Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

So is Discovery HD ever going to have HD Mythbusters? I know they're filming it in HD, I just know it :smith:

As for Jamie possibly being some sort of ex spec-ops spook guy, he sure forgets to lean into his shots. The exploding truck tire myth especially, a 12 gauge slug doesn't kick that hard, but he made it look like someone shoved the gun into his shoulder. Ouch :(

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

Once you know what happens you can rewatch it and see how tense everyone is.

Wow, yeah. It's been a while since I saw that one, Tori really really wanted to put a stop to it. I know none of them did and tried to play along, but it's obvious that something was wrong.

OH HAY YOU JUST APPROACH THE IDOL AND LOOK INTO THE EYES OF GOD GIGGLE GIGGLE :j:

You guys didn't hook up the electric fence generator to this thing right? :raise:
<nervous laughter> uh... :smith:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

I'm not sure if any of you have been shocked like that before (I've been shocked by a horse electric fence, and I think cow fences are even stronger because they're stupider and thicker-skinned), but it really hurts. And you're going to maximize the pain by going arm-to-arm. It also leaves you feeling all wonky inside, like all your insides feel weird and hosed up.. I would have been really pissed too. :(

I took a cattle fence down the length of my spine in high school. I had on a leather jacket at the time, which I think really helped to lessen the blow. But you're absolutely right, you just don't feel proper. My limbs felt all floaty and like I wasn't in control of them completely. I can only imagine grabbing on to one of the drat things.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Fantastipotamus posted:

Length of the spine, eh? Climbing through the fence? :)

Haha I didn't even try that, I tried to slither under it. Almost made it too, until I had to put myself parallel to the fence. I knew there was no way in hell I could climb through the thing :v:

Also yay mike is back yay! :neckbeard:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Did the "crew hanging around the blueprint table talking about the show" bit on Mythbusters seem really, really scripted to anyone else? The flow of dialogue felt incredibly stale and forced to me. If it was scripted before, it sure didn't feel like it :\

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I was hoping they'd try a .45ACP in the bullet swatting test, seeing as it's fairly slow moving for a bullet (somewhere in the 700-800fps range), rather than just trying bog standard 9mm rounds.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

smackfu posted:

I think they said they were the weakest 9mm they could find.

That they did, but .45ACP is even slower :) Watch this to see how slow it moves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kNH3_cytE

That and tracers are cool :shobon:

As for Jamie having some sort of specops spook background, I would not be the least bit surprised. If not that, then some substantial skeletons in his closet. :tinfoil:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

Why would anyone question the validity of MacGyver's genius? :colbert:

Because he turned into a gross Green Peace hippie, which eventually killed the show. :colbert:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I got more of a Brainiac vibe from the Smash Lab previews than I did of a Mythbusters one.

Also, why is the HD feed for Discovery HD constantly out of synch? I'm on DirecTV and having an actual in synch show is pretty miraculous now :\

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

quote:

Of course, once done, this also meant the boys had manufactured armor piercing bullets, for which they do not possess the appropriate licenses in this sunny state. As such, I supervised their manufacture and took immediate custody of the bullets. I hand delivered them to the Alameda County Sheriff's Office for the evaluation, so there wouldn't be a legal issue. In essence, they were never in true "possession" of the bullets -- all of which were destroyed at ACSO.

I wonder what the result would be if Mythbusters took place somewhere without these goofball laws. Also, why didn't they try taping a road flare or two to a propane tank before using the incendiary stuff? That'll work B)

Edit:

quote:

The secret location is in Arizona, and rhymes with "shmillon."

Haha I loving knew it was Arizona! :D

Beeb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 19, 2008

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Hawkman posted:

Next time, on DethLab: Pickles covers the tour bus in pillows in an attempt to see how many soft things it will take before it is safe to speed through a crowded crosswalk at 60MPH!

(clip of pillow-covered Dethklok tour bus screaming through intersection, body parts fly everywhere)

Nathan: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

This would be much more entertaining than the last few episodes of Metalocalypse, at least. Also I'm sure Nathan's response would be AWWWWWWWWE SOOOOOOOOOOME!

Edit:

Futureweapons has become a bit more tolerable, what with Mack not whispering all the time. poo poo, I think he even laughs now.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

They should make a new Mike Rowe show just called "Jobs."

He's genuinely what makes Dirty Jobs as good as it is anyway, not that the jobs are dirty, so just let him do any old thing. I'd watch.

I'd put Futureweapons on my season pass thing if Mike was hosting it. Instead of popping a HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG TACTIBONER over whatever the show is about, he'd just ask which end to point where and what to pull and have a giant grin on his face after blowing something up.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Another favourite oldie of mine from TLC, the Secret Life of Machines, is available to watch online jesus christ YES :monocle:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/

Do you know if the Military Channel is part of Discovery? I'd love to watch Weaponology online, youtube keeps taking the episode segments down :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I was waiting for Tori to turn around and deck Kari. ARE YOU ANGRY, ARE YOU UPSET, HUH HUH ARE YOU :haw:

:fuckoff:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

They've all been shamed by the white devil taking a hearty poo poo all over their traditions, and have since pursued other things.

Time Warp is loving awesome. I thought I'd be tired of the diet coke + mentos thing but I guess more frames per second make things fun v:shobon:v

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Nice of the Mythbusters crew to point out that .45ACP is slow, and note the difference between shot loads.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Could a production car even manage to stay together at Mach 1 or higher?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Did anyone else notice the scar next to Tori's left eye? At least it looked like a scar to me :ohdear:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

That guy got pro sports AND military contracts out of his gel, good for him :)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

The slow mo gun stuff was pretty cool :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Is Wreckreation Nation done? My DVR hasn't recorded a new episode or a repeat in weeks.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

TL posted:

I really want to like Timewarp, but a lot of what they do seems to be stuff I've already seen on Mythbusters.

Kari not being on Time Warp makes it a bit more watchable.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Why didn't anyone on Mythbusters shoulder the .50? Come on, man up :colbert:

ps someone gimme that TRP .45 they were using for that curve the bullet nonsense

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

XK posted:

I don't understand how anybody can watch Cash Cab, or why it is on Discovery. I've never watched Dangerous Catch, or any related shows, so please tell me Cash Bar is not him dragging one of the Captains over to the bar to ask him trivia questions.

Cash Cab is fun for watching people gently caress up easy questions. Especially when they look like PHIZ rejects and get booted into the rain several blocks from their destination.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

KICK SOME BUTT

I WANT THAT BIKE

MIKE WANT BIKE

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Really hoping we get actual conflict and problems and oh god why am I getting my hopes up

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

I gave up on Mythbusters a while back, but the dive suit failure one is on right now and god drat this is amazing. Why can't the show be this good all the time :(

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I wonder if they all high fived and screamed like idiots when Jessi was let go. I like to think they did.

They probably do that when they open junk mail. I'd take Jessi any day over Kari.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Scarecrow411 posted:

It was nice to see something genuine.

Yep. I wouldn't mind the OH MAN THAT WAS TOTALLY RAD BROOOOOO AHHHHHHH WOOOOOOOOOOOOO if it was actually for something actually worth getting excited about, rather than nearly anything they do.

At least Jessi didn't dress like a colorblind toddler.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 4, 2010

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Maybe paintball guns as real guns or something could've worked.

There's always Simunitions.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

neongrey posted:

And as long as they write word problems for physics tests that involve guns.

No more loving gun myths ever again please.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

You can also increase the effectiveness of some suppressors by running them wet on top of using sub-sonic ammo. Although this varies from company to company.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've been hearing people saying dry and wet in relation to suppressors. Is that jargon, or do you actually mean you dip them in water?

Kinda. A wet suppressor will have water inside of it, usually halfway up in each little expansion chamber between the baffles unless indicated otherwise by the manufacturer to help cool the gasses quicker. Sometimes oils and gels are used as well :)

E:

Just caught the suppressor tests. The 9mm was fired wet, there's a fair amount of liquid coming out of the bore. A comparison between dry and wet would've been pretty cool. Using a .45 was a good idea, considering the majority of .45ACP loadings are subsonic by design :science:

Also shooting a suppressed handgun is fun as all hell :v:

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 14, 2011

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Are people still that interested in sharks? Shark week was kinda cool 10 years ago, now for me it's a reason not to watch discovery for a week.

It's a welcome change from Hicks Doin' Thangs featuring Skinny Guy and Fat Bald Dude shouldering each other on the title card.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

McSpanky posted:

poo poo, if they're gonna do True Lies then they should take a stab at "drop an Uzi down some stairs and have it go off until it runs out of ammo".

haveblue posted:

I would be really interested in learning if it's possible to strike the outside of a gun so hard that it fires, that happens in lots of movies and I have no idea if it's true or not.

That was a MAC-10 :eng101: An original Uzi would have a better chance due to its open bolt design, same for the MAC-10. The Mini, Micro, and civilian carbine Uzi models fire from a closed bolt, so it'd be harder to get them to turn into a runaway gun. It's this reason the ATF really doesn't like open bolt firearms, as you can easily convert them to full auto. Maybe if you filed the sear down to next to nothing it could work, but I really doubt it. It'd be funny though, considering California is super god drat anal about drop testing all firearms :v:

The gun myths are usually some of the best ones on paper, but when executed they're just outright painful to watch. The research department seems to have gone out for lunch, and the only person who seems to know what's up around a firearm is the most accident prone :psyduck: The suppressor tests were cool though, although I would've liked to seen just how much more quieter you could make the shot by using a wet suppressor compared to dry, but that's getting to really high gun nerd levels :v:

Also getting rid of Kari would go a long way to getting me to watch again. Good lord is her poo poo tiresome. Jess was great as not only was she competent, she wasn't constantly blowing her poo poo over the smallest things all OMIGAAAAWD :byodame: like. I know that's more of a production thing but holy poo poo is it aggravating. Same for Adam, really. Burn his hair off again and get him on decaf, something. Anything.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Just popping in to say I miss the hell out of "It Takes a Thief" :smith:

This was an excellent show. Excellent.

Also the frat house episode was hilarious. BRO HE SMASHED YOUR poo poo BRO OHHHH BRAH I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW BRAAAH OOOOH :ssj:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

The Type 94 Nambu is the most recent example I can think of, but that's a case of really poor design.

What can possibly go wrong with having an exposed sear? :downsgun:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Sons of Guns - bullshit

All you need to say about those bonghits, really. :v:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The problem with that "True Lies" myth is that (to my knowledge) guns HAVE to be designed to not go off when dropped.

They do. Even though the MAC-10 fires from an open bolt, you still have to fuss with the internals for it to run away and slamfire on you like it did in the movie. I would guess weld the firing pin to the fully forward position and somehow pin the trigger back. Or use bailing wire, just something that'll stay put. Not sure if you'd have to fiddle with the disconnector, since the goal is to throw down stairs, pew pew pew until click.

It's also why the ATF is super reluctant to allow folks to own open bolt semiautomatic firearms. If you're remotely mechanically smart, you can make a bullethose in an hour or two.

IRQ posted:

I think it was a valid concern with ancient single action guns. In True Lies I'm pretty sure I remember it being an Uzi (not watching the episode yet) and no it could literally never happen there.

It is a concern. For my Single Action Army it is super god drat in big bold rear end letters not advisable to carry it with the hammer down on a live round. So instead you load a chamber, skip a chamber, and load the remaining four. Hammer down on an empty chamber, safe as can be. There's nothing impeding the hammer from moving forward and striking the primer. Modern revolvers negate this via transfer bars connected to the trigger, but even them I'm still shy about loading up a full six, unless I'm going to be shooting immediately.

I know a modern gun can't fire if it takes a spill just so perfectly right in the hammer, at least one from a reputable manufacturer with no substantial internal faults. It's honestly safer to let a loaded gun fall than it is for you to try and grab it.

I haven't watched the show in... god I don't know how long, last thing I saw was using phone booths to up-armor your vehicle. I might have to watch this episode to see what's up.

E:

I say can't fire from a fall, but honestly I should say shouldn't. Parts wear out, planets align, etc.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Jesus christ there is no god drat way I would want to be around any of these people with a hot weapon :cripes:

• Locked thread