Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

See the application Soundswitch I mentioned 7 posts previous.

I'm the developer, and with the help I just received from this thread will be releasing some updates to it over the coming weeks.

This type of application would be wonderful.
Unfortunately, in Vista (and later) this can only be done by something like AutoIt. In windows XP a simple registry change would change the default device, but they removed that in Vista, only allowing the user to make the change via that control panel applet. They have nice APIs to query the sound devices and do a lot of things with them, just not change the default one :( .

In my opinion, while i do understand their reasons , i disagree with MS on this one. Seems like a management decision that has nothing to do with developers' needs or users for that matter. Completely disconnected from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

I'm looking for an FTP program that can be set to run only during certain hours and turns off at the appointed time - and supports auto-resume.

Right now I cobbled together WinSCP portable command lines and Task Scheduler but I have no faith that the program is stopping when it should or even that it is working correctly (worked the first day, no files downloaded last night) and pretty much is limited to syncing the remote directory. I only get 15 GB a month with free download hours from 0230-0730 so it is a bit of a pain in the rear end to get anything without staying up late. Ideally I'd be able to que up the files for download and see the program running in the foreground.

Forums upgrade/AV/etc for anyone who wants to take on that task or can recommend me a program that fits the bill (I have tried googleing it with no luck).

Wouldn't something like http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ work? I believe it does have scheduling. If that won't work for you, there are download managers out there that can help you out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sir_Substance posted:

That's a classic data quality problem you have there. Talk to the people who make electronic health records about trying to get consistent data out of hand written notes from mds, they know about this stuff!

If you don't feel like doing a PhD on data sanitization while you make this, you're going to have to force consistency before you start trying to process it.I would look at replacing that excel sheet with something more rigid, or at least making it a template with drop downs, and then insist that people fill it out correctly. If you don't, you'll always have to double check the results of any conversion for accuracy, in which case you've done nothing but save some wrist strain.

To expand on this, ideally you would have some application (web/desktop/whatever) that presents them with a UI where they can enter the data and where data can be validated. That would be the easiest option. From that app, then one could easily build "Export to Excel" functionality to give them their useless sheets if they really want them.

Otherwise will always be a cat and mouse game, and no matter how idiot-proof your script may be, the universe will always make "better" idiots.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Went way far back in the thread looking for something that never got fulfilled and that I wanted.

I'd like a chrome extension/app that watches different sites every 30seconds/1min for HTTP 200 status. It doesn't have to be pretty. Must handle redirects.
Bonus points:
- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently.
- all sites fit on page without scrolling
Hyper Combo:
- User defined words can cause different status (ie; I see the word maintenance, be an orange box)
- chart status over course of the day on mouseover
Combo Breaker Hyperpoints:
- accept outside ajax requests to create/update boxes

Concept:

I did something similar but started running into blocking/wait issues when watching 20+ sites. Haven't got around to re-writing it in Javascript.
Can definitely rustle up :20bux: if that would take more than an afternoon.

Inspired by:

Why does it need to be a Chrome extension? This looks to be exactly what tools like nagios (mrtg and others) have been created for . Is there a particular reason? For the "accept outside ajax requests to create/update boxes" requirement it pretty much requires it to be a desktop application as you cannot (or shouldn't) listen on a socket from an extension.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

deadly_pudding was originally wanting to do a chrome extension and taking suggestions. Any approach works for me.

Ah, ok. So, i did a bit of fiddling with this, as I wanted to try out a couple of new c++ libraries (crow http and MS PPL). The source-code and the first release are available at https://github.com/sa55231/WebMonitoring. The direct URL for this release is https://github.com/sa55231/WebMonitoring/releases/download/v0.1/WebMonitoring.zip .

It is a 64bit windows service, which provides a web server available at port 18080 (therefore http://localhost:18080/ will work, as well as [url]http://[/url]<my local ip>:18080/). I'm not sure how new of a windows requires, but anything newer than Vista should be fine.
In the readme on github I provided some basic documentation of how to get it up and going.

Things that will come in the future:
- Historical graph
- Speed up requests when the site does not provide a success status. At the moment it checks at 60 seconds interval, no matter what.

On my local machine, using the release build, it uses 40MB of RAM when monitoring 117 sites. It should be relatively ok with quite a few more. For any bugs (of which Im sure there are many) or feature requests, open up and issue on github and i'll do my best to make it happen.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
That's strange. I installed it here at work (had to change the user that the service is running under to Localsystem since Network Service was simply not allowed to do anything, thanks IT) and seems to work. Granted, I am using Firefox and a RestClient extension for it, but I tried chrome and Advanced Rest Client extension, and that worked too.
What extension are you using? Though I can't imagine the extension itself being the problem, I mean they all should work in the same way....

Try giving the service Local System permissions (look at the code, it's not doing anything fancy). Or, if you want to just run it as a console application as the user you're logged in, you can delete the %PROGRAMDATA%\webmon folder and start it from a console window as "WebMonitoring.exe -run". The %PROGRAMDATA%\webmon folder contains the sqlite database the application is using.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Running it with my local user seemed to work.

However I'm already not understanding how its getting error 500 on two of the main urls I watch. My understanding is they are behind a redirect.

It does follow redirects, as a http://google.com/ URL demonstrates (that one just redirects to local site then to https://google.com/). I tried your url's and they do work for me:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Those do not match my urls.

Hah, you're right, my bad. Fixed those and the correct ones work as well. http://imgur.com/a/X0Efh

Try to run it as LocalSystem to just eliminate that possibility. If that works then it means that there is some permission problem which needs to be addressed, but at least I can look into it with that knowledge. I'm not comfortable with it running as LocalSystem, as it does listen on a port and that's not secure no matter how you look at it, but at least gives me a starting point. Nothing else works for you (google?).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Google works for me. As does Example.com

I'll try it at home tonight.
edit: Local System Account didn't change the outcome at my workplace.

That's strange. They do work from the browser, normally, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Chunjee posted:

Google works for me. As does Example.com

I'll try it at home tonight.
edit: Local System Account didn't change the outcome at my workplace.

I was able to replicate the problem in a windows 7 VM (IE11, provided by microsoft to developers). The exact error is WINHTTP_CALLBACK_STATUS_FLAG_SECURITY_CHANNEL_ERROR: The application experienced an internal error loading the SSL libraries. There's something wonky with either the client OS or the certificate (as google seems to be fine).

• Locked thread