Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I've been looking for a silver/black perf leather jacket online for a couple weeks now with little success--I've found several, but I've only really liked the style of one or two (yes, style okay). <$400 preferably.

I really like the look of the AGV Sport Pilot but I can't find anyone that sells the silver version: Motorcycle Superstore sells blue, black and red. Hell, the drat silver one is the default view on their website!

Anything negative to be heard of AGV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

Picked up a Dainese Zen jacket in silver recently:

--haven't been able to go riding with it yet due to a broken gear shift lever.

Of course now I need something to zip it to.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

greg_graffin posted:

Did yours come with the inner liner?

Do you mean the quilted bit? Yes, but I sized it without so I'm not sure if I can even get the jacket on with it in there.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

I was trying to search this thread but it was taking forever so I'll just ask:
Does anyone know if any brands of [leather] pants fit the zipper on a Dainese jacket (in addition to Dainese)? I think the jacket has both a 3/4 and 8" zipper (not at home to look); I'd like to avoid going the tailor if possible.

For reference, these would be pants for street riding but I would prefer the option of using the 3/4 zipper if I do ever go to a track day.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

To both above:

Well if that's the case do you know of a zipper that is more standardized that I could get stitched onto my Dainese jacket to increase the compatibility with other brands? Perhaps if AGV/Alpinestars/Tourmaster use the same zipper?

Thanks, BTW.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

So I have some Tour Master leather pants in the mail and I'm going to want to zip them to my Dainese jacket somehow (I alluded to this before when I hadn't yet bought pants). Now my options are to get the TM zipper put on the jacket (It comes with the other half) or get a new zipper altogether.

I have e-mailed a local leathers shop (SYED) and they said if I went to them they would be replacing both halves with one of their zippers--I'm not sure if this is really the way I want to go since at the very least using the TM zipper nets me some compatibility with other stuff out there. Problem then is if I get another jacket I won't have another zipper to sew in.

I'm starting to think I should just go to a normal tailor/seamstress and get the TM zipper put on the jacket. I've never had to do this before, what seems the most logical? :o:

Do you guys with poo poo loads of gear just not have compatibility outside individual brands?

bung posted:

Search for a local leather repair shop. If they repair moto gear they should be able to sew in a new zipper.

Can they match specific zippers? Else it sounds like you might have to sew a new zipper into the pants as well.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

I was looking at putting a pad/armor in the back of my jacket (has a pocket)--do I need to match brands to the jacket or is there a better way? What about some sort of trim-to-fit foam? I don't want to "cheap out" on protection but at the same time I have an inkling that as long as we are talking about impact foam there needn't be a price premium on cutting it into a fancy shape.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

Also, I'm rather dissatisfied with my Dainese jacket in terms of quality. ... (though it survives crashes very well).

What more do you want? :psyduck:

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

I've liked my Scorpion Exo-400s in a price/feature aspect so far, but I don't have a lot to compare to. It's certainly a little heavier (I haven't noticed though) and fits differently than a Shoei but you still get a removable liner and a nice visor (fog/scratch resistant) for about 100 dollars.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

I have these and having only worn them once and I would say they could be comfortable enough to wear IF you get some sort of insole replacement--the bottoms are flat and hard but were pretty comfortable otherwise.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Its offically spring time so I here by dub this the power ranger suit show off thread. :colbert:

Nice shoes, but I've never heard of Bohz helmets :o:

Edit: interesting array of bargain [good] equipment with a pricey(ish) helmet. Oddly enough I've spent about a 8/1 ratio on my other gear/helmet.

ChiliMac fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 12, 2008

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

teknicolor posted:

Yeah there's abrasion resistance for the jeans vs. the road, but there isn't much in terms of jeans vs. skin. Jean rash loving hurts, and there's no impact resistance either.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/10492/ITEM/Alpinestars-Maxx-Denim-Pants.aspx

These both have a liner between the jeans & you and some padding for the knees (not armor, but something).

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

teknicolor posted:

lol for $120 or a little more you could get any one of these

...yes but I couldn't walk into work wearing any of them v:shobon:v

Z3n posted:

I dragged a knee for the first time in kevlar reinforced jeans.
:psyduck:

Z3n posted:

They will be better than jeans on their own...Beyond that, I'd recommend textile overpants or better yet, leather.

That's entirely the point--it's "better" even if not "good". When I lowsided at like 5-10 mph (new tires :argh: ) it tore a hole through normal khakis--at least denim would probably survive that fuckup. It's a pretty full backpack if you have to go everywhere with an extra pair of clothes.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

100 Years in Iraq posted:

that are textile/mesh with armor

How does the armor work? straps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

100 Years in Iraq posted:

so there's very little sliding around.

Z3n posted:

The armor stays in place because correctly fitted and cut pants

Really? This seems odd to me--I thought you have to have a pretty snug fit to keep the armor in place (same reason not to wear too large a jacket); overpants seem like they would be intentionally loose otherwise how do you get them on?