Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honclfibr
Oct 19, 2004
I am the frito bandito
Regarding teknic...all of the large manufacturers have a number of suits that satisfy various price points, but I would recommend staying far away from the teknic chicane suit, unless they've changed it significantly (mine was a 2004 model iirc). I was involved in a minor lowside at VIR (~35mph) where I sustained no injuries, however my chicane suit did not fair so well.

The problem is that the chicane (as well as many low end suits) was comprised of a large number of leather "panels" sewed together. These panels were sewed together with poor quality thread (good suits used kevlar thread, the chicane threading was definitely not kevlar) and the threading simply exploded on impact, leaving me with leather panels that were barely rashed but completely worthless unless I wanted to have the thing restitched. Given the speed of my lowside, I decided I would not trust this suit in a crash again, and replaced it on the spot.

Actually, this is an important thing to look for in a suit. Especially on the low end where the stitching does not tend to be good (a high quality suit will be double or triple stitched with kevlar threading in all impact areas) the key is to minimize the number of leather panels that the suit is comprised of. For low $$$ suits this means avoiding flashy multicolor suits as very often each color will be a different panel as was the case with the chicane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU