Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

My leather gear is Dainese and my textile/wet weather stuff is Frank Thomas.

http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/

Frank Thomas gear is only available through Cycle Gear in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Jolci posted:

I have a MotoGP Corkscrew Jacket that has perf'd leather on parts of the chest and inner arms.

Newenough is selling the MotoGP Corkscrew jacket for $139.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I only use Plexus on my visor.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

ClockworkZero posted:

I got a great deal on my Dainese leather jacket a couple of years ago and something that zips to it would be nice.

Only Dainese pants will zip to Dainese jackets since they use a proprietary zipper. To mix brands you would have to have the zipper on the jacket changed out.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

pr0zac posted:

How compatible are connective zippers between brands? If I get that MotoGP jacket am I then required to get a pair of MotoGP pants to go with it? I'm assuming so, just thought to check though.

I think Dainese is the only manufacturer to use their own zipper. I believe some other posters here have successfully attached different brands of clothing.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash?

YES! My new X-11 has something similar and it keeps my contact lenses from drying out. I thought I would only use it for colder weather but I leave it on all the time now.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

w_hat posted:

Quick question, I can't get my jacket to zip up at the writs with my gloves on as they're too bulky. Is this going to be a big problem when I crash? The gloves are properly long and fully cover my wrists.

Long gauntlet type gloves are meant to be worn over the sleeve.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ I have a few different types of sport long gauntlet gloves and they all fit differently some are very tight and some are very loose. Oddly enough, my old Dainese gloves barely fit over my Dainese jacket sleeves.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Motorcycle Closeouts has the Shift supermoto one piece for $299. If you require sliders, there is a link whithin the above link for velcro patches.

*ETA* Here is the 2 piece version direct from Shift for the same $299 price.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

HAY GUYZ! Check out my new leather biker overalls!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Kruzen posted:

Anyone have some comments on the Aerostich Roadcraft 1 pc?

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Roadcrafter-One-Piece-Suit-p-16133.html

From the reviews and other reccomendations from people it sounds like it even beats leathers for daily riding and safety.

Check out the Olympia one-piece too.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

DILLIGAF, you need a carbon fiber helmet.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone own an Olympia Phantom suit?

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm

Motor Cyclist reviewed them this month and they seemed to like it. It's definitely cheaper than a Roadcrafter from Aerostitch.

Does anyone else sell them online? The BMW dealer not too far from where I work carries their stuff according to the website.

Motoliberty

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I've never been a huge fan of mesh jackets and when I had the Speed Triple, my perforated Dainese jacket was quite good at keeping me cool. Now that I have the Sprint ST I'm not getting much air to my chest. I went over to Moto Liberty and picked up a Fieldsheer High Temp mesh jacket. It's a really nice jacket for the price ($168). I also tried on the Olympia Air Glide jacket but it had way too much room in the chest area and it was $50 more expensive.

I wear a 52 euro in the Dainese jacket and the medium Fieldsheer fits perfectly. It's a bit snug with the insulated liner but I bought this jacket only to serve as summer commuting gear. It has CE approved armor in the elbows and shoulders and it has a pretty decent back protector which most brands don't include.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Dainese/Ducati er... Ductai leather auction

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ If I were to buy a tail bag it would be the Bags-Connection Cargobag.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Uthor posted:

BassPro boat bag stuff

That is so loving bizarre! I went to Bass Pro yesterday looking for a first aid kit to carry on the bike. I saw the same bag on sale for $14.99 and I thought that it would be a great tail bag. I also picked up a pair of $4.99 dock straps to use as tie-downs.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I think you'll still be too cold even with a non-perfed leather glove. I have a pair of perfed and non-perfed "summer" gloves and I can't tell a difference between the two comfort wise. I bought a pair of A* Drystar gloves but returned them because even in the high 40's to low 50's my hands would go numb. I even had a pair of Tourmaster Carbon Cold Fronts (thickly insulated) and my hands would still become painfully cold. Also, they were so thick that I would lose circulation in some of my fingers.

If you don't like thick gloves get a pair of something that is waterproof or windproof, with little insulation on the palm and use grip heaters. This is a good glove to use with grip heaters.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

ChiliMac posted:

Does anyone know if any brands of [leather] pants fit the zipper on a Dainese jacket (in addition to Dainese)?

Dainese has a proprietary zipper.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

greg_graffin posted:

The bottom part of the zipper on my Dainese Zen leather jacket more or less tore off after just over a year of use and the warranty on it is up. Should I bite the bullet and pay Dainese to fix it, or find a local shop that does clothing work and see if they can put a new zipper on? I don't even know what or who to look for in the yellow pages to find someone that could do the work locally in a competent fashion.

Search for a local leather repair shop. If they repair moto gear they should be able to sew in a new zipper.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Looks like the JR suit is already sold out.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I think I've found my new "long trip" riding gear. I went Eurosport and checked out the new Triumph clothing line. I really like the Sympatex Pantha Jacket ($315) and the Sympatex Pants ($282). Right now I have some Frank Thomas stuff that is great but the jacket is 3/4 length but it worked better on the Speed Triple than on the Sprint ST due to position. Soon I will be a total Triumph gear queer. :gay: The jacket also has a wallet pocket just inside the storm flap which Tony, the shop owner, told me will accommodate a medium sized pistol perfectly. :woop: Texas concealed carry laws!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ That's a nice looking helmet and I really like the ratcheting chin strap. I'd kill for a Roof Boxer though.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I bet this guy is thinking about wearing a modular in the future.

This was found in PYF

bung
Dec 14, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

The Sure e2cs I had were nice but I perfer close fitting helmets and the larger earpiece made it painful to take my helmet on and off after multi-hour rides.

Xanie really loves his EAR monitors with the custom molds, but they are quite expensive.

I'll second what PlasticSun said about the E2Cs. I also have a set of EAR Inc custom molded monitors but the right side driver has stopped working. The EARs are very comfortable but pricey.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ I prefer a taller boot with shin protection.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I am also looking at getting the ER6i headphones because my X11 doesn't get along with my E2cs. Would someone who owns the ER6is be so kind as to post s picture of them next to a quarter or something so I can get an idea of size? There are no local Etymotic dealers in my area.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ Thank you kind sir!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

William Shatner thinks proper riding gear is for faggots!

William Shatner posted:

William Shatner discovered the perils of riding a motorcycle without any protective gear, when he crashed on a highway in California.

The reckless former Star Trek star refuses to pad up and rides around the state wearing just beach clothes - even after a crash that could have killed him.

He explains, "I think leather, and helmets and protective gear is foolish, in the hot California weather. I ride with sandals and shorts and a
t-shirt.

"One time, I was driving along and the bike slide from under me, and I skidded across the two lane highway.

"I grabbed the bike hauled it up and got back on. I had to get to Los Angeles. I had a doll to take to my grandchild."

"I got back on the bike and my clothes are shredded. I realized I'm bleeding."

Unfortunately for Shatner, the image of him bloody and bruised riding a motorcycle almost naked, attracted unwanted attention from other motorists.

He adds, "People are driving up and college kids are yelling at me.

"Finally they uttered the ultimate insult, 'Beam me up Scotty,' so I gave them the finger."

bung
Dec 14, 2004

If I bought a flip-face helmet I would buy the Roof Boxer but I don't know of any place in the States that sells them.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

pr0zac posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a backpack to wear while riding? I'm currently using my 10 year old Jansport and its really probably getting to be time to upgrade. Top of my list right now are:

I bought a Columbia sling-type bag. If I have to get something out of the bag while on the bike I don't have to take one of the shoulder straps off. I just slide the bag around to the front to gain access.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

... broke the small pull tab...

My Dainese jacket did the same thing. I ran a small keyring through the zipper so I could keep using it.

Coredump posted:

Is fieldsheer good stuff? I've seen they actually have a leather jacket in my size. How did it hold up for you wrightme?

I've never used their leather stuff but I always buy Fieldsheer mesh jackets. One thing I do like about their mesh is that they put pretty decent armor in.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

If anyone is looking for a helmet for themselves or a backup, Newenough is closing out the HJC CL-15 Orbit helmet for $69. I have no experience with this model. Just giving a heads up.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Atomic Hotdog posted:

I'm trying to find a good jacket for just commuting around my little city.
Trying to go textile to battle the Texas summer heat. Can someone give me their opinions on these?

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=10&cat=25
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=240&cat=3
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=265&cat=25
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=266&cat=25

Feel free to recommend me anything else.

If you are near Dallas or San Antonio I suggest that you head over to Motoliberty and check out what they've got. I bought the Fieldsheer High Temp Mesh Jacket at the Dallas store and it is great for TX summers. It's also fairly warm in the cooler months with the included liner.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Veritas posted:

... and since teknic is no longer around...

Teknic is out of business?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Are there any helmets similar to Schuberth in that they have an inside retractable sun-visor? For example this one here: http://www.schuberth.de/index.php?id=120&L=0

The Scorpion EXO-1000 also has that feature

bung
Dec 14, 2004

greg_graffin posted:

I just had to pay $56 to get the zipper on my Dainese Zen jacket replaced. Stupid Italian craftsmanship.

The zipper pull broke on mine and that's when I discovered that they use a proprietary zipper. I just found a small keyring to use as my new zipper pull.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

greg_graffin posted:

I wish mine could have been fixed that easily. The bottom stop tore completely off the jacket and so there was no way to get the two parts of the zipper to join together.

DId you have it fixed by Dainese or did you have someone local replace the zipper?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

French Canadian posted:

And they also have an overall chart that might help

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

I wouldn't put too much faith in their helmet shape chart. I used to wear an Arai Quantum which they list as round. I now wear a Shoei X-11 which they list as oval. As far as I can tell the two fit exactly the same. They also have the Scorpion EXO 700 listed as round which I could not wear due to excessive pressure on my forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

iroc_dis posted:

Is a Shoei X11 that much better than an RF1000? It looks like I can get a light silver X11 for about $411 + tax or a light silver RF1k for about $278 + tax. I know the X11 is supposedly a little lighter weight and has better ventilation but is that stuff even all that noticeable?

I haven't tried the RF1000 but I do have the X11. I really like it and it ventilates very well but the downside of the awesome ventilation is that it is pretty loud. $411 is a great price for an X11.