Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm a big fan of The Discovery Channel. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep discussion threads going for the shows because they air them slowly over a whole year. Sometimes shows air in the same time slot, but different times of the year (for example, Deadliest Catch is about to start up Tuesdays at 9pm, which is where Dirty Jobs usually is)

I thought a megathread would be a good idea, we can consolidate discussion into one thread this way because a lot of the shows aren't popular enough to merit their own thread.

The Discovery Channel airs a variety of shows. If you used to be a fan, but got sick of all the "Build a Bike" shows, you should check it out again because they've all moved to TLC (although I did love Monster Garage). In addition to their own programming, the Discovery Channel also re-runs shows from the other networks owned by Discovery. Shows like Survivorman and How It's Made actually air first on The Science Channel, then later on Discovery.

The Discovery Channel is also home to Shark Week. Remember kids, live every week like it's Shark Week.

I've included the times when shows air, but since it's cable, things are re-run all through the week. As always, check local listings.

Here's a rundown of their more popular shows. I didn't include Planet Earth, because there's a big thread for that here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2390716

Mythbusters
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html
Wednesdays at 9pm EST

Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman host this show that puts popular urban legends to the test. Does a rolling stone really gather no moss? Can you really clean out a cement mixer with explosives? Will a gun operate under water? They've done some pretty crazy stuff on the show and it's pretty entertaining.

Deadliest Catch
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html
Tuesdays at 9pm EST

I don't watch this (although I'll probably start because it looks interesting), but this series follows Alaskan Crab fishermen in what is a pretty dangerous job. Narrated by Mike Rowe.

Dirty Jobs
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/dirtyjobs.html
Tuesdays at 9pm EST

Mike Rowe does dirty jobs. There's really no better way to describe this show. You learn all sorts of interesting things, like what an electro-ejaculator is, or how they mine salt.

Edit: Someone linked these videos of Mike Rowe on QVC. They're awesome. http://youtube.com/results?search_query=mike%20rowe%20qvc&search=Search

Futureweapons
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/future-weapons/future-weapons.html
Mondays at 9pm EST

Hosted by former Navy SEAL Richard "Mack" Machowicz, this show covers up and coming weaponry.

Stunt Junkies
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/stuntjunkies/stuntjunkies.html
Mondays at 10pm EST

Various people perform crazy dangerous stunts, like riding a motorcycle over the edge of the Grand Canyon, gliding off and pulling a BASE jump parachute to land safely.

Man vs. Wild
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/manvswild/manvswild.html
Fridays at 9pm EST

Hosted by Bear Grylls, this follows Bear as he goes off into remote areas and finds his way out. Unlike Survivorman, Bear travels with a two man camera crew, who are under strict instructions not to get involved or help him unless he's in grave danger. He's fond of demonstrating ways to get out of danger by putting himself in that situation (ie: he wanted to demonstrate what to do if you fell through the ice into a frozen lake, so he jumped in himself).

Survivorman
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/survivorman/survivorman.html
Airing Schedule varies

Hosted by Les Stroud. Even though this is a Science Channel show, I've included it here because they air it on Discovery. Les strands himself in remote locations and tries to find his way out. He goes in with minimal equipment, usually a multi tool and some random items his producers decide he can take (when he did a show in the Canyonlands of Utah, they gave him some corn chips and part of an energy bar). Oh, he also shoots the entire show himself, carrying all the camera equipment he needs for his trips with him. Those awesome shots of him crossing a stream or climbing up a rock wall mean he had to do it twice - once to film it and once to go get the camera.

How It's Made
http://science.discovery.com/fansites/howitsmade/howitsmade.html
Airs various times

Another Science Channel show airing on Discovery. This show is mesmerizing. The most menial things are sometimes really cool to see made and that's what this show does. In a typical 30 minute show, they'll show how three different things are made.

There's lots more shows than this, so feel free to add your own summaries. The main Discovery Channel page is this way:

http://dsc.discovery.com/

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Davidnssbm posted:

thanks for this thread. i dont have TV at home but i still watch discovery channel everychance i get. dont forget planet earth!

i have to say that man vs wild is the best show on TV right now! If not for the awesome footage, then for the savageness of christian bale--Er, bear grylls!
I didn't include Planet Earth because there's already a big thread about it.

There may be new episode of Man vs. Wild starting April 6th, the fansite says it airs then at 9, but doesn't say if they are doing new episodes or not.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Did anyone else see the Season 2 recap of Deadliest Catch on last night? I've never seen the show before, but I'm pretty excited for Season 3 after watching that. It looks like a pretty cool show.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Dark One posted:

I can't stand that retarded "Criss Angel Mindfreak" show or "A Haunting". I do enjoy "Mayday", though. :)
I thought that Mindfreak show was on A&E?

I just watched this week's episode of Deadliest Catch. I wish I had caught this earlier, because it's pretty good. I've setup a Season Pass on the Tivo to try and grab all the old episodes.

As Ape Agitator said, Everest: Beyond the Limit is very good and you should try and catch it when they re-run it again. It's pretty cool to see how brutal the climb is. The part when the Chinese expedition completely blocked the only ladder up/down one part in the death zone pretty much made me never want to even attempt to climb Everest, because no matter how skilled you are, it's pretty easy for someone who's completely incompetent to kill you with their choices

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Bumping this because there's a new episode of Mythbusters on tonight at 9pm.

Voice Flame Extinguisher

Jamie and Adam try to put out a fire by yelling loudly at it; Kari, Tory and Grant examine four hypnosis hypotheses, including post-hypnotic suggestions and self-hypnosis.

Also, Wednesdays at 8pm they have a new show called "Hazard Pay" - it's sort of like Dirty Jobs, except the host does dangerous jobs instead of dirty jobs. Tonight's show, he's doing the job of a prison guard and a hockey player.

So far, the prison guard job is pretty interesting. They talked about and showed some of the weapons that inmates make. They talked about "gassing" - where an inmate will take a mixture of urine, feces, and blood and throw it through the cell door at the guard.

Apparently at this particular prison, they had to buy STRONGER pepper spray because some of the inmates had built up an immunity to it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Campbell posted:

230 miles to the northwest of the previous topic, lies the Deadliest Catch.

Really...I can't get enough of this show. I've watched since the beginning and still even though every scene is overloaded with false suspense (Cue Mike Rowe: "On the deadly Bering Sea, even making breakfast is a live threatening event."), I'll probably never miss an episode.
I'm really enjoying Deadliest Catch this season. When this season is over, I'll set up a Wishlist on my Tivo to grab all the old seasons.

Mythbusters this week was kind of disappointing. They tested two myths as usual. Adam and Jamie's was to test of flying birds in a truck made it weigh lighter (compared to when they were in the truck but not flying). That was slightly interesting, but the myth that the team busted was sort of retarded. They found a picture of a boat impaled on a channel marker and tried to replicate it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

No new Mythbusters tonight, although last week's Ninja episode was actually pretty good. Like the Pirate myths episode, I had low expectations going in but it was very entertaining.

Hazard Pay last week was really cool. He spent a day working as a "Tower Climber" - one of the guys who climbs up those massive microwave towers to make repairs. The guy with him told him not to look up once they were past a certain height, because the movement of the clouds would make it appear that the tower was swaying and your body would try to compensate for it by shifting your weight and you could fall off.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

I'm not much into the Discovery Channel series, MythBusters etc. has gotten kind of old over the last couple of years. However, I still can't resist any specials involving asteroids, black holes, stars...anything space that somehow predicts the apocalypse I'm instantly hooked on.
The Science Channel is doing "Space Week" sometime - it almost makes me want to get digital cable so I can watch it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I hate to keep bumping this when there's so little interest, but I have a Deadliest Catch question.

This week's episode, the red crab season was over. They showed the final crab count, then how much each boat made.

Does each guy get a different price on the crab? I wonder, because the Cornelia-Marie was the crab-count leader, but they made less money than the Northwestern did, and the Northwestern caught fewer crab.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Campbell posted:

Edit:
And on a similar note, did anyone watch the 1st part of "After the Catch"? It kind of weirded me out because every single thing was like "Hey remember when that guy died? How about that friend of yours when he was crushed like a grape? Let's watch the footage!" The onslaught of morbid questions just seemed kinda disrepectful to me.

I kinda just wish that they'd let the captains talk about whatever was on their mind, even if it doesn't relate to EXCITING NEAR-DEATH BOAT STUNTS or something.

Thanks for the info on the show, I've only seen this season so far.

I watched that show and I think they're doing a different theme for each part, which is why it was so morbid last week. According to my Tivo, this week's episode deals with near-death experiences and next week's deals with "mysteries of the sea" - which should be pretty cool.

Also, Man vs. Wild fans, good news. New episodes start next Friday (6/15) at 9:00pm, with Bear surviving in the Everglades.

I forgot to mention it when I saw it was on, but keep your eyes out for "Going Tribal". They're not making new episodes as far as I know, but it's an AMAZING series. Every now and then they'll run a marathon of it, I wish they'd show it more often.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Humboldt squid posted:

I can't remember the name of the show, but that show with the guy who went and lived with various indiginous peoples around the world was awesome, but did it get canceled or something? :(

Also, futureweapons is loving stupid.
That was Going Tribal. They still show reruns occasionally. I think it was last summer they did a short, four episode "series" where he lived with four different tribes in Africa, but other than that I don't know if they're making new episodes.

I imagine it's a difficult show to film. I mean, the logistics behind planning the trips have to be insane, plus he spends 30 days with each tribe. Hopefully they're filming a new season right now.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI - New episodes of Man vs. Wild start tonight at 9pm (it's actually on right now). It's rerun a bunch of time through the weekend if you miss it tonight.

Bear is in the Everglades in this episode.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

That Las Vegas pig farm episode of Dirty Jobs was disgusting, easily one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on TV. I never actually watched the whole thing because I was so revolted by it, I kept 30-second skipping through it. The best part was when Mike stopped quickly with a truckload of slop and it sloshed forward and into the cab.

You guys talking about "America's Deadliest Season" - there was apparently something that was a precursor to that too, called "Extreme Alaska" I think - they were talking about it last night on After the Catch.

Last night's episode of "After The Catch" was pretty interesting, especially the stories about the bar all the fishermen go to.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Robot Relations posted:

And the way he deadpan confirms that they hooked up the cattle fence thing is pretty :smith: too.

That was not only stupid, but kind of dangerous because while it wasn't lethal, anything above a few thousand volts can cause some serious injuries.
I've been shocked by a cow fence before, it wasn't pleasant. They're not always on, they "pulse" (if they were always on and you grabbed on to it, you may not be able to let go).

As far as the lethality goes, here's some examples My parents don't have cows anymore, but they used to grow sweet corn. Raccoons love sweet corn and will get in and eat it before it's ready. The best way to prevent this is to put up an electric fence. Since they didn't have cows, they used the electric fence charger to power it. It never killed any raccoons, although occasionally it would kill a bird (this was pretty rare).

Before I was born, the family beagle got loose and was shocked by the electric cattle fence. It didn't hurt her (she lived to be quite old), but she'd refuse to go back to where the pasture was, even long after the fence and cows were gone. I guess it left an impression.

Also, those Mike Rowe QVC commercials are a GREAT find. I'm adding that to the original post.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Now new Dirty Jobs tonight? This Salt Mine thing is from earlier in the year.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just watched this week's Dirty Jobs and it was hilarious.

They must be running out of jobs, because they seem to be spending an entire episode at one place now. This week, he was working at a snake farm (looked like one of those huge roadside attractions that are full of snakes).

Mike had to grab some of the snakes right below their heads so they couldn't bite him and it was hilarious to watch. He was clearly very unsettled, you could see him sweating the whole time.

I think after the Lake Erie snake collector episode, he's a little gunshy about getting bitten by snakes. I saw one episode where I think he said he was bit something like 30 times that day. I can't say I'd blame him for being nervous.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

See, a lot of that could be hidden in the details.

For example, talking about him staying in fancy resorts while on location. Maybe they got there a few days early and checked into a hotel before he parachuted/whatever into the wild? Someone could say he spent a night in a hotel, when in fact that was a few days before the "official" survival time.

Take the raft thing. Maybe he asked the people if it could be done and to check it out before he went on the trip. Some people tried it and assembled it, then Bear had to do it himself. It doesn't say if the he re-used their materials or had to find them himself.

The horse thing is sort of lovely, there's no real way to explain that.

I'm not surprised if Bear/the crew get help when their health/life is in danger - Bear himself said that the only way someone would intervene is in that case, so I fully expect it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

So, no new Mythbusters special this year? :smith:
I think they only did the Shark Week special one year.

They did a shark week Dirty Jobs last year I think.

There is both a new Dirty Jobs and a new Mythbusters next week, I don't know if it's the start of a run of new episodes because my Tivo's guide doesn't go out that far yet.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

I don’t know if it’s the lighting or the camera angles but jesus christ Adam is looking old right now.
I thought the same thing - especially when he removed his hat.

This viewers special is actually pretty good. That sound the CRV made when he tried to slam it into reverse at 50 was horrible (and hilarious).

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

Could be, could be my tivo is just hosed up or something. But the fact that it's only happening on Discovery Channel shows that first aired this week and nothing else makes me think something's up. Old reruns of Mythbusters etc don't get this.

This is what's happening:
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj1.jpg
http://www.notonefreename.com/pics/dj2.jpg

It's not like it'd take me a week or more to watch them, and I don't really care that I can't copy it off the DVR, but I don't like prepaying $300 for a big chunk of tivo service to have them suddenly start implementing a bunch of DRM nonsense.
Have you checked the Tivo community forums at all?

My Series 2 Tivo is not doing this. I just went and recovered this week's new Mythbusters (I had deleted it) and it let me set it to "Keep until I delete". I could set Survivorman and Going Tribal for the same retention setting (I hadn't deleted those yet since I haven't watched them).

Who is your cable provider? I have Comcast. I know the cable companies can set the broadcast flag for network shows (without the network doing it network-wide), so maybe your cable company accidentally set the broadcast flag for Discovery (if that's possible).

If it's a Tivo-wide issue, the Tivo Community forums should have something about it. The only other thing I can think of would be if you're recording off the Discovery high-definition simulcast channel and they may have the broadcast flag set for that and not for the SD channel (I'm wondering if that's not the case because it sounds like maybe you have a Series 3/TivoHD)

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

It's a series 2 on comcast digital and no HD anything.

It looks like it's happening to absolutely everything on Discovery. I'm going to guess that my cable box is a piece of poo poo (which I already knew) and try analog. Digital costs too much anyway.

edit: Yup, swapping over to analog fixed it. Yet another incident in a long, long line of comcast and comcast related hardware sucking rear end. :argh:
For what it's worth, my Comcast analog cable looks fine coming through my Tivo, although I have terrible eyesight and a small 27" TV. I find no value in digital since I don't want VOD/PPV/music channels.

It must be Comcast sending the broadcast flag then, at least I hope it is. If it's not, then it means Discovery will probably strong-arm Tivo into using it too.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

KRSNA posted:

I'm really liking the new season of Survivorman, and I'm glad it's no longer a once-a-week show on the Science Channel. Seems like Les is getting a lot of play on Discovery since Bear Grylls was exposed as a phoney. I haven't seen a re-run of Man vs. Wild for weeks.

Edit: I'm still wondering what happened to his sled dogs in the Labrador episode, he got flown out, but what became of the dogs?
They're not showing Survivorman on Discovery now because Bear was "exposed as a phoney" - they used to air edited down, 30 minute episodes of Survivorman on Discovery (before Man vs. Wild was even on the network) and they were popular enough they brought over the 1 hour versions from Season 1 and 2.

There's no new episode of Man vs. Wild because it's between seasons right now. Discovery airs their shows on a weird schedule so they have new episodes all throughout the year.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

Oh gently caress you myth busters. They are doing the are visiting episodes where they look back at myths. Right now they are looking back at the myth that Ninjas could catch a speeding arrow out of the air. Now this has been proven on Ripplys believe it or not, other Tv programs and countless books that a lot of karate masters can grab a arrow.

Now do they do this myth? Nope it seems the fans that go to the myth busters site think a ninja can swat away a 9mm bullet…..what the hell myth busters?

Much more and I am going to stop watching the show.
I guess a fan sent this one in. I think anyone who actually believes this is possible should be forced to demonstrate it themselves. This whole thing just seems like a waste of the build teams time.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I was glad they revisited the speed-camera myth. I admit I was one of those people who thought the height of the camera made a difference (although I didn't write into the show about it). Where I used to work, a guy had one of those bubble plate blockers and just from the parking lot it looked like it would work from above, but not at the height they had the original camera mounted.

I never expected anything else to work but it was good to see them revisit it.

I'd like to see them do more RFID myths (like stealing credit card info from afar) but I don't know if they'd be able to make that interesting enough.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Free Market Gravy posted:

Same here, particularly the "film" that did distort the plate based on the angle. I never bothered to really think about it or suggest a revisit, though, because while I knew a different angle would make a difference, if it actually distorted the plate, it would have been outlawed and not be commercially available.
Sort of on the same subject, I saw a pimped out Cadillac one day that had some sort of cover over the plate that blocked out 50% of the plate depending on what angle you were looking at it. I was behind the car and could only read the three digits on one side, when it merged to the left lane I could read the other side.

Also, for those fans of Cash Cab, the host played a small part on an episode if The Knights of Prosperity (canceled ABC sitcom that was actually pretty funny). They have full episodes online, here's the show's website:

http://abc.go.com/primetime/theknightsofprosperity/index

The episode was titled "Operation: Ralph"

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Ogresmash posted:

Is this parody show new or did I miss it when it originally aired? Some of this stuff is actually pretty loving funny.
It's a repeat, but I think they're planning on a new one. On either Mythbusters or Dirty Jobs, the hosts were asking for parody videos.

The Deadliest Catch spoof where they're making cookies was hilarious.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Bumping this because it seems like there are new episodes of Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, and Man vs. Wild (I know, I know) on Discovery now.

In addition, they're going to be airing "Everest: Beyond the Limit" starting next week. It looks like it might actually be a new series (the date in my Tivo guide is 2007), but even if it's the original series, it's very cool and you should check it out. It will be shown in HD on the Discovery HD simulcast channel too if you get that.

They're also going to reair Planet Earth starting November 11th, so it looks like a good set of programming coming up on Discovery Channel.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I just watched Man vs. Wild and they're definitely doing things slightly differently this time. Bear mentions the crew several times and once you see them actually hand him a camera.

There was also a scene where they "find" a cobra and in the voiceover, Bear explains that encountering one is pretty rare and this one was brought in to show people what to do. I thought that was pretty good - they could have very easily left that out and people who don't know any different (like me) would think the place is swimming with cobras.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

IRQ posted:

When did the new season of Man v Wild start up?
Last Friday at 9 - I actually thought it was an old episode (The Sahara), but it turns out I was remembering the Survivorman episode.

It's actually a two-parter., next week's episode looks pretty cool/disgusting. The preview clip showed him in a gutted camel, first pulling something green out of the body cavity and squeezing the liquid out of it to drink, then climbing inside the gutted carcass to get out of the sun

I'm going to make sure to watch it on an empty stomach.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Butthole Prince posted:

Is this "Everest" show worth watching, overall? I've seen it in the lineups a few times, but never really watched much of it. The whole Everest thing is pretty interesting to me, but from what I saw of the show, it seemed kind of drawn out and slow-paced.
The first season was pretty interesting - however I missed the start of this season and have only seen about 10 minutes of one episode. I'm waiting for a marathon to catch them all. Check out the first season if they ever re-air it, it looked like at least one of the climbers was re-attempting it for the second season.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

TLG James posted:

I'm digging the new style of Man vs wild. He looks like he's trying to keep it more "real" and realistic. Also 2 episode adventures are awesome.

I like it better too - especially the parts where he works with the natives. So far it's only happened in two locations but I hope it's a staple of the show from here on out. I loved "Going Tribal" and seeing Bear learning survival techniques from the locals is a nice touch.

On the subject of Everest and Tim, if you missed the first season he very nearly died on the mountain because he refused to turn around and give up on his summit attempt. They were in the dead zone and he thought he was close enough to make it and wouldn't stop advancing - despite the fact that he had to rest every half a step. They said the altitude and lack of oxygen can really play havoc with your mind and your reasoning skills, but it really looked like the sherpa were going to have to leave him there to die. After a lot of convincing he finally turned back. The French guy he was with (who had beaten cancer) ended up losing a bunch of fingers. The French guy also refused to turn back - I honestly thought he had planned to die on the mountain but at the last minute he turned back and came down.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Butthole Prince posted:

That's an interesting story about that incident in the first season. I also read that the Discovery crew may have been around and/or filmed footage of a climber that was attempting a solo ascent and had crawled under a small cliff where he slowly died, and there was some controversy about how no one (apparently) helped him. Was that in season one?

Sherpas are pretty amazing. What's crazy to me is how some people struggle so much on the ascents, even with oxygen, yet there are those who can do it without any oxygen at all.

Yes, that happened in Season One. Here's what I remember there was a climber on Russell's expedition that went before everyone else and on the way down he encountered a climber who was in trouble. He tried to help him and even gave him some oxygen I think, but the guy was beyond the help that one (novice) climber could give. He radioed base camp and Russell told him that there was no way they could rescue him without even more people dying, so the climber just left him. The guy was pretty distraught about it. Several other people passed him with the same conclusion. There's a short bit about it in the Everest Wikipedia article if you want to read a little more. According to the article, since that guy was attempting a solo climb he had zero margin for error so there wasn't really any way to save him.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Has anyone been watching Mythbusters lately? I have two words for you:

MacGyver Special

They're doing "mini MacGyver myths" during the commercial breaks of the new episodes airing now, but apparently there is a whole show in the works. Also, Jamie has the mullet wig, so it should be awesome.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

A lot of these shows should have their own threads, but I don't think anybody wants to make them.

The strange broadcasting schedule of the Discovery shows makes it hard to maintain threads for each of the shows. There was a Mythbusters thread once, but after a break it fell into the archives and then no one made a new thread for when they started making new episodes. That's why I went with the megathread format.

As far as the plane on a treadmill thing, maybe they saved it for the viewer's special?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

max4me posted:

I watch weapon masters with my friend the other night and it was awful. They padded it. How many shows do you see them doing this? there is a voice over explaining something, then the host/s (who most likely did the voice over) looks at you and explains it again. Then they do it again. Its like when you were in school and had to stretch a report to 2500 words and just kept thinking of new ways to repeat your self.
[...]

Also thought mondern marvels was running out of ideas when they did "water" soon they will have to do one on sex toys
Discovery has been padding their shows for a long time now. Fox does it too with their reality shows (like Hell's Kitchen). Fox will do a short "preview" before commercial, then recap what just happened when they come back from commercial. At least Discovery only does the "coming up..."

As far as the modern marvels thing that, you might be surprised about some of the episodes covering things like water. Some of the more interesting episodes I saw were about things that sounded really boring and benign.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Looks like they're showing a few new Mythbusters episodes now. The James Bond special is this week - there is a Macgyver special too, but I'm not sure when that is airing.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I fell asleep last night during the middle of the Mythbusters James Bond special, so I caught the rest of it tonight. It was sort of underwhelming, they only did three myths - does the magnet watch really deflect a bullet, will shooting a propane cylinder blow it up, and can they recreate the jump from Live and Let Die.

The boat "myth" wasn't really all that interesting to me, because they actually did it for the movie (I think they set a world record too), so I knew it was possible. It was cool seeing them remote control something different.

If anyone's curious, I'm 90% sure that the minigun they used was provided by Dillon Aero. They censored Kari saying the company name on the show, probably to keep the "super secret location since this is highly illegal in California" thing going.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Filthy Assistant posted:

I'm surprised I never noticed that before.

Also why the gently caress are they testing Bond myths, of course Jaws could never do any of the poo poo from the movie. Jamie's Cable Cutter costume, however, was awesome.

edit: during one part, was Adam holding Hellboy's Samaritan from the movie?

I think Jamie's business outside of mythbusters is a prop shop, so it could have been one of the movie props.

Fun Bond fact: For the movie, the actor playing Jaws actually did bite through the cable. The cable, however, was made of licorice.

I think next week is the MacGyver special. They could probably get a few shows out of MacGyver myths.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Mythbusters MacGyver Special Tonight at 9pm EST!

I'm hoping it's a good one - they'll probably have enough material that we'll see at least one more MacGyver themed episode, but this is the "season finale" for this run of shows. Like I mentioned in the original post, Discovery tends to air their shows in blocks, so after tonight's episode there won't be any new episodes for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

soggybagel posted:

I thought the Macgyver episode was one of the better episodes in a long time. Then again I love Macgyver so I was probably going to like it no matter what. I don't get why they thought they should build a potato gun though. How would you signal the helicopter...by hitting it?

I have seen every episode of MacGyver and there were several things I didn't recognize from last night. I remember the glider thing and the potassium bomb (that was from the pilot I think), but the lightbulb lockpick and the potato cannon signal I don't remember. I don't remember the film developing thing either, but it sounds like classic MacGyver.

I have a potassium story from when I was growing up - it remains a pretty cool memory for me. My Dad was a high school science teacher and he was cleaning out his chemical supply closet and found some really old potassium packed in jars of mineral oil. It had been there since before he was teaching, which meant it was over 20 years old at the time. Keeping that much potassium in a closet full of other chemicals is highly dangerous and he wanted to get rid of it, so he brought it home.

My parents house has a creek that runs around most of the property so he took us kids back to the creek and explained how potassium works when it reacts with water. He then pulled a potato sized piece out of this really old brown mason jar and chucked it into the water.

It was awesome - it exploded (of course), and the remaining piece flew up in the air, then back into the water and exploded again. This process continued until all the potassium was spent.

He had a couple more pieces that size so he "disposed" of them all the same way. It was awesome - the first explosion was probably as loud as firing a shotgun, each subsequent explosion was smaller but it was still very cool.

• Locked thread