Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

I would really love some functions in C++ (or C) that:
  • take an mp3 filename and fill out some kind of struct with all the information in their ID3v1.1 and ID3v2 tags (both).
  • take an mp3 filename and structs for their ID3v1.1 and ID3v2 tag and rewrite the file with the specified tag stuff

I would like to make a truly badass mass tag & rename program, but one that can also rename files based on their tag contents OR fill out all their tags taking info from their filenames (I have had to do both way too many times). Tag&Rename and iTunes just can't do what I want (iTunes refuses to care about ID3v1 tags).

Finding and reading both versions of tags in an mp3 file is the only part that I have no idea how to do and don't have any time to research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

VinylDood posted:

Not that you necessarily care, but a program like this is already out there. I use it A LOT. It's called Tag&Rename. Most useful program ever. It can even grab info from Amazon.com and CDDB.

Edit: gently caress, I suck at reading. :argh:
I've tried some version of that, but it couldn't do some of the things I needed. They also seem to be unfriendly to newer (or in the case of iTunes, older) versions of the ID3v2 tag. Is there a place to get Tag&Rename's source?

edit: Oh wow, the latest T&R is quite a bit more powerful than what I used. But you have to pay for it now. :(

Prettz fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 6, 2007

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

trashmatic posted:

id3lib would be the obvious thing... is there something particular it doesn't do?
Interesting. I'm gonna check that out. From the looks of their front page, full support for all of ID3v2.x is even harder than I already knew it was.

Mr. Heavy posted:

"ID3v2 support" is actually support for a whole bunch of conflicting ID3v2.x standards. Either only implement one minor version, or have fun. :)
Yeah. Unfortunately I'd really like to make something that handles ALL the v2.x formats and can change a file's ID3v2 to v2.4 (or whatever is most recent). Even the version of iTunes I have refused to see v2.3 tag data that was created with an older version of Winamp.

• Locked thread