Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bort posted:

It used to be recommended that you didn't use either all-zeroes or all-ones. That might be why they're saying that.

I'd wager the test definitely won't pull a gotcha question on that one, but I don't know for sure.

It won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ToG posted:

Well that's good to know. Is it still considered best practice not to use it?

I wouldn't due to the routing loop issue he mentioned earlier. Given how CIDR works these days, you really shouldn't find yourself in that situation, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mierdaan posted:

For anyone following me trying to figure out how ASA NAT works, it was simple in the end. Mostly I was confused trying to figure out what the point is of ACLs that don't actually permit/deny traffic, just exist for the purposes of matching traffic to a NAT ID.

The inside_outbound_nat0_acl access list was just for matching traffic for the NAT bypass. We just added two new ACL entries to our outside_access_in for the host we cared about, and static (inside,outside) <internal IP> <external IP>, bam, done.

When you get right down to it, a NAT is just dynamic policy based routing that uses control lists to source its mapping.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The $600 ones? And they only run at 5gbps? How affordable for small business applications.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, same here. Because if you're at the point where you need 5gbps of throughput on a switch stack, you're probably ready to move up to something a bit higher tier.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the best small-business router, anyway? Mikrotik looks like they've got some pretty legit hardware for next to nothing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

How many users, how much bandwidth, and what features do you need?

Say around 150 users with only 100 or so on at any given time. It'll be load balancing across 2-3 satellite links, possibly from different ISPs (so it'll need BGP and path control capabilities), and will need QoS.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

Are you getting full routes from your BGP peers, or advertising IP space, or are you just using it for dynamic failover?

Just from first glance I don't think you should be trying to go cheap with that kind of a setup. Full table BGP routes will eat up memory space, and QoS can make or break your CPU.

This is basically some pro-bono work with an organization that has a tight budget. I'm not entirely sure if the ISPs will provide full BGP routes because this is just kind of in the initial planning stage; it might be easier to use a simpler form of load-balancing and failover. Do 5505s do QoS? That would obviously offload a lot of the stress from the CPU.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I really wish Cisco would standardize their CLI commands between devices. I was working with a new ASA today and I broke down and installed ASDM because everything was completely different.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fatal posted:

Seems pretty standard to me, it's the IOS versions that change things dramatically, namely the difference between 8.2 and 8.4+
Well that's what I meant.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's y'all's opinion of the 4255? I have been super unimpressed with them so far after about a month of use, but then again the guy that I took them over from spent zero time tuning the signatures so maybe I'm not giving them a chance.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Langolas posted:

we went to Palo alto. Just made sense to us, their product is amazing

If both I and my boss continue to be unimpressed, maybe we'll start looking into PA for the next FY.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: Just saw that. That smil is a SIPRNet second level domain. Someone hosed up hahahahaha.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

When I worked in government, albeit local government, I remember extremely strong prohibitions against letting a network device that could have potentially sensitive data in it ever creep out of the organization. Password recovery was also disabled on everything (and verified as such via Solarwinds). I can only assume the Department of Defense is supposed to be more stringent. v:v:v

AFAIK, devices carrying classified or sensitive but unclassified information are supposed to be destroyed rather than sold as surplus. To give you an idea of how anal they are about technology - you can't even take a CD that's been in a classified computer and stick it in a machine of a lower classification or and unclassified network.

That's a pretty standard USG-wide warning, though, so for all we know it could have come from like the Forestry Service or BLM or something; non secret-squirrel parts of the government need to access them internets too, you know.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 28, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Unless they faked the config it appears to come from Special Operations Central Command and is configured with IPs in the 22.0.0.0/8 and 11.0.0.0/8 ranges. Pretty sure those guys are supposed to be super anal. Now it gets to have a rather boring existence serving truck engineers.

You'd be surprised at the kind of people who find their way into working on classified networks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every switch I pull out gets its flash memory and vlan.dat configuration erased. And then it's destroyed. And I don't even work on any classified devices.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

WhatsUp Gold FlowMonitor is pretty damned good, but it doesn't run on RHEL.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the advantage of using a nexus over a 6509 in that situation if the network follows a traditional hierarchical design?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ninja Rope posted:

Are you doing a lot of layer 7 load balancing? Why F5?

It's a managed hosting provider, so I'd imagine they're looking to load balance HTTP/HTTPS. I'm also guessing the convenience of the integrated IPS is appealing. Plus the font of the appliance looks pretty rad (this is important).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone ever used Ubiquiti's wired solutions? I've used their wireless stuff before; the price is certainly right.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You should've told him to get off his rear end and put out some CCNP books so we don't have to suffer through Odom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So I'm installing CSACS 5.3 in one of our networks that isn't running any version of ACS yet. I've had no problem getting 4.2 to work before, but for some reason I cannot get it to allow me into privileged/exec mode. It just keeps coming back with authentication failed each time; I've tried updating the command sets, shell profiles, and triple-checked the service selection rules and default access policies.

Any ideas?

e: I'm using TACACS
e2: Apparently acquisitions didn't purchase a support contract to go with this. Sigh.

e3: Figured it out. Under the shell profile, you have to actually go in and set "Maximum privilege level" to Static and then elevate it to 15. For some reason, 5.3 treats "Not in use" as an implicit deny of all privilege escalations.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 16, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm deploying a wireless network using ISE paired with a WLC 5508. The idea is to have two SSIDs: one that grants users unrestricted access without registration after they go to an Acceptable Use page (much like a coffee shop) and another where users will register and log in, followed by an AUP (much like a college campus).

The problem I'm having is that I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how the gently caress to implement the first SSID in ISE. The second one is pretty damned easy, but I seriously can't figure out how to just go straight to the AUP without authentication. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's something really stupidly obvious, because the ISE interface is confusing as poo poo. Using the AUP on the WLC is not an option; it has to be ISE.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm taking ROUTE in 4 weeks. From what I've gathered, the press book and lab manual go much farther into detail than is necessary.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm working on a wireless rollout right now. ISE has the least intuitive and most frustrating interface. Why the gently caress do we have to be an all Cisco shop?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BoNNo530 posted:

Can you tell me a little bit about it? My boss is starting to push for this, especially for wireless, and I just want to make sure we don't end up regretting it.

The RADIUS and AAA portion is easy enough to set up; most of the configuration will come on your WLC instead of ISE itself. The biggest problem I have with it is the organization of the menus. There's about 10-15 sub menus for each menu item, each of which are not aptly named for the function of the policy that they control. For someone who hasn't spent 10-15 hours setting it up, it will be a huge hassle to make even the smallest change. As someone who has spent 15 hours setting it up, the menus are still a colossal pain in the rear end.

With that said, if you can actually manage to get it set up (a feat in and of itself), it's actually quite good at what it does. The sponsor console is pretty straight forward and idiot proof (unlike the admin console, good lord). The self-service thing is good, but if you plan on using it go into it knowing you'll have to redesign the login screen to make it a bit more user friendly.

The reporting is okay: you can see active sessions, when a user has last logged in, which device they used, etc. The (stupid) big issue I'm going to face going before the senior executives is that because we put it in a separate broadcast domain from the WLC, we get an IP address instead of a MAC address. This isn't a huge deal due to a magical thing named ARP, but since they won't shut the gently caress up about how important it is to be able to track a MAC address (despite how easy it is to spoof one), I'm not looking forward to having to explain why it doesn't matter that we can't view it in the ISE console.

The device profiles setting has the potential to be very powerful, especially if you give half a gently caress about your users and don't mind setting up an alternate mobile login page/AUP so that they don't have to gently caress around with the clumsy normal login page.

All in all, I give it a C+. Okay, but not great.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think maybe my present to myself after completing the CCNP will be going to Vegas or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ragzilla posted:

5515 is rated for 15k new conn/sec, guessing that's tested in a configuration using all 4 built in interfaces (but can't find anything to support that), since this isn't bursty traffic even if you could make rxring deeper that's just going to trade decreased packet loss for latency. I'd have the security guy throttle down Nessus in this setup.

Yet another reason why Nessus is the worst thing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've recently determined that anything Cisco makes that isn't a router or switch is probably terrible. Like their IPS 4200 series ~*Sensor*~s.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Might have been linked a while back, but apparently Cisco is opening up EIGRP for multi-vendor support.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

falz posted:

Meh, stick with OSPF so you can actually be cross platform if you want to, regardless of whatever BS Cisco is saying aobut EIGRP being "Open".

But, but EIGRP is like a bajillion times easier to configure and maintain (in theory)!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Since we don't have a dedicated networking thread: what are the thoughts on Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter Lite? I'm going to be pairing it with a satellite connection to support about 160 users for a DIN. In particular, I'm interested in the internal firewall and QoS support. Won't be doing anything else crazy with it, just static routes for VLAN trunking.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Studying for ROUTE has made me so sick of OSPF.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Oh yeah, that one I knew. Doe the high end Cats run IOS proper or is it some sort of modified environment? I gather it's IOS running on a Unix kernel or something like that, but is the admin-facing interface much different from a regular IOS switch?

Higher end Cats run IOS. It's identical to any router IOS with the addition of a bunch of switching poo poo and stuff for line cards.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wired has done a series of puff articles about how it's going to change networking as we know it. But, uh, at least as far as I can tell it won't change much outside of large datacenters who need that flexibility. I'm also wondering how SDN will be more efficient than an ASIC with regards to packet switching.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

madsushi posted:

SDN is about the control layer, not the forwarding layer. You're still using ASICs on your forwarding plane and that's still happening on dedicated/purpose-built switching hardware. You're not stacking a whitebox with a lot of 4-port NICs.

The difference is replacing IOS/Junos/etc with an open software platform that allows you to control your network in ways that you couldn't before.

So it'll effectively allow you to make layer 3/4 decisions without regard to routing domain?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bluecobra posted:

Is per-packet load balancing necessary with 10GbE LACP port channels? I checked to see what hashing algorithm that our switches use and it is using source/destination IP, and source/destination TCP/UDP port per flow. In Linux we are setting the xmit_hash_policy to layer3+4 which generates the hash in the same fashion. On the systems we have to deal with, we will have other problems like disk I/O before a single connection saturates a 10GbE NIC.

Probably not, but 5-10 years down the line it might be necessary.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What's the opinion on Stonegates? We got two of them in for testing/deployment on a DIN and so far I've learned that the licensing process is kind of a pain in the rear end. I do like the interface a hell of a lot better than ASDM, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I did all of my studying for ROUTE with GNS3. Going to stock up on some 2950s and maybe a 3550 for Switch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

I did ROUTE before SWITCH, my reasoning was that my Layer 3 was weaker than Layer 2 so I wanted to make sure I could pass that first

Pretty much. I figured I'd get the harder stuff that I have less experience with out of the way first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Really sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (although this is the dedicated Cisco thread, so I wouldn't think so!), or if this sort of question isn't kosher - if it is I'll gladly remove the offending content - but anyway, I'm currently finishing up CCNA2 as part of a Network Administration course I'm doing, and I'm just wondering about which of the final pracs is regarded as the best/simplest/quickest to do, (since I'm running out of time - I've only got a few days left, and I've got the practice+final practical, plus a bunch of Packet Tracer assignments to do) as apparently there's a bunch you can choose from and their difficulty varies a little. (or at least, that's the impression I got from friends who did CCNA2 last semester - apparently the OSPF one is particularly tricky, according to one friend)

But yeah, I'm not looking for answers/solutions or anything like that, just a nudge in the direction of the practical assessment you guys think is the best one to take, if I just want to get it done ASAP before the end of term. Thanks for any advice given, I greatly appreciate it! (and sorry again if I shouldn't be asking this in here - the OP mentioned that CCNA questions are fine, but I dunno, I guess this kind of advice-seeking might be frowned upon, even though I'm not after answers)

If you're about to take the actual CCNA soon, brush up on OSPF, IPv6, access control lists, NAT, spanning-tree protocol, and VLANs/VTP.