Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I'm taking this horrible schedule to mean that the show is in it's final death throws. They just don't know how to break it to the fans. (Because the show is probably at the height of its success.)
Huh? They've done Sunday specials before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I was under the impression that the show was now permanently moved to Sunday night, which aside from the big Earth specials, usually doesn't have much right? I mean they had Storm Chasers for a while, but then that got moved I think?
If it is, I don't think it's the first time Discovery has run a season on Sundays and they're probably doing it to give that Unchained Reaction show a solid lead-in to boost ratings.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

smg77 posted:

Looks like the Cornelia Marie isn't going to be featured at all this season but the Harris brothers are each working as deck hands on different boats.
If I remember correctly, after the shitfest that went on between the first full-time captain after the death of Phil Harris and the Harris boys, the other owner of the Cornelia Marie said she'd never allow the boat to be on another season of the show.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

I don't know, I wouldn't mind it if they did it sort of like Iron Chef and tell the teams your robot must do X, Y, and Z and be made of this pile of crap we've provided.
Today!!! Your robot must be made with!!! FOIE GRAS!!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wormil posted:

Some people literally have no interviewing or hiring skills. I would say it comes down to a general weakness in analytical thinking.
THERE IS NO "SORRY" ON THE BERING SEA!

Keith would do well to remember those words he said when one of his crew members dies after after being seriously injured and he tells them to put a bandage on it and get the gently caress back out on deck or he insists that the crew put down a string of pots in the middle of forty-foot waves.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Welp looks like someone finally gets really hosed up on Keith's boat Tuesday night!

The preview commercial shows him tending to a crew member and calling the Coast Guard.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well it looks like the Wizard crew member that got himself in deep poo poo tonight either went down due to severe dehydration, shock, or a massive seizure. Any one of those three things is a goddamn awful thing to have happen in the middle of the Bering Sea.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

With him saying the side of his body felt tingly, I'm thinking a stroke.

Having a stroke out on a crab boat :gonk:
I'm impressed Kieth didn't tell him to shotgun a handful of Vicodin and get back on deck.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I just watched Kari Byron fart on TV to prove a point. Mythbusters owns sometimes.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

The myth they confirmed by blowing up a car 30 seconds in and going "welp, no more myth, we can't run this on TV!" was great though.
Yeah, that was pretty great, especially since all of the professional scientists the Mythbusters team consulted said there was no way the van would explode.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We talk about Keith is going to get someone on the Wizard killed one of these days, but Elliot on the Rambling Rose is going to get one of his crew members killed this loving season.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I like how after the whole rescue was over the episode focused on Keith's thoughts, he said something to the effect of "I feel so bad. I hired a guy who just couldn't hack it."

Someone should just superglue his rear end to the side of the boat.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well if tonight has cemented anything it's that Elliot really is both the most incompetent captain and the biggest rear end in a top hat in the fleet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Could actually be awesome if they use Sylvester Stallone. Could be a mashup of Over the Top, Cliffhanger, and Daylight! I'd unironically watch it.
You could combine a late 70's movie and a IRT and you get Ice Road Convoy: The Movie.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I noticed that on last night's After the Catch Mike didn't talk to Elliott about getting his rear end reamed by the owner of the boat :laugh:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I was getting a weirdly obsessive vibe from Elliot during the whole series. I dunno, I could see her being justified in thinking he would do something stupid (he's Elliot).
I missed the episode of Deadliest Catch where Elliot visits his kids. What exactly did he do?

And it doesn't surprise me at all that everyone's dumping on him now. gently caress, he's a 27-year-old former cocaine addict with an attitude problem, and he actually got hired to captain a boat?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Important things I learned tonight:

• Elliott Neese called his ex 51 times in two and a half hours and couldn't figure out why that might be used against him to slap a Restraining Order on his rear end

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Every crew member on the Wizard took home $151,000 for the Opilio crab season :psyduck:

I loved Keith's meltdown when he found out that the ice almost carried the Wizard into the beach while Monte was captaining it: "Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Happy loving Birthday to me!"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jake Anderson got married. Good going man :3:

smg77 posted:

Now we know why the crew puts up with Keith year after year.
They caught three million loving pounds of crab in a season disrupted by ice. How in the gently caress...

evilwaldo posted:

THAT FINGER!!!! :psyduck:
It's not very often that something on TV makes me spontaneously yell, but yeah that just made me :stonk:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 25, 2012

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

smg77 posted:

What was up with Jake Harris' face at the wedding? Is he on meth now?
I have a feeling that he's on a long, downward trip.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Elliott's gonna buy his own boat. Good God

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

In many ways. It's obvious that he's not taking care of himself, and his performance on the Northwestern was a joke. I can't see anyone else giving him a pity job on another boat.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh please get Elliott back for next season. He's an even bigger trainwreck than Jake Harris.
The montage they just showed on After The Catch was high-larious:

"Yeah I've got this guy, he's been my friend for a long time."
"I hate working on this loving boat."
"Then there's this other guy. We've been friends for a long time."
"I can't wait for this season to be over."
"I like hiring my friends because we get along pretty well."
"Elliott is a motherfucker."
"So yeah I think we've got a good thing going."
"This boat is a loving joke."

EDIT: Anderson got married and got his Captain's License. He's had himself quite a summer.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Also came here to ask about meth, glad I am not the only one.

I googled Jake Harris meth the day after the season finale, and it turns out that pretty much the whole Internet is thinking the same way we are.

And, just a personal observation but he's got to be addicted to something. If you'll remember back to the shows leading right up to Phil's sudden stroke and death, Jake was having trouble on the Cornelia Marie; he couldn't follow basic orders, he was aloof, he was cocky, he was half-asleep on the job, and he just looked out of it. Then Phil caught Jake stealing Vicodin from his Captain's Quarters and Jake ended up in rehab.

What were Jake's problems aboard the Northwestern? He couldn't follow basic orders, he was aloof, he was cocky, he was half-asleep on the job, and he looked completely disinterested.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Oh my God the Gold Rush fuckers are going to try to mine gold in South America. This is going to be wonderful.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

It's also a widely accepted fact the goods they produce are total loving garbage.

Apparently Family Guns on National Geographic isn't half bad. I just miss Tales of The Gun, back when the History Channel wasn't 50% Hicks Doin' Thangs and 50% Aliens Doin' Hicks.
If half of the History Channel really was aliens having sex with rednecks, I would probably watch it for at least six hours a day.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Am I the only one who thought that Plane Crash last night was really interesting?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This might make me an idiot, but my favorite part of tonight's episode was the Chinese pressure vessel popcorn just because of the result.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Exploder posted:

I mostly watch because of the Northwestern and the Time Bandit. I used to hate the Hillstrands, because I thought they were obnoxiously happy and positive, but I've grown to enjoy their hijinks. Junior is a pretty cool dude too. As much as I hate Elliot, it's fun to hatewatch him. I think it's the trainwreck element that makes Elliot entertaining.

Keith did really well last year, if I recall, so he has a good thing going there. I hope he did go back with Josh, though. Some of the best moments were the interactions between Freddy and the Harris boys.
One of my favorite moments from last season was Elliott not being able to understand why calling his ex no less than 51 times in two days might be grounds for a Restraining Order.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So a bank, an actual live bank, gave Elliott Neese one point five million dollars to buy a boat. What the gently caress.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Elliot Neese seems like the kind of guy that if you had it, you'd give 1.5 million dollars just make him go away. I can only assume that is what happened.
No. It's much better than that.

Remember the episode of Deadliest Catch last season where Elliott decided to take a nap in the middle of the night and let one of his loving Greenhorns pilot (or whatever you call it) the boat, only for the Greenhorn to immediately fall asleep for 90 minutes and then wake up just in time for the Ramblin' Rose to run full speed into an iceflow? Well, the owner saw that episode when it aired on Discovery and basically told Elliott to gently caress off and never touch his boat again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Also, some ships have two guys that can run things like Andy and Jonathan or Keith and Monte. Didn't Elliot completely hate his crew, too?
And Elliott's crew hated him right back.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Man, I'm really rooting hard for Josh. Kid just can't catch a break with the huge albatross of his brother hanging around his neck
Jake's facial sores are HAWT!!!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

evilwaldo posted:

You get the impression that there is a weird subculture that you not only have to earn it through work but pry it out of the previous generations hands.
True, but from the sounds of last night's Time Bandit special the Hillstrands' father was an incredible rear end in a top hat even by Bering Sea standards.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I believe Jonathan let it slip in an interview that Josh has successfully bought back the Cornelia
Hopefully without Jake around to gently caress it up and turn the boat into a floating meth lab.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Did Dirty Jobs get cancelled? I haven't seen it on TV in a long time.

Dirty Jobs is awesome :(
They cancelled it last December so we could see more Moonshiners and Amish Mafia.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Well Scott Campbell has sure turned out to be a cock :stare:

And Jake Anderson is going insane.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's shows like the IndyCar special that make me feel jealous. Okay they're going to test IndyC WHAT THEY GET TO DRIVE THEM NO loving FAIR

Also, drat Grant is skinny.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 23, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just heard the greatest quote from Random Acts of Science: "When you get science and stupidity in the same place, they are a match made in heaven."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wooten posted:

Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Carl Young from Team Twistex were all killed by a tornado on Friday night. Really sad, especially considering they were the only team on Storm Chasers that was really interested in science. I really always thought it would be Reed. :smith:
My favorite Reed Timmer moment was when he ordered one of his crew members to stay home for a chase, basically so he could impress a woman.

haveblue posted:

And the TV crew might also have been killed, who knows what could have happened.
Given the state their vehicle was in after the tornado (there's a picture of the wreckage of the Twistex on Facebook) I have little doubt that a TV crew would have perished as well.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Exploder posted:

Yeah, I think it was mentioned in the last episode that there are 60 boats and 240 workers in the entire fleet. So how does something like that go unnoticed and kept secret in such a small community? And from what I understand, the Harris family is very well respected among them. If you're going to steal from anybody in Dutch Harbor, you wouldn't think they would steal from Josh Harris.
I think that at this point the only things you can steal from Josh Harris are meth and more meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Reminder: Elliott Neese once called, and left messages for, his ex 51 times in two days and was SHOCKED that she would use that as the basis for a restraining order.

• Locked thread