Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Is there a way to tell the difference between an animated GIF and a regular one in software? I have a big pile of GIFs I got from a website and I want to sort them into two folders (animated, not animated). I feel like a simple script could do this if there is a key difference in file headers or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Mad Brahmin posted:

This is pretty easy to do in c# since the Image type from System.Drawing contains a method to get the number of frames in an image. This should move all animated gifs in the same directory as sortgifs.exe or a specified path into ./animated and all static images into ./static.

https://sites.google.com/site/madbrahmin/SortGifs.zip

edit: beaten

WOW that worked like a dream! Thank you! Also thank you mobby but I didn't have the requisite equipment for yours.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Looking for an app that calculates barbell weight for lifting. Similar to this:
http://www.appsfuze.com/applications/windowsphone.fitness/barbell-calculator,5546

Taking into account the bar is 45 lbs. I want to be able to enter in 285 and see what weights are needed to put on the bar. Increments are 2.5lbs, 5, 10, 25, 35, 45.

Can you honestly not figure that out in your head? Maybe you should spend less time lifting weight and more time practicing elementary math.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Here's what the OP posted:

Neurozys posted:

Here's an archive of every app that was hosted on tinyappz.com. The wiki text is not included, since parsing it out of the database dump would be a huge pain, and I'm not going to put the dump online since it contains the email addresses of people who registered on the site. It's 28 MB.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BykLs0u-FbuDOTg1NjViNjctZDhhZi00MTNiLWI2MzktOWRmNzI5YjZmODE3&hl=en

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

KillHour posted:

Ok, so I have an HDTV hooked up as a mirrored monitor so I can play games or watch Netflix from my couch. The only problem is that I have to constantly switch my default audio device manually every time I switch between SPDIF and headphones. I have a fancy keyboard that will let me call programs with the media keys, so I need a program that will pop up in the background when I press a key and switch the audio output. Pressing the key again should switch it back. Basically, a program that flips the output every time it's run, then closes.

I need this too! My fiancé uses our gaming rig for work with a USB headset and we have to manually toggle between headset and speakers every time either one of us sits down.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Uncheck "Constrain Proportions" you silly goose!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Then Crop the image into a square whilst not loosing any of the image.

:psyduck:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Aren't teamspeak's hotkeys global? I don't think many people would use it if they had to alt-tab back to Teamspeak every time they wanted to say something.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

What I am saying is all you have to do is send the keystroke that teamspeak is expecting and you don't have to do any real code. Just:

code:
VK45::Q
Where VK45 is whatever the address of your media key is, and Q is whatever button teamspeak's hotkey is bound to.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Just press it and look at your key history in autohotkey.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

I wish I wasn't in the middle of the last semester of my academic career right now because it would be pretty easy to whip up a ruby script that does exactly what you're asking for in Linux.

If you have ever been even remotely interested in programming you could easily use this as a "my first Ruby script" with a very small amount of time invested. If you're still looking for such a thing in a month, PM me!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Would anyone be interested in making a Windows 7 desktop gadget that does a slideshow of animated gifs?

If you know javascript well enough I am pretty sure it is just a question of modifying C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\SlideShow.Gadget\en-US\js\slideShow.js

The reason I'm asking is I downloaded all 125 of these and a desktop gadget seems like the easiest way to make them in to animated desktop backgrounds.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

thehustler posted:

Would somebody be able to either write me or link me to an app that already exists that can take a folder full of files and arrange them into new folders for burning onto the smallest amount of DVDs?

I believe this is called the bin packing problem.

OSX preferred, Windows will do as well. Both? You can have my first born.

It is also commonly known as the "knapsack" problem, and I think this does what you're asking for: http://superuser.com/questions/85466/utility-to-optimally-distribute-files-onto-multiple-dvds

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Gromit posted:

I'll take a look, thanks. At no point does it specify sleep per se, but maybe the other terms it uses are the same thing.

Suspend and "Sleep" are the same thing.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

huhu posted:

I'm looking for something that will allow me to quickly sort a bunch of photos I have. Basically the interface I would like would have the picture, and then a yes/no voting system using keys on the keyboard or clicking. Clicking one direction would cause the photo to go into one folder, and another key would put it into a different folder. An additional, but unnecessary feature would be that you could click once to change the orientation of the picture. So for example, if the picture is upside-down, I would just need to click once to flip it right side up instead of clicking rotate 90 degrees, rotate 90 degrees. Thanks so much!

This already exists!! It is in this very thread and I think it had "sort" in the name.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Don't most operating systems already do this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

How hard would it be to alter my laptop's sound card driver to lower the gain on the audio? The lowest notch on the volume is still way too loud for my headphones and there is apparently no way to fix this in the OS.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

Before adjusting volume with Volume Mixer, did you set the highest volume you would like for the device in Control Panel > Sound > (Device) > Properties > Levels ?

Device properties are driver-dependent and on my laptop the only thing in that tab is a slider that maps 1-to-1 with the regular volume control slider.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

That's super easy to do with autohotkey. If you can't figure it out I can make you a little script later tonight after I figure out why my desktop isn't booting.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

nexxai posted:

Ok, I've tried to wrap my head around Swift and Xcode for the last few days and being that I'm absolutely not a programmer, am not getting very far.

What I'm trying to do is build a VERY simple app for my wife that tracks her decision making; specifically whether she made a good choice or a bad choice.

The way I envision it, the main screen would just be two big buttons "Good Decision" and "Bad Decision" and something smaller at the bottom to review previously recorded ones, and then once either is clicked, the next screen asks for the time/date of the decision and a description of the circumstances surrounding it, and then the ability to save it in CoreData.

The list of previously recorded decisions could be sorted by good/bad decision, or by date.

An example:

GOOD DECISION -> April 4, 2016 7:45PM, "Chose to not have thirds of a meal." -> Save.

That's literally it. Depending on the results, I'd even consider buying all of the source code from you so I can make it pretty for her with graphics and stuff.

Can anyone help me out?

Sometimes I'm like, "man, i forgot to roll the trash to the curb last night. I'm such a poo poo husband." And then I see a dude on the internet who nags his wife with such enthusiasm and dedication that he's literally outsourcing it to a mobile dev so he can keep it going even when he's not around. lovely husband telepresence: the future is now.

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 7, 2016

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Does anyone still have a link to the image-sorting program from way way long ago in this thread (or maybe the original?) It was SO drat useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

leper khan posted:

Just going to chime in that the appropriate thing to do if a site is down is to check /less/ frequently, so as to avoid over congestion.

This is free and does what you want I think: http://www.spiceworks.com/free-network-troubleshooting-tool/

• Locked thread