Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Yossarko posted:

Do you have the latest version (with the InvalidOperationException catches) so I can try it out on the server ?

Thanks
Yes I do. Sorry I'm lagging a bit. When I get back home, I will upload them. Look for this post to be edited with a link.

Edit: Uploaded. I compiled it into debugging mode so it should trap any. I also changed the time to every 20 mins. If/when any errors show up, paste screencaps. Program will also write to the text file should it occur then.

JediGandalf fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resolution
Jun 10, 2001
Can someone port the "Compound" app from Windows to OS X.4? That would be really helpful.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

http://yossarko.com/atom/img/error.png

An error still pops up. It must be because this is running on a lovely PII, 400mhz Zenith Powermate and probably lacks some processor function .NET needs. Don't worry too much about it, I don't want you spending too much time on it, it's already great that you made me this.

:)

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Yossarko posted:

http://yossarko.com/atom/img/error.png

An error still pops up. It must be because this is running on a lovely PII, 400mhz Zenith Powermate and probably lacks some processor function .NET needs. Don't worry too much about it, I don't want you spending too much time on it, it's already great that you made me this.

:)
Grrr .NET :argh:

I'll still try to hack away at it. I'm currently unemployed :smith: so I have a lot of free time. Unfortunately, I don't know what is causing the exception to be thrown. I did include the source so anyone else is free to take a crack at it.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

JediGandalf posted:

Grrr .NET :argh:

I'll still try to hack away at it. I'm currently unemployed :smith: so I have a lot of free time. Unfortunately, I don't know what is causing the exception to be thrown. I did include the source so anyone else is free to take a crack at it.

If I were you I'd at least put in some try catch blocks around everything in MainForm_Load and updateTimer_Tick and pop up a message box with the exception message and the source so you can see where the app is throwing them. I often have a minimal logging class that dumps that info (and anything else relevant) into a text file that people can send me.

Just a suggestion, it seems to run properly for me, although I would use WriteLine for the stats.txt and the OK button on the Preferences form needs to have the DialogResult set to OK, because it's not doing anything right now.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Perhaps this is impossible, but I've yet to see a real time bandwidth monitor (network traffic) with a decent refresh rate. Task manager and other similar monitoring applications do the job, but I'd like to have a little app that shows what bandwidth (up / down) I am using at any time, and have it update as frequently as possible.

Any way this could be done?

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
The inner child of my soul was repeatedly gangbanged by a team of mall Santas.
Is there a program that could get the name of the process in the foreground? If you tskill a locked up process, it will close immediately. But, if you Ctrl+Alt+Delete it, it sometimes takes a long time before it closes. What I want to do is bind a program to one of the extra keys on my keyboard, where the program tskill's the process in the foreground.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

DLCinferno posted:

If I were you I'd at least put in some try catch blocks around everything in MainForm_Load and updateTimer_Tick and pop up a message box with the exception message and the source so you can see where the app is throwing them. I often have a minimal logging class that dumps that info (and anything else relevant) into a text file that people can send me.

Just a suggestion, it seems to run properly for me, although I would use WriteLine for the stats.txt and the OK button on the Preferences form needs to have the DialogResult set to OK, because it's not doing anything right now.
Oooh. Good idea. I did implement the DialogResult notion (I thought I did that though :confused:) and threw try/catch (InvalidOperationException) almost everywhere.

Updated

Olzi
Oct 25, 2006
-nt-

Ramzi posted:

Is there a program that could get the name of the process in the foreground? If you tskill a locked up process, it will close immediately. But, if you Ctrl+Alt+Delete it, it sometimes takes a long time before it closes. What I want to do is bind a program to one of the extra keys on my keyboard, where the program tskill's the process in the foreground.

Here you go:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/oltzi/foregroundkill.zip

Couple of simple API calls, 9 lines of code in total. :)

Oh, and it really does kill the foreground window, whatever it is. So if you don't have any windows open it will kill explorer.exe which you then have to restart with ctrl-alt-delete.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Treytor posted:

Perhaps this is impossible, but I've yet to see a real time bandwidth monitor (network traffic) with a decent refresh rate. Task manager and other similar monitoring applications do the job, but I'd like to have a little app that shows what bandwidth (up / down) I am using at any time, and have it update as frequently as possible.

Any way this could be done?

This looks like it does what you want.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freemeter/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Olzi posted:

Here you go:

Oh, and it really does kill the foreground window, whatever it is. So if you don't have any windows open it will kill explorer.exe which you then have to restart with ctrl-alt-delete.

But how do you run it without setting explorer as the foreground? Double clicking the exe puts explorer in the forground. Running from cmd would put cmd in the foreground, I guess. Still not very useful.

Maybe if it sat in the systray and caught a shortcut key?

Ramzi
Oct 10, 2004
The inner child of my soul was repeatedly gangbanged by a team of mall Santas.

Olzi posted:

Here you go:

Yay. Thankees. It works great. The hard part was figuring out how to bind it to a keyboard key. But now I got it. I wonder why Control Alt Delete sucks so much. It takes forever, and you end up pushing "End Now" 100 times. This skips all that.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
MusicAlbumFinder - Type in a folder name (including just drives like D:) and after hitting a search button, will show folders with more then 1 (not just 1) of a certain file type; either .mp3, .ogg, or .ape. File extension could be entered into a text box. Bonus feature is the ability to drag the result folders out of the program into windows explorer.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 11, 2007

Olzi
Oct 25, 2006
-nt-
You can assign the program a hotkey by making a shortcut of it to desktop and then going to the shortcut properties.

Thissa
Oct 1, 2005

wrok posted:

I'd like to request this (or a similar bandwidth graph) for Mac OS X...

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Olzi posted:

You can assign the program a hotkey by making a shortcut of it to desktop and then going to the shortcut properties.

How did I go all these years without ever finding that? Thanks.

Boy Juice
Oct 24, 2003
I got one. I would like a Windows app that does this:

1. I give it a folder name

2. I give it a target size

3. I give it a file extension (or a list of extensions)

3. It searches the folder (and optionally subfolders) for files that total up to the size limit with a good degree of randomness.

4. It copies the chosen files into the clipboard so that I may paste them onto another drive, or it can copy them for me.

I have a large music collection. I put a portion of it onto my usb drive to listen to on my computer at work. I would like to have an easy way to fill the drive with random files.

Any takers?

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

Boy Juice posted:

3. It searches the folder (and optionally subfolders) for files that total up to the size limit with a good degree of randomness.

4. It copies the chosen files into the clipboard so that I may paste them onto another drive, or it can copy them for me.

I have a large music collection. I put a portion of it onto my usb drive to listen to on my computer at work. I would like to have an easy way to fill the drive with random files.

Any takers?

You could make a random playlist and let your musicplayer save the files to your drive (it will error once full).

Or better yet, suggest someone would write a programs that takes in a destination folder and a playlist (.m3u probably) and saves all the music listed in the playlist to the destination folder. That way you could also make mood playlists for instance, or special-event type of things.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Resolution posted:

Can someone port the "Compound" app from Windows to OS X.4? That would be really helpful.

I've done this(or rather a clone :v: ), and I'll be uploading it to the wiki when I get home.

Thissa posted:

I'd like to request this (or a similar bandwidth graph) for Mac OS X...
What kind of graph do you need--something more than what Activity Monitor does? (Or if you don't need a graph, there's the widgets at iSlayer).

Thissa
Oct 1, 2005

Mecha posted:

What kind of graph do you need--something more than what Activity Monitor does? (Or if you don't need a graph, there's the widgets at iSlayer).

Basically, I'd like to have a bandwidth graph in the corner of my screen. iStat doesn't have one, and Activity Monitor is huge and requires that I keep the process list open. Also both of these programs have the overhead of tracking other statistics which I don't care about. On my PC, I use NetMeter - which allows you to customize the colors and transparency when the mouse is on/off of the graph. It also keeps daily/weekly/monthly stats and pops up a warning when you're approaching some user-defined monthly limit. I haven't found anything like it for OSX yet :(

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Olzi posted:

Even better, the shortcut doesn't have to be on the Desktop.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

FlyingDodo posted:

I don't if it was that my request was too big or ignored or whatever I'm going put it here again. If someone made it it would make me very happy.

A program which when given two images will rotate and scale one of them to match the other one based on points placed onto the images. Like if I have two maps but they are different sizes and orientations so you place points which are the same location on the maps and then the program uses the orientation of the points to do the scaling/rotating/translating of the images.

This took me a while because I've never used C# before.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ReMap_Image

binary_hero
Oct 10, 2004

by Lowtax

Boy Juice posted:

Any takers?

Windows Media Player 11 - Open it, plug your USB drive in and click on "Sync" then "Shuffle tracks to this device". It will take a few minutes to index your music files the first time it runs, but after that it's great.

The Fold
Apr 16, 2004
Here's something I've been after for a while.

I noticed the [url]http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Moveclone]Moveclone[/url] app on the wiki, and this does half of what I'm looking for.

I'd like a directory structure to be cloned then for all files not modified for a period of time (say 6 months) to be moved to the cloned structure (that is, create an archive of sorts for old files). And if the move empties a directory then that directory gets deleted.

I used to work for a fashion company and had to frequently do this to stop the designers from filling up the servers to capacity each month, although I always had to do it manually.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

wrok posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Yim
Feb 12, 2004
I TURNED 20 AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STINKING CUSTOM TITLE
I loved the last thread, such a good idea. I don't think I still use any of the apps, but it reminded me I should get back into VB.net when I finish my placement job and get back to uni.

I have a (hopefully) small request.

If anyone is able to create a little program that can rename a group of files. I'm hoping to use this for tv episodes that I've downloaded. eg. Renaming them from any naming format into something easier to follow.

For example, I'd start up the program, and fill in the TV shows name and the season number. Then I could either select the folder with all the .avi files inside it, or drag and drop all the files into the window.

I guess when all the files are loaded into the program, it would try to sort them in episode order, 01-22 or whatever automatically (probably hard to do since there would be two sets of numbers in the file names usually, season# and episode#), but it'd still need the ability to move files up and down the list. (So ordered from first episode of the season to last)

And then once they are in order, a click of a button to rename them to whatever Name and Season I'd entered at the start. The naming scheme would be something like: 'Lost - 01x01 - EpName.avi', 'Lost - 01x02 - EpName.avi', etc. Then, because each episode has a different name, hopefully it would be possible to rename them easily, or even somehow pull episode names from a TV.com url or something, but that's probably going too far, i'm sure I can copy text over fine once the rest of the process is a bit more automated...

Yikes, that's alot of text, I guess it mightn't be as simple as I'd thought, but it might be something a few people would be interested in.

Thanks to anyone who takes up the challange.

FlyingDodo
Jan 22, 2005
Not Extinct

Neurozys posted:

This took me a while because I've never used C# before.

Yay thank you, works just the way I imagined it to.

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING
I've got a request.

Don't know if you guys are familiar with 100 shots / 100 minutes? Well you get a bunch of people together and drink a shot of beer every minute, for a 100 minutes. It's rad.

For this to work properly you need an accurate timer which sounds an alarm or something every minute. The last time we did this, I made a little thingy in flash which worked OK, but I couldn't get it to sync properly to the system clock so the timer was kind of jumpy. Also it was a bit dodgy in that if you closed it for some reason it lost count.

I just need it to show the countdown to the next shot in big numbers, and whatever else to fill the screen. Maybe a picture slideshow or something? :)

If someone could write something which has the following features:

• Can go fullscreen
  • shows the countdown to the next shot, as well as the whole thing
  • sounds an alarm every minute, maybe flashing the screen or something visual
  • sounds a different alarm right at the end
  • can start at a specific count
  • toggle switches for the above features

If you can code it, you can name it. Bonus points if you can specify the alarm sounds, otherwise any built-in Windows sound should be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Boy Juice
Oct 24, 2003

binary_hero posted:

Windows Media Player 11 - Open it, plug your USB drive in and click on "Sync" then "Shuffle tracks to this device". It will take a few minutes to index your music files the first time it runs, but after that it's great.

I had no idea. Thanks.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

FlyingDodo posted:

Yay thank you, works just the way I imagined it to.

I think I screwed up that scaling factors. I'm going to look at it again this afternoon. It's sad that the hardest part of this project for me was the trigonometry and geometry, not learning a new language. :eng99:

Olzi
Oct 25, 2006
-nt-

crumpuppet posted:

Don't know if you guys are familiar with 100 shots / 100 minutes? Well you get a bunch of people together and drink a shot of beer every minute, for a 100 minutes. It's rad.

Here you go:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/oltzi/beerjug.zip

You start it with the little start-button in the left upper corner. Its fully resizable and you can change the drink.wav and lastdrink.wav with your own .wav files to customize it. If you like it i'll add it to the wiki.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

The Fold posted:

I noticed the [url]http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Moveclone]Moveclone[/url] app on the wiki, and this does half of what I'm looking for.

I'd like a directory structure to be cloned then for all files not modified for a period of time (say 6 months) to be moved to the cloned structure (that is, create an archive of sorts for old files). And if the move empties a directory then that directory gets deleted.

I used to work for a fashion company and had to frequently do this to stop the designers from filling up the servers to capacity each month, although I always had to do it manually.

So basically you just want moveclone with the option to delete empty dirs?

----------------

DrOuD
Dec 25, 2003
In another thread I tried to write a small app to simulate extremely long mouse trails as a prank program.

DrOuD posted:

Damned if I can't make the mouse click through the graphics once they're drawn. I'm using a full screen form, and have tried three methods (although the first two are nearly identical):

http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/C...oughWindows.asp(codeproject.com)
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media...spTutorial3.asp(codeproject.com)
http://blogs.msdn.com/coding4fun/ar.../30/905508.aspx(blogs.msdn.com)

Anyone have any pointers? I'd rather stay away from pure GDI, since I'm in C#.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

The Fold posted:

I updated moveclone to do what you want. Just call it with the -r flag to remove empty source directories (inclusive of the root source directory).

----------------

Freezy
Aug 26, 2005
I probably sucked Funky's large meaty cock for this account.
VOID

I would like to request an application that runs it's argument, silently, in the background.

I'm using Cygwin with it's X server, but it seems to like to pop up a command prompt when you run it, and there is no switch to disable it. Someone made a "RunHidden.exe" for it, but the link is long dead :(

So, RunHidden.exe X.exe should launch X in the background. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as easy as setting the verbosity to zero and piping to NUL

:) Cygwin actually has an application for this hidden away, "run". It runs an application with a hidden console. I had to hunt for a bit to find it, but it's exactly what I need.

Freezy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 14, 2007

expunge
Jul 24, 2004
I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it.
Need an app that would search through a group of folders and look for a file that's not there. If the file isn't there have the ability to copy it to those folders with the selection of file and click of a button.

Possible?

So like..

Select it to look in d:\music\ and then in all of it's subfolders.
If the file "blankcover.jpg" isn't in the folder it would mark that as a "copy to" folder. If it is there, it would just ignore it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ramzi posted:

Yay. Thankees. It works great. The hard part was figuring out how to bind it to a keyboard key. But now I got it. I wonder why Control Alt Delete sucks so much. It takes forever, and you end up pushing "End Now" 100 times. This skips all that.

I'm not too familiar with Windows here, but I'm guessing that the "End Task" tries the windows equiv of a "kill -TERM" or such, to get it to gracefully exit and not do strange things to memory or file states. I think it at least tries that. Anything that is killing it quicker than that is probably doing similar to a "kill -9" (or kill -KILL.) While it will kill the app in a big hurry, it probably won't leave your system in a great state, probably some memory will be tied up unless Windows does its own crazy garbage collection, which I don't think it does.

So, if this is the case, I'd recommend rebooting shortly after doing these before the system gets into a funky state and corrupts something important.

Apologies if this is dealt with in the code, or if Windows doesn't work quite the same way. I just happened to think it should be mentioned, in case it matters.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I could use some help from anyone willing to spend some time doing some copy/pasting and formatting.

I've made a list of apps created in the first thread that don't have a page on TinyAppz.com yet.
I'd like for every app that still has an active download link to have it's own page, but it's a whole lot of work, and I'm only one man.

If any one is willing to help, the page is http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Missing_Applications

Thanks!

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 13, 2007

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I was gonna make a request for a rewriting of this, but after thinking about it, I'd like to go in a different direction. Pretty much, I'd like to merge that with Metapad.

Just a regular notepad application, but with 5 or 6 buttons on the right where .wavs/.mp3s can be loaded and then played back at the click of a button. The pausing would be nice, but not necessarily. The volume controller is not needed, it just needs to play at full volume (for some reason, that soundboard up there plays everything quiet). The control buttons for playing the sounds do need to be big.

Any takers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Neurozys posted:

I think I screwed up that scaling factors. I'm going to look at it again this afternoon. It's sad that the hardest part of this project for me was the trigonometry and geometry, not learning a new language. :eng99:

I've re-examined the code and found where I went wrong (it was a pretty big screw up)
There's a new version now that should work much much better

• Locked thread