Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Given this report by Most Trusted Name In News (NY POST), Les clearly wins.

quote:

SURVIVALIST CHARGED WITH CUSHY SHORTCUTS

By DON KAPLAN

July 24, 2007 -- Discovery Channel he-man Bear Grylls, the host of the survival-skills show "Man vs. Wild," is barely the man he seems to be on TV.

On the program, Grylls appears to camp out in quickly-built shelters deep in the wilderness while battling hypothermia and dehydration. But when the cameras stop rolling, Grylls has actually moved to luxurious hotels.

In the last two seasons, he and producers have contrived other scenes to make it appear as if Grylls is more skilled than he really is, a consultant for the show told The Times of London.

"If you really believe everything happens the way it is shown on TV, you are being a little bit naive," said Mark Weinert, an Oregon-based survival consultant, who said producers hired him as an adviser for the show.

Discovery Channel officials declined to comment, but in the U.K., where the show airs with the title "Born Survivor," stunned network officials at Channel 4 said they are conducting an internal investigation.

"Discovery Communications has learned that isolated elements of the 'Man vs. Wild' show in some episodes were not natural to the environment, and that for health and safety concerns the crew and host received some survival assistance while in the field," a spokeswoman for the network said.

"Moving forward the program will be 100 percent transparent and all elements of the filming will be explained up-front to our viewers. In addition, shows that are to be repeated will be edited appropriately."

According to Weinert, while filming in California's Sierra Nevada mountains - an episode in which Grylls, 33, is seen biting off the head of a snake for breakfast - Grylls actually spent some nights with the show's crew in a lodge outfitted with television, stone fireplaces, hot tubs and Internet access.

The Pines Resort at Bass Lake is advertised as "a cozy getaway for families" and is a luxurious hotel with its own spa on a lake.

In another instance, where Grylls was supposed to be surviving on a desert island, he was actually in Hawaii and spent nights at a motel, Weinert said.

The same episode had Grylls building a Polynesian-style raft using only materials around him, including bamboo, hibiscus twine and palm leaves for a sail. Weinert said he actually led a team of builders to construct the raft.

It was then taken apart so that Grylls could be shown building it on camera.

In another episode, viewers watched as Grylls tried to coax what seemed like a wild mustang into a lasso in the Sierra Nevada.

"I'm in luck," he told viewers, apparently coming across four wild horses grazing in a meadow. "A chance to use an old Native American mode of transport comes my way. This is one of the few places in the whole of the U.S. where horses still roam wild."

In fact, Weinert said, the horses were not wild but were brought in by trailer.

This would be like if Mike Rowe wasn't actually getting dirty, and it's all been fake Hollywood poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

IRQ posted:

That's worse than the loving Daily Mail.

Yes, that would have been sarcasm on my part.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Just read about Deadliest Catch. It was one of my favorite shows, but with Phil dead and the Time Bandit and Northwestern gone, that just leaves Captain Dipshit on the Wizard and a fleet comprised of the fifth boat they always throw in as an after thought and that no one cares about. Time to remove the old girl from the DVR.

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
I respected Keith a lot more in previous seasons. Last couple years, though, he's just throwing people off his boat and setting pots in other boats lanes. And what's his big drama? Will he quit chewing for his daughter???

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.

Timby posted:

Sig and the Hillstrands are back on Deadliest Catch, according to TMZ.

Saw this, did my happy dance.

• Locked thread