpack, but I do own another MobileEdge backpack designed to fit 17" laptops and have only good things to say about it. I've gotten caught in the rain with it a couple of times and it kept water out of the main compartment, there are no frayed seams or stitching anywhere on it after almost a year of daily use, and there is a shitload of room in the pack. It's hands down better than any Eastpack/Jansport/etc. pack that I've ever owned, and for me it's more convenient than the Timbuktu messenger bag I used to ride with.

A++ would buy again.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 2, 2007

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Griffon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good online distributor of jackets for Canada?

newenough.com will ship to Canada - this is a fairly recent change, within the past couple of months

rope kid, didn't you order a 'stich after your trip to Wisconsin last year? I would've sworn I remember you posting about ordering one and having it expedited because you got soaked/etc. on the way up and wanted it for the ride back.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2007

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Do any of you gents own a heated jacket liner/gloves/etc. that you'd recommend to someone else? I'm a bit trepidatious at the thought of dropping $400+ on some poo poo that I probably only wear for maybe 2 months out of the riding season, tops.

Then again, those 2 months might be months that I wouldn't ride without the heated gear.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

abunchofnumbers posted:

How do you keep your visor from fogging up? I'm wearing the scorpian exo1000, and I leave it in the locker room at work which is usually pretty warm (high 70s). When I leave work and put it on it's in the lower 50's and it fogs up pretty bad. I've been riding with the visor open so I can see but that really sucks.

After riding for a bit when the temperatures evens out it stops fogging, but I'd like to see if there's a way to get it unfogged quicker.

It's not the temperature differential, it's the humidity in the locker room - do you have somewhere less humid that you can leave the helmet? Can you lock it on the bike without too much fear of it being stolen? The Scorpion shields are one of the best I've ever seen for fog resistance - you could breathe on the shield in my EXO-700 in sub-freezing weather and it would clear almost instantly. Have you "cleaned" the inside of the visor with anything?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sepist posted:

I was really looking forward to buying the HJC CL-15 as my second helmet since I love my CL-14 but OH MY GOD THE NERD INSIDE ME JUST CAN'T HANDLE THIS

http://www.tahoedemocenter.com/detail.aspx?ID=59

I need that. NOW.

edit: As a matter of fact, now that my parents just inherited 150k I think i'm gonna hit them up for this helmet for Christmas when I go down to visit them

most of the Akuma helmets have pretty sweet paintjobs, and the little gimmick LEDs, but considering they're just mass-produced helmets that are sold under other brands like Vemar for $250 or less, the price premium they're asking for the paint and the map light is a bit much

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Uthor posted:

How is this compared to the stand alone back protector? I've been thinking about getting it for my jacket to replace the dual density foam that is already in there. I'm not gonna get a stand alone back protector 'cause I know I'll never wear it.

that pad is essentially their stand-alone back protector without straps. it's not as good as a stand-alone because the armor will move around with your jacket, which probably doesn't have a tight fit, but it's better than the EVA foam that came with it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Z3n posted:

But i'd rather have gear that's been tested by people hitting the ground and coming back to talk about it and improve on it for the last 20 years than something that passes an arbitrary impact standard. Call me old fashioned.

If I had to choose between one or the other I'd rather have gear that is scientifically tested to pass a standardized set of criteria based on real-world requirements as opposed to going on anecdotal evidence alone. Every crash is different - I'd rather go down on gear with a proven baseline and not have to trust word of mouth.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is there a waterproof quasi-offroad boot out there that doesn't cost $300+? The closest thing I'm finding are the Sidi Discovery (water "resistant', $300) and the Gaerne Oiled Balance ($330, brown boots won't match my black pants and will force me to buy all new gear + Coach handbag).

I have Gaerne GT waterproof touring boots right now, but they're losing their waterproofness and they aren't too comfortable to walk around in. A few people recommended I look at some dual sport boots to address the comfort issue, but I would like them to be waterproof as well since I ride in the rain a decent amount.

VVv sounds like a winner, I'll check the Explorers out vVV

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 2, 2008

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Tindjin posted:

Anyone had any luck with finding decent 3/4 length boots in a WIDE size? I really don't want to have to resort to harley type boots to get something waterproof.

I had a pair of Oxtar Infinities that I loved and are finally giving up on me after 5 years. I know that TXC bought Oxtar but I can't find any reviews saying they still run on the wider side.

I saw the Sidi Mega wides on NewEnough but the guy there says the calf adjustment is pretty limited.

Thanks for any tips on where to look.

Gaerne boots tend to fit a wider foot, I have a normal width and the Gaernes I own and all the ones I've tried on are pretty roomy.

Oxtar/TCX didn't change their boots at all, they just changed names and bumped their prices by 20-40% :smith:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Uthor posted:

I've got a wet ride tomorrow. I soaked two pairs of gloves yesterday and want to prevent pruned hands again. Would wearing nitrile gloves under my gloves be helpful (keep me dry without compromising grip and feel)?

If it's even moderately warm outside your hands will still get pruned because they'll sweat - the nitrile gloves don't breathe. It will work if the ride isn't that long, though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
There are plenty of bluetooth communications units that come with speakers you can install behind the liner in your helmet and pair with your phone for music/nav/whatever. Sena and Cardo have been the big names in the market, but I haven't bought a new one in a few years so I'm a bit behind the times as to who's best at the moment.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have recommendations on a sport touring-esque helmet for a longish oval head? 'Bout time to replace my RF-1100 and before I just move up to the 1200 I thought I'd check with y'all to see if GT Air or other helmets out there are worth a look. I love the fit on my Arai XD but I loving hate changing Arai shields so I'm probably going to stay away from the Signet line.

Are modulars still lovely or have the locking mechanisms seriously improved in the past 5 years?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

What's good in the gloves department that has no leather in it? For (sigh) ethical reasons. Not mine.

A lot of gloves have Clarino fingers and/or palms - that's a synthetic leather. I have never seen a glove that's made entirely of Clarino though, they're usually a mix of it and some other synthetic fabric or leather. Googling for "vegan motorcycle gloves" turned up a few options that didn't look so great, and they were all short summer-only gloves.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Thanks. Goons at a meet recommended I get gloves instead of heated grips since they don't work with all gloves, but I might look into it after all. It's just gonna be a pain to get them on to my Brutale.

I have a Powerlet heated jacket liner and matching glove liners, and the glove liners are just "meh".

The wires feel weird, and they're way bulkier than something like a silk or merino glove liner. They do keep the backs of your hands and fingers warm vs. just the palm side, like heated grips, but I'd probably take heated grips + hand guards over the heated liners for anything except the longest trips in cold weather. There are winter gloves made with un-insulated palms that are specifically designed to pair with heated grips.

I was about to suggest hippo hands or something similar, but they do not belong on a Brutale.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Merino liner sounds like a good cheap alternative to try. I will give it a shot first.

Just make sure the gloves aren't super tight with the liner added, you do not want to reduce circulation to your fingers

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't see a problem with this tbh, I would just consider the electric liner a permanent part of that glove. It's not like you have to have them turned on all the time.

Then again if it wasn't the weather for them to be turned on, I'd be wearing properly fitted leather gloves instead for the improved feel. Winter gloves are always going to be a tradeoff between having good feel at the start of the ride and being able to feel your hands at all after an hour of freezing wind chill. Since I mostly commute, I'll always prioritise the latter.

I dropped a couple hundred bux on a pair of Dainese Gore-Tex winter gloves sized up so my heated glove liners fit, and I almost never wear the damned things because it's like trying to ride with oven mitts on your hands. I should definitely have just gone with heated gloves out of the gate, but heated grips and hand guards work just fine for my commute so I never bothered.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean to negate its impact on feedback.

Yeah but that would also negate the insulation - you're trapping tiny air pockets in the insulating material to prevent heat transfer. Crush the material, no air pockets, you'd end up with cold bands everywhere you have straps

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Space Whale posted:

At some point I'm going to want to upgrade from my joe rocket jacket/pants:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-odyssey-one-piece-suit

For convenience's sake, this looks nice. Just one zipper to worry about, no loops/zipper to connect a top and bottom, etc. Is this the right way to go about it, or should I consider two-piece leather stuff? I'm commuting to work almost daily and I live in Denver CO.

I have the mesh version of this for summer riding. These are only adjustable to a certain degree (there are straps at the waist and I think at the back of the arms), and mine is pretty baggy even over work clothes. I'd save up and get the aerostich so you can get it tailored to fit you a little better if needed.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for fixing holes in boot soles?

Email alpinestars and see if they have a program to resole road/street boots - I know they will resole MX boots, including models with glued soles

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I wonder if very lightweight marino base layers would work under leathers. It's more comfortable than soggy cotton, wicks very well, and it doesn't stink like the typical capilene athletic fabrics after you've been sweating in it all day. Might be a little too warm though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone have an Icon Airframe Pro helmet? Last new helmet I bought was a Shoe RF1100, Icon still kinda had a reputation for making poser bullshit that they appear to have moved beyond now. Need a helmet for a long oval head and although I love the fit on Arai the cost is really loving high, I hate the shield mechanism, and I'm not a fan of the looks on their street helmets

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Don't forget the folks who buy the touring versions of those things that would have bought a Goldwing or full dresser HD but don't feel comfortable riding something with only two wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Thanks for all the appreciation for my neo-hipster blurb. :) I really enjoyed writing it.

Question- Today I found out that the ENTIRE CAN of scotch gaurd rain repellent that I put all over my Olympia Odyssey, as recommended by Olympia, does absolutely nothing in the rain. I got drenched this afternoon. I know the suit can be super waterproof, because it was that way until I washed it. I thought I could restore that, though. What should I try next?

I'm also super upset with myself for not buying the ARC Battle Born ADV suit earlier this year. It was about $350 for pants and jacket, and reviewed as favorably, or more so, than Klim. Of course, I wasn't thinking about buying a winter suit in the middle of summer. Now, that I'm ready to buy, it's out of stock and discontinued forever, with no replacement planned.

I love the Odyssey 1 piece, and CA member who gave it to me was super kind in doing so, I'd just like a two piece so I can just remove my jacket when I get to school for short classes.

Right now my choices seem to be just the Icon Raiden, and for a few bucks more I could get the Klim Overland. But that's about 800 for the suit, which is way way too much for me to spend. :homebrew:

I can't search ADVrider for used gear, because those fools are all at least six sizes larger than I.

Am I just stuck with what I have for the winter? Also, doesn't anyone make gear in hazard orange, instead of neon yellow?

VVVV But... It's my favorite color, and I want to match my Ktoom. :(

Buy some NikWax, wash your Odyssey with it. You can get it at any REI or on Amazon. It isn't perfect - if water pools anywhere on the suit it will eventually get through - but it works pretty damned well