Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mutata posted:

I just formatted and reinstalled, upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Ultimate, and now I have to manually switch my default Sound device from speakers to headphones (via Control Panel>Sounds panel). I made a shortcut, but I would love a program to run in the background that I could just hit a key combo and switch them.

If this is too much, let me know. Thanks!

I'll do this for you.

I need the names of your sound devices in the sounds panel. For example, the two sound output devices I switch between are called "Speakers" and "Headset Earphone".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mutata posted:

"Speakers" and "Headphones" is what they're listed as. Thanks a ton!

Let me know how this works.

I'm a lazy sort of guy and didn't make any sort of configuration for it. Each time you press Ctrl-Alt-Enter it will switch between "Speakers" and "Headphones". At least it's supposed to...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mutata posted:

Brilliant! An editable config for it would be awesome, but this is still ace! You're my hero.

This has an editable config file and thus should work for anyone wanting hot-key access to switching between playback devices. Pretty self-explanatory...I think.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Can anyone do this one? There's already a request for a RSS parser that will put a list of links in a file, so maybe you could combine them.
I wouldn't really need multiple RSS feeds since I can just merge them upstream and input that into your app. The only thing it'd need to go is grab inline and enclosures and stick them into a directory of my choice.

I want to merge several artsy-fartsy feeds in addition to flickr feeds from friends and show them on a digital picture frame.

Edit: basically a podcast downloader for pictures.
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1226482486

More edit: even if I can just dump an OPML file somewhere and get a bunch of pictures out that'd be peachy.

See if you can use John's Background Switcher to do what you need. It's made for rotating wallpapers, and it can do it from an RSS feed. It also has the option to save the photos to disk, so you may be able to work something out.

If not, post again, and I may take a look into what it would take to do this for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lum posted:

I've made a .GRF file in graphedit that takes an input from one (virtual) soundcard, runs it through the FFDShow Audio Processor and then outputs to another soundcard.

I can start GraphEdit with this file and click the play button and it will happily process all my audio in realtime, is there a nice app that can run my .GRF file in this way without manual intervention so that I can just stick it in the startup group and forget about it.

The purpose of this is for upmixing stereo audio to 4.1 for my Car PC via the FFDShow Mixer

I know nothing about GraphEdit, but this sounds like a job for AutoIt.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

I would love a quick windows xp program that simply has an option to change the default audio playback device. I change between headphones and speakers at my desk and it would be great to be able to quickly change without going into control panel.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1232515631

e: it would be great if it was just an icon in bottom panel rather than an app to open each change.

Previous page. :p

I haven't tested it on XP, let me know if it has problems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

Sorry I only checked up to about page 31 before I posted. That is exactly what I requested but doesn't seem to work on XP. It constantly says 'Script Paused' and each time I press Crtl+Shift+Enter it creates a new icon in the taskbar, which also flashes 'paused' with an X icon. The names of the devices on my computer are "SoundMAX HD Audio" and "Logitech USB Headset" if that is helpful. I'd also be interested in the source code if at all possible. Thanks

The post I linked to has a version which doesn't require the names of your devices. It has an INI file you edit with the number of each device you want to switch between with the number corresponding to it's position in the Sound playback list.

This doesn't meant there isn't problems with it on XP, though. Once you try that out let me know if there's still problems and I'll put XP on virtual machine and figure out whats up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

I had fiddled around with the INI file ...

Alright, I'll dick around with XP later.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Balzac Jones posted:

I hope this counts as tiny:

A plugin/extension/script/whatever-the-correct-term for Thunderbird that appends the subject header of every email, as it is received, to a text file.

Problem this would help solve: I work at an independent used book store, and we list books online. We list with four listing services (ABE, Alibris, Amazon, and Antiqbook, for the curious). We have about 14,000 books listed at any time. The listings are available to purchasers 24/7, due the magic of teh interwebs, but we are only open 12 hours a day, and we only have our internet sales department staffed 8 hours a day.

When a book is ordered on one listing website at 11 PM, there is currently nothing to prevent another customer from ordering the same book through another listing site at 1 AM. Obviously, we have to then cancel one of these two orders (or, in a few notable cases, three orders out of four for the same book), which makes neither the customer nor us happy.

There is currently no software solution on the market that can monitor and update listings placed on multiple services. However, we do immediately receive an email indicating that a book has sold, and all four services include our store's SKU# for the book in the email subject heading. I have already written a program to remove the listing for a SKU from all four websites, but I've become stuck on the step of getting the SKU out of Thunderbird.

A solution to this does not need to parse the SKU out of the subject heading, as my code will already do this. In fact, it should not parse the SKU, as we also receive product inquiries and status updates that contains SKUs as well. Skipping Thunderbird entirely and grabbing the info straight from POP3 would be just fine as well.

Bonus points for solutions that work for other major email programs as well, or for IMAP as well as POP3, as I would love to be able to give this to all the other online booksellers dealing with a similar problem (currently, it's just assumed by booksellers that lower customer satisfaction scores are a required trade-off for the wider exposure that comes from listing on multiple sites). For the same reason, additional bonus points for configurability and user-friendliness.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234188706

Does it have to use Thunderbird? What if it just fetches the email direct from the server? If this is ok, then I imagine this could be coded in like 20 lines of code.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Balzac Jones posted:

No, it does not have to use Thunderbird. Grabbing the email straight from a POP3 or IMAP server would fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the email showing up as normal in Thunderbird as well. Our particular ISP uses POP3 for incoming email. A solution that runs in Windows XP/Vista would be vastly preferable to a Linux solution, though.

I'll whip up something this evening or tomorrow.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Balzac Jones posted:

No, it does not have to use Thunderbird. Grabbing the email straight from a POP3 or IMAP server would fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the email showing up as normal in Thunderbird as well. Our particular ISP uses POP3 for incoming email. A solution that runs in Windows XP/Vista would be vastly preferable to a Linux solution, though.

Here you go.

You'll need to install Python on the system you're running it on. (Link goes to Windows installer)

Just open test.py in a text editor and fill in your server, username, password, and the file where you want to store the subject lines.

I'd test it on another email account or something to be sure it's leaving the emails on there. I tested it on mine and it worked fine.

If I were you, I'd just set up a scheduled task in windows to run 'test.py' once a minute or something like that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Biggest Disaster posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234898279

Looking for a program that can monitor a folder for any new image files, then automatically convert them to jpeg and upload them to a web server. If you are so inclined, having it automatically generate a thumbnail and upload that as well would be pretty handy.

I just want this to make it easier to share screenshots from video games and movies with the internet so it's hardly an absolute necessity that I get it; it would just make it much quicker for me.

You mean a web server that you have FTP access to, or something else?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Biggest Disaster posted:

Oh, yeah. Probably FTP would be the best.

I'll do this this weekend. Or at least, I'll look into doing it. :p

Is this for Windows?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

I posted this before but interest has died out on it. I'd like a small app for windows xp that can quickly change my default sound device from my speakers to my headphones, preferably something in the tasbar.

I forgot you were having problems with the one I coded. I'll look over it again. The problem is that I don't have an XP machine to test it on, but I may be able to work something out...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

I posted this before but interest has died out on it. I'd like a small app for windows xp that can quickly change my default sound device from my speakers to my headphones, preferably something in the tasbar.

Ok, try this out and let me know how it works. Since I'm running XP in VirtualPC I don't actually have any way to get more than one sound device to switch between, so some of my code is guess-work.

Briefly, just edit the ini file with the positions of the two devices you want to switch between in the Playback section of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box. Also, edit the hotkeys as described in the ini. After that it should switch between the two sources with a press of the hotkey.

This version should work on Vista and XP.

edit: I just fixed a bug, if you downloaded before now, just redownload.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 19, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

kri kri posted:

I tried this on Win 7 but it doesn't work, I have the same hardware from vista. Any ideas on getting it to work?

Yeah. I need to rewrite it to account for differences in each OS. In the meantime you can use the script I pasted in reply to your question in the Win7 thread. If you can't figure out how to use it, then you'll have to wait for my lazy rear end to do a rewrite.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah. I need to rewrite it to account for differences in each OS. In the meantime you can use the script I pasted in reply to your question in the Win7 thread. If you can't figure out how to use it, then you'll have to wait for my lazy rear end to do a rewrite.

I've had several people ask me about this lately, so I'm going to repost it with some changes I've made:

Soundswitch

Edit the ini file. Run the exe. You now have a hotkey to switch between sound devices. For example a USB headset and your speakers.

I've only seriously tested this on Windows7 64-bit. I have a routine in there that I wrote for XP, but I don't have an XP machine to test it out on. If people tell me what doesn't work, I'll try to fix it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hambeet posted:

I would like a quicker way from switching between 5.1 speaker configuration and headphones / stereo in the sound control panel in vista 64. Plugging my headphones into my computer, or my speaker doesn't channel just left or right into my headphones and I get very odd signals down left and right. So I manually everytime go into the control panel and change the configuration. One or two separate scripts would be fine for this.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you're asking for...does Soundswitch (I posted it earlier on this very page) not do what you want?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

m2pt5 posted:

Speaking of Soundswitch, did you see my edit to my post earlier in the page asking for a small tweak?

Yeah I saw it. Then I forgot about it. I'll see what I can do, but it'll probably be a week or so before I get a chance to work on it.

hambeet: That's doable. I'll work it into Soundswitch for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

I really hope you're all making tons of money in your day jobs, you guys deserve it!

I don't even work in IT. I own a residential construction company.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Swink posted:

Also - High five for soundswitch!

I thought I'd make a note for Soundswitch users: If you use Windows 7, sound output switches immediately. For example, if you're in a game and switch from speakers to headphones you don't have to restart the game. Same with any app outputting sound.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

And to think, if you were on a Unix system you could do this in one line! :twisted:

Or on a Win7 machine which has PowerShell. I'm not real familiar with PS, but I can't imagine it not being able to do this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mensur posted:

You can download powershell for vista and I think xp too.

True. I was just referring to the OS that has it "out-of-the-box" like unix-y type systems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

I've asked this question before but I didn't really get an answer...

How do I get started doing this type of programming? What programming languages are most of you using, and what is this .NET business? Teach a man to fish, etc.

If you're just going to mainly be programming little automation stuff, I highly recommend AutoIT.

I also extensively use python (use version 2.6.2), which has extensive documentation, is highly recommended for beginners, and is very powerful. This is a great book/tutorial for learning. Stop by the python megathread if you have any questions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Python! I should assume that most learning schemes eventually get around to Windows executables/programs with nifty GUIs and I shouldn't jump too quickly to those sections, right?

Right. Windows UI's have little to do with learning to program and just muddle up the learning experience.

When I started out, I was miffed about this...now I find that I hardly ever write a GUI for anything.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Veritron posted:

My current favorite way of learning programming is using Visual Studio and modifying something that I found on http://www.codeproject.com/ to suit my needs. It's much easier to start off with an example program and make it do what you want then to write it from scratch - you can also do this with open source code.

Switching languages is really easy once you've learned a few - learn C++, assembler and perl and everything else will look easy.

I know some like to do this, but personally I can't stand it, and have found that it leads to poor practices in some. I always just find it much easier to write what I want from scratch.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Manky posted:

I have a question about SoundSwitch, posted earlier in the thread. It's a great app, but is it possible to have to it actually go through the list of connected audio devices instead of just toggling between two?

Sure. I've had a couple of requests for other features. I'll add this to the list. Maybe I'll get around to implementing them this weekend.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Polluxx Troy posted:

Would it be possible to create a tiny program that takes the Album Date and Album name from the first music file (mp3, wma, flac, etc), and renames the parent folder in this format?

YYYY - [Album Name]

I'm not going to do this for you, but I'll ask the question someone who does do it will want to ask you....What do you mean by "first music file"? First in what way?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

hambeet posted:

Instead of going into the control panel -> Sound -> Configure (on my primary device) and then switching between stereo and 5.1 manually each time, I was after a script that with a click of an icon, or a hotkey (soundswitch is perfect for this) It will switch to 5.1. Pressing the hotkey will put it back to the stereo speaker configuration.

m2pt5 posted:

I love you.

Edit: One tiny issue - it switches both the default sound device and the default communication device. Could you add an option to switch the sound device only? I have no reason to have the communications device on anything but my headset.

Manky posted:

I have a question about SoundSwitch, posted earlier in the thread. It's a great app, but is it possible to have to it actually go through the list of connected audio devices instead of just toggling between two?

Done, done, and done but only for Windows 7 right now (Is that a small market or what?). Vista will come soon, I'm not sure if I'll bother with XP because I don't have any computers with XP on them. See here.

Version 2 Notes

I’ve added a good number of features in the latest version. All accessible through the .ini file.

* “Scroll” through each enabled item in your Sound panel.
* Hide the tray icon
* Switch between two speaker configurations for your current active playback device
* Switch/scroll just the default comm device, default playback device, or both
* Hotkey to terminate the program

Windows makes automating the sound devices very difficult. Thus, the method to automate this is quite "hacky". Please let me know if there's any problems. I would guess there are bugs as the number of lines to add these features went from like 20 to over 400.

The only testing I've done is on Win7 x64.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Okay I've searched all over, tried a bunch of freeware garbage, and still can't find something that is as basic as I want.

I'm looking for a wallpaper randomizer/changer for Vista 64. Basic as possible, all I really want is to be able to:
1 - Choose a folder full of images
2 - specify amount of time between changes
3 - tiny, runs in the background with a systray icon that links to the settings

All the freeware stuff I've tried has either used way more RAM than it should, has some terribly overdone GUI or stops working after awhile. I searched around TinyAppz but couldn't find anything already done. If someone is bored and wants to play with it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks :)

http://www.johnsadventures.com/software/backgroundswitcher/

Everyone I point this out to seems to love it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Soundswitch updated to work with Vista. Not really any need to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.01 unless you need Vista compatibility.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Manky posted:

It seems like the device switching isn't as smooth as it was in v.1, but it still works great. Thank you for the new features! No problems so far (running W7 64bit, natch).

Yeah, it's not.

It's got to retrieve the states (default, default comm, default device) of all the items since I added the new features.

I'll probably do an update soon to use the old method of switching if you're only using the old behavior (toggling default between two items).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Mattybee posted:

I don't know if, strictly speaking, this counts as an app, so someone tell me before I put it up.

I need something like a Firefox addon or a Greasemonkey script that will not allow me to click on sites that are blacklisted. I don't mean just "oh, if you go there, the site pops up and then tells you it's blocked", I don't even want the option to click on a link to it - I want it to turn into plaintext so I can't even be vaguely sort of tempted.

EDIT: BlockSite does what I want, but freaks out after 14 or so sites blocked.

This makes me idly curious. What do you want this for?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

spoon0042 posted:

alright, an excuse to mess around in qbasic :v:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/SampleMap

qbasic....what memories. I wrote a whole text-based windowing system in qbasic once. That was fun.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I need a Win32 command line app that will detect if a user session is idle or not. Apparently the GetLastInputInfo call can be used for this, but I'm not a programmer so what the hell do I know? I only need it to work for the console session if that makes a difference. Something where I can input the number of idle minutes to check for and have it return true or false also with the appropriate errorlevel would be best, but something that returns the time that it has been idle would work as well.

one minute...I'll have this in a jiffy...

Here you go. It's simple and not what I'd call robust.

code:
idle 5000
-Returns True if session has been idle for longer than 5000 milliseconds

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 1, 2009

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bloodsoup posted:

Youtube is aggravating me. Maybe this is just useless bitching, if so I apologize, but here goes:

I would like a browser plugin or something that, upon receiving the far-too-common messages that "this video has been removed due to a terms of use violation", or the other one about having the sound muted because a song was used without permission, would automatically contact youtube and tell them that their site is lovely and broken now. Or possibly do this by using youtube's comment or rating features on whatever video you're trying to watch, though you would have to be signed in to do this.

I guess what really bothers me is thinking that I'm going to watch/hear something, only to click and be disappointed. I wish they would show a message indicating video status beforehand so I wouldn't bother.

I like this idea. Except, I'd rather it send the comment to the RIAA/MPAA/whatever douchebag organization was responsible. Then I wish the extension/plugin became hugely popular. Then I wish the organization responsible would explode from the number of emails/comments received.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

Hey Folks,

Looks like I need your skills. I would love to have an app that:

Either sits in the tray or is launched that allows me to disable previously specified devices in the device manager, and allows to re-enable them at a later point. Windows 7 compatibility would be really neat as I have XP and 7 machines.
Bonus brownie points if I can bind this action to a keyboard shortcut.

The idea is to have a shortcut for my laptop so that I can kill wireless, Bluetooth and the webcam to save further power, as my physical kill-switch on the laptop is broken.

I've found that it gives me roughly 40-50minutes of extra life, when I'm typing out text, and I'd much rather disable the connectivity than dim the display when typing out text.

I'm sure that other folks may find this useful too, especially so if you can configure the devices it shuts off yourself.

Look in to devcon.exe

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I originally posted about this in this thread, so here's an update.

I've just finished an update that gets Soundswitch running on Win7 RTM.

For those unawares, Soundswitch lets you switch sound devices on-the-fly with a hotkey. So, for example, you can switch between a USB headset and your speakers by pressing a hotkey instead of using the multiple clicks you've got to do without Soundswitch.

Here it is.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Zhentar posted:

I'm looking for inspiration to develop it myself as much as an actual app, but I'm want an app that makes my computer irritating to use during certain time periods. Nothing that makes the computer unusable, just a little extra kick to say "come on, wrap it up, get going".

Any ideas?

Reposition your computer between your legs and make it open the cd drawer at random intervals.

Failing that, something that drastically changes your mouse sensitivity at random intervals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

FAG posted:

Yeah, it didn't go up on tinyappz.com I don't think :/
edit: I found it! http://blog.contriving.net/2009/05/04/a-hotkey-to-switch-between-headphones-and-speakers-soundswitch/#comments

I'm glad you like it! :D

I haven't worked on it in awhile, but if you have any suggestions or whatever, just post a comment on the blog.

• Locked thread