Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I only just got my licence this past year, and with the fervor of someone who's found religion late in life I've discovered I actually rather enjoy cars!

This is all fine and good but I find myself pretty quickly out of my depth when talking with my friends who restore old 2002s or race Miatas, because I don't actually know that much about cars themselves. Most of what I know fell out of taking stick shift lessons, but even that doesn't get me very far. What the hell is a limited slip differential? Why does displacement matter? What the heck can I reasonably be expected to be able to wrench on myself?

Given all this, can yall recommend your favourite book to get me started? Last time I was home I read my stepmom's old Car Talk Q&A book, which was maybe a bit too light on details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Thanks. A GTI is at the top of my purchase list so the VW Vortex sounds like a good place to lurk anyway.