Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How simple of a task is setting up a failover Internet connection on an 1812?

We just had a T1 installed, we're currently using a cable modem. It's 10 MB and up 99% of the time, so we'd like to use this as the primary connection. We just have the T1 for our 'just in case' connection. (It's ipflex from AT&T so our voice routes over it as well)

Cable Modem ------> |Cisco ____ Our LAN
Cisco 2811 --------> |1812

I guess this is what it should end up looking like. I've tested the T1 data circuit with a laptop and it works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CrazyLittle posted:

It's pretty easy. You just have to pick what method fits your needs. What device in that diagram is doing your NAT? That's probably the best place to implement any failover plan as your external IP dictates the return path (unless you've got BGP peers).

The 1812 is doing our NAT.

The 2811 is all new as of last week.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

And what's the handoff for the 2811? Routed IP space or more NAT?

Routed IP space.

Looking through the documents, it appears the 1812 only supports an asynchronous interface for the backup line.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1801/software/configuration/guide/dialbkup.html

Did our consultant lie to use about the capabilities when we bought this over a year ago?

I guess my option now would be to create an interface (eth1) on the 1812, connect the T1 to that (using one of the 5 ip addresses that we have), and then manually toggle them using the SDM interface when our cable connection goes out. Or is there a way to automate this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

routenull0 posted:

You know you cannot plug a T1 into an ethernet interface correct?

I know that, I'm talking about the cable with the data side of the T1 on it, coming out of the router given to us from the telco.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have a 'new' Cisco 891 that we're going to use to replace a Linksys RV082. Any tips or warnings?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jwh posted:

They're nice little routers. Nothing really to worry about.

I can't find a machine here with a serial port, so I guess I'm using the web interface. It better not suck like SDM did.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

We have a 'new' Cisco 891 that we're going to use to replace a Linksys RV082. Any tips or warnings?

Is there a guide out there to setting up QoS rules that is pretty good?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Once I had to draw a network on a white board in front of 5 people. Draw our T1 line, draw our routers, our firewalls, our switches, our servers, T1 to another office...

They took notes like they were going to set it up the way I drew it. Then they asked basic poo poo like what's ftp and what port is http on and what DNS was.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Another good thing to do is draw up a fake network and then ask what the default routes should be for certain clients (at different sites for example)

Or have a laptop sitting there plugged into an old Cisco and just have them do something simple like login and change an ip address and setup and activate a DHCP pool. This way you can see if a guy can even configure a router without having his CCNA for dummies book or Google at his side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

-The networks they do utilize RIP-2 mostly and maybe one or two instances of EIGRP, giving limited exposure to higher level stuff.
-They do little BGP
-They want me to wear many hats, like Microsoft server stuff, which is fine in a small company... but I wanted full on Cisco exposure.
-The networks for the most part are one gateway networks.

I was going to say, when a place like that wants a 'network engineer' they aren't going to make you do anything fancy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let me try to explain this with a picture:

code:
        Site 1                          Site 2

10.254.0.1                       10.254.0.2
       [router] ---------- T1 --------- [router]
      10.10.0.254                      10.20.0.254
           |                                |
          LAN                              LAN
This is in-use setup that I came across. Wouldn't you normally not make that third network (10.254.0.0) and just route straight over the interface instead of the ip?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

"Can do" and should do are pretty different goals. Having that /30 in place gives you a lot more tools at your disposal for troubleshooting, upgrade paths, etc.

Example? and which is the /30?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, you probably don't want to be working there.

It probably wouldn't be the worst gig in the world.

On one hand, you'd probably get to set a lot of stuff up that you wouldn't at a bigger place.

Most of those places basically NEED Microsoft and Cisco certified people to keep their business partner status up. They can't use their logos etc if they don't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah ,but it sounds like the position they're interviewing for is a dead-end.

Might be. But depending on the company you could work through some more certs and have access to a lot of equipment. Plus if you can be the 'golden boy' at a mom n pop shop you can write your own check and run the show.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a site I can look up a MD5 password hash from a device? I know the simpler password system is easily decrypted.

I have the configuration file and could just reset the router and re-load it, but this would be easier and there'd be no downtime.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

fordan posted:

For practical purposes, MD5 is not reversable. I was going to write a bunch of stuff about rainbow tables to break hash functions, but really, you're just going to need to do a password recovery on it.

I know it's not reversible, I thought there was a site that had a table for it where you could look it up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Did they buy the wrong router? This one looks like it's more for a remote user/office to connect to headquarters.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78-519930.html

We're the 'main office' and we just need PPTP connectivity for one remote (Windows) user. Currently there is a Linksys router doing this (RV082), but I don't see the ability for this new router to do it in the above datasheet. Should I use another type of VPN or just drop m0n0wall in here using an old PC?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

MRTG, graphing throughput on 5-min averages from the CO perspective. It's a new customer hooked up to four DSL circuits, bonded.

Did you add a circuit each week or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's a lot of technical reading relating to cables to be found here:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

I could have sworn they had a link to tests done with their cables but I think it may have been another site that posted them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BoNNo530 posted:

Can can you move to Wisconsin or Michigan?

Where in Michigan?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

For those that know more about Cisco, are they slowly losing a lot of money? Is Juniper starting to out perform them?

I don't know much about stocks, its something I have been getting into slowly in the past year, but I saw their shares and they dropped from 26 dollars to like 17 in the past year. They also just announced they are dropping their "Flip" camera line. I didn't know they had a Flip camera line haha!

Do you guys see Juniper starting to take Cisco's steam?

Virtualization is hurting them as well. When you can run 50 servers on one machine you don't need a bunch of switches to connect them all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

Should we as network engineers be concerned about job availability in the future with virtualization and these new occurrences?

Someone has to learn virtual switches

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

Would you believe me if I said I had no idea what virtual switch technology was? Any buzz words I can google?

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

I don't understand what you mean by this post here. Is the CCIE a waste of time or by that time its pointless?

There are only something like 25,000 CCIE's in the world (I'm probably off one way or the other). You need thousands of dollars in lab equipment, thousands in books and tests, and even more in time and travel to actually take the test.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Here is another thing. If you want to be a guru, really peak in a specialization and do that to the enth level, do you realize the sort of people you're up against in IT? We are talking people that don't wash, have no friends, have never touched a girl and think about nothing, constantly than thier chosen nerdom. Playing video games and wearing mullets and stained tee-shirts into their forties, you should see some of our Unix guys. I'm just not, and never will be, one of those people. I don't want to be either, I don't want to outnerd the supernerds.

I've worked with a CCIE, he wore a mickey mouse tie daily and had some breathing thing that if someone wore too much deodorant he'd get all wheezy and have to go home.

That goes for almost any field. You should have seen some of the architects I used to work with. One day you realize you're never going to be 'that good' unless you make a ton of sacrifices. It's not like those guys are going to some router at NASA, typing in a few lines, linking up to the space shuttle, getting a $50,000 check and then going home and partying with cocaine and strippers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's a binder sitting on someone's desk here, who took a Cisco class ~10 years ago and they didn't have computers or routers in the classroom to work on, and they must not have even had a copy machine because all the notes are hand-written. Your picture reminds me of that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can you put your config file on codepad or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

Engineers rule at IT companies (or the ones I've worked at anyway) and everyone takes a backseat to the technical people, because we make the money and we do the work. Salespeople, business people and even management ask us careful quesitons about what we think should be done next and why a new technology would be good for a client, etc.

What magical company do you work at?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"The customer wants the car to make popcorn"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone noticing anything strange with XO/L3? Cogent is dropping packets according to the IHR and while checking our connections in PRTG I noticed some weird spikes/drops on our other two backend connections.

Nothing pops out on this site:

http://www.internetpulse.net/Main.aspx?Period=RH4

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

Not sure if I read it right but I was thinking that I shouldn't invest so much into Cisco if they wont be a real force in the years to come. Virtualization aside, I guess I am trying to narrow down what else I can study to be "future proof"

Networks, and Cisco will be around for quite a while. We haven't even moved to IPV6 yet!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

jwh posted:

I hold the view that you can't really be an effective network security worker unless you've come from a networking background. I see applicants all the time that want to work "IT Security" and their work history is... IT Security.

What the hell do they cover in those stupid ITT tech classes, anyway? "10 ways to secure your network" and poo poo like that?

It reminds me of the kids who would ask "How do I write a crack for _____?"

Well, you've got to know how copy protection works, you've got to know some programming (assembler), you've got to know how to use a debugger, you'll need to know how the hardware works (some copy protection uses dongles or other tricks) and most of all you've got to know what to look for.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wasn't there some super lovely tabbed Putty add-on? It was like 6MB or some poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

Honestly, I need to learn Unix whether I need it or not. It's really my weakest link in my portfolio, but I am leaving this place in a few weeks and isn't immediately relevant.

Once you start learning basic UNIX admin stuff, I would be leery to make any config changes to customer equipment. If you're there to just do the routers, have their people make changes to their servers. Last thing you want is them calling your boss telling them all about how you "hosed up their servers".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Here's a dumb question, not Cisco-related but I couldn't find a better place to ask:

Let's say my IP address is aa.bb.cc.194, my provider gives me a single IP address for $49.99 a month. Now, my default gateway (which I assume is my modem) gets the address aa.bb.cc.193. My subnet mask is 255.255.255.252 (or /30), and there's also a 'subnet id' of aa.bb.cc.192, and a broadcast address of aa.bb.cc.195. Are those two addresses basically wasted? Hell aren't they wasting 3 addresses since the modem could be bridged and I could have two IP addresses?

How come my modem isn't 192, 193 my neighbor, 194 the next guy, etc? In groups of 16 or 32 or whatever? It just seems wasteful to have 4 addresses for a single subscriber.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ragzilla posted:

They're trying to keep you in separate broadcast domains from your neighbors. It's a good thing.

I'm guessing this is some sort of small DSL shop? Or is this some other sort of leased line service (T1, Ethernet) ?

Normally I'd do a DSL static IP by handing it out through RADIUS (sometimes called a sticky IP rather than a static).

Cable modem with Charter Communications. We also have another block of 5 addresses (in the 200's)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

falz posted:

Where is this mystical land of network engineering jobs?

I would guess either the DC area or somewhere near Raleigh-Durham

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Not quite Cisco-related, but since there's no networking thread...

Is it common to see link aggregation with servers using gigabit, or do they just jump up to 10G? And what about uplinks between gig switches and possibly core routers? Was it more common in the 100meg days?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Personally I've never seen a single server with a 10G nic, though I have seen dual homed LACP. (4x 1G links in two portchannels.)

I've been dreaming about these for a while:

http://www.ixsystems.com/ix/servers/intel-based-servers/1u-servers/ix-1204-10g-rack-mount-1u-server

quote:

dual on-board Intel® 82599EB 10 Gigabit SFP+ Ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Have any of you guys ever used the USB ports on these cisco routers? What're they good for?

It'd be nice if you could use them as a serial interface since laptops don't come with serial ports anymore, and are starting to not come with ethernet ports either.