Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Can anyone explain why the 4th address in this routing table was only compressed to :0: and not just :: ?

My cisco teacher insisted that it was because it was in the network portion of a routable address but that didn't sound right to me. Someone on IRC linked me to this (https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/64105) discussion which touches on it but doesn't give a real definitive answer and certainly doesn't cite any authoritative sources. Was my teacher right? Is there some other Ciscoy explanation? Is the Netacad curriculum just crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

ragzilla posted:

Your teacher is wrong, it's how the RFC is written.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5952#section-4.2.2

code:
4.2.2.  Handling One 16-Bit 0 Field

The symbol "::" MUST NOT be used to shorten just one 16-bit 0 field.
   For example, the representation 2001:db8:0:1:1:1:1:1 is correct, but
   2001:db8::1:1:1:1:1 is not correct.

Thank you very much, I thought I had looked at the RFC but I must have missed that part.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Colonial Air Force posted:

Hi, total Cisco newb. What is this? Why won't it just configure easily so I can move on? :(

I'm not opposed to using CLI for the first steps, I just don't know how.

Info means info, warning means warning, brexit means brexit. . .

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
My problem seems so boring compared to the cool poo poo you guys are doing but I guess we all have to start somewhere. Does anybody have a good solution for running Packet Tracer on a high DPI screen? I just got a new laptop and it looks terrible, the fonts scale to way too big and the icons don't scale at all, it's totally unusable and I'd really rather not be limited to only studying at home on my desktop. Has anyone remade the PT labs in GNS3? I guess Cisco would probably consider that :filez: and shut it down.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I just set up VyOS on a VM in my home lab to handle all the network traffic for both my lab and general household use. I was pretty impressed with how easy it was and totally think that it would be worth considering an enterprise support contract if it fits your needs. Depending on how quickly you need to update you might want to wait until 1.2 which I believe will change the routing daemon being used away from quagga or whatever it was that vyatta used.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

CrazyLittle posted:

They waited out pretty much everyone's support terms and/or did not renew contracts before the sale

Vyatta 5 used Quagga, Vyatta 6.x moved over to ZebOS
VyOS uses Quagga
EdgeOS uses ZebOS.

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that VyOS was trying to move away from it but I can't find it from my phone right now.

I haven't been able to really push VyOS much, I can certainly saturate all my links but I only have 1GBs on my home network. What was your hardware like when you couldn't push it above 8? What was your hardware like at 20?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
This is probably fine, right?
https://bgpmon.net/popular-destinations-rerouted-to-russia/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
This seems like the best place to ask:

Do any of you have experience with exporting portable projects from gns3 and including the base images with IOU images? I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work. lovely IOSv images export with base just fine. This is from a remote server set up, so I can't even use the GUI help option to dump debug data and the single gns3 log on the server is useless.

If not, do one of you kind people have gns3 set up to use IOU? If so would you be willing to test my portable project and see if you can import it?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

Sepist posted:

This is more wifi than networking, but meh.

In Meraki world, if I want to trigger an email alert if an asset disappears from the wifi network, I would need to buy System Manager? Retail customer wants to track wireless POS units and alert if they walk out the door, I mentioned RFID but they want to know what they can do with their existing infrastructure. Meraki makes it sound like I need system manager to get the alerting feature of this solution.

It's kinda duct tape and bubblegum, but couldn't you just write a powershell/bash/whatever script to ping it every minute and send an alert if it fails two or three times in a row?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
I'm using k8s in AWS and it's basically for the reason already mentioned, it makes deployment easier. It's easier and quicker to work with docker images than full AMIs. We can scale services more quickly adding pods than we can spinning up new EC2s, and when we do need to scale nodes we can turn on a single new node and scale several services at once instead of waiting for multiple EC2s to come up. It's quicker to roll back broken changes, and HA/fail-over is faster too. I'm still just an SRE babby, I'm sure someone else on my team could explain in more detail but the up front cost of getting kubernetes configured correctly and running has paid off for us in stability and velocity. Our kubernetes environment is more stable and more flexible than either our traditional EC2 fleet or our ECS managed container infra.

I'm starting to gently caress around with kubeless now too, which so far looks like it's a solution in desperate search of a problem but is still fun to play with. Sorry, I know this has strayed away from Cisco chat, but I'd be very interested to hear if any of you on-prem k8s folks are using kubeless. It seems like it might make more sense there than in AWS.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
well the question of moving to a purely serverless architecture is valid for some workloads, but that's going to require a major shift in the way many services are designed. Lots of people have containers that they're using right now, using kubernetes to orchestrate them in the interim makes sense, especially since serverless is pretty new and hardly mature. Containers in general are much more portable than serverless is, I know that multi-cloud is mostly a myth, and data gravity is the main driver of cloud lock-in but I'd still be hesitant to tie my entire code-base to a cloud vendor specific serverless implementation at this point in the game.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo

madsushi posted:

First, subnets start at 0, so a /22 would be 10.1.0.0 - 10.1.3.254, so you know.

For > /24.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
We just had an old unmanaged switch that sat under our block of 8 desks pop up on a security audit as a potential vulnerability. The next day it was gone (with the octopus of wires left dangling) and they apparently don't plan to replace it. I was told I could try to find an empty port on a network drop, but there isn't one. So it's WiFi only for my team. lol, thanks guys. I'm tempted to ask for 300 feet of cat6 to just run from my docking station to an empty port across the office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Scratchmo
At Seattle Central they used to require three CCNA classes for an AS and an additional three CCNP classes as part of the BAS track but they recently dropped the CCNP in favor of more cloud type stuff. We worked on things like open daylight and NSX in the last one that I took.