Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slightly off topic question, but I didn't see a general Enterprise Networking thread.. What's your favorite way to paint pretty pictures of your network? The stock Visio stencils are awful (at least in Visio 2010 which is what I have) and google hasn't helped me find something much better. Ideally I'd like some simple but attractive 2D shapes.

(I did find Crayon Network Shapes but I think my superiors would question my sanity more than they already do if I used that. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Seconding Network Warrior. Even for an experienced network administrator it's a good read.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

They forgot the "delusional competence" which is usually the third step, where people have learned a little and think they know it all.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'd be curious to know what kind of home network you have that requires that level and amount of networking hardware.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Does anyone know why some Aironet 3702i would trigger BPDU guard on a connected Cisco 2960-X, while most others don't? As far as I can see the configuration in the APs are identical.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

1998 called and wanted their clip art back.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Is it an autonomous AP? Because if so, I'd say because it is sending tagged frames.
Turned out to be a firmware bug. :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lol Forbes. "Turn off your ad blocker to continue." :fuckoff:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't that just a regular IEC C13 connector?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah just get a $5 one from your nearest electronics store.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can probably find C15 cables for no more than $10-15 too if you look around. They're used on electric kettles, space heaters and other things that draw 1KW or more, nothing super special about them apart from a higher heat tolerance.

fake edit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0091F8F1G

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

unknown posted:

1st beer gave you the route to #2 which gave you all the routes.
Bribing the network administrator with alcohol always helps.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Veth posted:

We don't have a dedicated IT staff (75-person company)
:stare:

Do you have an MSP handling stuff, or?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At a certain point it's less hassle to just factory reset the device and rebuild the configuration.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Use lots of velcro bands and keep runs as short as possible without blocking any units. Consider what happens when a switch shits the bed and needs to be replaced.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This also highlights another good practice, sandwich your switches and panels so you keep runs as short as possible. Don't put all your switches at the top with the panels below or vice versa.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's why I always switch Putty to right-click-menu.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I hate all kinds of connections that need to be screwed in place. VGA, DVI, any proprietary connector with screws, all can go die in a fire. Even serial DB9 can gently caress right off, use 8P8C.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can't fix stupid. They'd do the same with screw-in connectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cisco wishes you all happy holidays with a well timed gift:

https://twitter.com/jschauma/status/1208039264350543873