Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
What leather jacket would ya'll recommend for an old Shadow? Something perforated, preferably, since it regularly tops 100degrees in August. And it's Houston, so it's way humid. Have any of you had hot weather time with a perf leather jacket and want to share the experience? Or something that's vented, like FirstGear's Honcho...doesn't seem like it would be enough in high heat, but I like the design. And most of my riding is downtown stop and go traffic.

Most of the perf ones I like are designed with CBR's and other sport bikes in mind, but might end up getting one like that anyway. Also, it should have pockets for armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm looking for a full-face helmet and really like the design of the ones with a flip-up chin...Like this Shoei one.

Do ya'll like the flip-up ones vs. a solid helmet? And would you recommend that Shoei one?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Blaise posted:

What are you guys wearing for hot-weather gear?

I got this FirstGear jacket from NewEnough a few weeks ago. It was really humid today and up in the 80's, but the jacket breathed well enough at less than 35mph around town.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I tried on a jacket and gloves at the Honda place and really like them both. The jacket is really nice, although a bit expensive, but it's the best perforated leather jacket I've found. And I like the big HONDA logo on it...just not the cartoon rockets.

HRC Jacket

Blaster 2.0 Pants

HRC Gloves

The jacket has all the armor I need as do the gloves. The pants seem more than adequate for perforated leather. Anyone have stories about JoeRocket gear?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jazzzzz posted:

Mapless posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into KomodoGear, but don't like most of the stuff from AlpineStars that I've seen so far.

edit

Komodogear has some nice jackets on their site, where would you suggest buying from online? I'll buy from a local place if they have what I want, just need an idea of pricing to expect.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 29, 2007

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ChiliMac posted:

I really like the look of the AGV Sport Pilot but I can't find anyone that sells the silver version: Motorcycle Superstore sells blue, black and red. Hell, the drat silver one is the default view on their website!

That's a nice perf leather jacket, but only goes down to 40.

Anyone know of good jackets for someone with a 36" chest? All the ones I like end at 40 on the low-end. Perforated leather preferred since it's like 100+ in the summer here.

edit

I like JoeRocket's Twist (only one they sell in my size and I'd wear), but it's not perforated. Do any of you have experience with the vented leather jackets like JoeRocket's Twist, or FirstGear's Honcho? The Honcho looks like it'd vent better, but I don't know if either would suffice when it hits 100 with high humidity.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 29, 2007

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

aventari posted:

bought a new helmet today to replace my ill-fitting 10 year old HJC CL-10.

Scorpion EXO700 Rivet

I fit into Shoei's TZ-R pretty well, would you say that the shape is similar? They don't sell these at the shop I was at, so haven't tried one on yet. And from NewEnough's description, they seem like a hell of a deal.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sybok posted:

I just bought the EXO-700 rivet(red) this weekend as well and i paid $200 for the helmet as well as $10 for the windblocker for the bottom and a dark smoke visor replacement. You got it at the right price.

Do you think that the windblocker is worth the cash? I was looking at it on NewEnough and couldn't tell if it would be effective.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

iamthexander posted:

I'm also looking for a backpack to carry my crap while I'm riding. The only requirements I have are that it has some sort of padded laptop area, and possibly helmet storage. Newenough rants and raves about the Icon Squad Backpack, but the Firstgear Helmet Backpack also seems to be a decent backpack as well. Anyone have either one?

I bought the Camelbak Talon for Iraq and have been using it on my bike since I got back. It's got a hard plastic piece against your back for support and a chest strap that keeps it from flying up. Also a 100oz water bladder for those long rides. Lots of space in it, might be too much space for some, but perfect for college books. It's pricey, but I'd say the build-quality is high enough to justify the cost.

It's a greyish-green color.

The link might not work, it's a flash site and hard to find direct links. It's in the MILITARY section under hydration systems. First one on the top left.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Konrad posted:

They came in today and I tried them on. I find them to be pretty tight from halfway below my thigh on down, kind of loose in the butt, and nice and comfy around my hips and waist. They're not so tight that they're uncomfortable, just tight enough that fitting on a pair of jeans beneath them would be next to impossible.

I didn't think the Blaster 2.0s were supposed to be worn over pants.

RealDealNamowicz posted:

I went down and tried on helmets, and like the Scorpion Exo700, but the fit felt the same as my HJC, and I've heard they are loud. The HJC CS-SP looked like a really nice helmet, but I'm afraid it will have the same problem. Any suggestions?

There are some good reviews on this site.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

pr0zac posted:

How well does Underarmor and other stuff like that work at keeping you cool in the summer? I just got that partially perforated MotoGP Corkscrew jacket, and while I know it'll work well up to about 85 degrees, when June and July hit (and I start doing track days!) I'm going to need a bit more help to keep from baking I think.

We had the shirts in Iraq and they're great as long as you can get a breeze. So they would work well with a perf jacket. I'll be trying mine this summer when the heat hits to be sure, but I can tell you that they work well in 140 degree F heat.

Also, I'll echo that you definitely do not need to buy the UA stuff to have good clothes. It's way over-priced and the other brands are the same thing. In fact, some of the off-brands held up better than the UA ones.

edit

And it works by bringing the moisture from your skin to the outside of the shirt and then it functions like a radiator when the wind hits it. They're kind of pointless when there is no breeze, but that's not a problem for someone on a bike, eh?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Bob Morales posted:

boots

Those look really nice and very expensive. How warm are they? I need something that'll not make my feet sweat unbearably in the summer heat.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Just bought an EXO-700 from NewEnough, can't wait to have a full-face helmet.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I really like those pants, I definitely need perforated, and will be picking them up soon.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Anyone had experience with this Joe Rocket jacket? It's the best looking mesh/leather one I can find and has some cool things like a shield pocket and hole for headphones. Most of the other jackets I like (got to be perforated) don't fit me. (36" chest / 30" waist / 72" tall)

Reactor 2.0

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

I have the Pheonix 4.0 jacket. It doesn't have any leather, but it seems to have similar features. My biggest complaint is the forearm adjustment snaps coming undone really easily. The Reactor's Velcro adjustments seem to take care of that.

Speaking of mine only, I find it pretty comfortable and cool no matter how hot it gets. I didn't like it if the temps dropped much below 70 degrees. The waterproof liner works pretty well, though I've had water seep in under my collar. It also cuts out the wind as the temperature drops.

Thanks for the input, that helps. My FirstGear mesh jacket's liner is more of a pain because it doesn't cover the zipper and a bunch of air gets in there and negates any blockage the rest of it has. The JoeRocket jackets seem a bit more well-designed.

I really want a full-leather jacket, but haven't found one that fits correctly and is perforated. It's entirely too hot in Houston for eight months out of the year. Besides, I can accept spending less than $200 on a jacket that fits 'pretty well', but when it comes to almost $400 for a leather setup that I'm going to have for many years, it's going to need to fit perfectly.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

I was going to order some perforated Joe Rocket Blaster pants today.

I want to get those same pants. What temperature will you be riding in with them? They look like my best option for perf leather, but it's mighty hot down here.

Don't they come with CE knee armor already? And as much as I want that back protector, $81 is rather expensive. I need to find a shop that has one that I can look at.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Terminus Est posted:

I also found that the exo700 didn't fit me, so who knows. Its a good compromise between round and oblong. Just right for me.
Where did you have problems? I just got a EXO-700 the other day and it fits fine other than a good amount of pressure on my cheek bones. NewEnough suggested I wear it for a few more days to see if they reshape. It fits fine otherwise, so I'm hoping it'll adapt to my enormous cheeks.

pr0zac posted:

I've spent something greater than $2000 on gear so far (more than my freakin' bike!), and if theres one thing I've learned its just buy the expensive stuff the first time because the cheap stuff sucks and you just end up wasting money replacing it.
No kidding. For someone just getting into riding, it seems like a hefty fee after spending a few grand already. It's really hard to justify (money-wise) when you're buying a $2000 scooter and I'm the only person I've seen so far that wears full gear riding it around.

timb posted:

Let me get this straight...

You don't feel safe in the Phoenix jacket, so you might forgo a jacket all together and just wear a T-Shirt? ...
I think that was sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Internet Meme posted:

Make sure to actually get a bike. :downs:

I've run into so many people who bought a shitton of fancy gear and then never got around to getting the bike. I ended up buying everything but my helmet from them.

That's still better than getting a bike and no gear. At least they're prepared. I finally bought a nice perforated leather jacket to replace the synthetic one after my Shadow was inop.