Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

psydude posted:

The most secure switch is one which isn't plugged-in

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with a catalyst 2960-CX? I am at a work site and we are having a double NAT problem. Everything works but the printer takes about 1-5 minutes of spooling before paper comes out.

I have one at home but if you're having printing issues then it's more than likely a Layer 4/7 issue.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

If the file is 1,77mb It will first load 225 kbs, print one page, stop and then continue to 660 kbs, printe page two, stop and so forth. Any idea what I can do to speed the process up? This might be the wrong thread, sorry.

That's definitely a Layer 7 issue/feature, depends entirely on the protocol you're using. It's obviously spooling one page at a time or something. This isn't the right thread but I'm not sure which one to recommend. Update drivers on the client and pray?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Partycat posted:

The switching had been solid in the past, and the ERS 5500 stuff was great. Not sure they have really advanced much from there, though.

I've been using an ERS 5530 (Second hand from auction) in my home network for ages until I replaced it with a Catalyst 2960CX. Solid switch but holy gently caress initial setup can be excruciating if you don't have the right serial cable and JDM is very bad. Still not a bad switch, here it is in my bin shed where it still remains to this day last I checked:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/834374286475354117

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

One of our PMs actually has the extension 5666. He's the bane of my existence so it's appropriate.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Anyone here managed to get ASAv running on ESXi 6.5 in a Workstation VM? A colleague of mine is having issues, "Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed." error.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

psydude posted:

Pretty much all Cisco products aren't officially supported on 6.5 yet, and I've heard of all sorts of issues with it more generally.

Cool thanks mate. Good to know.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

falz posted:

PS I hate these things and I'm glad they're dead, but I probably need to keep these small handful for another year or so.

I really liked Brocade FC switches and MPRs, nice GUI and CLI, never had any significant issues outside of one or two dodgy SFPs.

Never used their IP stuff though so yeah.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Actually reading that kind of makes sense with my experience which was via Brocade gear re-branded for IBM. They (Brocade) published some extremely specific and relevant errata regarding their products only via IBM's website. For example, port fillword settings for 8Gb FC compatibility with IBM SVC kit (Including Storwize V7000). Also the feature licensing for Brocade MPRs was obscene. At one point I caught out our VAR for loving up SFP and port licenses but copping that cost still didn't bite into their (IBMs) margin.

Still, I really miss working with FC :(

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

1. Cisco Small Business switches are poo poo

Second.

Super Slash posted:

Ok this might be a dumb dumb question but here goes;

We've got a few Cisco SG200 switches which have a mystery issue of the CPU getting maxed out then staying that way, after doing a bunch of different tests we can't narrow anything down to what's causing it particularly as two of us share one of these affected switches so where should barely be any traffic going through it, the only thing I can see is possibly over the weekend this happens. Now they aren't fantastic as there is minimal remote management as once the CPU gets maxed out the only fix is a hard reboot, plus I've not long been here so saying "Buy better switches" doesn't have much clout.

I've left a remote log server running which hasn't collected anything of worth and surprisingly there is no network monitoring in place so that would be my next stop, beyond that the firmware is all up to date.

Are they under support? If yes then open a case with Cisco so you can have them tell you that yes, your switches are poo poo. Makes it much easier to convince managers when vendors say so. Or who knows they may fix your poo poo and everything will be fine forever!

Alternatively start cozying up to your local Cisco VAR and get them to loan you some proper Catalysts for demonstration purposes.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This is probably more a security question but it's still tangentially Cisco related: anyone here using Cisco Umbrella for DNS resolution? Is it actually any good beyond what it claims to do and can its efficacy be backed up in reporting?

Edit: that's good to know cheers vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 20, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm on an ipv4 environment so the ipv6 limitation doesn't bother me. Just signed up a few months ago, and yeah it's pretty effective. The filtering is very up to date on malware identification and hardly anything gets through.

Thanks for the feedback. Our customer's infosec lead acquired a trial subscription for Umbrella so I'll probably be reconfiguring our forwarders next week to try it out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

When we replaced our core switch last year (480 ports) we got all ethernet slim cables. loving slick let me tell you.

I did some offshore fit-outs earlier this year and we used the Panduit Cat6 slim-cables which in the cramped areas were a godsend. However you have to be careful not to get them pinched because they're easy to damage.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

What happens on an err-disable? Is the port still "powered on" or negotiable at all?

I'm trying to figure out why my Linux machine does not detect anything at all and has no link state change notifications when I have a port err-disabled, but the cable is plugged in still.

err-disable can be caused by a number of things but usually to restore it you'll have to shut/no shut the port. Whilst the port is err-disable you'll get no Layer 1 and up.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post, not a question but ya'll will find it relevant:

I've just checked our main edge ASA 5555-X's and they're running fuckin 9.5 :rip:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jamsta posted:

A dimwit (me) who really should know better entered this into a 2960S's remote console session while in conf t:

The site's primary router was connected to port 2

code:
interface range gigabitethernet 1/0/1-10
no switchport port-security mac-address sticky
shut
no shut
Customer called us up immediately. Luckily we had a field engineer nearby who cycled the switch.

I am a Cisco nubcake.

I've probably told this story before but in my last job I worked with FortiGate firewalls a lot, much more than I did with Cisco gear. With the FortiOS CLI if you type "show" or "sh" in configuration context it will output the current config for whatever node you're editing. Anyway one day we were having issues with internet at the office so I SSH'd to the 2911, enter "conf t", "int gi0/0" and then suddenly muscle memory kicks in and I instinctively enter "sh" to try and show the current interface config. Down goes the inside interface and everyone's internet drops out along with my SSH session. I brought it back up in ~5 minutes via console but it was still embarrassing as hell.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 30, 2018

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's funniest when you accidentally paste passwords into IRC.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Settle down and welcome to last page mate.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Second. That sounds like some crazy optical carrier poo poo FatCow and I would like to know more.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mythicknight posted:

I have an access switch stack that has a single link to two different core switches. My problem is it seems to be pushing all traffic up one link right now, and its saturated. Anything I can do to tell it to use both? Port channel wouldnt work I think since each link is going to a different device upstream. Not sure why we didn't run multiple links for each connection but here we are :pseudo:

A lot of the config is over my head, but the interfaces seem to be configured identically. Trunks, vlans, etc.

:rip:

Maybe escalate to a network person.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

... Unless you enjoy working on Saturday.

And get paid overtime...

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

:rip:

Maybe escalate to a network person.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

No, Brocade is bad and you are correct for being mad at how awful they are to work with :black101:

Edit: Brocade did eventually kill off the trunk term and start using “lag”. But now their IP has been sold yet again and is basically dead so who cares.

And I still hate the way they do VLAN tagging vs Cisco/Arista. But I’m willing to chalk that up to personal preference.

Brocade FC switches and MPRs were (Are?) pretty good IMO. :)

The worst network gear I've ever worked with is Nortel ERS. It's just so incredibly obtuse and backwards compared to Cisco or anything else really.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Did Cisco ever release a model with >3 zeros in the name? I immediately thought of CSS but that was only 11500 (I assume the 5 was a courtesy move because ugh).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Sounds like a VAR sales engineer somewhere is going to get a big xmas bonus :lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fortinet devices have a REST API apparently however you need to pay for a subscription to their developer program to get the doco :lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

doomisland posted:

All the fancy SDN poo poo too uses the same networking concepts as well. There are several blogs and posts I've reading where people are amazed by things such as IPTables and dynamic routing.

NVGRE is the work of satan.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Can anyone point me in the direction of where the XML schema or whatever that Cisco uses for Netconf is documented? I just want something that shows how each part of the config is represented.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tortilla_chip posted:

show run | xml is your best bet

That output modifier doesn't appear to be available on the CSR 1000v I've been testing with (Running IOS XE 16.09).

Yeah I'd seen that repo before but it just confused me till I realised they're model definitions. I ended up using pyang to parse the definitions which worked well (Example).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I've been working with a team recently who have been doing a similar thing for state government departments at sites all over the state. They said IP telephony was the biggest pain in the rear end and would tie up techs for entire days doing just one site. My involvement is network automation with Ansible to do LAN cutover but this telephony stuff seems like just a literal slog.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Still, probably easier than having to support 2950 switches in TYOOL 2019 :cripes:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Been experiencing a weird issue since I upgraded my Catalyst 2960CX to v15.2(7)E, hoping maybe someone has seen it before: object-group's in extended ACLs don't match when said ACL is used in line vty access-class.

Here's what was configured and working prior to upgrading:

code:
object-group network TRUSTED-MGMT-HOSTS
 description *** Trusted Management Hosts ***
 host 10.6.66.2
!
ip access-list extended ACL-VTY-IN
 permit tcp object-group TRUSTED-MGMT-HOSTS any eq 22
 deny   ip any any
!
line vty 0 4
 access-class ACL-VTY-IN in
 login local
 transport input ssh
 transport output none
Since upgrading it's stopped hitting the permit and I cannot SSH to the device. When I enable log on the deny I can see that the traffic should be matching:

code:
Nov 30 11:48:28.749: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list ACL-VTY-IN denied tcp 10.6.66.2(64466) -> 0.0.0.0(22), 1 packet
Nov 30 11:52:09.860: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by admin on console
Nov 30 11:52:43.018: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list ACL-VTY-IN denied tcp 10.6.66.2(64466) -> 0.0.0.0(22), 4 packets
Nov 30 11:53:30.266: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by admin on console
Nov 30 11:53:51.046: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list ACL-VTY-IN denied tcp 10.6.66.2(64582) -> 0.0.0.0(22), 1 packet
Nov 30 11:58:52.297: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list ACL-VTY-IN denied tcp 10.6.66.2(64582) -> 0.0.0.0(22), 4 packets
If I replace the object-group in the ACL with a host it works fine:

code:
ip access-list extended ACL-VTY-IN
 permit tcp host 10.6.66.2 any eq 22
 deny   ip any any
So yeah, kinda weird. I did some Googling but nothing relevant came up. This device is just in my home network so it's as far from critical as you can really get and I'm not super fussed.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MF_James posted:

I had a similar issue recently, remove the ACL from the config then re-add it, if that doesn't work remove the line vty as well and re-add; that fixed the issue I was having and it was a very similar lead up that you had, I did an upgrade to possibly the same version or the one before.

Cheers thanks mate I'll give that a go.

Edit: no dice. Removed the line, ACL and object-group then recreated but the same issue occurred.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 30, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

This is a dumb question but I am willing to expose my ignorance to the people of SA.

What do people who run ASAs do for URL filtering?

We run ASAs at all of our sites, or a few firepower 2110s in ASA mode. More and more we need to make rules to allow stuff for Azure, AWS, etc which uses URLs instead of static IPs. From my limited poking around I've seen some people mention using RegEx expressions within the ASA and that may be what I end up having to do. We fully plan on switching from Cisco firewalls to Palo Altos come our next refresh, and those appear to allow URL based rules right out of the box. So I really only need to come up with something that will make it the next 2 years.

Do all of your sites breakout internet locally or is everything routed back to a central network via VPN/MPLS? Also what kind of traffic are you having to whitelist and why (e.g. are you just implicitly denying all and allowing as required)?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Long shot but anyone have any experience with adtran ONTs? Trying to figure out wtf mine keeps shutting off the ethernet port after handshaking with the gateway. Waiting for my ISP to get back to me in the mean time.

Just a guess, some of the ones I've seen can't negotiate speed/duplex so you need to set it to 100/Full instead of auto on your side.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Not sure what the actual issue was but they ended up reprovisioning my account and that fixed it. :shrug:

Typical telco voodoo :lol:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"Have you tried unplugging it and never plugging it in again?"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Two problems:

Number 1: I have the problem of some old HP A5120's acting like hubs, not switches. They are respecting VLAN segregation but they are spewing out every packet for that VLAN on said ports. Config is here, but it feels like there's some kind of deeper issue. Rebooted the switches and updated to the latest firmware. Not all the switches we have do it, maybe only like 2-3? These are in the budget to be replaced but it might not happen until the end of they ear.

Why is DHCP configured on this switch at all?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Might only make sense to those using FortiGates on the reg, also only if you use profile groups (Which you should be they're dope):

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1248155278958153729

tl;dr: device will stop you from creating an invalid config state but won't stop you from editing existing config into an invalid state (Mixing Comfort Clients protocol options with the Content Disarm & Reconstruction AV feature). I'm certain that invalid config has been causing a bunch of issues in my home network with weird dropped replayed packets and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

Whole company is going to move to cloud but then pipe all cloud traffic through a single 100Mbps AWS Direct Connect to some onprem branch office's VDSL line to run a web filter to block any form of adult content.

You'll need to know Layer 3 and BGP plus maybe ECMP for the Direct Connect. Also I'd question piping back to on-prem, I'm currently doing a design for an architecture that uses Transit Gateway and Direct Connect to pipe traffic on-prem as well as a spoke VPC with HA FortiGate VMs to do inspection for web traffic (Egress from ~20 TGW attached VPCs).