Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

teknicolor posted:

What is everyone's opinion of knee armor worn under regular jeans? If I'm driving less than three miles to work, it just doesn't seem worth it to put on my leather trousers, drive 15 minutes, then take them off and change into my regular jeans. Should I just shut up and deal, or does the knee armor sound ok for short distances?

edit: something like these: http://tinyurl.com/356l5s

I was looking at doing this for my commute to school, since it's only a few minutes ride and I don't particularly want to be walking around in campus in full leathers. What I heard on some other bike message boards though was that after the initial impact unless it's directly straight on, the pads get absolutely wrenched around. For shits and giggles, I went by the local cyclegear and tried on a pair of the knee/shin armor they had and it wasn't strapped on nearly as tight as I'd like. Thinking about it now, for reference, when I slide tackle or similarly slip/fall when playing soccer my shinguards have often been twisted around, and they are very form fitting, under tight socks, and held in place with tight athletic tape. I really wouldn't have much faith in just a few velcro straps, especially when knee pads are notoriously loose fitting to allow for knee movement.

I have a pair of mesh overpants being shipped right now that have full length zippers on them and armor in the knees/hips, so I should be able to put them on/take them off/roll them up in a few moments time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Blaise posted:

What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear? I'm riding to class and work every day and I need something non-leather (because I ride in the rain too) that will vent as much as possible. Speeds are <50mph at all times, I have full leathers to wear for high-speed stuff.

Is mesh gonna work for <50mph riding? I ride 2 miles to work and between .5 and 1 mile to class.

I just bought some FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Overpants (or something like that), and I've heard they're great in hot weather although I haven't been able to try 'em out yet. Anyways, not the most flattering of cuts but they have foam armor in the knees and hips, and regular textile at the high wear spots at the knees and butt. The rest is all mesh. I was also looking at alot of the Joe Rocket Alter Ego stuff, but I've heard more than a few stories of it not holding up that great in crashes.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Sir Tonk posted:

That's a nice perf leather jacket, but only goes down to 40.

Anyone know of good jackets for someone with a 36" chest? All the ones I like end at 40 on the low-end. Perforated leather preferred since it's like 100+ in the summer here.

I have a MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket that has perf'd leather on parts of the chest and inner arms. I bought a medium and wear a 38-40 jacket, and it's a bit loose.. but the small was snug as a mother gently caress, and I'd say it's probably sized for a 36-38". Worn it in mid 70's without too much trouble unless I'm at a standstill, but even then it's certainly bearable. The only time I really started sweating was when I had jacket/helmet/gloves on and was having a bitch of a time airing up my tires at the gas station for a few minutes. I could see burning up around 100+ though unless I was on the highway. Since I've bought the jacket and been riding though, it hasn't hit the 80's yet so :).

To be honest though, I'm not completely impressed (especially for the price). It just seems like it was put together sloppily, with loose threads, a button popped off, jacket in the store had some velcro on the sleeve closure torn off, etc. I bought some MotoGP RPM gloves off newenough closeouts too, and the velcro on them isn't that great, the closure's aren't that great, and after basically a month the glove is already wearing pretty heavily around the velcro areas and such. I probably won't be buying any MotoGP gear in the future -- all that said I'd trust the jacket in a get off. If the gloves stay on my hands, I'd trust them too. But definitely sloppy.

Jolci fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2007

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

Haven't tried the scorpion helmets, but I know on my Shoei the little windblocker/chin guard reduces wind noise for me fairly significantly.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
Have to give a shout out to Lexol leather conditioner. Just greased up my jacket and boots the other day, and the leather is stupid soft and conditioned. My jacket actually fits better because the leather isn't overly stiff in areas around my wrists or the inside of my elbows any more. I heard it can darken leather, but I also used it on some white leather parts of my jacket and haven't been able to see any sort of difference.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

Uthor posted:

Joe Rocket stuff is decent middle of the road stuff. The only thing I don't like about their jackets is the stupid snaps that tighten the elbow armor. I broke mine off in under a year and the new ones are already cracking.

Dennis Kirk has some Alpinestars gloves for sale for $40-$50. They're the old versions of the SP-2 and SP-3 gloves, but in really limited quantities. The SP-2s seem to be XXL only, but there are a couple sizes of the SP-3 gloves left.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/c...&page=&limit=20

I have the SP-2s and really like 'em. I haven't tried the SP-3s. I'm also happy buying from Dennis Kirk and they have a pretty decent return policy ($6 flat rate for returns and that includes the shipping cost).

EDIT:
vvvvvvvv: Well, apparently the SP-3s suck. Still like my SP-2s.

I bought some SP-2's the other week from https://www.motosport.com for $50 and they arrived in just a few days, ground shipping. Very fast processing and they have a large selection :)

I've only worn them for a few hours today, but I love them so far. They fit very well for my medium-sized hands, and seem to have all the right padding in the right places. I wish there was a wrist strap, but they fit well enough that I'm not too worried. The velcro is very strong and will definitely last a while.

They're replacing my less than a year old MotoGP RPM gloves which loving SUCK. Do NOT buy these gloves! The stitching was terrible, the leather was thin, the trim started rubbing off in a few weeks, and the velcro stopped sticking will less than a few months into ownership. Every single day I've ridden the velcro straps have come undone (either the wrist, gauntlet, or both). Not exactly confidence inspiring, and it's not like I'm moving my hand in crazy rear end contorted ways. Twisting the throttle was liable to make a strap come undone. The velcro just sucked. The only good thing about the gloves is that they fit well -- but the gauntlet straps were unwieldy and I didn't like them much.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I have already worn several holes through the MotoGP gloves just from normal use. I shouldn't be able to wear through gloves by just working the brakes, clutch, and throttle in a few months.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

PlasticSun posted:

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides. The cord on the Sures is thicker which I think helps prevent getting wierd noise artifacts from the cord whipping around or rubbing under jacket. I switched to the ER-6s and the ear piece is smaller but you need to check them somewhat often as they do collect wax which can damage the speaker. After having ridden ~25K with the headphones I'm switching to the helmet speakers. All of the in ear headphones I've used give me a massive ear ache if I use them for all day rides. While both worked well I'm moving to the helmet speakers so I can still use ear plugs and be comfortable all day rather than have a hard speaker body in my ear.

Xanie really loves his EAR monitors with the custom molds, but they are quite expensive.

I have a pair of Shure e2c's and they've worked great for me, and I never had any problems with my helmet. My Shoei X-11 has a bit more room around the ears than most other helmets I've tried seem to have though, so that might be why. They're a pain when you take your helmet off, but if you've put them in right than it usually isn't too bad. I don't get a head ache from having them in, but sometimes because there's such a seal between them in your ear it's just uncomfortable -- like you want to equalize your ears or get the poo poo out of them for a second. I imagine that would happen with any close fitting earplugs though, and I don't use the foam inserts, I use the rubber ones which may make them feel weirder with ear wax and all.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

mhsneon posted:

I went to the BMW dealer today and ordered a pair of the Olympia Mesh overpants. I have looked at them a few times over the last couple months and had a friend who picked up a pair and really likes them, they seems to be good for weather down into the high 20's and hopefully without the liner will be decent into the 90's.
I also tried on the mesh jacket that Olympia makes, I was very impressed, it has lots of adjustments, you can crank the armor down on the elbows and bring the sides in. I am considering ordering one. The local police department is purchasing the same model and they seem to be happy with it as well. I was going to purchase a leather jacket, since I already have a textile Tourmaster jacket.
Anyone here have the pants or jacket, and how do you like them? Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Over Pant and the Airglide Jacket.

I've been riding with a pair of the olympia airglide 2 mech tech overpants for the past few weeks now, and love them. They are very warm still below 30 just because they block so much wind. They are also cut much better than the firstgear air 2.0's I had. Those pants were really baggy in places that didn't even help, were not tapered well, and they rode up too high when I was sitting on the bike with just my 32" inseam. They weren't built for a riding position. The airglides are much more slim fitting than the firstgears, and actually look more like riding pants rather than snowboard pants. They also have about a 33" inseam or so that fits me just perfectly when I'm on the bike. And if you're too short, the bottoms are made to hem very easily. The armor in the knees is also adjustable. Without the liners, the pants fold up pretty tightly, with the liners they are kinda bulky.

The only things I don't like is that with the bottom being easy hem, the zipper doesn't go all the way down. It stops about 4" from the bottom of the leg, and then there is just velcro holding the pants together. There isn't a belt or anything included. And most annoyingly, there's no way to get inside your pants without unbuttoning them and pulling them down. A lot of overpants have another zipper at the top so that you can zip it down and reach inside to get to a pocket or something on your jeans or whatever you're wearing underneath. These don't.

That aside, I love them. My firstgear air 2.0's are poo poo compared to these olympias. In fact, when I went down at about 30-35 mph, the side zipper on the firstgears exploded and busted open. If you're short and stubby though, the first gears might fit better, and the liner in those was less bulky than the olympias.

Jolci fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 12, 2008

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

blugu64 posted:

Ya that's what prompted my question; as it looks like a simple backpack with scraps around the front would work as well as any other. Then again, I'm not a backpack enthusiast.

I have a backpack from REI and the two biggest things that make a true noticeable difference are a waist strap, to keep the weight off my shoulders and on my hips, and a chest strap, to keep the straps from sliding around and to keep the whole backpack centered and in place.

If you're looking for a motorcycle backpack, you should look for something that has both straps.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
I was cleaning & conditioning my Dainese 'Hellracer' gloves that I bought less than a year ago and noticed I've just worn through my left glove's palm right along where the glove rests on the grip when my fingers are extended out and resting on the clutch lever.

The gloves are very secure, breathe well, and gave me good feel on the controls.. but I think they're just a hair too thin in the palms. These gloves do have an extra layer of leather in the palms, but mine wore through right above that layer. Not any significant weather, abuse, or miles on them. The gloves were just a tad large, but the next size down was too small and they fit fine when my hands were curled on the grips.

I don't see the gloves listed on the Dainese website anymore, but they're still selling at Cycle Gear (where I bought them), see: http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1815440-D52-L_G

For the money and considering my relatively light use (~5,000 miles), I'm not very impressed.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
Anyone have recommendations for some decent, relatively inexpensive bike covers? Cold weather is starting to come around, and I'm tired of having leaves and other poo poo blown all over my bike..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
Just received in a pair of Spidi Carbosix gloves today, and am definitely satisfied on the get go. Haven't ridden in them yet, but these bad boys are not coming off during a get off. I've had a difficult time finding gloves that actually fit properly, given my girly sized wrists. Most wrist straps are way too large/long and so there's usually only half the velcro or less on the strip that's actually secured. No problem whatsoever on these gloves, in fact I have plenty of room left over on these to crank the strap down.

They're a "european" fit, so think slender and very fitted. But hey, it's a loving glove and should be fitted.

As posted earlier, I had been wearing Dainese Hellracer's which I wore a gaping hole through the palm of in a year.

Both gloves fit very similarly, with the Spidi being a little more fitted and the Dainese with slightly longer fingers.

*edit* For reference, I also ordered and returned a pair of Helimot Buffalo Pro's. Well constructed gloves with no frills and the fewest amount of seams I've ever seen -- but the palm of the glove was short (so it felt like I couldn't pull the gloves "on" all the way). Also, the wrist strap is on the top of the glove and even when I was able to crank the strap all the way down, I was able to easily pull the gloves off my hands. Between the strap appearing too short, the short palm, and the elastic they used, they just didn't secure very well. The wrist strap on top of the glove was also somewhat annoying due to how much padding is on top of the glove, as it bunches up a fair bit (may ease over time with some leather wear).

Jolci fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 5, 2010