Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been rewatching Gold Rush on Hulu. Man the early stuff was fun. The Dakota Boys were such aholes. Such a good show, but I wish they'd go back to small time mining again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Naked and Afraid XL was a goddamn horror show. This is the first time I've ever seen a disclaimer of "This entire episode happens in a single 24 hour period"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Naked and Afraid XL was a goddamn horror show. This is the first time I've ever seen a disclaimer of "This entire episode happens in a single 24 hour period"

what was XL about it? The people were fat?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Holyshoot posted:

what was XL about it? The people were fat?

Instead of 2 people surviving for 21 days, they have 12 people doing 41 days. This is the second XL season they've done and this season is BRUTAL compared to last season. In one episode they had 3 (possibly 4) people medically evacuated for eating this fruit. The person who established the camp left his camera there that showed him in crippling pain. 2 of the members of the big group found the camera and went hauling rear end back to the camp yelling DON'T EAT THE FRUIT DON'T EAT THE FRUIT! but it was too late and it lead to three other group members being evacuated to the bush camp for observation. Also their camp is stupidly close to a river so there are a lot of predators poking around and it looks like next week the lions get even more courageous in investigating the group and their camp.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Instead of 2 people they take 12 psychopaths pretending to be survival experts. Like Mr Goon that keeps saying he's an expert primitive survivalist and misses every bow shot he takes and never brings in any meat.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Might have to start watching this.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Yeah I only saw 1 episode, but XL sure seemed like "let's put these overconfident idiots in the worst situation possible and film what happens". I guess that's a narrative on most reality TV, but they're naked and stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Holyshoot posted:

Might have to start watching this.

Both season of XL are really good. The conditions are so brutal and they had some really weird choices of who they cast. The format is the same both seasons:

1 tribe of all men
1 tribe of all women
1 tribe with 2 women and 1 man
1 tribe with 2 men and 1 women

In the first season I'm not 100% sure if they told the groups that other groups were in the area. They do end up finding each other but it does seem a little staged (SHOCKER!). Season 2 is nuts though, they are in an area of South Africa full of big cats, big predators and absolutely punishing conditions.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
OMG :stare: like 20 mins in on episode 1 of season 1 of XL and this Shane guy is loving crazy! Can't wait to see where this goes.

Question: How do they get away with letting 12 people go minecraft and murder the country side? Do they just pay the government of that country or something?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 24, 2016

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They probably have to go back and fix everything the "survivors" destroy.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Is half of the recruiting requirement that you must be severely mentally ill?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

theacox posted:

Is half of the recruiting requirement that you must be severely mentally ill?

For a lot of reality shows involving groups of people, probably. I mean, they don't put out casting calls for people with mental problems, but the casting process is thorough enough that they can probably get a handle on who has issues and who doesn't, and they can do what they will with that information.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's a qualified yes. Reality shows are obviously looking for people who are mentally ill enough to provide drama, but they don't want anyone who will actually snap and get violent.

Or people who are willing to act that way, more often. They have a major disincentive to recruiting people who will actually go bonkers and mess things up - from an insurance and viewer perspective. People like to see crazy, but not past a certain point.

So it's attention whores basically.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

Been rewatching Gold Rush on Hulu. Man the early stuff was fun. The Dakota Boys were such aholes. Such a good show, but I wish they'd go back to small time mining again.

Isn't Dakota still mining? just with not video camera in his face. I think he posted a self video online at one point.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

IRQ posted:

So it's attention whores basically.

There it is. Those are the words I was looking for.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Armageddon on Naked and Afraid tonight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C-c-c-crosspost:

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of Netflix, Mythbusters' former "Build Team" Tory Belleci, Kari Byron and Grant Imahara are doing a show for Netflix called The White Rabbit Project which sounds like it's basically Mythbusters.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
The build team?

quote:

Deadline reports that The White Rabbit Project will star Mythbusters veterans Grant Imahara, Tory Belleci, and Kari Byron. The series, produced for Netflix by Beyond Productions, will focus on the three builders and scientists taking a venture “down the rabbit hole” to explore odd and strange mysteries from history and pop culture. The various topics that are set to be explored include strange World War II weaponry, superpower tech, heists, and jailbreaks. The three will continue their Mythbusters tradition of doing builds and experiments to explore these mysteries and bring the reality of each mystery to light.

Producer: Who needs a job?
Underling: :shrug:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Well that's really good to hear - as long as they stay far, far away from the deadeningly unfunny scripted "skits" the b-team was always saddled with to kill time on their portion of episode.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Since it's on netflix and not the lovely discovery channel it means no more coming up/previously between short segments. So automatically better than mythbusters

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Well that's really good to hear - as long as they stay far, far away from the deadeningly unfunny scripted "skits" the b-team was always saddled with to kill time on their portion of episode.

If they are trying to capture young audiences, especially the Youtube crowd, then those aren't going anywhere.

In unrelated news, isn't Bill Nye also getting a Netflix show?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

In unrelated news, isn't Bill Nye also getting a Netflix show?

Yes, at the rate they're going Netflix will give me a show sometime next year.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gold Rush is back and Parker is back with a smoking hot Australian girlfriend gold digger.

Photex fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 15, 2016

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Jake Harris of Deadliest Catch was beaten and left for dead a couple of days ago.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/jake-harris-of-deadliest-catch-recovering-after-severe-beating/467099322

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

lol he just can't get enough of those pills

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I'm going to assume he was buying drugs, got into the car and got worked over. :/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Photex posted:

I'm going to assume he was buying drugs, got into the car and got worked over. :/

Yeah, the article said he didn't meet with the detectives even though his brother did, so I am guessing the lure the couple uses is drug sales.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a head's up, the Netflix Mythbusters spin-off hits next week.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
When's deadliest catch come back?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

DC usually airs around March/April, IIRC. Right now they would only just be filming the first half (King crab etc.) Opies are January I think?

I don't even think I finished watching last season. How many episodes were after the one where Sig has the heart attack?

muscles like this! posted:

drat. That was quick. I feel like it was just announced a couple of months ago. I guess they had a bunch of poo poo they wanted to shoot for MB that they never got around to. Unless I am just bugging out and they announced it way long ago.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 29, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

None, sig's heart attack was in the finale, iirc.

Grant, Kari, and Tori were hinting at working on a new project for months before the announcement.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

muscles like this! posted:

If anyone watched it, how was it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've watched the first couple episodes and it doesn't quite do it for me. There's not nearly as much emphasis on building poo poo, and the group does too much stuff individually. Kari mind controlling Tory was pretty fun though.

Also the no-good-very-bad-terrible idea Mythbusters game show is going to start up soon, and I finally realized why it's a terrible idea. The big reason Mythbusters worked is because it was a cast of people who knew each other from before they went in front of the camera and the chemistry flowed from that. I don't think slapping together the winners of a game show is going to come close to replicating that. I think i'll take a pass on "The Search" but if when they bring back the show proper I'll check it out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Not particularly good. There's less, but still a decent amount, of in-episode recaps of what's already been done, and the three of them ham it up more than ever -- and it feels even more heavily scripted than ever.

It's decent background noise, I suppose, but the science stuff is almost completely excluded in favor of "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we did THIS?! :2bong:"

Basically, there's all the enthusiasm of Adam, but it's sorely missing the grounded straight man of Jamie -- think all Laurel, no Hardy.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 31, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Sounds like it was a cash grab to compete with the Netflix show anyway. And yeah, a casting show for MB makes no sense. People are watching for the myths and the builds, not random shmucks and the cookie cutter drama from every competition show ever. Remember that show with all the geniuses that built crazy machines? With the guy from Harold and Kumar as the host? The show had potential but the drama was generic. Wasn't there another show where people were building literal Wile E Coyote devices? (It actually featured licensed Coyote and Roadrunner stuff.)

All these build shows makes me miss junkyard wars.

Timby posted:

Not particularly good. There's less, but still a decent amount, of in-episode recaps of what's already been done, and the three of them ham it up more than ever -- and it feels even more heavily scripted than ever.

It's decent background noise, I suppose, but the science stuff is almost completely excluded in favor of "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we did THIS?! :2bong:"

Basically, there's all the enthusiasm of Adam, but it's sorely missing the grounded straight man of Jamie.

Makes sense. MB shifted toward the builds after they left, and prior to them, was also more about builds and science. I kind of expected that their own show would be a show more about them and less about what they are doing. It's a shame though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Timby posted:

it feels even more heavily scripted than ever.

Considering that it feels like a full half of every episode is given over to reenactments that's sort of a given.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's alright it's got some neat history in it but the builds are whatever.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Timby posted:

Basically, there's all the enthusiasm of Adam, but it's sorely missing the grounded straight man of Jamie -- think all Laurel, no Hardy.
It's as though they extracted the worst part of 'Mythbusters', the B-team side stories and their WACKY SCRIPTED KID-FRIENDLY ANTICS. Stretch that thin gruel out to the entire length of an hour, and then slapped an aggressively meaningless LISTICLE framing device around it all.

I watched the whole thing anyway because I miss Mythbusters and don't dislike the trio. There's a few episodes that actually manage to be interesting (Lost WW2 Tech, Before their time & Future Devices). But it's mostly G-rated fluff.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 31, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Chromatic posted:

Jake Harris of Deadliest Catch was beaten and left for dead a couple of days ago.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/jake-harris-of-deadliest-catch-recovering-after-severe-beating/467099322

The pill head guy lol.

Why did the Hoffmans wait till the "mid season" to buy some machine that works with mud?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Oh wow didn't catch that before but In the video he said they won't be on this season.

• Locked thread