Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
I would like a program that toggles the mute on my CD Player input. At work my radio tuner runs through this input, and if I ever want to hear a WAV or similar playing I have to go to the Volume Control and manually mute it.

I have a flashy keyboard with a handful of keys which I can set up to open a given program. I'd like to link one of these to a .exe which opens, mutes/unmutes it and exits.

e: Windows XP

NoSpoon fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 26, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.

blahz posted:

To explain it a bit better, I was wanting to catalogue all my DVD's.

I believe I have this filled based on your description.

Try http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/ReadDrive

Let me know if you'd like changes or a real user interface. It could be done, but I was going for something light here.

Edit: Also, I only tested it on a few dozen files totaling roughly 80MB. It took about 30 seconds to catalog that, so I'm sure it's wasting time somewhere. If I get more time soon I'll try and clean it up.

More Edit: On that note, I'm pretty sure it's being caused at least partially by my file size retrieving method, which is pretty hacked together I think. Anybody got pointers on doing that better/faster?

Edit again: Nevermind, I'd an idiot. I've got it to where 7950 files takes about 2 minutes now.

Revelations fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 26, 2007

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002

Charun posted:

A program that tests files to see if they are availiable to open and read. Ideally it would scan a directory and report a list of files that it couldn't read and the error encountered (permission/file error).
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177376875

I've had a backup that randomly failed to restore some files a while back that can't be opened, and are incomplete. I'd like to be able to get a list of them and restore them from an older backup.

http://slightlyprofessional.net/FAC.rar

you can either choose a file, multiple files, or entire directories. It'll verify that each file can be opened and yell if it can't open it. If you're doing your entire hard drive, dont worry, the program didnt' crash, it's just going to take a while opening each file on your hard drive.

Also, you can click verbose mode and it'll return the attributes of each file!

It's in c# so it needs .net.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Sharkface posted:

you can either choose a file, multiple files, or entire directories. It'll verify that each file can be opened and yell if it can't open it. If you're doing your entire hard drive, dont worry, the program didnt' crash, it's just going to take a while opening each file on your hard drive.

Also, you can click verbose mode and it'll return the attributes of each file!

It's in c# so it needs .net.

This is great, only it seems to need write permission to open the files. Is there any way to do it with just read? Or at least distinguish between no permission and read permission?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
What I really would love is a small app that will quickly toggle my sound card between 5.1 Surround and Headphones mode. Launching the creative app every time I want to do this is kind of annoying as their software is garbage and slow.

Thank you.

dunno260
Oct 21, 2005

Doh! Thank you so much!

Sharkface
Apr 20, 2002

Charun posted:

This is great, only it seems to need write permission to open the files. Is there any way to do it with just read? Or at least distinguish between no permission and read permission?

By default System.IO.File.Open() opens files in read/write mode so it would have been able to tell if it has write permission or not and report that. I rewrote it anyways to make it clear that is what the code is doing and to explain exactly why it cannot open the file for read/write either because it is locked by the OS or a lack of permissions or because the file disappeared.

wajack!
Oct 1, 2006

by Fragmaster
I would very much like an app that shuts down the Vista sidebar when I load a game, and turns it back on when I exit. The sidebar really messes up game performance and it's a pain to have to turn it on and off all the time.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

NashAsh posted:

I remember NotepadEx being able to do this.

According to its features:
NotepadEx can restore the cursor position when opening recently used files
Ah, this works fine. Thanks!

How do I delete this? :3:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177530935

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Dicky B posted:

Ah, this works fine. Thanks!

How do I delete this? :3:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177530935

The prefered method is just to add
code:
|filled = [url]http://notepadex.cjb.net/[/url]
to the template. That will remove it from the open request list.

Phase
Feb 21, 2007

I'd like a small app that connects via bluetooth to my laptop that could when a call is coming display a notification from the tray with the number (or name if it's in my phonebook, if possible)

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177699392

mybrownianmotion
Jan 8, 2005
Take interval to the left......
I have several external hard drives, a 1 TB and 2 500's. I would like to put the data on the 1 TB onto the 2 500's and vice versa. I request a small app that will
exchange data between the drives. It would be a big pain in the rear end to get another drive to act as the intermediate while I copy and paste.

rfeo
Jul 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I request a program or a firefox plug-in that combines all pages of a thread into one (extraordinarily) long single page. This must work with sa forums, but not necessarily be exclusively sa.

rfeo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 28, 2007

Chicken Nuggets
Apr 12, 2007
Parts is parts

Zeenoside posted:

I want an application that runs on the console and on a keystroke, it returns what button was pressed.

For example you press F5 and it says F5.

I am really puzzled by why you want this. What in the world would you do with such a thing? Or did you just want to see the code?

Here is my request:

I would like something that would travese the source tree of a Visual Studio project and count how many lines of code there are. It would need to skip all the Visual Studio code that is automatically generated, so that it is an accurate representation of how many lines of code I have written. It needs to work in both VS 2003 and VS 2005 projects. It is a little easier in VS 2005 since you have all the GUI stuff in a separate source file, but I still have a lot of VS 2003 projects to profile as well.

Second request: (more complicated)

It would be interesting to know how many lines of code I write in a day. I write and delete a lot throughout the day, so this would be some kind of process that runs continuously and samples the source files looking for differences. For example, at the end of an hour, I may have added 20 lines of code to a program, but during that hour I added 100 lines.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

How about a windows context menu for uploading files to a specified FTP host. Say I right click a folder and select FTP Upload > mysite.com it will upload the specified folder and all of the sub folders and files contained within. The ability to add mulitple FTP hosts would be a definite plus. Id also prefer for it to overwrite existing files by default. Thanks guys.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177796654

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Felony posted:

How about a windows context menu for uploading files to a specified FTP host. Say I right click a folder and select FTP Upload > mysite.com it will upload the specified folder and all of the sub folders and files contained within. The ability to add mulitple FTP hosts would be a definite plus. Id also prefer for it to overwrite existing files by default. Thanks guys.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177796654

You mean something like this? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2407057

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Yea I think that would do it. Thanks man.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Just looking for some input for the site - 2 things I've been playing with are a form to add an application, rather than forcing users to play with wikicode, and a rating system for applications and requests. Any opinions on whether I should finish these, or any other ideas on how to make the site more useable?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I'd like an app that would...rename one file to be the same name as another. gently caress I dunno how that would work :smith:.

I just use subtitles a lot since im deaf and the dubbing codec only dubs subtitle files if they are the same name as the movie file (except extentions) it's just annoying having to copy the file name and paste it every time v:shobon:v . Maybe a thing where I select two files with ctrl and either press a hotkey or right click menu and duplicate name v:shobon:v .

.Boo.
Feb 26, 2007
^_^
Is there any way that I could get an application(is it even possible?) that automatically resizes the quick launch/other shortcut folders on the taskbar? For some reason, (using xp) it keeps getting resized and either a) not all of them fit or b) they stretch out too far, leaving little/no room for applications on the taskbar.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

I'd like an app that would...rename one file to be the same name as another. gently caress I dunno how that would work :smith:.

I just use subtitles a lot since im deaf and the dubbing codec only dubs subtitle files if they are the same name as the movie file (except extentions) it's just annoying having to copy the file name and paste it every time v:shobon:v . Maybe a thing where I select two files with ctrl and either press a hotkey or right click menu and duplicate name v:shobon:v .
I've got an idea for something, give me a few.

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

.Boo. posted:

Is there any way that I could get an application(is it even possible?) that automatically resizes the quick launch/other shortcut folders on the taskbar? For some reason, (using xp) it keeps getting resized and either a) not all of them fit or b) they stretch out too far, leaving little/no room for applications on the taskbar.

Not sure if this'll help, but once you get things layed out the way you like them you can right click on the taskbar and select "Lock the Taskbar". That should prevent anything from getting moved unintentionally.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Neurozys posted:

Just looking for some input for the site - 2 things I've been playing with are a form to add an application, rather than forcing users to play with wikicode, and a rating system for applications and requests. Any opinions on whether I should finish these, or any other ideas on how to make the site more useable?
A quick-and-dirty form would be excellent. Most of us (assuming) don't know wiki formatting. Not to mention it would shorten the time to formulate a request. I'm indifferent about a rating system.

Revelations
Nov 17, 2004

heh, that's me. i'm wilson.

Neurozys posted:

ideas on how to make the site more useable?

If there isn't one I just can't find, it'd be cool to add a download count on the filled requests/applications pages. Other than that I got nothin.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

edit: Moving to the wiki:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Duplicate_Renamer

DLCinferno fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 29, 2007

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

JediGandalf posted:

A quick-and-dirty form would be excellent. Most of us (assuming) don't know wiki formatting. Not to mention it would shorten the time to formulate a request. I'm indifferent about a rating system.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Add_Application should help. It is quite quick and dirty, but it works.

.Boo.
Feb 26, 2007
^_^

Neurozys posted:

Not sure if this'll help, but once you get things layed out the way you like them you can right click on the taskbar and select "Lock the Taskbar". That should prevent anything from getting moved unintentionally.

Yeah, I do that, but I have one quick launch on the left for apps and one on the right for games. When I open multiple things with taskbar icons (Steam, xfire, itunes, gaim) it will hide portions of my games. It's nothing serious, just annoying.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!
This should be simple, I guess, but my knowledge of how VB/C coding interacts with Windows is limited.

I would like to see a program that (I'll use this on startup) grabs the current date from Windows, changes the year to a few years ahead, waits ten seconds or so, then changes it back and exits. It'd be nice if the program could pull some values (the delay time and the amount to add to the year) from a config file, but beggar's can't be choosers. :) Again, I don't know if this is hard or easy to do (if Windows (XP) has any restrictions on changing the system clock), but I'm just throwing that out there.

FeedbackBsr
Apr 26, 2007
http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177829800

Removal of the "Send Link" and "Send Image" buttons in Firefox...I HATE accidently clicking them :D

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

windwaker posted:

This should be simple, I guess, but my knowledge of how VB/C coding interacts with Windows is limited.

I would like to see a program that (I'll use this on startup) grabs the current date from Windows, changes the year to a few years ahead, waits ten seconds or so, then changes it back and exits. It'd be nice if the program could pull some values (the delay time and the amount to add to the year) from a config file, but beggar's can't be choosers. :) Again, I don't know if this is hard or easy to do (if Windows (XP) has any restrictions on changing the system clock), but I'm just throwing that out there.

Well, I assume you want to do this to fool some app that's starting up into thinking it's the future. You could just do that with a batch file, eg

Example.bat
code:
echo on
SET today DATE/T
REM Set some arbitrary future date
DATE 10-10-10

REM do whatever you need to do - REPLACE THE NEXT LINE!
FutureBigPenis.exe -10 inches

REM There's no SLEEP for some stupid reason. this should work.
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 8 -w 1000 > nul
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 -w 1000 > nul

DATE %today%
and start the app you need to fool with that in that .bat

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

FeedbackBsr posted:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1177829800

Removal of the "Send Link" and "Send Image" buttons in Firefox...I HATE accidently clicking them :D

Try the Menu Editor extension

rfeo
Jul 22, 2006

by Lowtax

rfeo posted:

I request a program or a firefox plug-in that combines all pages of a thread into one (extraordinarily) long single page. This must work with sa forums, but not necessarily be exclusively sa.

singlepagethread.rar
http://www.sendspace.com/file/nadwk0

you want poo poo done, you gotta do it yourself.
Not very convenient, but works. I am sure my code and output html breaks all known standards.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Neurozys posted:

Try the Menu Editor extension

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I hated how I'd accidentally click it and then have to wait for Outlook Express to run (despite uninstalling it ages ago).

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Revelations posted:

If there isn't one I just can't find, it'd be cool to add a download count on the filled requests/applications pages. Other than that I got nothin.

Well, I had to write my own, but here we are three hours later with a download counter! Everything started out at 0, begining today. Sorry, but there was no way for me to get old download information, except possibly going through a month's work of server logs, which I'm not even sure exist, much less that I would have access to them.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

DLCinferno posted:

edit: Moving to the wiki:

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Duplicate_Renamer

Thanks, but when I try and drag a .avi it says 'Path is not of legal form' or something like that.

Inquisitus
Aug 4, 2006

I have a large barge with a radio antenna on it.
Is it just me, or are none of the requests on tinyappz actually tiny? Most of them seem like quite a bit of work from a C# programmer's point of view :confused:

Neurozys
Apr 15, 2004

Inquisitus posted:

Is it just me, or are none of the requests on tinyappz actually tiny? Most of them seem like quite a bit of work from a C# programmer's point of view :confused:

The easy ones get cherry picked pretty quick. I don't know, maybe I should make requests expire after a week or two so the list doesn't get filled up with near impossible projects. Or at least move them to a seperate "probably not so tiny" list.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Xachariah posted:

Thanks, but when I try and drag a .avi it says 'Path is not of legal form' or something like that.
You need to drag two files at once, and if you want the subs to be named the same as the .avi, you need to type .avi into the "Parent Extensions" box.

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

Inquisitus posted:

I dunno. The most amount of "time" spent on one app would probably be my SystemStats app. That was mostly looking up how to do things though.

However, I'm kind of working on something that was tied to a request (printscreen auto upload). That's turning out to be a not-so-quick or tiny app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digibawb
Dec 15, 2004
got moo?

JediGandalf posted:

I dunno. The most amount of "time" spent on one app would probably be my SystemStats app. That was mostly looking up how to do things though.

However, I'm kind of working on something that was tied to a request (printscreen auto upload). That's turning out to be a not-so-quick or tiny app.

Might wanna take a look at:

http://www.digibob.co.uk/filez/ScreenshotUpload-src.zip

Something I did for the last thread. Not sure what part of the app you are having problems with though, so I dunno :)

• Locked thread