Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Darth Freddy posted:

Nice to see timewarp is now just stealing ideas from the myth busters.

I really want to like Timewarp, but a lot of what they do seems to be stuff I've already seen on Mythbusters. And after the truck on the rocket sled from earlier this season, I can't think of anything cooler to see in high speed.

And feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but was this past week Buster's first appearance of the season? I missed the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Chef Tony posted:

Mike Rowe needs to release a DVD where he's sitting by a fireplace reading Christmas stories with his sexy man voice. I could fall asleep to that. Not gay.

I'd listen to Mike Rowe read the phone book, his voice is so goddamn cool. If you ever hear him on radio shows, he comes across like such a cool guy.

I'm somewhat surprised that the ad wizards at Discovery haven't had him help out with the dirty job of Mythbusting yet.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Also, the new chick is way cuter than Kari. And she seems useful. And isn't a spaz.

Jessi is completely freaking adorable. I want to reach through the TV and give her a big hug whenever she's on.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mike McC posted:

If you guys haven't, go and search YouTube for old clips of QVC when Mike Rowe was a personality/salesman on there.

"It's a bag for your cat".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neito posted:

The RFID one is the more popular. The way he described it, Tory almost shat himself.

What happened with that? I remember them calling a credit card company and pretty much being told there's nothing to say and a vague threat to sue the pants off of them if they did it, but I don't remember the thing with Tory.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember Mike Rowe going on Opie and Anthony and explaining that they also did the sheep castration with the knife, and that the sheep's bleeding was prolonged and it took a few days to recover. With the teeth, they bled for a couple seconds that got up and walked around like nothing happened.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

-Atom- posted:

Even better, the build team segments are absolutely terrible.

I won't go so far as to say they're terrible, but I greatly prefer Adam's and Jamie's segments. Problem is, this past season the build team got way cooler myths that I'd much rather have seen Adam and Jamie tackle.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

qirex posted:

The see-saw one where the whole team worked together was by far my favorite episode of the last few years.

That episode was terrific. And, to the build team's credit, the meat man thing was probably the coolest myth they did this entire season.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

iastudent posted:

I keep wondering the same thing as for why they replaced Mike with Ben Bailey for After The Catch last season, unless Mike was involved with other projects at the time.

In fairness, they could have done a lot worse then Ben Bailey. He's now Mike Rowe, but he's fine.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think those were just the simulaids. They're more like flexible mannequins with correct weighting to simulate human mass than an actual crash test dummy. They also don't have the heavy interior joints to withstand impacts.

By now, they probably get a massive discount on buying them to the point where it's just cheaper to use them rather than deal with Buster constantly falling apart.

Plus I'm certain they still have O.G. Buster's face lying around that they can put on any dummy that needs to be Buster that day.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

badjohny posted:

I think in a few episodes they have shown people donating cars to them. The old black caddy and some old smaller car were definitely given to them for free.

I love that they named the Caddy Earl. I love when people name cars in general. I also liked a behind the scenes video I saw where Jamie introduced us to his forklift, Raymond.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Neck Man reminded me of Oocoo from the last Zelda game:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone else notice during that Mythbusters countdown the bumper showing the "polish a turd" myth? Remember how much Adam and Jamie danced around using the phrase "turd" and this promo just came out and said it. Struck me as very odd.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

Clip show? Balls.

Is there any new footage or should I just tell my DVR not to bother getting it?

Don't bother, it's all old.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

I want to say Adam has also mentioned wanting to do Monster Cable but it got vetoed.

What's that one?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Strange Matter posted:

The Meatman episode of Mythbusters was on the other night.

I'm stunned Discover chose to show that in full. That was horrifying.

I saw the "Dumpster Diving" episode coming up on my DVR and almost didn't record it because I remembered the dumpster things being kinda dull, but I vaguely remembered the Build Team had a good myth. That might have been the best myth that the Build Team has ever done.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well they do have standards.... We know they don't do cannibalism.*
*Yes. An episode of Mythbusters inadvertently involved cannibalism. Who knew mice would eat other mice?

Thanks to Discovery, though, that episode will NEVER see the light of day.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fire Storm posted:

If I am remembering the Q&A where Adam mentioned the experiment, it was the eating cardboard one.

That's what I was thinking of too. I don't remember any implied mouse cannibalism in the soda can episode.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing that got me that I didn't notice the first time I saw the Meatman episode was the blood gushing out from between Meatman's teeth.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sounds like I didn't miss much tonight. However, I'm positively giddy at the prospect of them testing poo poo hitting the fan next week.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

FogHelmut posted:

Considering this show's fanbase, I can imagine there will be a ton of creepy screenshots of Kari's feet on the internet.

The feet if we're lucky. I shudder to think what people will do with the POV shot from the puke bowl.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

haveblue posted:

Her name was Jesse and she had been on the show much earlier in its run before Kari joined at all.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Scottie. Jessie was only around while Kari was on maternity leave-IIRC, Kari was on like the second episode of Mythbusters.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

On second thought if that whole episode was so disorientating why the hell didn't he grab the dam handle to the door while waiting for it to go down.

When they first did the underwater car, they learned that he couldn't open the door until the car completely filled up and the pressure inside and outside the car equalized. Even if he tried, he'd be needlessly using up oxygen and energy.

Underwater Car is probably my favorite myth and this last week's episode was loving crazy. I'd never have the balls to do what Adam did.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I don't know what you guys think, but this duct tape special has sort of owned so far. No B team (although I do like them), plus you get to see Jamie try to surf on a board made of duct tape.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried Unchained Reactions but I had a really hard time getting into it. Maybe if the guy that Adam and Jamie has supervising had more of a personality, or if Adam and Jamie were each leading a team, but as is it just seems really dull.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

ToastyPotato posted:

I foresee a "house" segment as well, unfortunately, even though I am not sure how that would work since most bots are run by teams?

Simple solution: have the robots all live together!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Jamie sounded like he had a really bad cold last night.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
There's something really wrong about MythBusters doing a myth from Die Another Day.

On the other hand, they're wrapping Adam in bubble wrap and throwing him off a building.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
The hot water heater explosions were some of my favorite segments they've ever done on Mythbusters. Something about seeing it take off like a rocket makes me very. very happy.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
When I first started watching, part of me thought Jamie and Adam were a couple. I'm kinda disappointed that they actually aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

It was also kind of funny how they had a whole bit about how hard it was to get the first one and then all of a sudden they were able to get a second one in one day.

I'm sure they had them both lined up already.

• Locked thread