Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LordOfThePants posted:

I think they only did the Shark Week special one year.

They did a shark week Dirty Jobs last year I think.

There is both a new Dirty Jobs and a new Mythbusters next week, I don't know if it's the start of a run of new episodes because my Tivo's guide doesn't go out that far yet.

There's going to be 4 weeks of new Dirty Jobs, and then another new ep a week or two after that, and 5 weeks of new eps of Mythbusters, both starting next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's going to be 4 weeks of new Dirty Jobs, and then another new ep a week or two after that, and 5 weeks of new eps of Mythbusters, both starting next week.

That's awesome. I'm glad they didn't just bring back a "new season" of Dirty Jobs for 3 new episodes.

Faikon
Aug 2, 2007

I wrote a 46 page story about a Dark Eldar girl who hates her parents, need critiques please.
Shark Week is the bane of the discovery channel. The same shows are shown every year, and they were never interesting to me in the first place. Sure, sharks will gently caress you up, and I could be tricked into watching the odd hour long special on them. But when you take away the staples of the discovery channel, or do some forced shark-themed version, it gets old real quick.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
^However, it did inspire the "Shark Week" on the forums! :waycool:

TheChirurgeon posted:

That's awesome; I didn't think too highly of the "Snow Special" when I first saw it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Faikon posted:

Shark Week is the bane of the discovery channel. The same shows are shown every year, and they were never interesting to me in the first place.

Especially since so many of them have been produced independently from one another that their content overlaps.

Syncopator
Jul 21, 2006

by Ozma
YAY Shark Week is over!:neckbeard:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Syncopator posted:

YAY Shark Week is over!:neckbeard:

Not only would I have never thought to have heard that phrase in my lifetime, but I completely agree. Shark Week sucked this year.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
God this guy sucks on cash cab after dark or whatever. He only got 2 questions right, and 1 was from a mobile shoutout.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Wow, nothing on the MythBusters' baseball special last night? I'd have figured there'd at least be a few posts on it.

I thought it was great. I thought it was nice to see the Build Team working with Adam & Jamie rather than just doing their own boring-rear end myths for the whole episode. Watching them take batting practice was good for a laugh, they built some really creative robots this time around, and even the obligatory guest spot was handled well.

Plus watching them get a baseball up past 450 MPH was a riot. :)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

slartibartfast posted:

Wow, nothing on the MythBusters' baseball special last night? I'd have figured there'd at least be a few posts on it.

I thought it was great. I thought it was nice to see the Build Team working with Adam & Jamie rather than just doing their own boring-rear end myths for the whole episode. Watching them take batting practice was good for a laugh, they built some really creative robots this time around, and even the obligatory guest spot was handled well.

Plus watching them get a baseball up past 450 MPH was a riot. :)

A lot of the "watching them gently caress up during building" footage was taken out for the giant Roger Clemens circle jerk, I didn't really like that. I would have liked to see Adam explain how much of a tard he was once he hit that pole with the bat or other stupid poo poo they have happen during the building process.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

lordblytzkrieg posted:

A lot of the "watching them gently caress up during building" footage was taken out for the giant Roger Clemens circle jerk, I didn't really like that. I would have liked to see Adam explain how much of a tard he was once he hit that pole with the bat or other stupid poo poo they have happen during the building process.

Yeah, I kind of like the earlier seasons more, because they didn't tackle as many myths and we got to see more of the behind the scenes stuff. Now, the show feels very produced and planned out. I think the producers need to understand that people watch Mythbusters for the process, and not the results. The results are cool, but the coolest part is the wacky stuff that happens.

Them getting a baseball up to 450 miles per hour was ridiculous. I'm surprised they did that inside the shop.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

LordOfThePants posted:

I just watched this week's Dirty Jobs and it was hilarious.

They must be running out of jobs, because they seem to be spending an entire episode at one place now. This week, he was working at a snake farm (looked like one of those huge roadside attractions that are full of snakes).

Mike had to grab some of the snakes right below their heads so they couldn't bite him and it was hilarious to watch. He was clearly very unsettled, you could see him sweating the whole time.

I think after the Lake Erie snake collector episode, he's a little gunshy about getting bitten by snakes. I saw one episode where I think he said he was bit something like 30 times that day. I can't say I'd blame him for being nervous.

My favorite one for that kind of stuff was when he was at the alligator farm, the poor guy was scared out of his loving mind. It did not help one bit when the guy hit in the pit and jumped up with the stuffed gator right in Mikes face. It was just great to watch him the entire episode being really jumpy around them.

Sadly though yea myth busters has kind of taken a turn for the worse, I don’t mind having the build team there but the episodes seem so much shorter now and just little spats. I think they should throw them all together and spend the episode on one or two myths maybe three at the most, and show all of them working together and just goofing around.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Is it just me, or is How It's Made one of the most boring-rear end shows ever made? Not just because they're talking about the fascinating world of vegetable oil and masking tape manufacturing, but because they use the worst supermarket jazz they can find to play behind a narrator who couldn't make the Statue of Liberty becoming sentient and smashing through New York sound interesting.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

IndieRockLance posted:

Is it just me, or is How It's Made one of the most boring-rear end shows ever made? Not just because they're talking about the fascinating world of vegetable oil and masking tape manufacturing, but because they use the worst supermarket jazz they can find to play behind a narrator who couldn't make the Statue of Liberty becoming sentient and smashing through New York sound interesting.

I dont know about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQj3LIH-DqM

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

slartibartfast posted:

I thought it was, like baseball, very boring.

But yeah, Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are both suffering from a lack of new ground to cover. Though I think Dirty Jobs still has legs, if they'd get out there and look. The shitsucker thread in GBS would be perfect Dirty Jobs fodder.

IndieRockLance posted:

He's Canadian, ehhhhhhhhhhh, what do you want from him? I like that show just to see how all the crap we use every day gets to us. They keep the segments short enough to not be tedious, and it probably costs like $20 to shoot an episode.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Plus, it makes you think most things are made with no human intervention at all.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

smackfu posted:

Plus, it makes you think most things are made with no human intervention at all.

Kind of like how "How'd they do that?" went the way of the dodo because the answer to every episode was CG, "How It's Made" gets kind of boring when you realize that it's all temperature treated steel/aluminium and injected molded plastic on an elaborate factory assembly line. The only really interesting ones are the things that are made by hand.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

ErIog posted:

Them getting a baseball up to 450 miles per hour was ridiculous. I'm surprised they did that inside the shop.

Same here, especially given that Jamie seems super-anal about making sure nothing in his shop gets damaged. The only thing I can figure is they didn't want to risk the ball getting out of control and being fired at 450 mph in an open space and hitting who-knows-what who-knows-where.

IRQ posted:

But yeah, Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs are both suffering from a lack of new ground to cover. Though I think Dirty Jobs still has legs, if they'd get out there and look. The shitsucker thread in GBS would be perfect Dirty Jobs fodder.

I'm not sure what the Mythbusters' issue is, but with Dirty Jobs, I think the problem is Mike Rowe's busy as hell and doesn't have the time to go do the jobs they need for the show. Hopefully next season will allow him the time, but between Deadliest Catch and related specials, TV commercials, TV appearances with the show exploding in popularity lately, etc., I think he's swamped and for proof, look no further than the billboard episode where they stretched a job that normally would be one segment of one episode into an entire show.

I liked that episode; I'm just saying I'm sure they could do that with a lot of jobs and don't unless they need to.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Hey looks its tuna wranglers Its like deadliest catch but….boring and uninspired. Wow they go to a fish farm and jump in and fetch the fish by hand and then throw it on board….in warm sunny weather. Well this is exciting

They also have another one that’s about lobster fishing that’s just as bland, they are trying to cash in on deadliest catch but failing so bad. Though I am surprised to find out a “perfect” tuna fish is worth something like 7 thousand dollars or what ever they had said.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

Hey looks its tuna wranglers Its like deadliest catch but….boring and uninspired. Wow they go to a fish farm and jump in and fetch the fish by hand and then throw it on board….in warm sunny weather. Well this is exciting

They also have another one that’s about lobster fishing that’s just as bland, they are trying to cash in on deadliest catch but failing so bad. Though I am surprised to find out a “perfect” tuna fish is worth something like 7 thousand dollars or what ever they had said.

There's quite a bit of range to tuna. There's the crap you get in a can, then there's the stuff that comes in sushi, and then there's the huge hunks that come in sashimi. So, don't just think about Chicken of the Sea when you hear tuna. It's got some range.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Oh I understand that but it just amazes me that it can sell for that much. True enough when I think of tuna I think of a bunch of fished caught in nets, so to find out a single fish can bring in more money then my car cost just floors me. It does make me wonder if there is stuff like tuna steak or what ever the equivalent of it would be.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Well there is that new show "Lobster Wars" or something that is coming out soon. I thought there already was a Lobster equivalent to Deadliest Catch, with a much less cheesy name, though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh I understand that but it just amazes me that it can sell for that much. True enough when I think of tuna I think of a bunch of fished caught in nets, so to find out a single fish can bring in more money then my car cost just floors me. It does make me wonder if there is stuff like tuna steak or what ever the equivalent of it would be.

The thing is, some tuna are loving huge. Like as big as your car, and frightening. I guess that might be it, though I really won't watch a show about a vile fish that is common as dirt and tastes even worse.

Robot Relations posted:

I'm not sure what the Mythbusters' issue is, but with Dirty Jobs, I think the problem is Mike Rowe's busy as hell and doesn't have the time to go do the jobs they need for the show.

Eh, I always thought they were just desperate for content, but you, I suppose, could be right. It's just that the last few DJ episodes have been a lot cleaner and a lot more focused. I don't see how narrating Deadliest Catch and doing lovely Ford commercials can take THAT much time though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Darth Freddy posted:

They also have another one that’s about lobster fishing that’s just as bland, they are trying to cash in on deadliest catch but failing so bad.
Take two on this concept, I guess.

I dunno, I didn't think the first lobster one was so bad, because all the captains hate each other and gently caress with each others' stuff not because it's funny, but because DEY STOLE ER LABSTAHS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nmfree posted:

Take two on this concept, I guess.

I dunno, I didn't think the first lobster one was so bad, because all the captains hate each other and gently caress with each others' stuff not because it's funny, but because DEY STOLE ER LABSTAHS.

That one was pretty awful too. The back end of the boats were completely open, that's how calm the water was. I'm all for knockoffs and incestuous edutainment programming (Flip This/That/The Other House!), but my god that was lame.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Robot Relations posted:

I'm not sure what the Mythbusters' issue is, but with Dirty Jobs, I think the problem is Mike Rowe's busy as hell and doesn't have the time to go do the jobs they need for the show.

Mike Rowe is under contract with Discovery. He's never "too busy" to do the jobs they need for the show.

The problem they've been having is finding new jobs, and the time it takes to make episodes. It takes time to go to location, shoot an episode, have it approved, sent to post-production and finished, and then they need to do a few more before they can throw them on the air so they can have a string of new episodes airing for several weeks.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Mike Rowe is under contract with Discovery. He's never "too busy" to do the jobs they need for the show.

While you're technically right, there's only 24 hours in a day and a lot of Dirty Jobs depends on the people they're going out to shoot on location with being ready to let Discovery be a part of what they're doing. I'm pretty sure he's said on more than one occasion that while no one's been outright rude or pushy with the DJ crew, they have done jobs where they were given a tight time window to come in, work, get the shots they needed and get out so the guys who actually work on those jobs could get back to "normal."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I heard that Mr. Rowe also has/had some back problems, which kept him from doing any hard labor dirty job for a while.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

Looks like Going Tribal is back if any one is interested. I loved this show and usually like his interaction with what ever natives he is around. It seems that every now and then he actually develops some honest friends with in the groups and garners a fair bit of respect from some of the tribes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Did the "crew hanging around the blueprint table talking about the show" bit on Mythbusters seem really, really scripted to anyone else? The flow of dialogue felt incredibly stale and forced to me. If it was scripted before, it sure didn't feel like it :\

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Capn Beeb posted:

Did the "crew hanging around the blueprint table talking about the show" bit on Mythbusters seem really, really scripted to anyone else? The flow of dialogue felt incredibly stale and forced to me. If it was scripted before, it sure didn't feel like it :\

It was definitely very forced this time around, but had always seemed scripted in the past, at least to me. Though I will admit that recent episodes has seen the Mythbusters really, REALLY, just not giving a poo poo about their delivery.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

It was definitely very forced this time around, but had always seemed scripted in the past, at least to me. Though I will admit that recent episodes has seen the Mythbusters really, REALLY, just not giving a poo poo about their delivery.

Yeah I can agree on that, they've obviously done discussions solely for the purposes of tv before, but now it's really blatant. The show frankly, feels pretty played out.

Davidnssbm
Oct 19, 2004

by Fragmaster
though im almost on season 4 i still love the show. though the narroration/recap from 10 minutes ago wastes alot of time

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I need to start submitting badass Hockey myths for them to bust.

Such as...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good LORD. I'm just catching up on Dirty Jobs, but this Vegas food disposal job is easily the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

When that slop exploded off of the truck, I nearly lost it.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

I've had this problem the last season or two, especially with the build team taking a much bigger role. It always came across as kind of forced when it was just Jamie and Adam, but the more people they try to script with, the more contrived everything sounds (though it is especially bad in episodes built around a theme, like the baseball episode, because each one of them has to throw out a myth they "just heard" and everyone needs to act like they never heard of it before). I generally tune out during those segments.

The baseball episode also reminded me of another Mythbuster pet-peeve: Kari lately has this tendency to overact how amazed the smallest things make her. Like when they took the baseball to NASA and looked at it in the windtunnel, she had to say something like "WHOA, look at the AIR FLOW." Makes me cringe every time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kari is a horribly forced actress period.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Kari is a horribly forced actress period.

They all are. I understand it's a TV show and they need to play things up, but most people could watch Kari knit silently for an hour and be enthralled by it. She's an artist/laborer, Tori's a special effects tech, Grant's an electrical/robot whiz, Jamie's a humorless special effects expert and Adam's the only one with a minute amount of acting talent.

I'm pretty sure, aside from Jamie who I understand takes a very distant approach when the cameras aren't on, they're all friends, so if they just let them bullshit around the table rather than give them horribly forced dialogue, it'd come off a lot better.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really get much of a "hamming it up for the camera" from Grant or Tori, but that could easily be because Kari is tipping the scales.

Completely agree on just letting them bullshit. It would be so much better. I'm not particularly great friends with my coworkers, but even we banter about what we do -- if there was a TV show about software development, I'd be a loving star.

I'm looking forward to the new viewer myth special, but to be completely honest I'm pretty sick of these "specials". Every other show I catch is either Myths Revisited or XYZ Special.

There has to be at least enough interesting myths left for one season of non-gimmick episodes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Darth Freddy posted:

Looks like Going Tribal is back if any one is interested. I loved this show and usually like his interaction with what ever natives he is around. It seems that every now and then he actually develops some honest friends with in the groups and garners a fair bit of respect from some of the tribes.

Was that the show where the guy tried to put his cock inside a gourd like the other tribesman but ended up not doing it because it was the most painful thing he'd ever felt in his life?

• Locked thread