Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I've not found a util that can do this (if there is one i'd love to know).
What i'm looking for is a util that can open (and close) a number of applications, files and stop/start services in one click.

The purpose of this is when I am working on a project, I always load the same apps and files each time, typically this would be:
Dreamweaver
Zend Studio
A wikidpad file for notes and documentation etc
Start Apache (the service on my local machine)
Start MySQL (the service on my local machine)
A few folders in explorer
Firefox, to the local development site

Then when i'm done, I close them all down again.

I might then work on a different project that requires a different set of applications, services and files to be opened/started. (Say, Installshield, Photoshop, Snagit, Robohelp)

Then say I want to play a game, I close most of the apps I have open, stop unnecessary services etc

I would envision the program to have a list of "profiles", each profile defines a list of services/files/folders/applications to open. You click the "open" button for the profile and all the defined things open up.
A second button, "close", closes them all.
This would need to be intelligently done so that it does not try to open stuff that's already open or close things that are already there etc. (and if you're switching from one profile to another that it doesn't close an app then immediately reopen it, since that's unnecessary).

The open/close profile should not affect stuff that's not in its list (so it leaves, say, trillian alone).

Lastly, a profile should be storable in an individual file so that it can be transported to different machines and still operate correctly (assuming that each machine has the same apps installed in the same places, the same services, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread