Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

smackfu posted:

They were showing an episode a day, last I checked, though it's on at 11 AM or so. They cycle through pretty fast because each season only has 10 or 12 episodes.

10 AM eastern, which I think used to be Mythbusters. I think last week I was watching Mythbusters at 10 because I watched it before Gilmore Girls, which is on at 11 on ABC Family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

Hell I would love to see him do a “Dangerous jobs” show

I don't! I used to have "crab fisherman" and "ice road trucker" on my list of jobs to get when I give up on living. They used to be somewhat obscure, but now... And your show would ruin whatever I find to replace those two :smith:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hazo posted:

Yes we have lots of reasons to cover up the existence of Megalodon such as

THE GOVERNMENT doesn't want you to know that the Edmund Fitzgerald was sunk because a megalodon bit it and then American steel prices would skyrocket and then a billion little Chinese boots would be on our necks.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It drives me crazy how much time is wasted in "documentaries" these days with talking heads or OR WILL THE FIND THE THING!?!?????

It's like when they crashed that 727 in the desert to see what happened. 75% of that show was "here's how they did it" and THE DRAMA OF WILL THE RADIO CONTROL DEVICE WORK!? Guess what, I tuned in to watch a 727 crash into Mexico not some jackasses that rigged up the cheapest possible radio control system then watch them troubleshoot it so they can give me 10 minutes of actual information about what happened in that crash.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Definitely starting a World Megaladon Foundation now. Market opportunity for sure.

With your help we will find the megalodon and kill him. Or put his brain in the body of a robo-shark. Whichever seems like a worse idea at the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

I refuse to watch that show based on name alone

I agree. I grew up in a "chuck" house and I hate "chunk" people with a fire that burns as pure as the Sun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ariza posted:

It's from a couple of years ago, but there was some nonsense going on that made them not air it in the US in order. A guy claims that they ripped off his idea for his show (he's probably right), so I'm assuming that's why they held on to it for a bit.

edit - instead of going to the courts, he just bitches online, which kind of puts a damper on his story. Beyond that, boarding airplanes and traffic jams aren't exactly hard ideas to figure out independently.

All of his "amazing coincidences" aren't, too.

If someone said "what if we did a show about traffic myths," I'd have come up with that exact list too. Although mine would have been Washington to NYC because that's a more regionally appropriate city pair for me. That would have been, literally, the only difference.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How's he getting out of the snake, because if its anything like the post-credits scene in Pacific Rim, I only want to see the part where he gets out of the snake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IRQ posted:

I learned that we still actually use the things.

And will still fly them until we cram film cameras in a drone or rewrite some treaties.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

IRQ posted:

What do we have all those fancy satellites for?

Its difficult to retask a satellite on the fly and the bad guys know when satellites pass over because their orbits are public knowledge. The cameras on a U-2 have a longer range (so to speak) than the ones on the Global Hawks, by a rather large distance. I don't know if this has since been amended, but a few years ago, there were still clauses in certain arms control treaties that required actual film to be handed over as part of the verification process and only the U-2 had film on board.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

A mach speed UAV would be an effective replacement but latency must be a real problem in that design.

At this point, we pretty much have to go hypersonic if we're talking Russia or China's potential air defenses. Tricky part with a hypersonic drone (aside from the part where we keep breaking them) is using what looks like an ICBM for a booster. You can probably guess why everyone would be pretty jumpy about that one. Have to figure out a workaround there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HTV-2 was using a Minotaur. Not sure you'd want the other side to have to think "gee, a launch from inside CONUS and it deployed a hypersonic vehicle that'll be here in 20 minutes. Time to make a very fast decision without all the information!" Granted, HTV-2 was going way past Mach 5, which is pretty doable from an air launched platform. Trade off on that one is during your deployment from minutes to hours. Basically one of the reasons the airborne laser went away.

My suspicion is we'll end up seeing lots of very small, stealthy, and disposable drones for intelligence. One of those Virginias launching something that mimics a cruise missile would give you fast deployment and "right now" intelligence.

If you're not worrying about cost, the only limit is your imagination!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheRationalRedditor posted:

the dramatizations were mostly cool though

The back and forth "each team loses a guy" made it easy to figure out who would win.

Plus some of them drove me crazy with who won because it had to fit the mold of "each team loses a guy, in turn, and they have to use an example of all their weapons." I remember thinking that during the Waffen SS vs Viet-Cong. The VC had captured some SS dude, so the team was trying to rescue him. And he doesn't just stand there and yell "No sacrifice is too great for the Fatherland!" before one of the other SS guys just roasts everyone, including the captured guy, with his flamethrower. Nooooo they save the flamethrower for last in the one on one duel.

Still, got to see a Somali Pirate kill someone with a grappling hook. Don't see that every day.

Ha, I'd forgotten about George Washington punching Napoleon in the face

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I learn plenty from Ancient Aliens.

I see something on there, I think "that's bullshit," then I look up what the actual facts are.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

haveblue posted:

The most interesting thing about that gif is how the tank easily pops away from the wheels like there's nothing holding them together except gravity. Is that normal for train cars or did they secretly disconnect something in preparation for the implosion?

There's nothing holding them together except gravity.

When you've got that much tonnage, let it do the hard work for you.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

My favorite is still pancaking the car with the rocket sled, because the sled's acceleration just so goddamn ridiculous, and then their reactions.

The cloud of red paint coming off the car is my favorite part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bleh Maestro posted:

Is Naked and Afraid fake or are the people on it just loving nuts?

From my googling it sounds like it's real?

I know a few people that are willing to do stuff like that, yet never take up my suggestion to just take their pants off and walk into the woods and prove their tenacity!

• Locked thread