Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Sharrow posted:

I run Synergy on my desktop, and certain games won't process input correctly if it's running. Unreal Engine games in particular. If Synergy is running, I can't even move around.

Oh I've been having this issue too recently. I'm not sure if Autohotkey scripts are considered an app but I just wrote this and it should handle the issue and let you add games without having something recompiled. change synergys to synergyc if you need to close a client instead of the server.

code:
GroupAdd, Games , Calculator
GroupAdd, Games , UnrealTournement Window Name

Loop
{
WinWait ahk_group Games ;Wait for a window whose title is in the group
Process close, synergys.exe ;End the synergys process
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Anyone willing to make a tiny app that will play an mp3 or wav file every X or X + rand(Y) minutes without any intervention?

Don't have a Win8 system to check with but it should be fine unless they destroyed the task tray. Out of curiosity, what's this for?

Happiness Periodic Mp3 Player
- Settings are in config.ini
- Will play .wav or .mp3 (mp3 requires codecs?)
- Right click task tray icon and choose "Quit" to exit
- Set Y to 0 if you want no randomness
- 32 bit

My request is an IRC client or addon that will read channel chatter in Text to Speech, preferably Microsoft Anna.
I've never been agreeable to mICR so I'd like something standalone; however now that I've added "addon" to my google searches, I'm finally finding stuff that might work...

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Forget the reason for that but I always have to use this when a windows user wants something formatted in FAT32: FAT32 Formatter v1.1

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Thanks. You are awesome. I am using it as a lucid dreaming tool. I am going to run it 24/7 with a noticeable but innocuous sound of crickets chirping. During my waking hours, every time I hear the chirp, I will perform one or several reality checks to determine if I am dreaming (flying, breathing through a closed nose, etc). After several days when that behavior is programmed, I will do the same thing in my dreams. And then I will fly and I will breathe through a closed nose, and I will be able to determine that I am dreaming and gain lucidity.

Awesome, a long time ago there was a cool lucid dreaming thread and I've been curious about it ever since. PM me if you have any success and I'll give it a shot too.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Masked Pumpkin posted:

I've got a Windows 2012 server with a bunch of files (400 000+) that need to be transferred to a new server. FTP has been set up, and that whole process has been smooth, except that hidden in those folders are a number of files with a space in the front: " sms.pdf", for example.

These files don't transfer happily as Windows simply doesn't like spaces in front of file names. I've looked through the available bulk rename apps, and haven't found anything that does the trick. I could do a bash script easily enough, but I'm not willing to set up cygwin on that system if I can avoid it. I'm happy to buy an avatar or forums upgrade for anyone who can do a Powershell script (or something else) to recursively search through the 200 000+ folders and remove the leading space - or recommend an app that will do it.

I see a Powershell solution here but I also did a quick autohotkey script that works perfectly in my limited experiments.

code:
;Select parent directory to search
FileSelectFolder, The_Slected_Dir , , 3, Select Folder

;Recursively loop all files with at least one preceding space in all sub directories
	Loop, %The_Slected_Dir%\ *.*, 0, 1
	{
	;Match any file with whitespace+ in the front of its name
	RegExMatch(A_LoopFileName, "\W+(.+)", RE_FileName)
		If (RE_FileName1 != "")
		{
		;Assign a new name to one without preceding whitespace 
		NewFileName := RE_FileName1
		;Move file to the same folder it is currently in and rename it. Overwrite if necessary
		FileMove, %A_LoopFileFullPath%, %A_LoopFileDir%\%NewFileName%, 1
		}

}

ExitApp
Compiled exe: Preceding Space Replacer
WARNING: Will replace any duplicate file without a preceding space in the same folder.

Edit: oh yeah archives or an avatar would be neat.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 8, 2014

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

peak debt posted:

Get a 2x4, write "COLOR ISN'T PARSABLE" on it and beat some sense into your data entry people.

If they'd used like an x for occupied and an o for empty this poo poo would be easy.

Actually the color is readable. Interior.Color Property :smug:

Spekkio posted:

In the past I've written an VBA macro to read each cell left to right and build an array of dates and the in/out positions. But it was time consuming and isn't easily adopted to spreadsheets in another format.

This is probably how I would do it so I'm not 100% sure what is being requested.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

ElPipiripau posted:

Hi! I'm a Premiere Pro user. As you may know, sometimes you have to render what you have already edited in your timeline. This can take a few minutes and, here's the request, I would like a tiny app to watch CPU usage when it is more than, say, 80% [user specified] and if it is this way for more than %seconds%, chime a %sound% when CPU goes back down to < 10% of usage (so i can know when rendering is finished).

This could be wonderful if I can define what aplication (like Premiere or AfterEffects) are running when this app play the sound.

Thanks in advance!

Kinda took a shortcut and did average CPU instead of (Above [X] for [Y] seconds). But it only took me 45 mins or so. Could use archives or a title if you are so inclined.
Not much testing as I don't have anything to push my CPU here. I had to set the high to 6% and the low to 4% :sweatdrop:

CPU Idle Monitor
- Settings are in config.ini
- Will play .wav or .mp3 (mp3 requires codecs?)
- Right click task tray icon and choose "Quit" to exit
- 32 bit
- Can also play a sound when CPU goes above the set value. set to blank if not needed
- Source code is included in the .zip

Heres the core idea:
code:
	If (Toggle_Active = True)
	{
	CPU_Percent := CPULoad()
	Fn_InsertAverage(CPUAverage_Array, Options_TriggerHighUseSeconds, CPU_Percent)

The_Average := Fn_GetAverage(CPUAverage_Array)

If(The_Average >= Options_HighCPU && Trigger_HighCPU = False)
		{
		Trigger_HighCPU := True
		SoundPlay, %Options_HighCPUSound%, wait
		}

If(The_Average <= Options_LowCPU && Trigger_HighCPU = True)
		{
		Trigger_HighCPU := False
		SoundPlay, %A_ScriptDir%\%Options_LowCPUSound%, wait
		}
	}

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Unless I can find a library that shows the CPU usage of specific applications, it would be hard. But I can easily see what window the user has active, or has open in the background. Are you jumping between Premiere and Effects while the prerendering is taking place? If you just work on other things inside Premiere; I could easily only have it check while [Program] is active.

Glad you like it. :D

ElPipiripau posted:

Hey! Thanks so much, works like a charm! I don't know what do you mean about averaging the CPU load but it works.

Instead of checking that the CPU has been above [X] percent consecutively; we insert the CPU use into an array every one second then average it out over the user specified amount of seconds. So a set of CPU usage that looks like 100%,99%,55%,80% would average to 83%; while that would fail to consecutively be above 80%, it was easier for me to do at the time and I felt it had the advantage of still triggering if the CPU use drops for just one of the snapshots since CPUs usage seems to like to jump around wildly, though maybe this has improved with the use of more cores.

Now that I'm sitting and thinking about it; the average would be best for low_CPU checking and a consecutive might be best (and really not as hard as I imagined; just check what the lowest value in the array is) for high_CPU.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 14, 2014

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

PowerDimmer http://www.whitsoftdev.com/powerdimmer/ might work. It has to be installed as a screensaver. According to google searches; put it in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 on a 64-bit system.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

If there isn't a good solution; tomorrow I will have time to try something. But are we talking about controlling the LCD backlight? Not sure how to do that but I do know how to overlay a transparent black box over the screen.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Unfortunately I want the program to work so when my custom screensaver comes on it is dimmer, so it cannot replace my screensaver. Thank you though.
While searching for a laptop extended monitor I ran into these in Amazon comments:

Dimmer v1, v2 - http://www.nelsonpires.com/software/dimmer/
Monitor-Brightness-Reducer - http://www.tucows.com/preview/513016/Monitor-Brightness-Reducer

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Was going to write that for you but looks like you got the main idea down already.

code:
^Space::
if (Clipboard != "") { ;if cliboard data is not an image or blank
	SearchUrl := "http://jisho.org/search/" . Clipboard   ; Search text gets appended to the end of the string
	Run, %SearchUrl%
} else {
	Msgbox, your clipboard doesn't have recognised text.
}
Return
See if that works any better for you. Doesn't modify clipboard so you shouldn't have any trouble restoring.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 11, 2015

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I use a vertical taskbar but lately it fills up with things and then I have to start flipping between two pages. I'd like to get a 2nd row of icons but so far this doesn't seem possible for vanilla Windows 7.
This is the best workaround I found so far, but seems like a lot of work and is not persistent between restarts.

You can make the taskbar wider; but the icons just get wider. I want a separate column; Ideally without any text.

->
Obviously less open stuff would help.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I did a quick 1 hour version.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/41vnjxnrjp8da2y/Put-A-Sock-In-It.zip compiled and source included.

The "UnMute" is more of a "Toggle mute status and kill the timer". With another 20mins I could check the system's current sound status.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

nexxai posted:

Can anyone help me out?

Could do something like this:

Does this have to work on a phone? Never worked with CoreData before but I can save as JSON.

Of course I would want to know this is something she wants. Making a list of all transgressions is ill advised.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Had a feeling this had more to do with a health condition than anything else.

What I posted might take 1~3 hours. It would only work on windows, I mention this because I know Swift is an iOS thing. I have a small window of time today I'll try to finish it. A custom date button will be there as well, forgot that in the mock up.

If it has to work on a phone I'd have to do it as a web app and that would take significantly longer.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I better stand back for now. Too many unfinished web apps for me to take on another.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Went way far back in the thread looking for something that never got fulfilled and that I wanted.

I'd like a chrome extension/app that watches different sites every 30seconds/1min for HTTP 200 status. It doesn't have to be pretty. Must handle redirects.
Bonus points:
- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently.
- all sites fit on page without scrolling
Hyper Combo:
- User defined words can cause different status (ie; I see the word maintenance, be an orange box)
- chart status over course of the day on mouseover
Combo Breaker Hyperpoints:
- accept outside ajax requests to create/update boxes

Concept:

I did something similar but started running into blocking/wait issues when watching 20+ sites. Haven't got around to re-writing it in Javascript.
Can definitely rustle up :20bux: if that would take more than an afternoon.

Inspired by:

Hoborg posted:

Documentation:

The sites you add will be automatically saved on application close and reloaded on startup (they're saved to a folder called "Monitors" within the directory you launched the program from within).

The UI is simple: the main window lists all active site monitors. Click 'add' to create a new one and enter the details in the popup form. You can specify 3 actions too: run a program, play a sound, and send an email. If an error occurs you'll get a messagebox rather than the application crashing. The program is multithreaded and won't lock up your box whilst it does anything.

Enjoy: http://bit.ly/mivMXz

(the PDB files are for debugging purposes, if anything wrong happens; so send me a PM or reply in this thread if there are any problems).

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 24, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I did not like their desktop application at all and this seems to just be a web portal to view what the desktop application is finding. Maybe monitoring sites is new to that tool. But it would end up looking like:

https://uptimerobot.com/ is better but still not perfect for what I'm wanting. Though If I work with their API long enough I could probably get the GUI I want.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

I'm still interested in that. Did some patchwork on my existing monitor but it can still get tripped up if too much wait time is introduced, a flaw in the original design that would be difficult to replace.

Several people pointed out the problem with "- in the event of a page not loading, check more frequently." to which I agree somewhat. I'd like to check each site or service every 30seconds/1min. During troubleshooting however, one min is a long time to wait.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

deadly_pudding was originally wanting to do a chrome extension and taking suggestions. Any approach works for me.

deadly_pudding posted:

I think I might step into this thread for a little bit. I write desktop software and web apps for a living, and know my way around C#, PHP, and Javascript. I'd like to learn how to make Chrome extensions, but I don't have any decent ideas for a project. If anybody has a simple and/or dumb chrome extension that they'd like to see exist, I will see what I can do. I can also make some windows apps or web stuff for y'all, but my priority here is Chrome extensions.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Looks incredible Volguus. Thanks!

But I can't seem to add sites even after trying 3 different request sending apps, I keep getting 400 (Bad Request) or similar. Haven't tried curl yet though.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Running it with my local user seemed to work.

However I'm already not understanding how its getting error 500 on two of the main urls I watch. My understanding is they are behind a redirect.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Those do not match my urls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Google works for me. As does Example.com

I'll try it at home tonight.
edit: Local System Account didn't change the outcome at my workplace.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 17, 2017

• Locked thread