Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Campbell posted:

Dear Bear Gryllis: I DO NOT LIKE YOU!
I was watching one episode where he had to float down some river, and he was definitely wearing a life jacket under his shirt. He climbed out of the water at a low angle (so you couldn't see it) and then, miraculously, it was gone!

I thought Surivivorman was much more interesting :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

headtrip posted:

After the Catch kind of weirds me out a little because the narrator's hubris is creepy as poo poo when he's actually on camera instead of just his voice. It makes him seem a lot more smarmy, or something. With that said, I still enjoy the show but I just get the feeling like the guy doesn't belong at the table.
Mike Rowe?

Mike Rowe is awesome. Mike Rowe is the glue that holds Discovery Channel together, and I will listen to every drat word he has to say.

Seriously though, it's a little weird watching him interact with them directly, but I think part of that is that they're a little weirded out by being there, way out of their normal element. They're just normal guys, and Mike isn't, so he may stick out a bit.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Robot Relations posted:

drat it, I thought the new season of Dirty Jobs started tomorrow night. It's NEXT Tuesday. DISCOVERY CHANNEL :argh:
It's the season finale of Deadliest Catch.. I wanna see if the Time Bandit makes it in to offload before the ice crushes their boat. They played about a 1-second clip at the end of last weeks show with someone (Captain John Hillstrand) yelling 'GET YOUR SURVIVAL SUITS ON!'.

We know at least he survived since he's on 'Deadliest Bar' or whatever that talkshow is afterwards (no hate here for 'deadliest bar' :)).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

That's why I didn't appreciate that show coming on before the season was over. Not that I am morbid or anything, but if anything tragic DID happen, the fact that certain people are there and talking fine and dandy kind of ruins the outcome of things. That's why I haven't watch it yet.
Sorry to spoil it for you then. :(

The other thing that really annoys me is when they show the 'Next week!' right during the last commercial break with 7 minutes left to go or something.

Next week; see the cornelia marie pull in huge pots of crab!
<crew>: WOOOOO YEAH RED GOLD BABY!
Now, back to our show..

<crew>: This <beep> sucks, we are totally off the crab!
Announcer: Will the Cornelia Marie's crew mutiny and keelhaul Phil? Will Phil find crab? Find out next week!

Thanks, Discovery, who the hell plans this crap? :rolleyes:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

They should do an entire show about that pig farm outside Las Vegas with the old dude and everything he owned was covered in rotting food.

Man, that episode made me laugh like none other.. especially the slop cart with the weirdest steering controls known to man.

Oh, and the truck with the back end filled with hot pig slop soup.

fuckin' nasty, but hilarious as all hell.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 20, 2007

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

DurosKlav posted:

Watching this Monkey farm episode of Dirty Jobs that I dont remember ever seeing before. The lady at this place is totally insane and I keep waiting for mike to just tell her to shut the gently caress up.
Yeah, I wanted Mike to just give one of the monkeys a swift boot. I think part of the reason they're so aggressive is because she's allowed them to run the place.

I know it's kind of a rehab clinic.. but.. seriously.

That whole 'cattle fence' thing is actually pretty dangerous, what with the shock running straight through the heart, from one arm to the other. I'd think it might be pretty easy to disrupt the natural heart rhythm, and I think Tori knew that.

I'm not sure if any of you have been shocked like that before (I've been shocked by a horse electric fence, and I think cow fences are even stronger because they're stupider and thicker-skinned), but it really hurts. And you're going to maximize the pain by going arm-to-arm. It also leaves you feeling all wonky inside, like all your insides feel weird and hosed up.. I would have been really pissed too. :(

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Bob Sapp Please posted:

The lion in the fright wig made me lose it.

These deserve their own thread.

link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=vE-IPRlUhGg&mode=related&search=
jesus christ

I would go right back to that hair weave place and demand satisfaction! He simply did not get what he paid for.

"I wanted something in a golden... mane... and you gave me this silly orange.. mess!"

Mike Rowe, you are awesome.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Robot Relations posted:

Yeah, I got shocked by a horse fence when I was younger on a relative's farm and it really does feel like you're getting hit right in the chest with a sledgehammer. And that's not even 10,000 volts. As far as I know, it's the amps that determine lethality, but gently caress that, any sort of electricity running through the body is loving dangerous as poo poo.
Yeah, not to mention Kary's stupid grin. She's cute, but sometimes man she gets on my nerves. :mad:

Yeah, I think typically the amps are what make the difference. I did some checking and the first response on ebay for a cattle charger was 8,000 volts capable of transmitting over 50 miles of fence. I think the one they used was less powerful than that though.

Capn Beeb posted:

I took a cattle fence down the length of my spine in high school. I had on a leather jacket at the time, which I think really helped to lessen the blow. But you're absolutely right, you just don't feel proper. My limbs felt all floaty and like I wasn't in control of them completely. I can only imagine grabbing on to one of the drat things.
Length of the spine, eh? Climbing through the fence? :)

Yeah, it hurts when you first do it, but for me (I've been shocked a bunch, used to live on a horse farm), the worst is the 'insides all hosed up' feeling afterwards which can last for a few hours.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

On most of those cattle fence charger things, cant you select how much power you have going through them?
Every one that I had interaction with was either on or off, and you buy them based on how much you want and how far you have to transmit it.

It's probably an option on some of the higher end ones, but since they're designed for livestock, I think it's kind of a "when we use this voltage range, we get the right reactions".

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jesus H. Megaman posted:

I have Everest set up on my DVR and watch it each week (I think it comes on Tuesdays). It's actually a really interesting show. The first few episodes get you to the point of liking the people involved and the rest have you wondering if they're going to die on the mountain. It's incredible to watch someone apathetically die because oxygen deprivation is taking its toll.

If you plan on watching a marathon have your remote handy for fast forwarding. There's a woman in the first few episodes that looks like Willem DaFoe...without makeup.

:barf:
I was thinking her face was so leathery that she looks like one of those folks they fish out of the peat bogs in Europe.. but I'll accept Willam Dafoe, too.

This season is actually pretty awesome so far, I mean, it's a little drawn out, but they have a guy from the UK and the head sherpa doing the first ever dual summit within a 10-day window. Up the north side, down the south side, camp out and recouperate, and then back up the south, and back down the north side.

Also, Mogens the asthmatic (trying to summit without supplementary oxygen, tough in it's own right) and Tim with the rebuilt knee, back and foot are both back to try their hands again.

I just love this show because it's such a monumental undertaking, and it's such serious business up there. See a hiker dying on the side of the trail? You can walk passed them and live, or try to help them, and probably die (both of you). Some crazy poo poo.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Jesus H. Megaman posted:

That head sherpa is a certified bad rear end. I hope nothing happens to him since he's never set foot on the south side of the mountain.
Agreed on both counts. Not only hiking the summit like 10 times, but they're up there doing work for christs sake.. Not climbing to say they climbed, climbing to help everyone else climb. Plus, it never ceases to amaze me how fast they can climb when they hear someones in trouble.

Subotai posted:

Anyone else think that Tim in that Everest show is super annoying? He seems like he would be a stereotype for what every country thinks as a big dumb obnoxious American. Ugh.
Definitely.

Loud
Tall
Obnoxious
Pig-headed
anti-authority
rides a harley or whatever
complainy
and my favorite line from the previews of this week: "man, if we were back in LA, and he was talking to me like that, he'd be on his rear end!"

thanks Tim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

On the subject of Everest and Tim, if you missed the first season he very nearly died on the mountain because he refused to turn around and give up on his summit attempt. They were in the dead zone and he thought he was close enough to make it and wouldn't stop advancing - despite the fact that he had to rest every half a step. They said the altitude and lack of oxygen can really play havoc with your mind and your reasoning skills, but it really looked like the sherpa were going to have to leave him there to die. After a lot of convincing he finally turned back. The French guy he was with (who had beaten cancer) ended up losing a bunch of fingers. The French guy also refused to turn back - I honestly thought he had planned to die on the mountain but at the last minute he turned back and came down.
Indeed, I do recall. I think mostly it was that he was going to run out of oxygen on the descent through the deathzone, which would ultimately mean just that. My favorite part of last season was the loving SHERPA carrying the double-amputee down the goddamn mountain. CARRYING A MAN DOWN EVEREST ON HIS BACK. Jesus christ.

Also, this is a huge awesome picture I stumbled on of everest. Click for full size (big)

• Locked thread