Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Directed by: Scott Frank
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Matthew Goode

I stink at writing but here it goes.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt (of 3rd Rock from the Sun fame) stars as a formerly young, bright, athletic guy who loses 2 of his best friends in a horrible auto accident. Due to this accident, he comes out of the accident with diminished mental abilities(not retarded, just slow at some things, memory loss). He takes a job at a bank, is involved in a bank heist.

This is one of the most interesting movies I have seen in a long time, you think you know what is going to happen but then something changes. Other people have said it is like Fargo without the humor, I would have to agree. The characters, especially the bank manager and night time security guard act and talk like they came straight out of that movie.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Many twists and turns in the storyline, you can't figure out what is going to happen next.
CONS: Some plot holes, but this is with all movies

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427470/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I thought it was good, but not OH MY GOD CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW AWESOME THAT WAS good. I think people are hyping it a bit too much.

4.5/5

TheCreeper
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah...
I go down.
IMO, Jeff Daniels' character is what made this movie enjoyable.

Four outta five for me.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I thought this was really just middle of the road. Nothing stood out to me as a great performance, but there were no major problems. The ending was a little lackluster for me, though it was refreshing that it strayed from the now typical "twist formula" of plenty of recent films.

3/5

soupb
Jul 21, 2001

by angerbot
An enjoyable movie, but stumbled with the:

-stupid action sequences
-bad acting (as well as bad accents)
-cliched "intimidating guy wearing sunglasses" characters

The main character was sympathetic thanks to JGL's acting. You would not watch this for the bank robbery, you would watch this because you want to see a mildly entertaining movie with a couple of poignant moments. At the beginning I thought it would be slow, thoughtful and in-depth character exploration but towards the end it focused more on "suspense" and a money/hostage situation.

My favourite part was "I thought I was good looking".

3/5

Sir Lancelot
Aug 2, 2004

In these times its probably not a good thing that i hold a job easily replaced by a Lamppost.
I really loved this movie, it was really refreshing. It had some great characters and was very well acted and directed.
5/5

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004
Surprisingly good film, Gordon-Levitt and Daniels fit together very well, and Gordon-Levitt's performance is stunning.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
I saw this on DVD, having not been too impressed with the trailers. But after I saw Brick (another Gordon-Levitt crime movie), and loved it, I figured I should give it a try. I was not at all disappointed. The similarities to Fargo (setting, crime, bad guys) are there, but the main character, and Gordon-Levitt's performance, is what makes the difference.

This is a young man who thought he had the world at his fingertips, and we get little hints that perhaps he was not that good a person before the accident that damaged his brain. At any rate, although he repeatedly tells people he wants to go back to the way it was, (one of the villains snakily promises him that even though he can't, he can at least buy the benefits of doing so), the fact is that our picture of him before the accident is that he was, at best, a mediocre human being. In the end he does what he does because of what he's lost, not because of what he wants to gain. That makes this movie a standout, and very different from Fargo on every level.

4/5 - and Gordon-Levitt will be back. He is one of the best young actors working today.