Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I'd like to request a program to do focus on mouseover (Windows platform). I know you can do it through the registry, but I'd like to be able to have it on computers where I don't have access to the registry. Also a lot of the computers don't have .NET or anything fancy.

This program is almost exactly it, except I don't want the copy/paste functionality with the mouse buttons.
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/TXMouse/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Neurozys posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/DickyTran

I barely resisted the urge to call it TrannyDick. I didn't have an eyedropper handy, so there's just a set of crosshairs instead.
This is perfect and I love you :love:

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?
Wow. I really need to play with image manipulation in .NET. I didn't realize that it can be that easy.

And I don't see one comment in your code there Neurosys! :colbert:

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
I am looking for a program that I can point to a folder, (e:/mp3s) and will make a m3u or other playlist in alphabetical order of the files inside each folder, for each and every sub-folder.

I would like these files to be placed in any directory that I choose.

Is this very hard?

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

JediGandalf posted:

Wow. I really need to play with image manipulation in .NET. I didn't realize that it can be that easy.

And I don't see one comment in your code there Neurosys! :colbert:

I bet the part where I left in the default form names was real helpful too. :pseudo:
Sorry about the no comments thing, just tends to happen when I start coding after midnight.
There's a bunch of nifty graphics stuff, it just takes some seeking out. I would have liked to have a tolerance setting like the magic wand in Photoshop, but then I wouldn't have been able to do the transparency in one line (with Bitmap.MakeTransparent ).

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 17, 2007

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'd like a commandline app (or anything I can run in OS X) where the last 10 IM's sent to an AIM address are put into an RSS feed. I'm guessing it could be tossed together by somehow linking Perl AIM libraries and something like this perl::rss library

Essentially, I'm putting up an Instant-Feedback thing for my TV station, where someone can IM someone and it will show up on a ticker on the bottom of the screen (already have that stuff working).

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Glenn Danzig posted:

I am looking for a program that I can point to a folder, (e:/mp3s) and will make a m3u or other playlist in alphabetical order of the files inside each folder, for each and every sub-folder.

Is this very hard?
Tada!

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/M3U_Maker

mantaworks
May 6, 2005

by Fragmaster

NashAsh posted:

I'd like to request a program to do focus on mouseover (Windows platform). I know you can do it through the registry, but I'd like to be able to have it on computers where I don't have access to the registry. Also a lot of the computers don't have .NET or anything fancy.

This program is almost exactly it, except I don't want the copy/paste functionality with the mouse buttons.
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/nt/TXMouse/

Microsoft's Tweak UI powertoy can do this.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Glenn Danzig posted:

Is this very hard?

I'll take a shot at this. Should be pretty easy.

Edit: Curse you Neurozys :argh:

DrOuD
Dec 25, 2003

fixelbrumpf posted:

I'd love a program that lets you password protect folders, either I'm blind or Windows really doesn't offer this functionality without third-party software.

It does, but only as command line. Here you go, context encrypt.

Edit: Took longer to make the screenshot than the registry patch, edit to suit.

superb0wr
Jun 2, 2004

funky

memknock posted:

I posted this in the other one, but I would like if possibleL

a calling card java app for a cell phone. It stores a calling card phone number and the calling card pin number, lets you choose from your phone book a number to call with calling card.

* dials CC phone number
* preferences lets you choose which is first in the list, the phone number to dial or the CC pin
* dials each one seperately when a button is pressed.

I can maybe write this for you but I'm having a real hard time understand why someone would want to use a calling card from a cell phone in ther first place.

Also once you have java start a phone call the phone takes control away from the java so it couldn't do more stuff in the middle of the call, but it could probably initiate it.

Twon
Jan 30, 2002

Knight of Mars Beater of Ass

Yim posted:

I loved the last thread, such a good idea. I don't think I still use any of the apps, but it reminded me I should get back into VB.net when I finish my placement job and get back to uni.

I have a (hopefully) small request.

If anyone is able to create a little program that can rename a group of files. I'm hoping to use this for tv episodes that I've downloaded. eg. Renaming them from any naming format into something easier to follow.

For example, I'd start up the program, and fill in the TV shows name and the season number. Then I could either select the folder with all the .avi files inside it, or drag and drop all the files into the window.

I guess when all the files are loaded into the program, it would try to sort them in episode order, 01-22 or whatever automatically (probably hard to do since there would be two sets of numbers in the file names usually, season# and episode#), but it'd still need the ability to move files up and down the list. (So ordered from first episode of the season to last)

And then once they are in order, a click of a button to rename them to whatever Name and Season I'd entered at the start. The naming scheme would be something like: 'Lost - 01x01 - EpName.avi', 'Lost - 01x02 - EpName.avi', etc. Then, because each episode has a different name, hopefully it would be possible to rename them easily, or even somehow pull episode names from a TV.com url or something, but that's probably going too far, i'm sure I can copy text over fine once the rest of the process is a bit more automated...

Yikes, that's alot of text, I guess it mightn't be as simple as I'd thought, but it might be something a few people would be interested in.

Thanks to anyone who takes up the challange.

I took a whack at this:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/TVRenamer

It looks like you won't be posting for a while, but here's hoping it's useful anyway. If you know any C#, you might be better off customizing it rather than using it straight-up. Episode names are manual.

memknock
Jul 4, 2002

superb0wr posted:

I can maybe write this for you but I'm having a real hard time understand why someone would want to use a calling card from a cell phone in ther first place.

Also once you have java start a phone call the phone takes control away from the java so it couldn't do more stuff in the middle of the call, but it could probably initiate it.

international calls :)

I mainly need it for my wife, she refuses to upgrade her phone from a nokia 3390 which is dying.

All I need is for it to start the phone call and that would be awesome.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Twon posted:

I took a whack at this:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/TVRenamer

It looks like you won't be posting for a while, but here's hoping it's useful anyway. If you know any C#, you might be better off customizing it rather than using it straight-up. Episode names are manual.

I've been doing some research on this one as well. As far as I can tell the only decent source for TV episode lists the doesn't involve scraping a website is the plain text data provided by IMDB. I'm going to look at your code and see if I can manage to automatically fill in the episode titles if that data set is available.

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
Okay, here's a request of my own that I'm too lazy to figure out:

A Firefox extension that gives you the ability to drag a tab out of the current window to spawn a new window with that tab. Simple enough?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Neurozys posted:

I've been doing some research on this one as well. As far as I can tell the only decent source for TV episode lists the doesn't involve scraping a website is the plain text data provided by IMDB. I'm going to look at your code and see if I can manage to automatically fill in the episode titles if that data set is available.

Done.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/TVRenamer2

Neurozys fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 20, 2007

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Sorry for the contentless bump, but we could really use more requests. Any ideas on how to go about soliciting them?

Actually, let's call that a request: A method of soliciting more application requests. :burger:

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

I'd like an application that logs into a POP3 email server and deletes all emails over a certain size. It'd be cool if it listed the headers and let you pick which emails to delete. My grandfather is on backwoods dialup (2-3K/s max) and people keep sending him 5Mb videos that take him days to download.

It'd be wicked awesome if you could schedule the automated portion of it to run once every few hours. Bonus points if it scans for executable attachments.

Right now, I'm downloading his email in outlook then deleting the culprits and then sending/receiving again to clear it from the server. It's kind of a pain in the butt. I can't really do anything myself until May (I'm sick, behind at work and it's the middle of exams), so if anyone wants to give that a try I'd be grateful.

fez2 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 20, 2007

DrOuD
Dec 25, 2003

fez2 posted:

I'd like an application that logs into a POP3 email server and deletes all emails over a certain size.

You keep changing the specs! Here's what you get, it does everything in the original request (namely, connect and kill big e-mails).

edit: Just uploaded a version with everything built. .NET 2.0 required.

DrOuD fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 20, 2007

dissectional
May 13, 2005

LOL WELL CLEARLY THE MEDIA SHOULD ONLY REPORT ON WHAT INTERESTS ME BECAUSE:
You know what would be sweet?

A little application that sits in memory and at the push of the '~' key drops down a dos box window like in Quakeworld. Pressing '~' again slides it back up, where it remains in memory with your command history and last executed commands and such.

I found something like this a while back, though it was horribly designed, buggy, a resource hog and was given a lame 'skin.'

Any of you blokes up to the challenge? This would kick rear end :D

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Neurozys posted:

Sorry for the contentless bump, but we could really use more requests.
I've got a couple of requests. Hope they aren't too specific.

1. Something that downloads the animated gif of the weather radar from my area (file is located here, and no that url doesn't change) and then displays it in a window. The window shouldn't have a title bar or anything, just a frame big enough for that gif to fit in it. If I press escape or click anywhere on the gif, the window closes. I was able to do all of this in AutoHotKey except no matter what I did I couldn't get the gif to actually animate. This is important. If you want to make it more useful to other people and have the user specify the url of radar gif file on the initial run that's fine.

Bonus points: Display either the 3 or 5 day forecast from my area (zip code 62704) in text-only format at the top or bottom of the radar. I should be able to toggle this display on and off via a key like space or shift or whatever.

2. Screenshot grabber with a twist. I want to be able to click and drag a rectangle on the screen. The graphic contents of that rectangle are then copied over to a new window. Scaling the window also scales the graphic inside it to match, though there should be a button or hotkey to revert it to its original size. I should be able to drag the window with the mouse. I'd also like to save the image as either BMP or JPG, to toggle the window as "always on top" and to set the opacity of the window (in percent) if possible.

Bonus points: The mousewheel functions as a quick zoom-in / zoom-out on the window.

Snozzberry Smoothie
Jun 27, 2005

by Fragmaster
I have a app request. I'd like a program that would allow me to control Windows Media Player on my Desktop machine from my PocketPC, over my wireless network.

Nothing fancy like playlists or anything like that. Just a simple Play/Pause/Next/Prev control, using the .NET compact framework on my Windows Mobile 2003 device. I'd assume the best way to do this would be to write a server app that sits on the desktop and waits for requests from the client app on the mobile device.

If someone writes this for me I'd be very happy, since it'd be ideal for parties. :)

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

I found DickyTran was not working as advertised due to stupid gif color table stuff that I don't want to think about. Anyway, I created an updated version that should actually work.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/DickyTran

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

I have what's hopefully an easy request. Essentially I'd be interested in a program that dumps the directory listing of a dvd/cd that's in my dvd drive to something that I can use in excel or a text file. Although I'm not sure how well the information could be organized in excel.

To explain it a bit better, I was wanting to catalogue all my DVD's. Writing all the tv shows, artists, and files that are on the surface of the disc is a pain in the rear end and unsightly. I'd rather just assign it a number, such as DVD 32, then open up a catalogue on my computer to find out what's on it. Also I'd be able to search through the catalogue to find what I want, rather than sticking in a bunch of DVD's to find out what I want.

Assuming it's a text file, It would output the txt file to be "DVD/CD ##.txt", depending on whether it's a CD or DVD, and a number of my choosing I guess. Then it would scan the contents and list them in some sort of format.

IE:
DVD/CD ## SUMMARY:
xx files total/yy MB total

[MP3S]
-somerandomfile.txt 1kb
-[ARTIST]
--files1.mp3 3mb
--files2.mp3 4mb
-[DUCKS]
--ilikeducks.jpg 102kb

The formatting isn't very concrete, but it's an idea. As long as it's legible.

blahz fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 20, 2007

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

mantaworks posted:

Microsoft's Tweak UI powertoy can do this.

But I need admin privileges to install Tweak UI :(

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

TylerK posted:

1. Something that downloads the animated gif of the weather radar from my area (file is located here, and no that url doesn't change) and then displays it in a window.
I'm going to do this one.. Actually had it all done, but I'm going to do it again in a cleaner fashion. :) As it is a very simple one, I should still be done very soon.

DrOuD
Dec 25, 2003

Wuntvor posted:

I'm going to do this one.. Actually had it all done, but I'm going to do it again in a cleaner fashion. :) As it is a very simple one, I should still be done very soon.

Bonus points if it extracts the frames from the GIF and creates a longer movie over a period of time.

D14BL0
Dec 6, 2006

WE STAND AT THE DOOR
Would you be able to make a little app that would, upon running it, open one program, and close another? It would need to be easily customizable for selecting the locations of the files needed for opening and closing.

I need something like this for my dockbar. It gets in the way of playing games, and sometimes I forget to turn it off and don't realize until I'm neck-deep in a firefight and suddenly Word opens up, so if I had a program that would open the game, and at the same time, automatically close the dockbar, that would be :awesome:.

Chozo
May 27, 2003

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste.
Thanks in advance, guys! I love these threads. My program should be pretty easy.

This may sound stupid, but I would like a context menu extension that can toggle "show hidden files and folders" on and off, preferably with only one context entry. That is, I don't want one context menu entry saying "Show" and one saying "Hide," but rather one entry, like a toggle.

I don't really use hidden file settings to hide things, but just to reduce clutter by hiding infrequently accessed files/folders or those stupid undeletable ones that come with XP. Sometimes, it is necessary for me to see them and I hate having to go through folder options to toggle this. Basically, I am lazy.

Mister Gooniverse
Dec 1, 2003

Most Valued Poster
2003-2012
I would love an app that lets me define several different "HOSTS" files and easily (via a tray icon) swap them around.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

DrOuD posted:

Bonus points if it extracts the frames from the GIF and creates a longer movie over a period of time.
Sorry, but I probably won't be doing this, although I promise I'll look into it. :) Either way, take a look at this: WeatherDisplay, I hope it's what you were looking for. :)

The forecast is only for today and tomorrow, I'm afraid, the yahoo rss doesn't give out more. You can click on it, though, which will open yahoo weather in your default webbrowser.

EDIT: Oops, it didn't update after changing the info in the options.. forgot that, fixed now.

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 20, 2007

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Chozo posted:

Thanks in advance, guys! I love these threads. My program should be pretty easy.

This may sound stupid, but I would like a context menu extension that can toggle "show hidden files and folders" on and off, preferably with only one context entry. That is, I don't want one context menu entry saying "Show" and one saying "Hide," but rather one entry, like a toggle.

I don't really use hidden file settings to hide things, but just to reduce clutter by hiding infrequently accessed files/folders or those stupid undeletable ones that come with XP. Sometimes, it is necessary for me to see them and I hate having to go through folder options to toggle this. Basically, I am lazy.

I will do this in just a few minutes. It just requires a few changes to the ExtensionToggle program that I wrote already.

----------------

Epicenter
Dec 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd like a program that acts basically as a customized random image viewer. It would scan a directory structure (e.g. a dir and all its subdirs), and then let you check off some of those dirs. It'll then go through and select random image file and display it. Then it'd have a button to go through and pick another random one and display it. (or to listen for a particular keystroke would be even better.) It could use the standard windows image viewer for actually displaying the image.

EDIT: This would also be great for music! You could select an image and an audio program with a 'browse...' button and it'd use that to show images or play music files.

Could anyone do this? :) Thanks!

Epicenter fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 20, 2007

Mindbullets
Jan 18, 2007
Yea! Getsome!
I second the image viewer thing. Im low on time here, but id like it to be similar to
google desktop sidebar image viewer, basically like a widget.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there any easy way to create a windows app that feeds a command-line program variables, either based on a directory of contents or a selection of files, etc?

I have a command-line tool that I'd like to figure out how to mass-process images. It should be able to take a directory of jpeg2000 images and one .xml file, and use the command line tool to embed the .xml into the jp2, and save out new .jp2s. This is easy in a single instance, but obviously I'd like to batch this. I'd also like to be able to mass-extract .xml from the .jp2's.

The string goes something like this:

tool.exe -i file.jp2 -o file_new.jp2 -xml file.xml -lic <string> <string>

-i is input, -o is output, -xml is the xml file, if that wasn't obvious.

The -lic is the temporary license code I have from the company. It's very clumsy in that I have to append it to the command every time it's run.

I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure if I can simply use something like visual basic to create a front-end for the command line tool or what.... ideas, opinions? Anyone want a project?

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD

Chozo posted:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/HiddenToggle

----------------

TylerK
Jan 15, 2001

Wuntvor posted:

Sorry, but I probably won't be doing this, although I promise I'll look into it. :) Either way, take a look at this: WeatherDisplay, I hope it's what you were looking for. :)
gently caress YES. This is exactly what I wanted! Thanks so much!

Spartan22x
Dec 22, 2006

by Fragmaster

ShaneB posted:

Is there any easy way to create a windows app that feeds a command-line program variables, either based on a directory of contents or a selection of files, etc?

I have a command-line tool that I'd like to figure out how to mass-process images. It should be able to take a directory of jpeg2000 images and one .xml file, and use the command line tool to embed the .xml into the jp2, and save out new .jp2s. This is easy in a single instance, but obviously I'd like to batch this. I'd also like to be able to mass-extract .xml from the .jp2's.

The string goes something like this:

tool.exe -i file.jp2 -o file_new.jp2 -xml file.xml -lic <string> <string>

-i is input, -o is output, -xml is the xml file, if that wasn't obvious.

The -lic is the temporary license code I have from the company. It's very clumsy in that I have to append it to the command every time it's run.

I'm not a programmer, so I'm not sure if I can simply use something like visual basic to create a front-end for the command line tool or what.... ideas, opinions? Anyone want a project?

I'm checking to see if what I'm doing right now will work (I'm pretty sure it should), but what you'd do is simply run it by piping it to your tool from the command line. I'll have it done by tomorrow in any event. (I'm going out)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Spartan22x posted:

I'm checking to see if what I'm doing right now will work (I'm pretty sure it should), but what you'd do is simply run it by piping it to your tool from the command line. I'll have it done by tomorrow in any event. (I'm going out)

I have something another guy and me whipped up in VBscript, but I'm interested to see what you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez2
Jan 24, 2002

DrOuD posted:

You keep changing the specs! Here's what you get, it does everything in the original request (namely, connect and kill big e-mails).

edit: Just uploaded a version with everything built. .NET 2.0 required.

Wow thanks. That was fast! Sorry about changing the requirements on you, I didn't expect anyone to start working on it that quick. Much appreciated!

• Locked thread