Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I'm having a bizzaire issue as of late with my 3845 routers. For some reason, the Gig0/0 interfaces will only show as up up unless I admin shut them. It doesn't matter if there's no cable plugged in, or if the wrong cable is plugged in. It will always show as up/up. The version is up to date on all of them.

I've noticed it for about a week now on 4 routers, but it hasn't been an issue up til now because I'm trying to plug something into g0/0. The link lights won't come on for either side of the connection when I plug it into the port that they want me to plug into on their switch. If I plug it into one of the other ports, I get link lights on both sides. But either way, in the router I see up/up. I've tried stright thru and crossover as well. It's from the 3845 to a Juniper switch/firewall thingy that I have no login access to.

code:
BUTTES#sho int g0/0
GigabitEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up 
  Hardware is BCM1125 Internal MAC, address is not.shown.here (bia not.shown.here)
  Description: ***CONNECTION TO ALL YOUR WORLDLY DESIRES***
  Internet address is 4.20.6.9/24
  MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec, 
     reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
  Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
  Keepalive not set
  Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, media type is RJ45
  output flow-control is XON, input flow-control is XON
  ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
  Last input 00:23:35, output 00:00:00, output hang never
  Last clearing of "show interface" counters 11:45:26
  Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 18043
  Queueing strategy: fifo
  Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
  5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
  5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
     0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
     Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
     0 watchdog, 0 multicast, 0 pause input
     0 input packets with dribble condition detected
     1387 packets output, 110787 bytes, 0 underruns
     0 output errors, 0 collisions, 2 interface resets
     0 unknown protocol drops
     0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
     0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
     0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out
You can see that it's putting out packets, somehow. It's been 1 packet out every 2 seconds, roughly.
code:
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 description ***CONNECTION TO ALL YOUR WORLDLY DESIRES***
 ip address 4.20.6.9 255.255.255.0
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip route-cache flow
 no ip mroute-cache
 duplex full
 speed auto
 media-type rj45
 no keepalive
I've been Googling all morning, but I'm terrible at it, apparently :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ior posted:

Try:

int gig0/0
keepalive 10

That works. I'm still failing to understand how that would cause the interface to think it's up when absolutely nothing is plugged in to it besides a bit bucket.

I did figure out why I wasn't getting a connection up to the Juniper tho, apparently it wanted to duplex set to auto instead of full on my interface. Worked fine with duplex full off the old router that was the exact same type of device and configuration.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

If you have devices that require POE, then you should buy something with POE. I couldn't give you exact prices :effort: but if you bought something with 12 or 16 ports of POE plus a normal 48 port switch, it'd be more expensive. And if you get 48 ports of POE, then you have plenty of spare slots in case an interface goes bad or something. It's always better to have more than you need vice less.

As for what uses POE, all I really know about is phones, which we use so drat many of that all our switches are POE whether it's used or not. (then again, that's military spending for you :doh: )

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Usually we use Kiwi Syslog Daemon. It does everything you'd ever really need a syslog to do. Also, it's free unless you pay for a licensed version.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

If you want it to deny all else, just make it explicit deny at the bottom. I've found this method to be less hit or miss than just hoping on the implicit deny.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Oh, wait a minute.

change "ip access-group server_in in"

to "ip access-group server_in out"

The in/out references which way the traffic is flowing, "in" means anything coming FROM vlan 10 will be applied to the ACL, "out" means anything going TO vlan 10 will hit the ACL.

Sorry, I should have noticed that in the first place.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 20, 2010

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I've been doing network engineering for nearly 18 years now. Got called by another team troubleshooting an old 5510 that would not communicate upstream at all. In the process of going through, fixed about 30 different misconfigs between the 2 devices. Still no good communication. It would talk upstream, but the interface showed 0 input at all. Upstream could see it's MAC, and populated the ARP table, and everything looked solid from that side.

Then I shut the interface to see what would happen. Upstream device still said up/up, not terribly odd, seen that before on badly communicating interfaces.

ASA's interface, that I had shut, was in Admin Down, Protocol UP status.

I have never seen a down/up status in 18 years. I have been told for forever that this was just not possible. I told them their firewall was either cursed, senile, or just broken interface and to get a new one. But I'm not sure how to dispose of this one, does it require a wooden stake, or just to be burned at a stake?

Also, am I alone in seeing this mythical interface status?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Anyone familiar with some kind of spreadsheet/table program that lets multiple people open and edit at the same time? Think like Google Docs, except not hosted on the internet.

Need a better app to carry our IP spreadsheet. Since the sheet has to be fairly particular and full of colors. 4 network engineers and we keep stepping on each others toes/leaving document open and locked/being lazy about updating immediately (naturally).

I'm sure this has come up somewhere in the past 293 pages, but :effort:

vvv-We have 7 networks all sitting on the same private network range logically seperate and the same IP ranges don't always map to the same location. Also, we identify the networks by colors. That's an incredibly important aspect of it and needs to be seriously in your face so you know which data network you're dealing with.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 21, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Nebulis01 posted:

Any version of Excel since 2003/7 will let you do this, it's called a Shared Workbook, you can also do it in Sharepoint if you'd like to host it locally.

Yeah, found that about 10 minutes after posting. Thanks

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

quote:

Hopefully this will save someone some headache (or maybe our sales rep & SE just didn't know), but Cisco 3925/3925E routers won't do more than 85mbps IPSEC VPN out of the box, even though they're marketed/sold as such. You have to buy an additional license (HSECK9) for this. siighhhh

Do these normally ship with these licenses? Dropping a few grand per license just so the box will do what it was sold to do is rather, well, common I guess.

Normally, no. You have to specify that license. Gets more fun with the ASRs/ISRs we run with IPSEC and GetVPN, I think there's about a half dozen additional licenses tied to each one (with each needing its own support charge :argh:)

Frag Viper posted:

I'm pulling my hair out over here with this.

I have a Catalyst 2960. I'm currently trying to copy over an IOS image via TFTP using Solarwinds as the TFTP server. I can ping the server, I can ping the switch.

I'll run the copy tftp: flash: command, enter the tftp server IP, and the IOS .bin file name which is c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6

When I hit enter to begin the copy process, it tells me it cant find the path or file. The IOS image file is in the TFTP root folder where it should be so I have no clue why its giving that error.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Apparently I needed to add .bin at the end of c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6. Doing that worked immediately. Its the little things that always get you.

That gets me about half the time when I can't transfer. The other half is when people point the tftp source at the wrong interface.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

madsushi posted:

I have an ASA 5585-X w/ SSP-40 firewall. It is at 100% CPU. I have already opened a case with TAC, but thought I would ask here:

What is a reasonable PPS for this firewall? The Cisco page says 5 million PPS (64 byte), but I obviously don't trust the vendor's spec numbers. I assume that things like NAT and packet sizes over 64 bytes negatively impact the PPS performance.

I am currently pushing about 3.5 million PPS through the firewall (1.75 million in each direction, ~150-byte packets on average), and it's pegged at 100% CPU and dropping lots of packets. I have another firewall (same specs) at 50% CPU when processing about 1.5 million PPS. Both are using NAT.

Is ~3 million PPS the limit before I start hitting 100% CPU and dropping packets? That's only 60% of what they're spec'd for (unfortunately I wasn't here when they were spec'd) and very bad. Is there any chance a software update [running 9.1(5) currently] or a configuration change (unfortunately NAT is required) would help? The other option, moving to an SSP-60, would be six figures per firewall, which would really, really suck.

e: also threat detection is completely off

What's "sho proc cpu-u" say is maxing?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I need to add a 3750 to a stack running

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE1.bin

Cisco's site only has

c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin

These will still be incompatible, right?

Are they both the same model? It should work if they are. If they're different, they both need to be on SE2

vvv-I'm going off the assumption that the obvious solution isn't desired

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 3, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

falz posted:

Set VTP to transparent mode and never look back. Yes it will require more work adding vlans to all devices but you will avoid horrendous outages due to silly operator error.

Or just disable VTP entirely. Or better, do both.

Your future fat finger self will thank you.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

According to snmp logging, we're randomly overclocking the hell out of our 5520s

Message: ASA 5520 Adaptive Security Appliance has exceeded threshold: (90%) currently (4294964%)

Anyone seen this before? They always start out 42949, just the last two digits change.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I'm a little lost on the Fortihate, I've never had any problem with any of them ever. They've been one of my favorites :(

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Having a fun time with ICMP and VPN tunnels over here. Have a setup that looks something like this physically.

Remote site net->ISR Router->ISR Router Loopback connection from gig to gig)->MPLS network->ASR Router->Core net

And logically.

Remote site net->MGMT VRF internal->MGMT VRF external (via loopback cable)->MPLS->MGMT VRF External->MGMT VRF Internal (vasi link)->Core net
-VPN between internal VRFs

Right now we have a site in Solarwinds that is showing as "down" because ICMP is being blocked on the ASR at the internal VRF vasi. SNMP traffic is just peachy and we are gathering that fine. Loggs say it's the ACL on the vasilink shutting it down because it's not encrypted traffic or traffic we allow through unencrypted. I'm assuming I have to tell the VPN to take ICMP traffic and encrypt it before sending it, but I can't find where that is or would be specified?

It also doesn't help that the routers are VRF'd into 20 logical VRFs for 10 logically separated networks and the configs are massive because of it.

Edit: It's the return ICMPs which are being blocked, they are going out and all the way to the return site, but get stopped on the way back.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 27, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Having a fun time with ICMP and VPN tunnels over here. Have a setup that looks something like this physically.

Remote site net->ISR Router->ISR Router Loopback connection from gig to gig)->MPLS network->ASR Router->Core net

And logically.

Remote site net->MGMT VRF internal->MGMT VRF external (via loopback cable)->MPLS->MGMT VRF External->MGMT VRF Internal (vasi link)->Core net
-VPN between internal VRFs

Right now we have a site in Solarwinds that is showing as "down" because ICMP is being blocked on the ASR at the internal VRF vasi. SNMP traffic is just peachy and we are gathering that fine. Loggs say it's the ACL on the vasilink shutting it down because it's not encrypted traffic or traffic we allow through unencrypted. I'm assuming I have to tell the VPN to take ICMP traffic and encrypt it before sending it, but I can't find where that is or would be specified?

It also doesn't help that the routers are VRF'd into 20 logical VRFs for 10 logically separated networks and the configs are massive because of it.

Edit: It's the return ICMPs which are being blocked, they are going out and all the way to the return site, but get stopped on the way back.

GAH, realizing what I said in my edit, I went to the remote end router and found a DENY icmp packet line in the VPN exclusion ACL. Removed it, all is well.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Having some fun with a VPN inside a VPN client request. My network has an mGRE tunnel between ASRs/ISRs, tunnels formed between loopback interfaces on the routers on a different VRF than is used for the connection between router nodes on the internal VPN. The client is using Cisco AC to establish a VPN from a demo device down to his lab. We can see the traffic as it hits the front door, goes through the core stack, and arrives at the ASR to be tossed into the VPN, everything looks fine.

1.2.3.4(4369) -> 10.10.10.10(500)

Then the next time we can capture it, is when it's egressing the ISR at the lab location. Where it outputs with

1.2.3.4(0) -> 10.10.10.10(0)

First I thought it was one of the various things you can accidentally do so ACL logging just ignores some information. But then looking at my ASA at the location, which is on the other side of that interface, I saw nothing hit any trap I setup. Like the traffic was just vanishing after it left. Digging deeper and looking at a full packet capture, Layer 4 is being completely stripped out and is nothing but binary 0 straight across the header. I've done VPNs in VPNs numerous times before, but not across the VPN configuration we have on our network (The particular design of it is the first of it's kind in a production environment designed by a triple CCIE). Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I could understand that from an application or just from the router. I binary packet captured it with nothing but 0s where the header should be.

The ASA is giving it a WTF is this response and dropping it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Anyone found anything about whether the Shellshock exploit is vulnerable on Cisco gear?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

They really can't fly with that answer. Every other vender we have in our environment has already identified which devices are vulnerable, which vectors are potentially open, and tossed patches over. Granted, most venders likely already knew about this and were being gagged by 3 letter agencies. But even then, Cisco almost certainly should have known about it. They at least have the resources to ID things quicker than this.

I'm already having to run a total outage, a mostly outage, and 30+ individual site outages tonight, I would have liked to not have to (potentially) do poo poo on the weekend for once.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

All Checkpoint firewalls as well are vulnerable. Though if you restrict your source IPs for management, you're okay. They have a patch out as well already.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Does anyone have a recommendation for any device (preferably a full firewall) that has full RSA integration? That can pop up a splash page with login and things for next pin, reset pin, create pin, etc.?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Are you looking to use RSA for management of the firewall or authenticate VPN connections?

Auth for inbound connections to private public facing IPs for Web, FTP, SSH, etc. that doesn't go via our VPN. Firewall functionality is more a perk as we need a new pair of Non Checkpoint firewalls to replace the CPs in that zone.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ior posted:

Out of curiosity - why replace Check point?

That's a much nicer way of asking that than I did. It probably would have gotten about the same amount of non answer that I got though.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

For instances like that, you would install the RSA agents on the systems, not the firewall. The firewall would just handle the standard src/dst filtering, the actual authentication is going to be handled by the system itself.

We must proxy it through a "Pane of glass"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Auth at the device and then something with it, the RSA internal service, and Ping Federate are all working together or something to pass the authed user into the destination. I'm not actually the one running the whole idea, just got asked if I could find out about such a firewall device. Right now these pages are authing inside and are privatized by white listing IPs, which isn't really ideal.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Funny, that's exactly who they were calling this morning. I'm trying to just stay out of the way of this now so I don't end up in the blast zone when this idea blows up.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Yeah, I could be misunderstanding him as well, but to me it sounds like he wants to perform authentication at the firewall, and if successful, be forwarded on to the actual system hosting the destination service. Are the services behind setup without any authentication mechanism of their own? I could see that with HTTP/HTTPS but not SSH/FTP like he mentions, since you have to provide UN/PW/keys for authentication on the system hosting the actual destination service as well.
So I'll keep it to the things that are actually what the immediate desire is about. Right now, the design looks like this, basically.

Inet -> Firewall -> Proxy -> Web Portal

At present the firewall is just white listing IPs who are permitted to get to the proxy. The proxy does absolutely nothing besides relay the webpage. The user sends their creds (u/p for now), and then gets whatever access on that login.

The desired end state is to have RSA integration at a higher point so we can remove the whitelist. With what's in place/designed so far for that it's basically the same pathway as above, with the proxy being a Fortiweb. The Fortiweb can do RSA authing, but it's authing is limited to sending the auth request to the RSA server, getting the yea verily, and then passing them to the portal, where they have to login again because Fortiweb isn't tagging username along with request.

This is all for our userbase who do not use the VPN to log in because they want to be a pain in the rear end can't install things.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

You'll need a USB-->Serial adapter to plug into the console cable that they give you

On the topic of these, has anyone else run into an issue with these where they'll work for a bit, then just completely stop? My old laptop, it would work for 5-10 minutes, then console would stop working, if you reseated the USB portion, it would remove it from devices and not even acknowledge it was connected until a reboot. On my new one, I'm lucky if I get 30 seconds of console before it happens.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FatCow posted:

Giving Huawei money is literally supporting the theft of American IP.

Also there is a very high likelihood that you'd be installing a backdoor into your network.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Anyone seen any oddities between Cisco 2960 and Check Point, particularly a Power One? We can only get it up in half duplex 10Mb. No combination of force setting and/or auto detect is working and just shuts down the interface in any other configuration.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ior posted:

Not really. Do keep in mind the Power-1 is a X86 server running Linux with Intel NICs. Login to expert mode and use ethtool to make sure the NICs are setup properly.

Found the issue. The cross connect between the two goes from copper to fiber to copper. The converters were inexplicably set to 10meg by Equinox :bang:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

ior posted:

It's always the firewalls fault! :)

From experience I usually assume it's a Cisco problem.

(Especially ASA)

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 31, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

along the way posted:

What is the best solution for a scenario where you need to establish a B2B tunnel with an outside vendor who needs a non-RFC 1918 from your end so that there isn't a conflict on their firewall with the private addresses of other companies they connect to?

So far, I'm thinking I need to NAT my internal LAN to one of the public IP's from the public IP pool provided by our ISP which will be given to the vendor as the protected network from our side.

My concern though is that we only really want outbound telnet traffic to go to the vendor while all other (mostly web) traffic goes to the Internet from the same outbound interface on the ASA. Can this be defined in the ACL's?

Also, I know it's possible to configure a second IP on the outbound ASA interface, but is it also possible to only have the VPN tunnel configured for the extra IP on the same outbound interface? Say, the interface has an IP with .222 and the extra IP is .220 to which I want all the telnet traffic NAT'd. Which would I provide to the vendor as our peer IP?

Nat your internal to the new public IP, as you say, using an ACL and just set the crypto map for their internal or NATted addresses. It will only go to the tunnel if it matches the Crypto Map ACL, otherwise it just goes to internet. You should be able to use the same ACL for both the NAT filter and the Crypto Map.

AFAIK, you can only apply the tunnel endpoint to an interface, so you'd have to make a different logical interface to tie it to, which it won't let you do unless you do some subnetting and break your public range into pieces. But you can NAT the traffic to the 2nd IP and not apply it to the interface and it should work providing your ISP is pointing the entire range down to your gateway.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I shouldn't have any problems with getting an IPSec VPN working site to site between two different vendors, right? (Adtran and Fortinet)

I hosed around with settings for a little bit today but I opened a support ticket and I'll just let them help me figure it out, that's what we're paying them for right?

In theory, no. But VPN is always a bastard that takes a bit of smacking around when you pair devices you've not done before.

the real blah posted:

This seems like the best thread for a network documentation question.

Visio isn't too bad once you've put a few hundred hours into it. With multivendor, you're not likely to get a decent layout from any auto mapping device (especially with hosed configs/vlan), and depending on how anal you or your boss is on layout, it might be more tedious to edit what some tool spits out. You SHOULD be able to pull down configs at least from most with any non vendor specific config management software. You are running some sort of central login, I hope, worst case same local account? Nab a trial if you need to of a high end config manager, just make sure it allows enough devices.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 15, 2015

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

FatCow posted:

Just applied for a /40 of IPv6 space from ARIN. Time to enter a completely new world of bugs.

And exploits :mrwhite:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Does longest-match prefix processing work in the following situation?

The network 10.0.128.0/17 exists behind a router-firewall. This network is subnetted further into about 10 subnets, each of which is on a separate VLAN. There is an egress to the intertubes, and another egress to the rest of the company network on 10.0.0.0/8.

The latter egress is on the subnet 10.0.199.0/24 (interface is .1). The upstream router routes 10.0.128.0/17 to 10.0.199.1. In other words, the upstream router is trying to route traffic to a router that is inside the range of the network it doesn't know how to route to (to my eyes, anyway). The network manager says no this is fine, LPM takes care of it.

I thought that this was weird. I get when you use LPM to choose between two next hops for two overlapping network ranges, but is it also possible here, to route a network's traffic to a host inside that network?

The reason I ask is that we're having routing issues and both the network team and the firewall team are waving towards each other. I'd like to figure out what's going on so we can get the issue resolved.

Possibly confused trying to follow that, but if the upstream router does not have a direct connection, or a route entry in it's table for 10.0.199.0/24 network, it's not going to work. You can route a supernet to an address inside the supernet, but it needs to know how to get to that address first, otherwise it will just use whatever default route it has configured.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Looking for some upgrade recommendations. We're looking to replace our 1 gig ASA 5525X with something 10gig, and preferably not the 50+K that Cisco wants for their 10 gig version. We're just doing basic ACL filtering on these ones, so usability is more important than features outside of at least 8 gig capable throughput. We've used Juniper as our 10G switch in places, but none of us have tinkered with a Juni firewall to know how usable it is. Only one of us actually is good at the CLI on the Juni switches, the rest of us are only capable enough to fumble around and get whatever working in 3x as much time otherwise.

Right now we're looking at: Juniper, Cisco, and Checkpoint

We're also looking to replace our Pulse VPN device, and really coming up blank with options. Cisco is out due to conflicts of running two Anyconnects at the same time. Juniper is out since they split Pulse off and any issues would require hitting two teams then. And Checkpoint is out because we need multiple realms and two realms need to have multiple VPN Pools. The only thing we have right now to look at is F5, and in theory Juniper. All the needs we have in a VPN concentrator make this one hard.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

psydude posted:

I thought Juniper was discharging its firewall branch?

Are you sure you don't have that confused with them and Pulse (SSL VPN) splitting? Because seriously, WTF if they are breaking even more poo poo off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

psydude posted:

Hah dude, I routinely see mission critical firewalls running pre-8.4 code. Usually because the owners brought me in to update them to 9.X and migrate their configs in TYOOL 2015.

I recently helped a large financial organization everyone is familiar with the name of to migrate off their PIX firewalls at HQ.