Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just to pile on, Im just a Cisco guy, but for Cisco we'd have dedicated stacking cables in the back of the switches, not using SFP or copper ports for that.

Are you calling trunk links stack ports? Or is that how HP does stacking?

Also, when I was looking into something similar last year, Cisco had yet to come out with a fiber aggregation switch in their 9000 series of switches. Not sure if thats still the case or not.

You can use HP IRF technology to connect and virtualize A5500 EI switches or A5500 SI switches into a
virtual switch called an “IRF fabric” or “IRF virtual device” for flattened network topology, and high
availability, scalability, and manageability.

You can do a LAG across two different physical switches so I would call it a 'stack'. There are 'stacking ports' but they seem to just be 10GBe interfaces on the rear, it's not a dedicated stacking cable like you mention you'd see with other vendors. The newer Aruba stuff seems to work the same way with their VRF or whatever they call it (we have two closets converted over to the Aruba 2650(?))

We've been converting some closets over to the HPE 5130's, which are newer Comwares, which we have been getting as warranty replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

I think a pair of Aruba CX 6300 24 port SFP+ switches will do for your 'core', then just use CX 6100s for your copper access.

Trying to get that combination of SFP and copper ports into new devices isn't really going to happen unless you go for a chassis or something weird like a Netgear . Also I don't think trying to stack them all together is worth doing - you won't want to do maintenance on them all at the same time, you won't want to reboot your main core just because your secondary ESXi cluster needs a firmware update. Use something like NetEdit or Aruba Central for management.

This is kind of where I was going, trying to figure out why we need it to be all one stack. We are using Aruba Central now, actually. And guess why we can't replace the fan in switch #2 that's giving us errors! Because we have to bring the whole thing down.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

20M and maybe 300M?

Assuming they're 1Gb the 20M runs could be done with CAT6 but it's kinda pointless if you've also got 300M runs.

Out of interest, what is the location of this network? Like just an office building or an off-shore rig? Asking because the only times I've had to deploy networks with that variety of ranges was on a rig (Specifically a rig that connects to another rig, shortest was 10M between floors of LQ, longest was 250M over the umbilical to the connected rig, also had microwave backup as well as a hilarious RF packet-radio tertiary backup that could do maybe 150KB/s).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Assuming they're 1Gb the 20M runs could be done with CAT6 but it's kinda pointless if you've also got 300M runs.

Out of interest, what is the location of this network? Like just an office building or an off-shore rig? Asking because the only times I've had to deploy networks with that variety of ranges was on a rig (Specifically a rig that connects to another rig, shortest was 10M between floors of LQ, longest was 250M over the umbilical to the connected rig, also had microwave backup as well as a hilarious RF packet-radio tertiary backup that could do maybe 150KB/s).

Office building

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Pile Of Garbage posted:

6500 (Are they even a thing anymore?)

From what I can tell they were replaced by the 6800 series, and those in turn were replaced by the 9600. If you want more ports than a 9600, you're looking at a Nexus model.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Office building

Given your ranges I assume your core is in the MDF on the ground or sub-basement. You'd potentially recoup cable runs by moving it to the IDF of the middle floor of those you service (Like with my previous example which was floors 8-11 so they put core on 10).

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

You can also just buy Nexus 9300 fibre and copper pairs and vPC them but that's extra management overhead vs stacking. We paid less than £8k per switch for our 93180s, and bought the 10/25/40gbit SFPs and full copper ones.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So I'm going to be starting a new job shortly that will make use of Aruba hardware (specifically their mobility controllers and possibly ClearPass), which I don't have any experience on. Any good literature out there to familiarize myself with them, or am I stuck with the company's website?

\/\/\/ EDIT: Thanks, Thanks Ants.

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just look at stuff on here, and then look at the personal websites of the people doing the presentations

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ