Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org
I just put in a request here
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1206469366

I'll copy the description here as well:

I need a small program to take snapshots of folks via a webcam. I'm not sure how hard it is to integrate webcam support into a program but if it isn't hard I'd just like something that takes a picture and then pulls up a box asking for a file name, at this point I would swipe an MSR card (simple magnetic card containing 8 characters) then hit ok and it would save the snapshot with the digits from the card + the date/time as the file name. What this would be used for is keeping track of folks in a nursing home to verify that they're eating their meals and to have a record to show them that they did, in fact, come and eat on day x for lunch, dinner, whatever.

I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me with this, we tried just having them sign in but getting these folks to do anything themselves is like pulling teeth.

jmu fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

substance1987
Mar 29, 2008

The tide of evolution carries everything before it, thoughts no less than bodies, and persons no less than nations
This is exactly the sort of thread I've been hoping for. What I am looking for is a program that will do custom encryption.

Basically, what I want to be able to do is put in a string of plain text, a string of letters to use as a cipher, and have the program generate the encrypted text by adding the values of the plain text to the cipher, with the numberical values of the letters being a=1, b=2 and so on. Ideally, the program would show the encrypted text as all caps, grouped into groups of five letters.

As a general idea:
code:
Plain text: We attack at dawn
Cipher text: asdfghjasdfghj

adding the plain text to cipher:
   weattackatdawn
+  asdfghjasdfghj
=  xfezaimltxjhex

and then splitting it into groups of five, all caps renders
XFEZA IMLTX JHEX as our final output.
Note that the values of the alphabet "wrap", i.e. if adding two letters results in a value higher than Z (or 26), the alphabet starts over with A at 27. I would be inputting different cipher texts each time, so I don't just want standard encryption software. It's just to make something I'm already doing easier (encrypting text for a roleplaying game, yes, I am a big ole geek).

edit: request is up on the wiki.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

substance1987 posted:

This is exactly the sort of thread I've been hoping for. What I am looking for is a program that will do custom encryption.

Basically, what I want to be able to do is put in a string of plain text, a string of letters to use as a cipher, and have the program generate the encrypted text by adding the values of the plain text to the cipher, with the numberical values of the letters being a=1, b=2 and so on. Ideally, the program would show the encrypted text as all caps, grouped into groups of five letters.

As a general idea:
code:
Plain text: We attack at dawn
Cipher text: asdfghjasdfghj

adding the plain text to cipher:
   weattackatdawn
+  asdfghjasdfghj
=  xfezaimltxjhex

and then splitting it into groups of five, all caps renders
XFEZA IMLTX JHEX as our final output.
Note that the values of the alphabet "wrap", i.e. if adding two letters results in a value higher than Z (or 26), the alphabet starts over with A at 27. I would be inputting different cipher texts each time, so I don't just want standard encryption software. It's just to make something I'm already doing easier (encrypting text for a roleplaying game, yes, I am a big ole geek).

edit: request is up on the wiki.

quickie before bed. http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Cipher

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Request:
Script or program to go through all of the beers on ratebeer.com and take Beer name, Brewery, style, alcohol%, commercial description and store it in a way that can be transferred to a database easily.

Example of beer page to get data from.
http://ratebeer.com/beer/lost-abbey-the-angels-share/64975/

This information is available on bottles or packs, or brewer's websites, so it's not stealing. I'm not asking for any rating information or review stuff. Also, any other site like beeradvocate.com would work if it's easier to grab this information from. Thanks!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207094320

orange crayon
Feb 22, 2007

Stupid
Hey, I'm looking for a simple stopwatch program. I would like a countdown timer, a button to start/stop the countdown, and preferably a pause button as well. First it should countdown for ten minutes, and beep, and once I push the start button again count two minutes. So 10, 2, 10, 2, 10, 2, repeat ad nauseum. Maybe implement a function where the two values can be inputed into little boxes in the dialog or something.

Thanks in advance! :)

Lono
Jun 30, 2004

In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
Put in this request - http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207160879

quote:

I am looking for an app that will test if a computer is connected to the internet and then return a message showing if the computer is connected or not. I would prefer to be able to customize the message that is returned but that is not necessary if it is too complicated.

Searched for a program that would do this but I have been unable to find one.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Lono posted:

I am looking for an app that will test if a computer is connected to the internet and then return a message showing if the computer is connected or not. I would prefer to be able to customize the message that is returned but that is not necessary if it is too complicated.

nmap the computer's ip and then use a simple regex to tell if the computer responded or not?

VVV yes ping makes a lot more sense, no need to use a sledgehammer when a hammer will do.

cliffy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 2, 2008

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?

Lono posted:

Put in this request - http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207160879

Searched for a program that would do this but I have been unable to find one.

You can run this batch file to do it:

code:
@echo off
ping -i 1 %1 > nul
if errorlevel 0 echo up
if not errorlevel 0 echo down
If you want to change the message, change the echo statements.

Lono
Jun 30, 2004

In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.
Thanks for help.

I'll cancel my request on tinyappz.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'd like an app that will take a screenshot of an entire webpage. I use Windows (XP and Vista) and surf with IE7.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207174499

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 3, 2008

Darthphunk
Jul 3, 2002

Where's my Republic Credits BITCH?!?!?
Request added here -----> http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207175644

I would like a photobooth application. I want to build a photobooth for my wedding reception. I would prefer it to work with a firewire video connection... like a DV cam, but Webcam would be OK as well. I would like the main screen to have two buttons. One says TAKE PICTURE the other says RECORD MOVIE. Clicking Take Picture would say "We're going to take 4 pictures.... Ready? There would be a Preview of how they look on cam...And then a countdown from 5 or something. When clicking RECORD MOVIE a message would say, Recording your message... and then a countdown from 5 or something... and the movies would be 20 seconds max.

The app should be full screen and require only mouse interaction.

I'd like it do be as customizable as possible. Like, i'd like to use pictures for the buttons, and be able to customize the messages it gives. I would also like to choose where files go.

This could be PC or Linux, actual app or even SWF if it can be done.

This does not need to print! but that would be rad if it did... it's mainly for our Wedidng DVD and photo albums and whatnot.

Basically a watered down version of this... http://photoboof.com/

that also does video.

Darthphunk fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 2, 2008

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Not sure if this request exactly belongs in here but I really don't want to create a new thread for it.

Basically I need a python script to remove a file from C:\Program Files\Blah\File.file

Very quick and easy I'd imagine.

edit: assuming i can double click the .py file

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
Request here: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207856077

Try to make this as simple as possible.

Need a program that can go through a vast amount of pictures and pull out the file names of the photos that have a certain color in them.

For example: I put in a RGB value or a range of values and a directory/url where i have all my photos stored and itll will go through all the photos and give me the url of the phots that have that certain color in them.

If its too much work and its not really a small app, pm and id be willing to work something out.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

jizzpowered posted:

Request here: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207856077

Try to make this as simple as possible.

Need a program that can go through a vast amount of pictures and pull out the file names of the photos that have a certain color in them.

For example: I put in a RGB value or a range of values and a directory/url where i have all my photos stored and itll will go through all the photos and give me the url of the phots that have that certain color in them.

If its too much work and its not really a small app, pm and id be willing to work something out.

I can do this, but just to clarify, say you're looking for 222,222,222 and there is one pixel in the image that is that color, do you want it flagged? Are you looking for a larger area in the image to sample?

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

mintskoal posted:

I can do this, but just to clarify, say you're looking for 222,222,222 and there is one pixel in the image that is that color, do you want it flagged? Are you looking for a larger area in the image to sample?

I suppose a larger area would work better. Makes more sense. Depends how it works, if we go that way then i dont want a BIG area like maybe 5% of the image? If that makes sense.

orngwip
Nov 22, 2005
I don't know if this would be considered simple or not, but I have always wanted a quick app for changing IP addresses between several statics and DHCP in windows. Shortcut keys, some kind of interface profile manager, or even something as simple as a command line script. This is an app that is pretty specifically useful for someone in the networking world, so I can understand if there is little interest in making it.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

jizzpowered posted:

I suppose a larger area would work better. Makes more sense. Depends how it works, if we go that way then i dont want a BIG area like maybe 5% of the image? If that makes sense.

What would your use for this list be? I ask because there may be a better algorithm then "at least 5% this exact color."

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Neurozys posted:

What would your use for this list be? I ask because there may be a better algorithm then "at least 5% this exact color."

Well i'm a graphic designer and I have a bank of photos, i'm currently working on a project that involves those said photos. Pretty much i'll take a photo or 2 then have to find a photo that has colors in it to compliment my original picture.

So something like this would help tons.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I closed my request because there was no interest here, so I hired some guy to do it.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207094320

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

orngwip posted:

I don't know if this would be considered simple or not, but I have always wanted a quick app for changing IP addresses between several statics and DHCP in windows. Shortcut keys, some kind of interface profile manager, or even something as simple as a command line script. This is an app that is pretty specifically useful for someone in the networking world, so I can understand if there is little interest in making it.

Put this in a batch file to enable DHCP on an interface.
code:
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
Put this in a separate batch file to switch to a static IP:

code:
netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0 1
Modify "Local Area Connection" in either example to whatever your interface is called.

neibbo
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, mein Fuhrer... I mean.. Mr. President
Hopefully this is an easy request. I need a program that lets me select a .NET assembly and then displays the information about the assembly in a readonly textbox formatted like:

Assembly Name
Version:
Culture:
Token:

But the most important part about this is it can't lock the DLL file. It just needs to read the DLL information and then exit it. This is because other applications will be accessing this DLL later, and I'd like to leave this program running most of the day. This would really make my life easier at work. I understand this can probably be done with other programs but I'd really like a small/light weight one that's formatted like this.

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

orngwip posted:

WinIPS lives in your systemtray and enables you to quickly switch between static addresses and DCHP.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I would like an application that will mark files for deletion.
I'm working on a script for work that will run a quick spyware scan, defragment it, then restart the computer when done and delete all the files, leaving no trace.
I found an Application called Boot Deleter, but it requires manual intervention in order to mark a whole folder for deletion.

Edit: Request is here

Ashex fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 13, 2008

dlb
Jun 6, 2007
Not sure how hard this one is but...

A little tray app that detects all connected usb devices with the option to disable/enable individually.

Usage example: Most USB headsets disable your speakers when plugged in. Sure you can unplug the headset, but drat it, I'm lazy and so are you.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Midelne posted:

I need an application that will sit in the notification area, rather than the taskbar, that will at fairly brief intervals (say, every second or so) ensure that Caps Lock is ON, and if it is not on, will turn it on. It would be ideal if this application could be right-clicked and suspended/resumed in the notification area.

Thanks!

I decided to jump in and do this as my first .net project.

I didn't read the thread first :(

Midelne posted:

re-edit: It turned out to be a two-line job in AutoIt. Thanks a million!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/CapsLocker

go for a stroll fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 12, 2008

Reapp
Dec 11, 2007
I'd like a customizable file uploader that will also output a link (for images) to the uploaded file for use in forums/myspace/etc, just like the other hosting services.

I'm having trouble getting the previously written file uploader to work, though it could be because of my .html ineptness.

Darthphunk
Jul 3, 2002

Where's my Republic Credits BITCH?!?!?

C YA VADER posted:

Request added here -----> http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1207175644

I would like a photobooth application. I want to build a photobooth for my wedding reception. I would prefer it to work with a firewire video connection... like a DV cam, but Webcam would be OK as well. I would like the main screen to have two buttons. One says TAKE PICTURE the other says RECORD MOVIE. Clicking Take Picture would say "We're going to take 4 pictures.... Ready? There would be a Preview of how they look on cam...And then a countdown from 5 or something. When clicking RECORD MOVIE a message would say, Recording your message... and then a countdown from 5 or something... and the movies would be 20 seconds max.

The app should be full screen and require only mouse interaction.

I'd like it do be as customizable as possible. Like, i'd like to use pictures for the buttons, and be able to customize the messages it gives. I would also like to choose where files go.

This could be PC or Linux, actual app or even SWF if it can be done.

This does not need to print! but that would be rad if it did... it's mainly for our Wedidng DVD and photo albums and whatnot.

Basically a watered down version of this... http://photoboof.com/

that also does video.

Is this app too complicated to request? Not that I expected anyone to jump right on it, but am I asking too much?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

C YA VADER posted:

Is this app too complicated to request? Not that I expected anyone to jump right on it, but am I asking too much?

Maybe you should change your request to hacking this to do what you want?

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/08/21/cheese-brings-photoboth-functionality-to-linux

http://live.gnome.org/Cheese

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Ashex posted:

I would like an application that will mark files for deletion.
I'm working on a script for work that will run a quick spyware scan, defragment it, then restart the computer when done and delete all the files, leaving no trace.
I found an Application called Boot Deleter, but it requires manual intervention in order to mark a whole folder for deletion.

Edit: Request is here

I did some more searching, and I think I found the code for it here, hope this helps?

Edit: Factor Mystic hooked me up with an app.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 14, 2008

Chimpsky X
Jan 16, 2004

Give banana me.
I got Nerlord's Single Page Thread working in XP but have not been able to in Leopard... I hit f5 and the dialog box to enter a thread URL pops up and I entered one and press 'okay'. After a long rainbow pinwheel, it says 'error retrieving SA thread'. I copied my firefox cookies to the SinglePT_AllOS folder so I don't see what could be going wrong. What am I not doing? What am I doing wrong? Please help a brother out, I use Leopard more than XP and hate rebooting unless I need to.

Chimpsky X fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2008

shitty bill
Feb 8, 2003

orange crayon posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a simple stopwatch program. I would like a countdown timer, a button to start/stop the countdown, and preferably a pause button as well. First it should countdown for ten minutes, and beep, and once I push the start button again count two minutes. So 10, 2, 10, 2, 10, 2, repeat ad nauseum. Maybe implement a function where the two values can be inputed into little boxes in the dialog or something.

Thanks in advance! :)

Yeah I can write this. You want it for Windows - right?

1-976-ATHEIST
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but I'm having trouble with Vid2Gif. When I try to upload a video I get this error:

Immediately afterwards it stops responding and I have to close it. Someone else tried using the same video and it worked fine for them, and suggested it doesn't work because I'm on Vista. I'm using Vista Ultimate 64, to be exact. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I poo poo out of luck?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

1-976-ATHEIST posted:

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64, to be exact. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I poo poo out of luck?

I can duplicate the problem. Don't have a solution though - seems to be some sort of change to the DirectShow media decoder interface - I'm expecting a field to be a pointer to a structure with the frame size, instead it seems to be the number 88 pretty consistently. 88 obviously isn't a valid memory address, so we get the exception you're seeing.

I don't really feel like digging through MSDN for a few hours today, so yes, in the short term you're SOL. I'll take a stab at fixing it at some point though.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Request

Im looking for a simple to do application like this:

The paint mock-up pretty much says it all, typing something into the top box and clicking add would add it to the bottom list, highlighting something in the bottom list and clicking remove will obviously remove it. Also i'd like this to save somewhere so even if i was to close the program and re-boot, the list would still be intact.

Thankyou in advance :)

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Gibbon_WBA posted:

Request

Im looking for a simple to do application like this:

The paint mock-up pretty much says it all, typing something into the top box and clicking add would add it to the bottom list, highlighting something in the bottom list and clicking remove will obviously remove it. Also i'd like this to save somewhere so even if i was to close the program and re-boot, the list would still be intact.

Thankyou in advance :)

On it! Give me ten minutes.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

tinabeatr posted:

On it! Give me ten minutes.

Spoil sport, calling dibs. I had to write 9 lines of code, everything else with a mouse. you? http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Simple_To-Do_List

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Neurozys posted:

Spoil sport, calling dibs. I had to write 9 lines of code, everything else with a mouse. you? http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Simple_To-Do_List

Dammit! I'm gonna share mine anyway. so THERE!

edit: Yeah, it was mostly point and click. The read/write text file stuff was the only non-mouse-clicking-coding involved.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 20, 2008

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Simpler_To-Do_List

Signing up and uploading took about ten times longer than writing the drat thing.

Oh well. It will be faster for next time i guess.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
b-but mine used sqlite :( (overkill itt)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

tinabeatr posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Simpler_To-Do_List

Signing up and uploading took about ten times longer than writing the drat thing.

Oh well. It will be faster for next time i guess.

Perfect, thanks!!

However (i feel like a bit of a dick saying this so, in advance; i apologise) feel free to say no becuase this is kind of trivial.

But is there a way you could make it so the program adds a "-" and a space after it at the start of everything that appears in the list? so for example if you were to type "post e/n thread" it would appear in the list as "- post e/n thread", could you also make it size ajustable, so I could stretch the window down to make it longer. Also (sorry :(), is there a way you could make it so the text went onto a "new line" when it gets too big for the box, but indented so it's not level with the "-". Kindof like this;

if you could do that then that would be even more perfect than it is now :) I already have a shortcut on my desktop for it :) once again; sorry :( I should have thought about it before I made the first request.

Thanks again! :)

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 20, 2008

• Locked thread