Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

n8r posted:

I've crashed 2x in a Teknic chicane suit and it held up just fine - or maybe it was 3? There is a reason I don't do track days anymore, I love to crash.

I did end up totally cooking through the arm in one spot in a pretty highspeed lowside and getting a bit rashed. Oh well, it took a week to heal and it wasn't a big deal.

I totally agree that the Teknic suits are going to take less numbers of crashs, but they will protect you well. You might have a bigger repair bill if you do blow a seam, but that stuff isn't too expensive to have fixed. Usually a leather shop can repair suits for very modest pricing.

How can you not like a puck you barely used? I think I had JR pucks and they worked as advertised, I got a knee down and they slid - good times. They look a LOT like the puck on the left, wouldn't be surprised if they are just the same thing.

I think his point was he wanted something that gives him another inch or 2 of feel with his knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm in the market for new pants and warm-weather gloves now. I'm a bit torn as to what I should be looking at for pants. I previously used a set of Tourmaster pants, and while they were extremely comfortable and very well padded, they formed a hole in the top of the thighs when I went down at about 35mph. I wouldn't be too upset had I gone down at a higher speed but I expected them to hold up better at 35. I never got a chance to try them in really warm weather, the warmest they saw was in the high 60s. They performed extremely well in the cold/wet (one ride took me into the mid 30s in driving rain and my legs never once felt cold or wet).

Since I'm buying new pants anyways, I figure its time to switch to leathers. Does anyone have any reccomendation for some decnent year-round leathers? Pants that have good ventilation but wil still keep me warm when the temperatures drop are what I'm looking for. I'm partial to A* gear right now as my jacket took the crash like a champ. Joe Rocket and I aren't really on speaking terms, unless you can convince me otherwise.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I have absolute monster thighs. I'm a 34-36 inseam, but typically have to wear size 38 pants just so the thighs fit.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 4, 2007

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

n8r posted:

No real all-weather leathers.

I assumed as much. :sigh:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Antifederalist posted:

What are people's opinion on gear like this:

My cousin works at a bike equipment store and he was singing their praises, they apparently fit really well under pants and are pretty comfortable. I know they're not as good as real riding pants, but they seem a pretty good compromise.

You're a hell of a lot more likely to take the brunt of an impact on your butt. You might as well just wear knee pads.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The local store to forgot/didnt charge me for the pants I was buying, so I got these Firstgear Air 2.0 Overpants Entirely for free. Normal retail $190-$200. :v:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cuchulainn posted:

You left something out here...did they forget to charge you? If so, come on. That's not cool. Someone's gonna pay for 'em, you can count on that.

Yea, they forgot to charge me for them. They charged me for everything else I bought, but the pants did not come through on my credit bill.