Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I would love to see a VU meter that was nice and simple, resizable, and looked appealing. Nothing with a toolbar or any other border, just a neat little meter that sits on your desktop. Being able to switch from analog to digital readouts would be a huge plus but it's not necessary, analog is my favorite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter

I've grown accustomed to watching the little needle go back and forth when working in the studio, I'd love to have it on my computer too. I've tried other programs out there but they all seem to suck in one way or another. I have faith in goons to get it right!

I realize that this looks a bit more difficult than some of the others requested here, but I think a lot of people would love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

binary_hero posted:

If you can find an artist, or if you don't mind badly photoshopped images ripped from google images, and if you don't mind .NET, I would quite like to have a stab at this on Monday. Unless anyone comes along and does it in the next couple of days or something.

The first image in the wiki article I posted there would be perfect, it's a little big but that's OK because the program can resize it to whatever size (if possible). Also, I forgot to mention this but usually there are 2 meters, one for each channel.

Thanks!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Would it be in bad form to request a second one?

If not, I would love to see this as well: A Firefox extension that allows uploading pictures to multiple hosts, ideally as many of the popular ones as possible (waffle, imageshark, photobucket, imagesocket, etc.)

This is what I want:

I want it so I can post pictures on other forums besides SA just as easily.:3:

Edit: I didn't add it to the wiki because I didn't know if it would be cool to have 2 open requests. If it's not cool then just ignore this post.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Neurozys posted:

I don't know where you're getting this 2 request rule. I'd rather have as many requests as possible, that way I can cherry pick the interesting ones (or at least the ones I think I can do.) I wouldn't be surprised if the other contributers agree. Even if they don't agree, it's my thread :yarr:

Edit: PS - Cheesey, I'm still looking at the VU Meter. I've found a sample app with audio sampling, just need to figure out how to draw it.

I just didn't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat, "WORK MY LITTLE PROGRAMMING BITCHES!"

It seems like a VU meter would be fairly easy thing to do since it's pretty simple on the hardware level too. There isn't a lot going on to do that. But then again, all I know of programming is some Java and stupid little batch files.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Neurozys posted:

Try the Menu Editor extension

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I hated how I'd accidentally click it and then have to wait for Outlook Express to run (despite uninstalling it ages ago).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Revelations posted:

I've been doing a bit of work on this, but some details would be nice. You want it to monitor a single channel, or a stream, or a port(mic, line in, etc)? You want the characteristic VU meter delay of roughly 300ms, right? I can't very well just default the first available sound channel, would you like to be able to select one(could run more than one meter this way) or have it default to the first active stream it can find? I haven't started on the "visually appealing" part yet, so if you have an example of your usual screen layout I can try to design it to fit in.

It's a fun project so far, learning a lot since I don't work with audio at my job.

I want it to monitor the output to the speakers, the way a traditional mixer would be. For example: this would include music playing in Winamp, a windows beep or sound, a flash game in Firefox, etc. All that would show up on the VU meter. This would be it's default setting, but being able to select a Mic or Line-In input for finer control would be nice too, getting a whole string of meters across the top of the screen would be :awesome:

The 300ms is not really a delay, what it basically means is that it takes 300ms for the needle to go from -20 (or whatever the bottom is on your particular meter) to 0.

Basically I want 2 of these right next to each other for left/right channels and have them resizable to that they aren't taking massive amounts of space on the desktop.

I know it sounds kind of like a big project but it would be awesome.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 2, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Revelations posted:

Give it some time, I'm working on this when I can catch a couple spare minutes. Thanks for the input, that'll help direct my efforts some.

Thanks, no hurry.

• Locked thread