Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm looking for a Cisco router for internal testing, one functional requirement is for PGM Router Assist, however only the 12.0(5)T notes list supported platforms, and most of those are now eol:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t5/feature/guide/pgmscale.html

quote:

•Cisco 1600 series
•Cisco 2500 series
•Cisco 2600 series
•Cisco 3600 series
•Cisco 3800 series
•Cisco 4000 series (Cisco 4000, 4000-M, 4500, 4500-M, 4700, 4700-M)
•Cisco 7200 series
•Cisco 7500 series
•Cisco 12000 series

What is the cheapest model I could get today that supports PGM Router Assist, performance not an issue? I have quote at HK$74,100 for the 3825. Network diagram would be something like this:
code:
   .                Cisco
  WiFi AP        Router
     |            ||
  pfSense         ||
  firewall -- HP ProCurve 2848 == Alteon Blade switch
     |                              |
     |                              |
 MGMT VLAN -------------------------+
Cisco in HK have no clue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pussy Noise posted:

Have you looked at the Cisco feature navigator at http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp?

Its a bit confusing, the platform is the model number, but is there any way just to search for unique model numbers? It lists 108,221 results for PGM, and bizarrely 123,926 for DLR enhancements (additional to PGM) :eek:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2008

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So to test a basic cascade like this, I could use two 1841's?

I found a manufacturer refurb at $799.56 ($880 new) on compuvest, compared with $1,230 for 2801, and $1,423.32 for a 2811.

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=564912
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=141936
http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=483093

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Multicast & Bonjour routing, I have a HP ProCurve 2848 which I think mistakenly I thought could allow multicast between VLANs. It does have multicast support but only with an external multicast router, can anyone suggest the easiest method to upgrade so that I can do this? Is a Cisco router the only way forward? How much is it going to cost getting to get one full source port, i.e. 1 gb/s multicast routing?

Basic routing would be nice for DAAP, mDNS, multicast-NTP, but I'm really after getting PGM working cross VLAN.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

When using GNS3, why do I need to create bridged tap devices like this?

http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147181

I'm creating a simple network to test multicast and PGM routing,

Two 2600's with advanced IP services, EIGRP routing and sparse mode PIM. Unicast works fine both directions. Multicast sends from tap1 can be seen with tcpdump or Wireshark on tap0 but I see nothing on a socket subscribing on that interface.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MrMoo posted:

When using GNS3, why do I need to create bridged tap devices like this?

http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147181

Found an explanation, if obtuse,

https://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/virtualization/2008-July/011289.html

So ended up with the following,

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Powercrazy posted:

Since I'm fairly new I don't have intimate knowledge of the datacenter tech we may or may not use, but as far as I know we don't touch infiniband, iSCSI, FCoE, etc. Only GigE. We do have a SAN setup somewhere, but I don't know where yet.

You're muddling up technologies, you can use InfiniBand as a faster Ethernet or simply a very fast fabric. One use is for storage. Voltaire is currently pushing their systems in finance for messaging, i.e. use TIBCO or LBM on top with Ethernet shims or native IB verbs.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

For reference, some overly conservative latency figures on different fabrics by Apache Qpid:

• 1G TCP ~ .3ms -.5ms
  • 10G TCP - .18ms - .22ms
  • RDMA transport - 40μs - 80μs

ZeroMQ reached 13.4μs on IB, STAC Research report 10G at 38μs (19μs one-way) for LBM on Cisco 4900Ms using OpenOnload, I can manage 300μs on 1G UDP multicast at 32kpps.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 28, 2010

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

InferiorWang posted:

What's the defacto standard for dealing with multicast? Is it IGMP snooping or CGMP?

But you get to choose between sparse mode, sparse-dense mode, dense mode, or source-specific-multicast. Get your developers to update their poo poo to use SSM.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Docjowles posted:

This doesn't exist :confused:

2012?

Actually I think there is a multi-point server 2010, also 2011 and 2012 :lol:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Any play much with IKEv2 in iOS 9?

I managed to finally get EAP-TLS up and running because the client always sent an EAP request, I started with an Agile (Microsoft Windows 7) VPN configuration on StrongSwan using no-EAP certificate auth. The post to IETF suggests that no-EAP certificates should work though? I guess it needs an enterprise profile configuration to force the authentication method?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Methanar posted:

Can someone write some words about why you would ever want to use a software router/firewall like BIRD or vyOS instead of a hardware Cisco or Juniper product?

There are some interesting notes by Google or about Google or Facebook somewhere. Basically Cisco are completely unable to solve their network issues for any amount of money, and you know if they could it would be not even remotely financially viable.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I have it setup across three sites in CT, NJ, HK and test tools report it can yield lower latencies but I just don't know the best way forward with private networks to hide internals services to match the paradigms deployed for IPv4. It is a PITA having IPv4-only management interfaces on some hardware.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Moey posted:

At what point will I benefit with running it internally?

When there are IPv6-only services that are too tedious to access through a proxy, so almost never if you follow todays paradigm of operation. The real benefits are using public IPs for every host and scrapping NAT, see the usage cases for Windows DirectAccess. You would probably need a new generation of admins to start seeing this.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

sbyers77 posted:

I work for a small company that recently had a Security Risk Assessment done, and one of their recommendations was to install a higher-grade firewall.

An interesting note from the pfSense team on compliance issues:

quote:

Prospective pfSense users commonly inquire about the ability to meet security requirements applicable to their specific environments. Some of those include PCI, SOX, GLBA, HIPAA, amongst numerous other similar regulations for publicly traded companies, financial institutions, healthcare institutions, and others.

There are numerous companies in many regulated industries using pfSense that pass their audits with no problems, including all of the aforementioned regulations/standards amongst others. However it's important to keep in mind that a firewall is a small portion of the security infrastructure, and those regulations are more about policies, procedures, and configuration than the actual products being used.

So yes, pfSense can meet regulatory requirements, but that is dependent on configuration, policies, procedures, amongst other things - there is no compliance silver bullet. There may be circumstances specific to one company that make another product a better fit for compliance (or other) reasons, but that's true of all commercial and open source solutions, there is no one product that is a perfect fit for everyone.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Software licenses? Usually that's fibre switches though.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Methanar posted:

I might still need to embed Expect somehow to automate the SSH password part.

Just add SSH keys, simplifies everything?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FYI: just spotted an outstanding iOS and it appears Sierra feature with IKEv2 and Strongswan with MOBIKE & DPD should be resolved in the next revision of Strongswan (5.5.1):

https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/AppleClients

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Netgate appear to have released a new tiny system for upto 300mbps firewalls:

I wish they would swap over to USB-C or micro-USB powering instead of the terrible prop bricks.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Working with EdgeOS today and it has automatic firewall rules for DHCP but not for DHCPv6 :shrug: Took far too long to find that out. Also it appears some parameters changed format in releases, i.e. prefix-length went from a /56 to a 56 format, of course with no validation other than completely wiping the interface declaration on reboot. Nice.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

OpenVPN on EdgeOS died today for some reason and it wasn't obvious why so I replaced it with IKEv2 IPsec and it worked, and even went via IPv6. It is a good day.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody looked at the Azure Virtual WAN service?

Did you try it? Is it just ghetto MPLS with IPsec?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://coloradosun.com/2023/11/13/fastest-internet-service-terabits-denver-sc23/

This sounds pretty neat, 6Tb interwebs connection for a convention.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Eletriarnation posted:

Well, yes, IPv6 is also decades old at this point and your addressing system doesn't have much to do with how fast you're going.

Facebook and others use IPv6 because the headers are smaller and less processing needed in routing, something like 10% faster?

China raised an order that all new equipment must support IPv6, so it helps to court their monies no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Eletriarnation posted:

The headers aren't smaller, if you're just talking about raw IP traffic. IPv4 headers are 20 bytes and IPv6 headers are 40 bytes.

Technically IPv4 headers can be up to 60 bytes, but the real issue is the number of fields that network devices need to process. IPv6 reduces that from 6 to 4. Copying bytes is "free" in an ASIC, evaluating the content is not, hence why network switches are cheaper than network routers.

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2225063&seqNum=3

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

ipv6 is slower because it takes the computer longer to type the address in (it has more characters)

I like that devices end up with multiple addresses and some with short term lifetimes, idk how the designers of IPv6 expected the typical IT technician or network engineer to cope with that.

Like most apps record a device with a single IPv4 address, now you have multiple with different lifetimes, and each one very terse to read, awesome. Because mDNS is going to actually reliably work everywhere, any day now.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 15, 2023