Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

InferiorWang posted:

Kudosx, I think Cisco just changed their CCNA course material, although to what extent I'm not sure. I'm sure someone here might be able to fill you in further or rebut what I said.

Can someone confirm or deny this (latter preferred :gonk: )?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

GPF posted:

The CCNA changed early last year and the books you find in the stores should be just fine and dandy. The CCNP just recently went through some fairly drastic changes, though.

The CCNA changes were pretty much this:

Drop IGRP.
Drop old switches (1900 say goodbye).
Restructure INTRO to be more useful.

I'll just be glad when they quit obsessing over ISDN.

I feel you on ISDN. :bang:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Here's my story: I took CCNA classes in 2006 but unfortunately, I got loaded down with summer work and then I went back to school so I never really got to take (and pass, God willing) my CCNA. I understand that there have been some updates to the test and, since I have a relatively free summer schedule this time around, I want to get this monkey off my back.

I still have my books I used when I took my classes. They're Cisco Press circa 2005. I imagine they might be good enough but I need to know A) What has changed with the test (added, subtracted, etc.) and B) what is another good book to get in addition? I've got a Boson simulator somewhere (it came with the Cisco Press books) so I'm covered there.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Thanks for the link. This is pretty much what I was looking for: a line-by-line list of topics to know (somehow I missed this :v: ).

Now, onto books. I figure trying to get something that was released in 2008 would be the safest bet but is it just as safe to get something written in 2007? I only ask because I'm unsure of the timeline regarding the CCNA test updates. I don't want a book that doesn't cover what I need, after all. I was thinking something along the lines of this or is there some real substantive reason to avoid Cisco-sanctioned stuff like this? I'll admit; part of it is that I'm used to my old books still.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

jwh posted:

I never really 'got' it until I spent the better part of an afternoon with a whiteboard and some dry erase markers, drawing the thirty-two individual bits of an address and a mask.

This is essentially how I mastered subnetting. Once you draw it all out, you can visualize it better and get faster. That, and I had this helpful little aid:

code:
                         192 224 240 248 252 254 255
Bit value            128  64  32  16  8   4   2   1
Bits remaining (Y)    7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0
Bits borrowed (X)     1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

Subnets = 2^X (subtract 2 for "usable" subnets)
Hosts per subnet = 2^Y (subtract 2 for "usable" hosts)
Just remember which octet you are in (in case you're starting with a /8 or /16) and you should be fine.