Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
What is everyone's opinion of knee armor worn under regular jeans? If I'm driving less than three miles to work, it just doesn't seem worth it to put on my leather trousers, drive 15 minutes, then take them off and change into my regular jeans. Should I just shut up and deal, or does the knee armor sound ok for short distances?

edit: something like these: http://tinyurl.com/356l5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I just got these awesome pants yesterday. I know they're mesh, but I live in Florida and poo poo gets sticky when it gets hot (I've got a perf leather jacket too, but am looking into mesh or textile as well). I'd just like to say that these things are insanely comfortable. I wore them for like two hours last night, sitting at my computer (very low to the ground, so I was a bit scrunched up). No problems with the waist, the knees or anything. I've got a bruised knee bone from where I lowsided (wearing jeans) a month or so ago, and the padded knee didn't even bother it. Highly recommended, hopefully they'll be this comfortable on the bike too.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 12, 2007

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

They're very comfortable, but keep in mind they do nothing in any sort of weather but hot weather. I've got these, but after riding in the rain with them once, I'm saving for something more substantial (and also a rain suit :3: )

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

ReducedFat posted:

New rider, here!

What say you all to:

Icon Accelerant Jacket
Shoei RF-1000 Helmet
Icon Accelerant Gloves

I've heard people say that the Icon stuff is a paper tiger, but all the jackets I've worn from them feel tough as nails (especially compared to the Joe Rocket stuff I was set on before). Anybody see any problems with this list?

Those gloves don't look so hot. I'd suggest something which covers your wrist more than that, and has less zipper, and more velcro. I'd look at A* if you want to spend 60 or 70 bucks on a glove.
Here's one that looks ok, but like everything else, I'd try it on first.

Regarding the lid, I've tried on the RF, and it doesn't fit my head at all. I've got an HJC head, and saved myself both the trouble of hotspots while riding, and a bit of cash too. Try them on first, so you don't waste your money on something which isn't going to fit.

Other people have already talked about the jacket, so I'm just going to suggest you check out the sites like newenough and all that; I'm sure you can find something better for cheaper.

edit: buy boots and trousers too :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Sedge posted:

Also, does anyone know what full faced helmets would be most accommodating to a pair of glasses? There are days when I don't feel like putting in contacts.

I wear my glasses everyday, and my lid fits fine. I take my glasses off, put the helmet on, flip up the visor, and affix glasses to face. It works everytime, and only rarely do I have to fix either after I get on the road.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Sedge posted:

What helmet are you rocking? I tried on a friends Scorpion ex-400, and it was pretty tight, but maybe it was just a small helmet for my head. Another larger helmet I tried (don't remember what model) seemed even worse. Sunglasses would fit fine in either one, because they're curved, but we're talking right angles with my prescribed glasses. Maybe I'll get prescription sunglasses.

I use an HJC CL-14 (because I have an HJC-shaped head :)). It's noisy, but very comfortable.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Looks good, but if LA is as hot as FL, you'll need full perf leather so you won't sweat to death at stops.

Ditto to the above, venting zippers really don't vent much if you're stopped.

I don't know how you can compare this jacket to the TX-1. It doesn't look similar, nor does it have all the same bells and whistles (the TX-1 doesn't have fat-rear end gusset zippers either).

There's nothing wrong with JR; I've got a JR perf leather Blaster (2.0? 4.0? I can't recall), and its fine. Many people wear JR, and are fine. If it were so horrible, people wouldn't wear it (I've heard of JR biceps snaps coming undone, but other than that, not many complaints). I've not had any issues with it at all, and it has served the exact purpose for which I bought it (for 120$, from newenough's ebay account). If you're just starting out, I wouldn't be worried about A* versus JR, as I think both will fulfill your needs. I'm saving up for A* gear, but for now I'm more than happy with JR.

edit: if money's no issue, find A* perf leather (if they even make it for women), then buy another one and send it to me ;)

edit2:

spacepirate posted:

Does anyone here use saddle bags with a sport bike? Im looking at these cortechs http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/saddlebags/cortech_by_tour_master/sport_motorcycle_saddlebags.html . Im curious how they mount to the bike, how much they actually hold and if they flap or make any other sort of disturbance while you ride.
Yes these are the bags I've been looking at too (on the suggestion of the matching tailbag by both Ravyn and Silver [at least I think it was Silver]), so I am equally interested in hearing people's experiences.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 2, 2007

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
OK, so is there a company that makes women's track pants, or do I have to buy pants with a men's cut? I'm just looking now, not really going to buy for a while, but I'm just curious as I haven't seen any. Would I have to take a pair of women's leather pants and attach the velcro myself? Is that even possible?

edit: I'm against getting men's stuff, as I'm pretty curvy in the hip area, and so either the waist or the hips never fit when I wear guy stuff (jeans, bike jackets etc).

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Trintintin posted:

I think AlpineStar makes a lot of womans gear.

Yes many companies make women's gear, I'm asking specifically about women's track pants.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Juneau posted:

I'm in the market for street pants, but in the process of looking, I have seen women's track pants. For example, Alpinestars has these. Dainese makes some too.

I'd bet most of the major companies do. I'm not sure about length tho :(

Thank you this is exactly what I was hoping for. BTW, track pants are measured to the top or middle of the ankle, so as not to mess with your boots (at least most track pants I've seen are). I don't know what you mean by length, so I'm just assuming you saw some inseam measurements. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I must disagree with you on a few points here...

Z3n posted:

Lee Parks talks about this in total control...now that i think about it, that's the only place that springs to mind where it was mentioned.
Anecdotal evidence in this case is moot, scientific evidence is strongly preferred. If your glasses are moving around that much, you should get them checked out. Mine fit fine and rarely if ever move when I'm riding.

quote:

Not wearing glasses is the ideal for many reasons, as when you're talking about riding a motorcycle, your vision is very, very important. Anything that can obscure or block your vision should be done away with as quickly as possible. If you don't have an alternative to wearing glasses, there are a couple of companies out there that do use shatter proof, motorcycle specific glasses, with soft linings around the frames in case of an accident and to help them stay in place, and can order them with your corrective lenses built in.[quote] While I agree that vision is vital, to buy glasses specifically for motorcycling seems a bit much, and more likely than not out of the budget of many new drivers. If your glasses don't fit, get a new pair that does, they shouldn't be sliding around on your face as it is!

[quote]Furthermore, a well fitted helmet should cause difficulty when it comes to getting glasses into them, if they have anything but very narrow or small arms. When it comes down to it, there is a significant potential for severe damage to the head and face when you've got a piece of metal and plastic shoved into your helmet, which will move around when you get into an accident, and could shove the arms or frames of the glasses into your face. Apparently shattering is less of a concern, as the glasses in my friend's accident didn't shatter, but did gouge the hell out of his face.
All the lids I've tried on have no problems getting my glasses inside too. I've fitted HJC's, Shoei's etc, and they all fit my glasses (and my head). I would think contacts to be just as dangerous as glasses, especially if you have your vents open! If one wrong puff of air gets into your eyes, there's a chance that your lenses could 1. roll behind your eyelids, rendering you blind, or 2. get a bit of sand or dust etc between your lens and your eye, also rendering you blind. In either case (contacts or glasses), there is a risk, but if anything happens to your lenses, you have to pull over to fix it, glasses or otherwise. I have no comments on sunglasses though, because I can't wear them (and also I have a tinted visor which works wonders, and is cheaper than Rx sunglasses).

quote:

On the concerns of visors...
I totally agree with all this stuff. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Maybe its just the weather here, but I've never had problems with my glasses fogging. My visor has fogged before, but never my lenses. Meh. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Here's a chart from ixion.org.uk:

This is how quickly some materials take to hole:
code:
Material	                         Seconds
Denim                                    0.2 to 0.5
Some race gloves	                 0.6
Most leather gloves	                 1.0 to 1.8
Keprotec stretch material	         0.9
Poor Kevlar	                         1.0
Two layers of waxed cotton	         1.3
1.3mm thick cow hide	                 3.8
Two layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide	 18
Three layers of 1.3mm thick cowhide	 55
Two layers of Kevlar plain weave	 5.6
Suede	                                 18
Boot leather (generally 2.2mm thick)     20
Leather stretch panels	                 20.4
If that helps better understand Moto's charts

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I have the SP-3s and let me tell you something about them: they suck. They suck for any distance longer than a hour, they suck in the rain, they suck in the cold. They're only really good for short rides in temerate weather. There's no padding in the palm, only passable knucle protection, and the next time I buy a pair of gloves they definitely WON'T be SP-3s. I'll spring for something with a bit more protection, and a lot more comfort. I would not recommend these gloves at all.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Nerobro posted:

I just started using my new helmet. An ICON Mainframe Halo.

May I humbly ask: why did you choose this helmet? Was there something about it specifically you liked, or have you used Icon helmets before? I'm just curious. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I used to see guys riding their AWESOME GIXXERS AND BUSAS around USF Tampa wearing exactly the same thing, except their flip flops were Corona branded. :/

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Well what I would do if I HAD to, would be to use the rubber part in the middle (what separates the big toe from the others), and have that rubber make contact with the shifter, and push up via that part with the big toe. I imagine it would hurt just the same though. :/

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

It's really uncomfortable, looks retarded, and prevents my heated jacket from working as well as it could (which is also important). So, getting these things fixed would be that "more".

Maybe you've got it on backwards/wrong size. I don't think Dainese gear looks retarded or uncomfortable at all.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
So I see heel, ankle, and upper shin support, is that all its got? What about inside ankle, or lower shin? It's a big boot, so I would hope more of the leg would be protected. And is there any room up top for people with big calves? How adjustable is it?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Terminus Est posted:

The main reason, besides the fact I like high boots, that I bought the Sabers is because I have large calfs. I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs off of Mapless a while back (thanks by the way, gave them to my brother as he's starting to ride) and while they 'fit' the zippers pissed me off and the calf wouldn't adjust big enough to fit in them. The Sabers have very adjustable buckles and no foo-foo zippers. Each buckle can be tailored to fit that area and they just plain fit and work great. I recommend trying some on and seeing how you like them.

That's great news. I have big calves too, so I am relieved, and will try some on asap. :)

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Ripoff posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what a "tapered leg" means in jeans. However if it hasn't been acceptable since the 80's I probably own a pair. :haw:

Straight cut - jeans are cut straight to fit the knee and ankle, same snugness at knee as at ankle
Boot cut - jeans are slightly flared to allow for a boot to go under them.
Flare cut - jeans are flared more to allow hippies something to swish about in.
Tapered cut - jeans are narrower at the ankle than they are at the knee. Gross.

Hammer pants are a hyperbole of tapered cut trousers, if that helps any.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 20, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Good lord for that price you could find something and TAYLOR it to fit better. Newenough has a pretty good selection of things for chicks, I got the red Roxie leather jacket for a steal at like $75 + shipping. It fits pretty well, as evidenced in a few of the pictures in the Relay thread. You'll have to scroll a bit, BUT you can see that although it gaps at the boob, it doesn't really look bad. And you also have to understand that as long as you're safe, it doesn't really matter WHAT you look like.

teknicolor fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 12, 2008

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

MrKatharsis posted:

That sandal is such bullshit. I ride with a $10 pair of target sandals and they work just fine.

Yes but neither will prevent rash on some parts of your feet/shins. I'll stick with boots, thanks

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

cheese eats mouse posted:

Went to a Cycle Gear store and tried on some helmets and jackets. I have a helmet on hold, but I still will try on more when I go back Saturday because I got there an hour before close and didn't want to hold them up. I really liked this Alpinestar jacket and it fit really well, so I'll be picking it up this weekend. They are having 10% off all gear and 20% off of helmets. The guy was nice enough to put it on a long hold. Really good store and helpful staff.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=74&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=ASR_331-104-12-XS_G&tier2=24

Wait are you a woman? And that jacket fit? It looks like it was tailored for a man, then called a woman's jacket. There are others out there with a MUCH better tailor, if that one felt bunchy at the waist. Have you tried sitting on a bike while wearing it?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

DearMrBrett posted:

Question for those who have ordered from New Enough, and also so I can post about the gear I just ordered. The status of the order is "Merchandise Ordered from Vendor", and the next part says "Expected: 06/13/2008".

Now, does that mean they expect to have it shipped by the 13th, or does it mean I should expect to be receiving it on, or shortly after, the 13th? I'd just ask them but I've bugged them a bunch already, including one canceled order and one modified.

It probably means they won't get the gear til the 13th, at which point they'll send it to you. But either way they'll send you the tracking number for you to check, so if I'm wrong you'll be pleasantly surprised!

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Penguin Radar posted:

That pic makes them look very tame, the red is loving bright firetruck red. I bought them online, and they looked a little more discrete in the pics, not quite as loving clown like.

So you bought red camo trousers and DIDN'T expect them to be clown like? :confused:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Zenaida posted:

Some guy on SVRider is starting a business geared at making "inexpensive, not cheap" custom leathers. Link to SVRider thread. His website is a mess right now. Not sure where he's at right now, but it might be worth looking into if you're willing to wait a while.

poo poo $425 for a one piece. I'll wait and see the quality of the stuff, but I don't think I could pass that up!

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Do they make good reinforced jeans for girls?

edit// well, really, I'm just trying to find any sort of female riding pants. I have no idea what is good and what is not when it comes to women's apparel

These aren't jeans though :v:

p.s. these are for real on my list of poo poo to get

e: newenough.com has a pretty good ladies' section. I shop there for most of my stuff.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Haha I'm not sure she needs Dainese track pants quite yet

What conditions will she be riding in? Commuting? Rain? Hot weather?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

iroc_dis posted:

Riding on the back of my bike for short trips of < 4 hours and in mainly hot weather.

Ok here's a small list, organized by type:

Mesh:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/ladies_venture_air_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective..._overpants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_mesh_tex_2_mesh_motorcycle_pants.html (I have these, they fit pretty well, I have big hips and a small waist)

Textile:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ladies_ballistic_7_motorcycle_pants.html
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_ht_2_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

Leather:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ladies_sport_tour_leather_motorcycle_overpants.html

What I'm trying to say is that there are lots of ladies things available. Newenough has a great return policy too, so if they don't fit she can get something that does.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Mesh is fine, just remember that it's a one shot garment. And make sure you have the CE armor in it. Splurge for the extra knee padding if the pants didn't come with it.

I would rather wear a full jacket with an improved back protector than a vest ANY day. The vest will just be cumbersome, and could potentially become a reason NOT to wear the regular jacket (too many layers, more protection than a jacket etc etc). And for the record, there are better labels you could buy. Icon won't disintegrate or anything, but it isn't known for superior quality either.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

FunkyJunk posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. But the guy says he bought it for $20 - there's no way in hell a $20 helmet is getting Snell certification.

Maybe it was on sale? Deep discount to move the stock along?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Coredump posted:

Can I get another recommendation on this? The Oxtar Explorers are no longer made. I've found some TCX Explorer's but most of them seem to be at co.uk web addresses and I'm in the states.

dunno but there are quite a few TCX boots on newnough.com's site

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Yeah I can wear men's boots. I also have big calves though so I have to me mindful of that and try them on in the shop. Different brands have way different sizing sometimes, so be aware that a 7 in Thor might be a little tighter than a 7 in TCX or something. If you buy from newenough they have a great return policy though, so that might work too. They also have a great internet team so if you want to ask them before you buy you definitely can. Some brands run narrow, like Sidi, so if you have small feet you may want to look there.

I would suggest emailing them first because I'm not sure what the policy is on returning closeouts.

e: tell me how they fit because mens 5.5 is what I wear too <3

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Like I said before, Sidi brand bike boots are known for their narrow foot space. You might want to check them out. :)

p.s. ^5 girl riders

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

cheese eats mouse posted:

Wasn't sure if they made the calf area larger since a lot of men have well lager legs. :) New Enough is the only place where you can return closeouts and I love them for that.

No they don't make the calf larger on all men's boots.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Armacham posted:

so where do I find some boots that actually look like normal shoes? Its seems like they come in two styles: flashy stupid looking crotch rocket boots, or greaser wafflestompers.

boots that look like shoes? or like boots?

http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/field_armor_chukka_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/icon/super_duty_3_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/scorpion_air_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/orbit_motorcycle_boots.html
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/big_bang_motorcycle_boots.html

All of these at least resemble either boots or shoes.

also I don't know what wafflestompers are: do you mean shitkickers? You can't really have boot without shitkicking :o:

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
np I should be like an honorary sales staff with all the newenough pimping I do :P

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

huplescat posted:

I bought men's boots initially, but after wearing them around the house and sitting on the bike realised they weren't going to cut it. I have fairly narrow feet and they felt like gumboots, not to mention they were stiff as hell so I would have struggled to operate the brake and gear pedal.

Now the owner of a pair of women's Dainese boots and am extremely happy with them, I'm wearing them now in fact cos they're keeping my feet warm :)

It really comes down to the shape of your feet. I did find that the women's ones are a bit softer and have more flex in them too which has made the world of difference to me, but you can get men's ones with the same movement if you spend a bit more cash.

What brand of boots did you try? Are you sure they weren't MX boots ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

huplescat posted:

The guys ones I think were "sports" boots, whatever that means :) Guy at the shop said they'd still do the trick if I wanted to pay the extra money for them. The pair I ended up with are just normal women's road bike boots though

Yeah sport/track boots are going to be a bit stiffer than regular road/touring boots. Just the nature of the beast.