Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Could someone give me an idea on BE and BC when it comes to setting policy maps?

Example:

Let's say I have a customer requesting 300mb connection.

code:
policy-map police-300mb
  class access-match
   police cir 300000000 bc 7812500 be 15625000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop violate-action drop policy-map
This is what I see currently the hardware. CIR limits th bandwidth to 300mb, correct? BE is excess burst, correct? Meaning if there is some congestion they could go over their limit by roughly 15mb?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Bardlebee posted:

I need some advise, fellow Network Engineers. I just got a job offer to work for a small business of roughly 25 people. In it, 5 of them are network engineers. The job will basically be a setup and design position for school districts and hospitals. Being a small business I doubt they will be able to pay me at the same rate as a large corporate network. The thing is they offer to teach me as I got, on the job training and what not.

I guess my concern is, should I wait for a larger corporation to offer me a position or is this a good offer I am getting here?

Some background for me, I just passed my CCNA and I have been working with routers and switches for about a year now. Beyond that I haven't worked with larger corporate protocols such as EIGRP or OSPF. Additionally I never had to be concerned with setting up cool stuff like Layer 3 switches. With my only a year of experience, is this the best job offer I may get?

Obviously I am not under the assumption that I will automatically get a corporate level position with my one whole year experience, but I was hoping for a corporate position for the pay and medical benefits. I guess the one things I was thinking this job offer really gave was experience. Right now I only have experience as a Network Administrator for one year (Cisco stuff included, I'm the only IT guy here) and 3-4 years of Help Desk. Should I just take the punches of working with a small company for the raw experience of being a Network Engineer?

Any advice would be great!

EDIT: Also in this economy I realize large corporations can be picky and I don't feel I have the 5+ years of pure network engineering everyone seems to want.

I'm in a similar situation. Kind of. I'm in a large ISP that gets to deal with BGP, EIGRP, fiber, T1, vwic, voip and voice vlans, etc. But I get paid about 20K less a year than I should be.

But I learn a ton. Should be getting CCNA within the next four or five months.

Here, though, it's kind of the exact opposite. I find 80K a year + jobs all the time, bjut they want you to be super Cisco admin + Windows support + everything else, and I don't want to really do that.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Bardlebee posted:

Anyone have an idea what the hell?

Why they wouldn't use spanning tree? No idea. Other than maybe they want to have a huge headache when some hardware fails.

As someone else mentioned, spanning-tree port-fast and switchport port-security violation restrict will solve issues of douche nozzles loving with your switch.

Bumping my Q

Could someone give me an idea on BE and BC when it comes to setting policy maps?

Example:

Let's say I have a customer requesting 300mb connection.

code:
policy-map police-300mb
  class access-match
   police cir 300000000 bc 7812500 be 15625000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop violate-action drop policy-map
This is what I see currently the hardware. CIR limits th bandwidth to 300mb, correct? BE is excess burst, correct? Meaning if there is some congestion they could go over their limit by roughly 15mb?

What I don't understand is why CIR is in bits, but bc and be are in bytes.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I had a very very similar issue like that. A PoE phone was bad. It worked fine whenever it was on an unpowered 3550 and had it's own power source. When we upgraded everything to 3750s and had all phones powered by PoE, this one phone basically started a spanning tree loop that brought down the entire intranet for our main office.

Took a good 5 hours to figure that out.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Whenever you have spanning tree loops you have to figure out where the TC Frames are coming from. Usually this is pretty easy as TC frames are always layer2, which means everything is restricted to one collision domain.

the other tip is to always use per-vlan spanning tree, this prevents say a lovely phone form sending TC frames on your primary vlan. The other thing you need to do during a spanning tree loop is to break the loop. That usually involves reloading or at least isolating one of the core switches. Once the loop is broken it hould take around 45 seconds to be up and running again.

Isn't PVST on automatically?

Also, we use Calix ONTs for fiber and have somewhat high fail rate with them. We also use Myrio for our IPTV stuff and I hate it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

I turned up some additional transit with Cogent the other day, and I hadn't before seen their approach to BGP:

You have a /30, and you neighbor with the other end of the /30, which they term the 'A' peer. That peer advertises you a /32 to their route-server, which you ebgp-multihop with, and that gives you the routes you're actually taking from Cogent.

It was a neat idea, but I had never before seen that type of design.

This is kind of how they all work though, isn't it?

/32 is still within the /30 range, and is where their BGP routes come from. Route server is basically dedicated hardware to issue routes instead of having to waste processing time on a router, plus easier BGP management per customer.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 22, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

If each VLAN is a subnet, what do you do when the other half of your subnet is at a different physical location? I don't know, or else I wouldn't be asking.

Depends on how you want to do it. Layer 3 then subinterface your interfaces on the routers and encapsulate them to carry over the vlan tags. Create a DHCP pool one one router, put an interface vlan ### on each switch with management IPs, and you should be set to go.

Or just trunk one switch to another.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
BGP, IIRC, will always require some form of internal routing.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I have a 2811 that loses it's running config on reload. The saved config stays fine. Copy start run brings it right back to where I want it.

What can I do to fix this?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Do you do 'copy run start' before you reload?

It will still be wiped once it reloads.

I'll get config register tomorrow. I'm doing late night updates out in the field right now.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Then my vote is your config register is 0x2402

Configuration register is 0x2142

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

PainBreak posted:

Not entirely, 100% Cisco, but I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around this today. I was presented with the following question:

If you telnet into a Cisco switch, and you have a device on a switchport that has a static IP of 192.168.4.2, what is the easiest way to communicate with that device via telnet? Set up a temporary vlan for 192.168.4.* and put that switchport into the vlan?

Here's the gist of what's going on. One PoE device is being installed per switch, on approximately 285 switches in approximately 27 locations. The PoE device is set to 192.168.4.2 from the factory. It needs to be set to DHCP and thrown in the appropriate VLAN, and that can be done via Telnet. The 192.168.4 subnet/scope doesn't exist on these switches, so you can't just telnet via the switch itself.

I'm trying to find a way for my guys to avoid going to 27 different campuses, walking to each IDF, plugging their laptop in, just to make a minor configuration change on that device.

Any recommendations?

Telnet into the switch and from the switch telnet into the PoE device to make your changes?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
We use Lucent and... uh... Tel...something? That's another department. Only time we use Cisco for that stuff is basically for routing purposes only.

VOIP is a huge bitch.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Voip problem here. PoE Polycom phones require static IPs (for some reason) and often lose the ability to make/receive calls. Phones are registered in the ARP table and pingable from the Gateway and the Switch.

We have a Cisco router on a stick out in a remote location handling three 3750s. Everything inside is NATed to a public IP that's assigned to the router. The router is behind a cable modem. There are three VLANS. One for physical access to serve PCs. One for the wireless LAN controllers. One for VOIP phones. Each VLAN has it's own IP range and each range has a DHCP pool and .1 0 .50 is reserved through each pool. Gateway has sub interfaces to carry the individual vlan tags across the point to point to our internet equipment.

And that's all I got.

No problems with wireless or PCs and their connectivity. Phones will stay working for an indeterminable amount of time until problem. Bouncing the interface does nothing. Phones have to basically be reset and IP put back in.

On the DHCP pool for the phones we have option 66 enabled, another option I can't think of off the top of my head, and a "default-router" that supposedly points the phones to an FTP/config server.

An earlier problem that was fixed with static IPs on the phones was, we believe, created by the phones booting and trying to contact the FTP/config server before it gets an IP address from the DHCP pool. It would attempt to contact server, time out, not pull any config information, and then sit there dead.

So I guess I have two VOIP problems, as a solution to either would basically make my day and, honestly, would put an end to a several months long problem.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

How are you assigning the VLAN to the polycom phones? Are you using "voice vlan"?

Yup. Running auto qos voip trust on the interface as well.

I'll give these ideas a shot fellas. Really really appreciate it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
code:

ip dhcp pool Church-VOIP
   network ##.##.##.## ##.##.##.##
   option 2 hex ffff.aba0
   option 66 ip ##.##.##.##
   default-router ##.##.##.##
   dns-server ##.##.##.## ##.##.##.##
   lease 233
Here's my DHCP pool. Have IP instead of ASCII on Option 66 so I'll get the VOIP guys to give me the fix for that. And yes, we have VOIP people and they're not doing a good job, which is why it's coming down to me. Hey, steal their thunder, merit based raise, happy Zuh, and I buy you guys a beer. ;)

These phones are registereding to a Broadsoft server but I can't recall if it's on the public network or if it's on the private, but I do know that at least with the DHCP pool the Option 66 IP was an IP on our public range and everything else was private.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Our engineers spend most of their time in NetCracker.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone noticing anything strange with XO/L3? Cogent is dropping packets according to the IHR and while checking our connections in PRTG I noticed some weird spikes/drops on our other two backend connections.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Apr 20 2011 08:13:26: %ASA: Deny IP due to Land Attack from 11.11.11.11 to 11.11.11.11.

Keep seeing this on our firewall logs. We've tracked it down to a user's Mac Book. Not seeing it happen with any other Apple products that hit our wifi network or any other laptop.

Any idea what could cause this?

EDIT

Just to be clear, I know what this type of attack is. But what would cause this to come from legitimate user on a Macintosh computer?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 20, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I took the IP out since we have very sensitive stuff on our network. But it's the same IP in and out. It is valid. It's a NAT'd IP as well.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
His laptop syncs with DropBox, a (Apple's?) cloud computing service. Thinking this may have something to do with it.

EDIT

Nope.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 20, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

Wow, didn't think I'd bump into this problem again... Any of you guys ever find a good way to do NAT reflection on IOS?

I've got a customer who's running a small web server on his LAN and doing a single port NAT to that local IP. Of course his other machines behind the NAT can't reach the public IP.

Assuming he has a Cisco router on his end, it should be something as simple as setting up a DHCP pool for the IP addresses and then make sure to do the IP NAT Inside Overload command.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

DarthJon posted:

Can't use TFTP, have to use SSH

Maybe a TCL script?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
What all should I focus on for the CCNA outside proper subnetting and proper acl creation?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

Can you pick out which ports on which switch will be in what state given base switch MAC addresses?

No idea what this means. :P

We ordered a 10 gig card for some 6500s. The big wigs were throwing around "switching fabric" and "sups" and I was mostly out of the loop. Mostly something about the Sup needing to failover to an earlier version or something or the other.

Anyone clarify? My team will be making the actual swaps, and the co worker that's more knowledgeable on the matter is away for the next few days to answer any questions I may have.

One of the reasons I ask about Fabric is cause the Wiki entry on it doesn't jive with what I assumed it to mean.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 9, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Question.

6500 (FA) to a 3750(Gig) to a customer. Noticed one of our customers was running half duplex on our 3750. 6500 was set duplex auto. No specific duplex settings on the 3750. Set Duplex Full and the 3750 int goes down. Set to Duplex Auto and it comes back up. Duplex Auto Speed 100 int goes down. No duplex settings Speed 100 and it's half duplex. 6500 has been full duplex the whole time.

So I remove all duplex/speed provisions from the 3750 and do similar testing 6500. Same issue. Tried a new cable. Same issue. Then I clear all duplex/speed provisions from the 6500 and the 3750 bumps up to full duplex.

Just curious as to what exactly happened.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, sorry. Basically we have a 6500 core router that hands off certain traffic to a distro 3750 that then sends that off to a layer 2 transport network. Some time that's us,sometimes it's AT&T, etc. Noticed the issue when we were checking something else related to flood outages and the like.

6500 was always full duplex. When I first looked at it last Thur it was full Duplex, had Duplex Auto. That is the only provisioning. 3750 side had no duplex or speed provisioning and was half duplex. Duplex auto kept it at half. Forced duplex full shut it down. Speed 100 shut it down. Etc etc.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

tortilla_chip posted:

Disabling auto-neg disables auto mdix. Use a crossover cable.

I was/still am. :(

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

tortilla_chip posted:

What does

sh controllers ethernet-controller fastEthernet 1/0/1 phy | i MDIX

on the 3750 show?

Nothing. No MDIX line in the phy properties.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Rebooting core 6500 and our ASRs next week to upgrade iOS and install 10 gig blades and modules.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone here have experience with EIGRP Authentication?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Doing some research and gonna build a lab. Only concern is whether or not we have to roll EIGRP authentication out on every device at the same time in order to avoid having neighbors cut off from each other.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
10 gig Cisco modules have these big huge heat sinks on them.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Anyone having any trouble with Level 3 tonight?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
We got a ticket in with them. They just completely died on us. Hmmm.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

falz posted:

Probably something local to you. Call it i and check their looking glasses for info about your net and the link net you peer with them on. We went for years without having a single issue with them to having multiple issues this year.

Their circuit with us malfunctioned some how. When we shut our side down they were trouble shooting the wrong issue. They got it fixed around 3am. :(

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

FatCow posted:

The longer you use Level 3 the more you realize that something is always broken somewhere with them. They are my least favorite transit provider, behind Cogent and XO even. God help you if you don't take full routes from them and expect to route to other parts of your network. We used to have weekly blackholeing of data between their data centers.

Actually we've had more problems with Cogent. Part of our problem last night was that they were NOT advertising a default route to us via BGP so when Level 3 crashed our ASR was left with no where to go. We get partial from XO and Cogent and full with Level 3.

When we asked them about this, they told us it was out fault for not specifically telling them we want a default route. And I'm sitting there thinking "Are you loving kidding me?"

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

routenull0 posted:

Why not have a backup weighted static route?

How can I give priority to default routes advertised over BGP?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

Solarwinds NetFlow module for Orion.

It's okay.

I like Plixer's Scrutinizer's graphs better, but it's probably not robust enough for your needs.

Ain't that the truth.

I turned up 100 megs of transit with them about six months ago, and we've been pretty much problem-free. Of course, they were brought in as an inexpensive secondary transit provider. I'm not sure they'd ever be my first choice.

If you're working with a bunch of budget transit providers or re-sold Level3, or what have you, full tables hardly makes sense: odds are good everything's ending up in the same place. At least, that's been my anecdotal experience.

We have peers with XO, Cogent, and L3. L3 we have full routing tables, partial with the other two. They're our back ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I just had a 3750 crash on me. Plugged it into the RPS. Cycled the RPS into active, and boom, one of the 3750s goes down.